Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Piggott Back!

Comments

• Options
    Pig isn't good enough yet, wasn't a regular starter for the Gills and wont be for us (this season)
  • Options
    edited March 2014
    If we lob him in we may ruin his confidence, it's not the time to make huge gambles like this. Really worried for us to be honest, paying a lot of money for piss-poor Pete and even he's not ahead of someone who can't impress at L2 level (YET), as I believe he's a good striker but not at Champ level yet, no chance.... p.s. where's Yann987 at this past week.....
  • Options
    You can have 20 sub par strikers in the squad, you can only have 2 on the pitch at once...

The last time a STRIKER scored a goal at Charlton was Church at Hillsbrough... 7 games ago...

The last time a striker scored in the league... Marvin Sordell Feb 1st, 9 league games ago...
  • Options
    Does this reinforce the fact that no new strikers will be coming in? Pigott was on fire for the U21s last season but he has gone backwards at a rate of knots this Season.
    I would like to see Obika paired with Sordell for the rest of the season, I think they both have a bit of pace which could worry teams. But we definitely need a bit of pace out wide to produce some chances.
  • Options

So, our forward options in order of ability are as follows:
    1. Sordell
    2. Obika
    3. Reza
    4. Tudgay
    5. Piggot
    6. Petr Piperpickedapapofpickledpepper
    7. Paddy Powell
    8. Mavis the char lady
    9. Roland Douchalet
    10. Henry Irving
    11. Jordans cousin
    12. Spongefoot savior of St David

I Think that's everybody.........................

I'm more of a Liam Brady type midfielder but I'm still better than Roland. Mavis I agree with.
  • Options
    can gillingham send him back as they dont rate him? but cafc have spun it to seem like we recalled him saving him the embarressment of not being good enough for a league 1 team
  • Options
    With my positive optimistic hat on, I would say that it is a matter of finding the right combinations of strikers that click. Sordell may work well with Obika, Obika may work well with Piggott in a 442. It is also about having fresh legs to come on and good squad rotation. It is a tough ask for Riga but he has a chance to prove that he can get the right combinations to get another goals to keep Charlton up in the championship.

Due to Pigott providing another option, and fresh set of legs, he should be welcome back. Riga is also playing passing football that Piggott may do better with than before.

I am saying welcome back to Piggott . I hope that the right side midfield difficulty is sorted so that all our strikers can get a decent supply and score some goals.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    A chance for Piggott to become a hero.
  • Options
    Deep joy times are not that bad
  • Options
    Might as well. Im going to stick my neck on the line and say him Obika will make a good combination together. Only seen Piggot play for the 1st team and is a good footballer when the balls on the deck and not in the air.
    The rest of them can't score so I believe Piggot deserves his chance. Will end up with more goals than Sordell in the league this season is my prediction.

Good luck Mr Pig.
  • Options
    I get the impression confidence is not a problem for the lad.
  • Options
    Gills mate said he looked poor, awful against Millwall as well. I could be wrong but this lad looks out of his depth.
  • Options
    Good. Give the lad another go. And PP too.
  • Options

Granpa said:

I can reveal that when Joe was sent out against Milwall the only instruction from CP was ' go and make a nuisance of yourself '. As a result we saw him rushing all over the pitch like a nutter, and of course it didn't work. All you need to say to Joe is ' keep busy up front, work the channels, and stick the ball in the net '. If you were at Welling, you saw him do just that three times in the first half. Of course he is still young, but his scoring record speaks for itself. These are desperate times, and require desperate measures, he could only be worse than Church if you cut one of his legs off !

I saw him at Welling; he had Kermit to read his runs and give him the service. Unfortunately he never had the chance to play with Kermit again. I bet when he played under Nathan Jones he was given more intelligent instructions than he received before the Millwall game. I hope he doesn't read this forum, especially some of the abuse he received after the Millwall game. Anyone with a son would cringe at some of the vitriol. I've seen him progress through the ranks, he seems a smashing lad and a good prospect if he regains his confidence.
    100% this. Thanks mate and Henry, Atletico, Dick P etc for being voices of reason. Some crass comments on here, from people you would hope over time would know better. Feed the pig he will score. As will Obika. The rest will not score. That is it in a nutshell. Smith could also score but Saint Powell cocked up there.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited March 2014
    He is twice the player simon church, which says a lot about church....
  • Options

No offence intended from my remark.

Talented young prospect but possibly not (yet) the solution to current crisis.
  • Options

Apparently Roland has secured an EU grant to set up a sanctuary for strikers that can't score

Can he build a sanctuary big enough?

Gills mate said he looked poor, awful against Millwall as well. I could be wrong but this lad looks out of his depth.

The entire team were awful against Millwall.
  • Options

Apparently Roland has secured an EU grant to set up a sanctuary for strikers that can't score

Young Strikers who don’t get what they want?

Miners

• Options
    edited March 2014
    Look at the way Burnley approached and entered our box on Saturday. It was done with quick, accurate, five-yard passes: dinks, swivels and touches instantly controlled: there was anticipation and movement, a clever geometry that got past our defenders to make the crucial yard of space for a shot at goal.

