Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Evening Sub Standard

Comments

• So, I'm not the only one p*ssed off with the Standard. It definitely went down hill when the Russians bought it.

But the football coverage is what winds me up more than anything. It looks like they're buying it in and so getting national type coverage, like the Metro. If people want to read about Manchester City, then they can read any of the nationals. There's no excuse whatsoever for not having covered our so important win against Leeds.

There's an outside chance of about ten London teams in the Championship next year plus others in One and Two - we all should expect decent coverage in a London paper.
  • edited April 2014
    Stopped getting The Standard in 2001 when they stopped publishing the Bristow cartoon strip.

Still get an occasional fix here though! frankdickens.com/

Who could possibly forget "The Great Tea Trolley Disaster of '67"?
  • cafcfan said:

Stopped getting The Standard in 2001 when they stopped publishing the Bristow cartoon strip.

Was it as long ago as that? If I remember it correctly, was it not the front off side that went?
  • Redrobo said:

cafcfan said:

Was it as long ago as that? If I remember it correctly, was it not the front off side that went?
    bloody hell I am used to being dated but Bristow? Remember him.
  • cabbles said:

The Metro is even worse for mentions of London football clubs.

Has the same sport pages in all the different editions around the country.
    That's poor. It should be a national brand but delivered locally. Radio does it.
    The Metro's even worse. Today they led with a guy in India who eats bricks. Cutting edge journalism

There used to be a barmaid in the Pickwick who liked to suck rocks.

or something like that.
  • I quite like the Standard - clearly am in a minority.

The Metro is truly dreadful, but I sometimes pick one up if there's been rain - makes for a handy covering to put on a wet seat on the train platform.
  • edited April 2014

The Standard is an appalling local rag. This is brought even more starkly into focus by the fact that it serves the greatest city in the world.

New York?
    Nah, as much as New York is a great city - it has 2 major downers in comparison to London...
    1) None of the 'real' Heritage that London has
    2) The rudest locals on the planet.
  • The Standard is an appalling local rag. This is brought even more starkly into focus by the fact that it serves the greatest city in the world.

New York?
    Nah, as much as New York is a great city - it has 2 major downers in comparison to London...
    1) None of the 'real' Heritage that London has
    2) The rudest locals on the planet.
    I agree, it was only a joke I should add.
  • 7 pages of sport

1/2 page report on Sheff U v Brentford

Zero mention of us after last night.

Strange, strange paper

Strange isn't a word that springs to mind!
  • The Standard is an appalling local rag. This is brought even more starkly into focus by the fact that it serves the greatest city in the world.

New York?
    Derby?
  • Sponsored links:

• No mention tonight of tomorrow's game, Man City got a nice write up though!
  • valleyfan said:

No mention tonight of tomorrow's game, Man City got a nice write up though!

I understand if it was about Man U .
  • 7 pages of sport

1/2 page report on Sheff U v Brentford

Zero mention of us after last night.

Strange, strange paper

Remember when they had a decent journo covering Charlton?
    Danny Chevalier or something like that.

;o)

• We actually got a report today. Somebody from the Standard must have seen this thread.
  • Think they referred to Solly as a midfielder?
  • Yep...Wilson back on Saturday... Riga signed a short term deal and might be offered longer if we stay up...Dervite talking up Riga.
  • Think they referred to Solly as a midfielder?

They did indeed...Solly, the midfielder hopes to play again this season but will not be rushed back!
  • The Metro is even worse for mentions of London football clubs.

Report on Wigan v Brum game but nothing on our game, confirming it's status as reported above!
  • The Metro is even worse for mentions of London football clubs.

Report on Wigan v Brum game but nothing on our game, confirming it's status as reported above!
    If this is supposed to be a London Paper then then the whole sports team should be sacked.

• No there is. Someone just came in with one and i went had a look. Well i went to moan actually and there's a big picture and article.
  • Sponsored links:

• Think he meant there was no mention in the Metro this morning.
  • Plaaayer said:

Think he meant there was no mention in the Metro this morning.

ah yes sorry just read the title... there was absolutely no report in the Metro which irked me.
  • I couldn't believe it either to be honest, yet there was a whole page interview with Mertersaker when Arsenal played on Monday and don't play again till Sunday.
  • So was the angry email I sent to the Standard's Sport Editor unnecessary?
  • Apparently according to The Sub Standard Crystal Palace shared their ground with Charlton 1985 to 1986... Do they ever get any of their facts right about us?
  • Apparently according to The Sub Standard Crystal Palace shared their ground with Charlton 1985 to 1986... Do they ever get any of their facts right about us?

We wear their ignorance as a badge of honour.

:-)

• It's deliberate and not even funny anymore.
  • The bit about Selhurst said words along the lines of "Crystal Palace helped Charlton and Wimbledon out by letting them groundshare".

******s
  • 85-86. Incredible.