Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Piggott Back!

124»

Comments

• Options
    Wouldn't jump to the conclusion that he's gonna be chucked straight into the team. Maybe a simple case of he was sent there to gain 1st team experience. He isn't getting it, so might as well bring him back. With all the back-log of fixtures coming up, he may well have a part to play for us this season.
  • Options
    I wonder if he asked to come back. Just guessing, it wasn't working out for him.
  • Options
    Madz said:

i am still trying to understand why we called him back. I do think he has a bright future ahead of him so not writing him off completely, but in a relegation battle i don't think he is the answer.

I can only assume we brought him back as maybe we thought he would develop better with our under 21's playing alongside PP for the remainder of the season than not starting for Gillingham. I certainly wouldn't expect him to even be on the bench this evening. I can't see him being brought in in place of Church, Sordell, Obika or Reza. Unless any of them are carrying injuries we are not aware of. Is spongefoot a condition? (sorry couldn't resist and apologise)

Prepare them to lead the line during our leageue 1 promotion push next season!
  • Options
    Look at the way Burnley approached and entered our box on Saturday. It was done with quick, accurate, five-yard passes: dinks, swivels and touches instantly controlled: there was anticipation and movement, a clever geometry that got past our defenders to make the crucial yard of space for a shot at goal.

Those Burnley players have been taught individual technique and collective team-play. Look at us - a short pass from our defence to midfield goes astray, missing our man or directly to the opposition. We simply don't have the muscle to retrieve possession, or the mental ability to carve an opening when we have it.

We get a throw-in, inside their half. There is no movement from our strikers, no-one shows to draw his marker, to receive and make space. So it's another dreary sideways passage across the half-way line, there and back again - and Bang!, Wiggins is caught dithering and Burnley are in like Flynn.

Pigott? Harriott? We are simply unable to turn and get past defenders. Technique, guile, or physical force - not one of those beautiful qualities is successfully taught at Sparrows Lane. Danny Green shapes to take a free-kick from the edge of the box, the crowd of 15,000 stands expectantly - and the ball sails over in to Row Z.

We are hapless: we hit and hope without any method rehearsed - we hope for a ricochet or a deflection; something might happen. Burnley are "ordinary", some of you say: "efficient", or "workmanlike". Ha ha! Have a look again at the skill and brains that earn a team a 3-0 win, and then wonder why we are miles below.

This. And especially the bit about anticipation. How often do we see the ball go forward and suddenly one of our guys comes to life . But it's way to late. The opposition were already anticipating that pass and have it cleared before our guy can react. Can't see Pigott being much better but lets try him out and see.
  • Options

Madz said:

i am still trying to understand why we called him back. I do think he has a bright future ahead of him so not writing him off completely, but in a relegation battle i don't think he is the answer.

I can only assume we brought him back as maybe we thought he would develop better with our under 21's playing alongside PP for the remainder of the season than not starting for Gillingham. I certainly wouldn't expect him to even be on the bench this evening. I can't see him being brought in in place of Church, Sordell, Obika or Reza. Unless any of them are carrying injuries we are not aware of. Is spongefoot a condition? (sorry couldn't resist and apologise)

Prepare them to lead the line during our leageue 1 promotion push next season!
    Maybe... hopefully not League One though (still holding onto hope) :-)
  • Options
    Poor sod.
  • Options
    FEED THE PIG!!!!!!!
  • Options
    I welcome him back. He's not frightened of shooting, I know that much. I like his confidence. I'm not expecting him to be the answer and I know he was very poor in the Millwall game, but maybe Riga is looking for the right type of striker to complement Obika, Sordell or Ghooch.

We have a seriously imbalanced squad, with no right winger of any use, one very inconsistent left winger and about 9 strikers who can't score. Maybe some of those strikers could score if they were in the right combination and had some service. Piggott at least doesn't hesitate in sight of goal. Too often on Saturday we were looking to play tippy tappy around a very well organised defence. Sometimes, someone just needs to hit it.
  • Options

Granpa said:

I can reveal that when Joe was sent out against Milwall the only instruction from CP was ' go and make a nuisance of yourself '. As a result we saw him rushing all over the pitch like a nutter, and of course it didn't work. All you need to say to Joe is ' keep busy up front, work the channels, and stick the ball in the net '. If you were at Welling, you saw him do just that three times in the first half. Of course he is still young, but his scoring record speaks for itself. These are desperate times, and require desperate measures, he could only be worse than Church if you cut one of his legs off !

