Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

The Boys of Summer - The 2014 Baseball Season

Comments

• Options
    edited April 2014
    So...20 games into the summer.....what you guys making of it so far? D-Backs are woeful.....Brewers look good. Braves with zero pitching staff are doing well considering.
  • Options
    A bit early to tell yet, but good to see that the Dodgers have made a decent start in the NL West although this looks like being a tight division barring the awful D-Backs. Many of the others could be tight as well particularly the AL East where all the teams look like they have some sort of chance. I'll admit some bias but will take a very early season punt on a Dodgers/Rangers World Series
  • Options
    Same old, same old. Yankees cheating again. Spot the pine tar. Spot the brain cell.
  • Options
    Yanks look like they will bounce back this year despite the dirty cheating at Fenway. Still not sure on the Sox. I think we may have overachieved a touch last year (if that is even possible over 100 + games of baseball) but get Victorino back up top and Middlebrooks delivering the power that he has promised for so long and we should be ok. I do worry about Clay Buchholz though. Really doesnt seem to have gotten over that elbow injury and when you consider how good he was at the start of last year you worry if he will ever come back the same.
  • Options
    edited April 2014
    The Pine tar thing is somewhat ridiculous.
    It's common knowledge that loads of pitchers use it even though it's banned. MLB should be doing more to ensure players are playing by the rules, especially with the record of PEDs in the game. This may not be as big an issue as PEDs but it's still cheating.

Apart from anything else, I don't see why it needs the opposition coach to complain for the umpires to check it. I'm sure the umpires have got procedures in place where they check the legality of equipment etc, so why don't they do frequent checks during the game?

Also, I'm not going down the "Dirty Cheating Yankees" route here because on this rare occasion I don't think they're any worse than anyone else. It just happens that it was one of their players who was stupid enough not only to do it, but also get caught.
  • Options
    Looks like the Giants' season is going the same way as last year...
  • Options
    Early days yet all round
  • Options

Or maybe not...
  • Options
    Giants doing great at the moment. But, it's a long old season.
  • Options
    The poor old Red Sox lost 10 straight games, now followed by 6 straight wins. Ridiculous how unpredictable the MLB is.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    And all done off the back of the Pawtucket players. Sox injury list is horrendous.
  • Options

Or maybe not...
    Was thinking this myself. Things seem to be looking up but as Rob said, it`s a long season.
  • Options

Or maybe not...
    Was thinking this myself. Things seem to be looking up but as Rob said, it`s a long season.
    Absolutely, as fast as things have picked up, they can go pear shaped again...
  • Options
    A stuttering season to date for the Cards (though nothing to compare to that of the Red Sox) but, despite injuries to Molina and several of the Pitching staff, they're closing in on a series win vs long-time NL Central leading Brewers in Milwaukee tonight. 10-1 up at the stretch and Waino lights out once again (even chipping in with the lumber).
    Cards were 6.5 games back two weeks ago but will go joint top with the Brew Crew with the win, which will extend the Brewers' losing streak to 7 and leave them with 1 win from the last 12.
    Sweep tomorrow would do very nicely.
    Strong NL Central again this year with all but those plucky minnows, the Cubs, 3+ above 500.
    COYRedbirds.
  • Options
    Some good close races in many of the divisions particularly in the NL where all 3 divisions are very tight. My Dodgers look like battling with the Giants all the way to the end of season and at the moment its anybody's guess who will make the Play-Offs with only the Tigers looking relatively safe at present. Catching what games i can on ESPN and should be a great second half of the season
  • Options
    The Giants had the best record in Baseball up to 4 weeks or so ago. Couldn't do anything wrong. Now they're clinging onto 2nd place in the NL West. Baseball eh!

Like I said, it's a long old season.
  • Options
    Interesting season here in Baltimore, might be our year.

• Options
    Oakland A have the best record at the mo, hopefully it looks good for them
  • Options
    RobRob
    edited July 2014
    They do and they're the Giants rivals from across the Bay. They have a good team but they'll probably fizzle out at the end. That's what they usually do anyway :-)
  • Options
    Dbacks have been awful yet have 2 all star players this year, weird
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited September 2014
    We only sing when we're winning.

Cards back on top of the NL Central but very tight

Washington look a shoe in for the NL East while the Dodgers and Giants are in a tight race in the NL West

Baltimore walking away with the AL East, 8.5 games ahead of the Yankees while the Red Sox put up what must be one of the worst defences of a world series ever. 19.5 games behind with a .438 pct

Oakland were looking good in the AL west but have been overhauled by the Angels

In the AL Central Detroit and surprise package Kansas City are neck and neck

Texas Rangers first team to be eliminated and Houston should be next

25 or so games to play for most teams as we get to the end of the regular season.

• Options
    Astros Head Coach has been fired despite last year having an overall record of 51-111 and this year significantly improving to 59-79 so far.

still struggling despite having Carter & Altuve.
  • Options
    If the regular season ended today...

AMERICAN LEAGUE

Kansas City or Oakland As (Wild Card) v LA Angels

Detroit v Baltimore

NATIONAL LEAGUE

San Fran or Pittsburgh (wild card) v Washington

St Louis Cardinals v Brooklyn Dodgers

Only 5 or 6 games to go now.
  • Options
    From worst to first and back to worst.

Only with the Red Sox..........
  • Options
    Come on you Nationals, make the capital city proud of at least one of its teams!
  • Options
    Come on the Dodgers, we are in the Play-Offs but not sure we can go all the way. Nationals possibly the team to beat in the NL. AL looks tough to call probably Angels as favourites
  • Options

From worst to first and back to worst.

Only with the Red Sox..........

I honestly didn't think our fall from grace would be this bad. We seem to have a few gems in the pen but we need to rebuild our rotation. I'd like Lester back but not sure the FO will match the highest offers. We may make a run for Stanton but the injury may put people off. There are a lot of holes to fill this offseason.
  • Options
    edited September 2014
    I think we need a one and two pitcher for the rotation (and with the budget we should have available both should be 'aces'.) Hamels, Lester, Shields, Scherzer, Masterson would all do. Have Kelly (who I like) and Buchholz backed up by a young un at 5. Problem is that the last few months was meant to highlight the rotation stars of the future but nobody has stood out. Maybe De La Rosa?

Then we would lead off with Pedroia and Holt, with Boegaerts at Ss, Napoli at first, one more year at DH for papi, and probably Vazquez catching (hopefully better offensively. Can we find a place for Betts (or will he need to be a trade chip?).

Craig hasn't been able to hit a beachball since he joined, and Victorino is injury prone. Castillo will start as we paid so much for him and I like Cespedes too.

So for me we need to strengthen the outfield, and also tend to 3rd base which has been a problem for years.

But we should have the cash to do it.
  • Options
    Some great Post season games so far including that amazing 18 innings Nats /Giants game yesterday. Looking forward to Orioles v Tigers shortly. Hoping my Dodgers can overcome the Cards but looks like a tight series. If we can looks like we will meet those pesky Giants who never seem to know when they are beat in what would be a classic NLCS. Looks likely to be Orioles V Royals in the ALCS but nothing settled yet. At the moment I would make the Orioles slight favourites to win it all but a lot of what should be great games to come.
  • Options
    Hopefully the Giants can wrap up the series at AT & T today and set up that meeting with the evil Dodgers.