Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Planning Application for Sparrows Lane

Comments

• However, Airman Brown’s disappointment and resentment at no longer being employed by the Club, to me, comes across in the vast majority of his postings. Nothing wrong there, that is his right, although I do find his constant criticism of some of those he worked alongside a little tiresome.

He is not the first to have suffered a redundancy or a termination of employment. It happens – everywhere and every day.

Unlike the vast majority, however, his departure was played out in public, and, perhaps, this makes matters more difficult for him. I can only surmise.

The purpose of this post? I’m not sure really, other than to cheekily suggest to Mr Brown, that perhaps it is time to move on?

Who played it out in public?
  • se9addick said:

I think this is wonderful news and will be a great development for the clubs long term history – something which we’ve all been concerned about over the last five years. It’s a step along the road of becoming a “sustainable” football club and for me that is the only way that we’re going to survive.

Since the disappointment of the Powell sacking six days ago RD has made three pretty good decisions with this news, the signing of Obika and JJ’s contract extension.

This planning application was submittted BEFORE Powell was sacked. (Source KM)
    Yes but I think the news broke after Powell was sacked - it was the news that I'm happy with.
  • se9addick said:

se9addick said:

I think this is wonderful news and will be a great development for the clubs long term history – something which we’ve all been concerned about over the last five years. It’s a step along the road of becoming a “sustainable” football club and for me that is the only way that we’re going to survive.

Since the disappointment of the Powell sacking six days ago RD has made three pretty good decisions with this news, the signing of Obika and JJ’s contract extension.

Yes but I think the news broke after Powell was sacked - it was the news that I'm happy with.
    No, KM said it publically BEFORE Powell was sacked.

It was reported on here before Powell was sacked.
  • The plans have existing since Peter Varney was on the board.

KM said at the VIP meeting that RD had made the plans bigger and better and that the plans had been submitted.

Excellent news

He said a lot of things at that meeting. Might believe him on this one though. Good news for Standard Liege.
  • se9addick said:

se9addick said:

No, KM said it publically BEFORE Powell was sacked.

It was reported on here before Powell was sacked.
    Ah right, ok.
  • will it be an ASDA, Tesco or perhaps a Carrefour?
  • edited March 2014

Brunello said:

Good to see Peter Varney's work being taken forward. If the club hadn't decided to sue him and Martin Prothero had got off his arse it could have been built already, because the club wasn't paying. But better late than never.

As much as I love your comments, that is just not true

It was my understanding about £2M of funding was required from CAFC and as Jimenez was broke, that's why things never advanced.
    It's my understanding - direct from Varney - that he had it funded externally, but the offer was withdrawn when he left and they started suing him. Prothero was supposed to take it forward but tried to delegate it and then it didn't go anywhere because they couldn't work out how to raise the money.

If my original comment came across as churlish towards RD then that wasn't the intention. This is a good thing and I welcome it without qualification.

And by the way, I'm not aware that I've criticised anyone that I worked with on the staff at Charlton, although I'm happy to be corrected.
  • Surely our new sponsorship deal will help to pay for it? Ongoing sponsorship will also help with running costs.
  • I am well pleased about this but does anyone know if we will have significant planning problems with this - these things are rarely straightforward.

The building does look very large but I suppose that it does not really change the nature of usage of the ground, its not housing or offices.

One concern could be an increased level of traffic coming up Sparrows Lane if the building generates extra usage on the site.
  • edited March 2014

One concern could be an increased level of traffic coming up Sparrows Lane if the building generates extra usage on the site.

I think the training ground has another entrance round by B&Q in Eltham, the Sparrows Lane is only used by the first team squad.
  • Sponsored links:

• Agree about the lack of publicity on this.

Why not run it as the main story on the OS or stick a big article in the programme? Or both?

Absolutely agree...
  • edited March 2014

I am well pleased about this but does anyone know if we will have significant planning problems with this - these things are rarely straightforward.

The building does look very large but I suppose that it does not really change the nature of usage of the ground, its not housing or offices.

There have been a lot of pre-application talks with the council over a period of years, going back to PV's involvement, so the club should have a very good idea of what will get permission (and what won't), otherwise it's not sensible to spend the money drawing up a detailed application. You'd make an outline application first to establish the principle.

That said, politicians can be unpredictable, as we know . . .

• One concern could be an increased level of traffic coming up Sparrows Lane if the building generates extra usage on the site.

I think the training ground has another entrance round by B&Q in Eltham, the Sparrows Lane is only used by the first team squad.
    Right, thanks.

I moved away in 1997 but understand that CAFC have taken over a whole lot more than just the original 'Unilever' ground, so I was wondering if there was also another entrance these days.

• One concern could be an increased level of traffic coming up Sparrows Lane if the building generates extra usage on the site.

Right, thanks.

I moved away in 1997 but understand that CAFC have taken over a whole lot more than just the original 'Unilever' ground, so I was wondering if there was also another entrance these days.
    I think the other entrance is where you'd remember charlton park rugby club. Near the mini roundabout on footscray rd/Southend crescent.
  • I am well pleased about this but does anyone know if we will have significant planning problems with this - these things are rarely straightforward.

There have been a lot of pre-application talks with the council over a period of years, going back to PV's involvement, so the club should have a very good idea of what will get permission (and what won't), otherwise it's not sensible to spend the money drawing up a detailed application. You'd make an outline application first to establish the principle.

