Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

The Boys of Summer - The 2014 Baseball Season

Comments

• Options
    That'll do nicely. Sets up a WS between the only two teams that I have actually seen play on their home grounds. Go Giants!
  • Options
    Yes. GO GIANTS!!!!!
  • Options
    Well done the Giants.

Will be cheering on our fellow Missouri team Kansas City in the WS. No stars but a solid defence

Two wild card teams as well.
  • Options
    I'm in San Francisco at the moment and went to the game tonight.

Have been watching this series on TV here and trying to learn the rules so had a basic idea of what was going on, but as a first 'live' experience of a
    a game it was really enjoyable.

Didn't expect to get as interested as I have in the sport and will certainly be following it more closely in the future.

And...Go Giants!
  • Options

I'm in San Francisco at the moment and went to the game tonight.

Have been watching this series on TV here and trying to learn the rules so had a basic idea of what was going on, but as a first 'live' experience of a
    a game it was really enjoyable.

Didn't expect to get as interested as I have in the sport and will certainly be following it more closely in the future.

And...Go Giants!

Glad you are a convert.

Bloody love this sport. So much depth to it and things going on both on the field and tactically from the bench/bullpen.
  • Options
    Will have to dig out my Giants jersey.
  • Options
    I shall be wearing mine this afternoon...
  • Options
    edited October 2014
    Always had a soft spot for The Royals - the most eastern club in the west with the Cards being the most western club in the east!

Remember seeing a Nicky Horne Channel 4 highlights package on New Years Day of their 4-3 come from behind win over the Cards - riveting stuff when the Great Dane made the winning hit deep into the 9th of game 6. Still get goose bumps when reminiscing!

Also like the small town underdog out gunning big city franchise by playing tough ball on steals and not giving away hits and runs.
  • Options
    As happens every postseason for me, I find myself wishing baseball was given a bit more attention by British broadcasters. (Even though I'm in Dubai now - but coverage here is similar to the UK)
    I'm always surprised no UK broadcaster has made a renewed effort to corner this market recently as opposed to some cable channels simply showing the American coverage.
    Admittedly, the demand may be a problem as it's a bit difficult to watch the live games in the UK unless you're willing to pull an all-nighter, but once you understand the game, it really is compelling viewing. The trouble is, not enough people do know the game, so watching the American style of presentation will often go over the heads of new viewers - they seem to assume that everyone knows the rules, the acronyms, what the stats mean, even the types of pitch.
    British style studio analysis would add to the entertainment of the game and would definitely help new viewers in Britain to understand and enjoy the game. 'Baseball on 5' did this for me around about 1999/2000. I may never have got hooked were it not for this programme.
    As cheesy as it often was, I genuinely miss 'Baseball on 5' with Jonny Gould and Josh Chetwynd. It already had cult status by the time it finished and I often wonder if Channel 5 missed a trick on this. They obviously made an economic decision to pull the show, but in all honesty, I really can't see that it would have been all that expensive to make.

Maybe we'll see something like it again some time. I doubt it, unfortunately.
  • Options
    I agree with you but generally there are enough games on ESPN and Baseball Tonight etc. which is fine for fans of the sport but it won't ever grow the interest in the UK. As you've said it is difficult to watch a lot of the games given the timings which is part of the reason the NFL has flourished here with Sunday evening a perfect time to be shown in the UK.

I also loved baseball on 5, it was terrible at times but good fun.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited October 2014
    You're right, of course, @colthe3rd‌ , but that's the problem - ESPN, BT Sport or whatever show the U.S. coverage that's fine for me, you and other established fans, but if you try to watch it through the eyes of a baseball novice, it's often near incomprehensible.
  • Options
    edited October 2014
    Gould and Chetwynd carried me through the Red Sox 2004 and 2007 WS titles. Thought they were a great duo. I remember that they were accepting e-mails (and texts before that) and I must have had at least 20 read out over the years. There was basically nobody else tuned in at 2am!

