Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

The Boys of Summer - The 2014 Baseball Season

1235»

Comments

• If the Giants win can it be considered a dynasty?
  • Mmm they will need to buck up tonight in game 7 in order to achieve any dynastic ambitions ;-)
  • As a neutral, am considering staying up late tonight / tomorrow morning for this. Be big news in US sports if the perennial loser Royals win it all.
  • Yes, onto game 7. And for the dynasty question I would say, not even close.
  • Tempted to stay up through the night myself but difficult with work tomorrow so will probably watch the game tomorrow night. I certainly won't touch the radio or TV before I see the game although with not that much interest over here I should be able to avoid the result OK. I would like to see the Royals win it in a close game tomorrow but whatever what a cracking series this has been. Roll on next season.
  • Yes, it has been a great series. I would say the Royals are now favourites as they've grabbed the momentum but you never know with these Giants.

It's all in the pitching. Go Giants!!!
  • 3-2 Giants Win game 7. Bumgarner was incredible
  • The star pitcher was ultimately the difference between yo well matched clubs.
  • Amazing, 3 times in five years. Well done the Giants!
  • Well done the Giants, turning into a dynasty now. See you in the NLCS next year.

Royals unlikely to come up against a pitcher in such form. They should come again next year is they can added some more HR hitters

See all you Baseball lovers around March/April when Spring training
  • Sponsored links:

• Now, that was amazing. My head is hurting a bit this morning.

Would you believe it. This year was different than the last 2. This team has no real stars but they know how to work together as a team. And Bumgarner, well, what is there to say!

Big parade in downtown SF tomorrow. I may go but I've already been to two of these since 2010 so it's all getting old hat really. :-)

Go Giants!!!!!!!!!
  • That's the way to do it.
    Incredible stats for MadBum!
  • MrOneLung said:

If the Giants win can it be considered a dynasty?

Rob said:

Yes, onto game 7. And for the dynasty question I would say, not even close.

Well done the Giants, turning into a dynasty now. See you in the NLCS next year.

Now I am confused !!!
  • MrOneLung said:

MrOneLung said:

If the Giants win can it be considered a dynasty?

Rob said:

Yes, onto game 7. And for the dynasty question I would say, not even close.

Well done the Giants, turning into a dynasty now. See you in the NLCS next year.

Now I am confused !!!
    I guess its down to personal opinion. 3 in 5 is obviously impressive, however they didn't make the play offs in the other 2 seasons. Last year they were 2nd from bottom in NL West. This year into play offs as a wild card and world series success was arguably down to one man. Lets give them another year.
  • Fantastic game 7 to end a great season. Those pesky Giants do it again, all credit to them and to the Royals for a great WS. One day my Dodgers will do them but not sure when that will be.
  • Regarding the Dynasty thing. I live in SF and even locals think calling them a 'dynasty' at the moment is a bit over the top. A great team though. So, the question is, what constitutes a dynasty?
  • Big rumours that Sandoval is off to the Red Sox. We need a third baseman so hoping this happens.
  • He can hit as well.
  • Not sure about Panda at the Red Sox. Big 3B don't age well so he would have to move to 1B and DH. Then you're paying big money to an average player at a power position.

He's also after 100m+ and a long deal. I'd want 3 years or 4 max, maybe overpay slightly to get the years down. He's had a great post season but his regular season numbers have been declining.

He's a good player but I wouldn't want to pay 15m+ for 5 or more years, and right now his agent would consider that a lowball offer.

I'd rather sign a veteran like Headley and work Cecchini in slowly to give him a chance. WMB needs to focus on putting his swing back together or he is done in this league.
  • edited November 2014
    Jdredsox said:

Not sure about Panda at the Red Sox. Big 3B don't age well so he would have to move to 1B and DH. Then you're paying big money to an average player at a power position.

He's also after 100m+ and a long deal. I'd want 3 years or 4 max, maybe overpay slightly to get the years down. He's had a great post season but his regular season numbers have been declining.

He's a good player but I wouldn't want to pay 15m+ for 5 or more years, and right now his agent would consider that a lowball offer.

I'd rather sign a veteran like Headley and work Cecchini in slowly to give him a chance. WMB needs to focus on putting his swing back together or he is done in this league.

Then again his transition to DH would be just in time to replace Big Papi who can't go on forever.

Whatever happens we need a third baseman as I am not convinced Middlebrooks will make it (rumours abound he has fallen out of love with the game), and Garin Cecchini isn't ready. We also need two frontline pitchers to compliment Kelly, Buchholz and maybe De La Rosa. Shields appears to be one, but I prefer the proven post season performance of a Lester or Scherzer. I would have Shields replacing Lackey as the number two in the rotation.
  • Sponsored links:

• So that Stanton contract then....
  • colthe3rd said:

So that Stanton contract then....

Lol. $325 million. Not bad.
  • And for a team that will most likely win naff all in that time.

In other news, Red Sox have major interest in Sandoval, Lester (bizarre when we could have got him for less before he went to Oakland) and Hamels.
  • Heyward acquired by the cardinals yesterday.... looks like my Brewers are in for an ass whooping
  • Well boys, spring training is off and running. Baseball season is here once again! Another WS for the Giants? Will the rebuilt Cubs actually be decent? Will Phillies fans stop acting like Millwall supporters? We'll have to wait and see
  • Got tickets to see my Red Sox away at the trop against tampa in late April, can't wait.
  • I can't wait for it all to start up again, despite the lack of sleep that can occur because of it!

Kershaw seems to have started Spring training in great form for the Dodgers - how do you even go about hitting that guy?!
  • this thread is so last year.

join the new one.
  • MrOneLung said:

this thread is so last year.

join the new one.

Or the thread title could just be changed to 2015
  • Nvm, I'm a moron