I am no expert on planning laws but my only concern would be that if the building were too large then it might provoke some complaints from locals in terms of the visuals and I guess that - at a push - the council might get concerned about 'envelope pushing' on what is green-belt land.

Having said that, with the recession being what it is then it would be a bloody brave council (Sir Humphrey might call it a "courageous decision") to turn down a 5 million investment in the area.
  • A few observations:

I am dissapointed that we don't have any otters, badgers or crayfish down there
    There doesn't seem to be a gym on the plans
    There are only 7-aside and full size pitches - don't different age groups need different sizes ?
    Why a Manager's office - surely we need a Coach's office
    No flag pole for the Drapeau de la Belgique
  • Brunello said:

Good to see Peter Varney's work being taken forward. If the club hadn't decided to sue him and Martin Prothero had got off his arse it could have been built already, because the club wasn't paying. But better late than never.

As much as I love your comments, that is just not true

It was my understanding about £2M of funding was required from CAFC and as Jimenez was broke, that's why things never advanced.
    It's my understanding - direct from Varney - that he had it funded externally, but the offer was withdrawn when he left and they started suing him. Prothero was supposed to take it forward but tried to delegate it and then it didn't go anywhere because they couldn't work out how to raise the money.

If my original comment came across as churlish towards RD then that wasn't the intention. This is a good thing and I welcome it without qualification.

And by the way, I'm not aware that I've criticised anyone that I worked with on the staff at Charlton, although I'm happy to be corrected.
    Thanks for the clarification. We were talking at cross purposes.

I took your original comment to mean the Jimenez/Slater regime didn't need to fund it at all.

But you didn't mean that.

You meant that they did need to fund part of it, as Peter Varney's source of funding was no longer available.

• Thanks to the 'sensible squad ' for dominating this thread, I'm sure that RD is baffled by some of the crap being aimed at him.

IMHO, I'd be surprised if there was a lot of opposition from Greenwich Council. This is a significant investment in redeveloping the site and from what I can see of the plans they are sympathetic to the neighbourhood. The work of the Community Trust is significant within UK football, and reflects well on Greenwich Borough, so saying "No" will fly in the face of those efforts. Additionally, the negative publicity that denying the application would generate would be unwanted when the council elections are looming!

• edited March 2014
    So... Varney & Co planned on improving the training ground... then forgot about it...

Duchatelet came in, being far wealthier (or at least with more will to spend) he decided he would push on the plan and either has or has not amended some of the plan.

As a result it is now a massive Well done PV & Co from some and from the majority Well done Duchatelet....

When in fact unless I missed it...
    The planning applications haven't even been accepted? So no one has done anything of use yet!

• Sponsored links:

• Woah that is a bigger picture than expected!
  • edited March 2014
    But as people had said just above your post there will have been a lot of consultation already and RBG looks a lot more favourably on CAFC that it did in the past.

Doesn't mean it a done deal by any means but still a clear statement of intent.

BTW the old regime didn't forget about it. Steve Bradshaw stated that it was the main part of his job (source: Steve Bradshaw at Bromley Addicks 2013)
  • Ah ok it just came across as I read through that as the finances were no longer there it was forgotten about by Prothero's lackies.

If Steve Bradshaw said that, then I can believe it was true. Decent man, great P.E Teacher in his day.
  • There could be a trade off. Planning permission granted if CAFC agree move to a new stadium on the perninsuler ;-)
  • edited March 2014
    http://www.cafc.co.uk/news/article/20140319-new-training-ground-plans-progressing-1431527.aspx

now on the OS

"The project is still being refined, but the club can confirm a decision from the Royal Borough is expected in early April."
  • Charlton Athletic FC ‏@CAFCofficial · 9m
    Charlton have submitted plans to @Royal_Greenwich for a new training ground complex --> http://bit.ly/1ihi6Xa #cafc pic.twitter.com/Yqwz27mkCY

Charlton Athletic FC ‏@CAFCofficial · 3m
    SB: "The enthusiasm Mr Duchâtelet has shown demonstrates the club’s ambition to improve its current facilities for pro players." #cafc

SB: "... and ensure the facility meets category-one standards under the EPPP guidelines, while also providing facilities for the community”.

• TravHouse said:

Charlton Athletic FC ‏@CAFCofficial · 9m
    Charlton have submitted plans to @Royal_Greenwich for a new training ground complex --> http://bit.ly/1ihi6Xa #cafc pic.twitter.com/Yqwz27mkCY

SB: "The enthusiasm Mr Duchâtelet has shown demonstrates the club’s ambition to improve its current facilities for pro players." #cafc

SB: "... and ensure the facility meets category-one standards under the EPPP guidelines, while also providing facilities for the community”.

The evil feckin Belgian barsteward! Reading in between the lines I can see clearly that Mr Douchbag is going to start his evil bid for world domination in Eltham!!!!
  • TravHouse said:

Charlton Athletic FC ‏@CAFCofficial · 9m

The evil feckin Belgian barsteward! Reading in between the lines I can see clearly that Mr Douchbag is going to start his evil bid for world domination in Eltham!!!!
    Slater has gone. Move on
  • Do you own or lease the land?

Would be better to redevelop it and move to cheaper land further out in the sticks.
  • We own it.

We couldn't redevelop it as housing as we'd be unlikely to get planning permission for change of use.

In also has the advantage of being in our home borough and will provide a base for the community trust that runs Greenwich Youth Services