Those Burnley players have been taught individual technique and collective team-play. Look at us - a short pass from our defence to midfield goes astray, missing our man or directly to the opposition. We simply don't have the muscle to retrieve possession, or the mental ability to carve an opening when we have it.

We get a throw-in, inside their half. There is no movement from our strikers, no-one shows to draw his marker, to receive and make space. So it's another dreary sideways passage across the half-way line, there and back again - and Bang!, Wiggins is caught dithering and Burnley are in like Flynn.

Pigott? Harriott? We are simply unable to turn and get past defenders. Technique, guile, or physical force - not one of those beautiful qualities is successfully taught at Sparrows Lane. Danny Green shapes to take a free-kick from the edge of the box, the crowd of 15,000 stands expectantly - and the ball sails over in to Row Z.

We are hapless: we hit and hope without any method rehearsed - we hope for a ricochet or a deflection; something might happen. Burnley are "ordinary", some of you say: "efficient", or "workmanlike". Ha ha! Have a look again at the skill and brains that earn a team a 3-0 win, and then wonder why we are miles below.

• Options

Look at the way Burnley approached and entered our box on Saturday. It was done with quick, accurate, five-yard passes: dinks, swivels and touches instantly controlled: there was anticipation and movement, a clever geometry that got past our defenders to make the crucial yard of space for a shot at goal.

Those Burnley players have been taught individual technique and collective team-play. Look at us - a short pass from our defence to midfield goes astray, missing our man or directly to the opposition. We simply don't have the muscle to retrieve possession, or the mental ability to carve an opening when we have it.

We get a throw-in, inside their half. There is no movement from our strikers, no-one shows to draw his marker, to receive and make space. So it's another dreary sideways passage across the half-way line, there and back again - and Bang!, Wiggins is caught dithering and Burnley are in like Flynn.

Pigott? Harriott? We are simply unable to turn and get past defenders. Technique, guile, or physical force - not one of those beautiful qualities is successfully taught at Sparrows Lane. Danny Green shapes to take a free-kick from the edge of the box, the crowd of 15,000 stands expectantly - and the ball sails over in to Row Z.

We are hapless: we hit and hope without any method rehearsed - we hope for a ricochet or a deflection; something might happen. Burnley are "ordinary", some of you say: "efficient", or "workmanlike". Ha ha! Have a look again at the skill and brains that earn a team a 3-0 win, and then wonder why we are miles below.

It's what happens when you have players that pass and move the ball forward and not sideways and backwards at the slowest tempo ever seen on a football pitch.
  • Options
    edited March 2014

Interesting, but what do you think of Pigott who this thread is about!
    Having watched Pigott closely in the pre-season friendlies - including his penalty at Dartford that he blazed six yards over the bar - I say he hasn't got the physical or mental abilities to beat an ordinary lower-Champs defender.

He is six-feet-plus, yet is strangely ineffective in the air - I'm thinking of Paul Benson as a similar man. Look how Kermorgant, who is six inches shorter, anticipates the trajectory, is mobile and wins headers. And, the ball skills to feet - Pigott, like Harriott and many others in our squad, is simply unable to control the ball, pass quickly and accurately and then move in to space, let alone actually turn and get past the opposition.

This is a fundamental weakness of ours. Those Burnley players who beat us with their technical skill and physical strength last Saturday - they are not superbly talented players bought with lots of money that you envy. Many Charlton Lifers casually dismiss them as "ordinary", or "workmanlike". Even worse, some of our supporters are so deluded that they think we were robbed by the referee.

Alex Dyer - or someone - could do well by going to Burnley to study their training methods. He might eventually understand that basic technique and technical skill are taught such that it becomes instinctive: players can learn how to carve out that vital yard of freedom in the box.

Meanwhile, as a Charlton supporter of almost 50 years, I now watch our man grab the ball for a free-kick, puff out his cheeks, run up - and hit it straight in to the wall.

• Options
    edited March 2014
    In the limited amount that I've seen Pigott he had that uncanny ability for a tall man to jump downwards and be useless in the air , you can't teach that , although I'm sure at Charlton they give it a go

Obviously everyone wishes good luck to him but people can only give opinions on what they have seen , no one is saying his career is over just voicing that he hasn't looked great on what they have seen.

Will try and get an independent opinion from someone who's seen him train and play at Gillingham
  • Options
    i am still trying to understand why we called him back. I do think he has a bright future ahead of him so not writing him off completely, but in a relegation battle i don't think he is the answer.

I can only assume we brought him back as maybe we thought he would develop better with our under 21's playing alongside PP for the remainder of the season than not starting for Gillingham. I certainly wouldn't expect him to even be on the bench this evening. I can't see him being brought in in place of Church, Sordell, Obika or Reza. Unless any of them are carrying injuries we are not aware of. Is spongefoot a condition? (sorry couldn't resist and apologise)