I saw him at Welling; he had Kermit to read his runs and give him the service. Unfortunately he never had the chance to play with Kermit again. I bet when he played under Nathan Jones he was given more intelligent instructions than he received before the Millwall game. I hope he doesn't read this forum, especially some of the abuse he received after the Millwall game. Anyone with a son would cringe at some of the vitriol. I've seen him progress through the ranks, he seems a smashing lad and a good prospect if he regains his confidence.
    100% this. Thanks mate and Henry, Atletico, Dick P etc for being voices of reason. Some crass comments on here, from people you would hope over time would know better. Feed the pig he will score. As will Obika. The rest will not score. That is it in a nutshell. Smith could also score but Saint Powell cocked up there.
    How do you know Tudgay and Reza won't score, based on the few appearances they have made? Essentially you are judging them in the same way people have judged Piggott. Personally I didn't think much of Piggott based on the games I saw him play this season, but then I have probably seen to little to judge.....Anyone judging Tudgay and Reza's capabilities are probably falling into the same boat.

I would also say that Smith is probably at his level in League 1 (however - we may be back there next season, in which case there's an argument we should've kept him:))
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Madz said:

The reason he was brought back is because we are not going to get any other strikers on loan, and Rega is getting desperate. Plus if we get any injuries, Pigott is better than a makeshift defender, oh I forgot Halford at Forest who is scoring.
  • Options
    edited March 2014
    Vincenzo said:

I welcome him back. He's not frightened of shooting, I know that much. I like his confidence. I'm not expecting him to be the answer and I know he was very poor in the Millwall game, but maybe Riga is looking for the right type of striker to complement Obika, Sordell or Ghooch.

We have a seriously imbalanced squad, with no right winger of any use, one very inconsistent left winger and about 9 strikers who can't score. Maybe some of those strikers could score if they were in the right combination and had some service. Piggott at least doesn't hesitate in sight of goal. Too often on Saturday we were looking to play tippy tappy around a very well organised defence. Sometimes, someone just needs to hit it.

You are absolutely right, Vicenzo, especially about our nine strikers who can't score! This academy of ours breeds peripheral players like Callum Harriott, who tries a double step-over, fools no-one but himself, loses possession and ten seconds later our opponents are marauding in to the box. See also: Bradley Pritchard.

Yet, the "tippy-tappy" as you disparage it - it is beautiful and effective for those who can play it. Burnley can do it, yet those technical skills are planets beyond our physical and mental ability. We lost 3-0 at home and some Charlton Lifers blame the ref - or even worse, declaim: "We were never going to win, anyway".

Oh, OK. See you at Crewe, Colchester and Crawley next season.

• Options

Vincenzo said:

You are absolutely right, Vicenzo, especially about our nine strikers who can't score! This academy of ours breeds peripheral players like Callum Harriott, who tries a double step-over, fools no-one but himself, loses possession and ten seconds later our opponents are marauding in to the box. See also: Bradley Pritchard.

Yet, the "tippy-tappy" as you disparage it - it is beautiful and effective for those who can play it. Burnley can do it, yet those technical skills are planets beyond our physical and mental ability. We lost 3-0 at home and some Charlton Lifers blame the ref - or even worse, declaim: "We were never going to win, anyway".

Oh, OK. See you at Crewe, Colchester and Crawley next season.

Eh? Don't remember Solly, Wilson, Poyet and Cousins being seen as peripheral players..
  • Options
    edited March 2014

I think Viewfinder's having a bad day. Nonsense posts everywhere.

Three points at the City ground tonight would put a temporary stop to it, so if Jose or Katrina (you need to make some waves) reads CL please note there is even more reason now to get a result tonight.
  • Options

I wonder how good Kermorgant was at his age.

Very fair point. Piggott is only young, and not all Academy graduates are like Diego Poyet. We need to give the lad a break (and the right kind of opportunities, too).
  • Options
    edited March 2014
    RedChaser said:

Three points at the City ground tonight would put a temporary stop to it, so if Jose or Katrina (you need to make some waves) reads CL please note there is even more reason now to get a result tonight.
    If not read by the hierarchy a big thank you to whoever brought this post to the attention of JR / KM, respite much appreciated :-)
  • Options
    RedChaser said:

Not sure who this Katrina is. Don't tell me Katrien's been given the boot already.
  • Options
    Play on words :0) .............I'll get my coat.
  • Options
    edited March 2014
    On the bench and was stripped and about to come on when Cousins scored.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited March 2014

Yep I got that bit wrong I called the time right in the match thread with Pigot for Sordell on 60 mins, glad I did how the goal played out :-)
  • Options

That's what i like about Riga, always prepared to make attacking subs.