Do miss the C5 coverage, and I agree that they made a real effort to explain things to those newly in to the sport.
  • Options
    I must have been the only other person watching then!

The channel 5 coverage was cheaply produced to fill up their overnight schedule but the enthusiasm of Jonathon Gould and knowledge of Josh Chetwynd really sold it. After listening to the 1986 world series on a hissy, scratchy AFN broadcast from Germany (with frequent interference from opera!) the 2004 series on C5 was like paradise!

The game needs something similar again in the UK to build a bigger following, but I doubt BT Sport will ever make the effort.
  • Options
    Don't be so harsh on BT, I'm just happy we are able to watch games on British TV again.
  • Options
    Lol. True enough. Not meaning to criticise any of the channels really, just wish one of them would take a proper punt on baseball for a british audience.
  • Options
    I must admit I never saw this coming from the Giants because they've had such a meh year.

They started off great, I think they had the best record in the Majors by the end of May, but then it was all downhill what with a succession of injuries and just mediocre play through the rest of the season.

In fact entering the playoffs is usually about momentum but the Giants played lousy through most of the summer and lost nine of their last 15 games in September, only just squeezing into the playoffs with the last wild card spot.

So, I'll take it. This has been a fantastic post season for both the Giants and Royals and I think the World Series will be compelling viewing. This will be tough for the Giants though. The Royals really are on a hot streak and in early September the Giants went to Kansas in inter league play and were swept and outscored by the Royals 16-6 in a 3 game series.

But this is now and you never know with these Giants!!!!!!!!!!
  • Options
    edited October 2014
    I always have this thought around October. And I may well be biased.

But do you think we will ever see anything quite like the Red Sox winning the 2004 World Series (now that even made the front pages of the UK papers)?

That is almost up there with the play off final for me.

The closest I can imagine the sport coming would surely be the Cubs winning it.
  • Options
    Cubbies winning the WS would be big news everywhere, much bigger IMO than the Red Sox in '04.
    You're right that the Red Sox breaking an 86 year 'curse' was big, but the Cubs breaking a barren spell of more than a century would take the cake.
  • Options

Cubbies winning the WS would be big news everywhere, much bigger IMO than the Red Sox in '04.
    You're right that the Red Sox breaking an 86 year 'curse' was big, but the Cubs breaking a barren spell of more than a century would take the cake.

Don't worry, it will never happen.
  • Options
    Their revenue is something like 4th in Major League Baseball. With money like that being generated, and Epstein now at the helm, can they really be rubbish forever? What's the problem?
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    The problem is that they just 'lurv' their status of being generally hapless and wof hate to disapoint the world of MLB ;-))
  • Options
    Another fantastic game to confirm the Giants as NL Champs. The Royals are the hottest team in Baseball at present and also have the advantage of the extra home game with the AL winning the all star game, but I would still make the Giants favourite with their extra post season advantage with many of the present team involved in their last 2 WS wins, and I say that as a Dodgers fan. Whatever looking forward to what should be a great series
  • Options
    Royals in 5 Games in the WS. Solid in every aspect of the game and i dont see them losing this series. They're manager used to be the manager of my team The Brewers, sad that we let him go
  • Options
    Cracking start for the Giants in KC!
  • Options
    Yep, a cracking start but it's a long old series. Let's see. :-)
  • Options
    The Giants rookie pitcher Hunter Strickland unraveled in the 6th inning last night. Oh well, onwards and upwards.
  • Options
    3-2 Giants. Now back to Kansas for the final 2.

Go Giants!!!!
  • Options
    Giants now have the edge but still all to play for with the final 2 games back in KC. Will be interesting to see if the Giants consider using Bumgarner easily the best pitcher on either team for at least part of Game 7 if it goes that far.
  • Options
    If it goes to game 7 I think they will use Bumgarner. He's so strong and pitching a whole game shut out last Sunday didn't seem to phase him. I can see him pitching a couple of innings if it gets that far but hopefully it won't be needed. :-) GO GIANTS!!!