Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Planning Application for Sparrows Lane

Comments

• JonnyK said:

You're going to cop it for that comment Tango ;-)

Jonny, are you daring to suggest that some posters on here don't have a sense of humour? :-D
    The PC crowd won't be impressed m8
  • Meh........
  • Impressive.

With facilities like that, we'll have good players desperate to come here on loan.

• Agree about the lack of publicity on this.

Why not run it as the main story on the OS or stick a big article in the programme? Or both?
  • Agree. Without that sort of coverage and a piece in the local rags there is a danger that this very good news will go unnoticed by many.
  • Agree with SHG and Henry...the comms at CAFC could say a lot more and this might remove some of the doubt over the vision currently being developed
  • Agree about the lack of publicity on this.

Why not run it as the main story on the OS or stick a big article in the programme? Or both?

Or maybe RD/KM just get on with the job without the need for ticker tape receptions every time they do something positive.

I happen to like that style of management.
  • Interesting that the tree and animal surveys, which form part of the planning application, were completed in October and November 2013, which is pre RD. So who paid for them, was it the Community Trust or Jimenez?
  • Have to sound thick here, but what in essence will a Category A academy mean to our club. Are youth players really going to come to a Championship / League One club with an 'A' academy instead of Chelsea, Arsenal, West Ham, Spurs, Palace, Fulham, Gillingham, et al? :)
  • Sponsored links:

• bobmunro said:

Agree about the lack of publicity on this.

Or maybe RD/KM just get on with the job without the need for ticker tape receptions every time they do something positive.

I happen to like that style of management.
    Huge difference between just telling fans what you are doing and a "ticker tape receptions".

I don't like the style of management that thinks, or maybe just doesn't consider, that fans shouldn't want to know what is going on.

Telling people what you are doing might just encourage a few more Valley Gold subscriptions or renewed season tickets.

Not telling people (and it's not even a secret as KM responded to a question about it at the VIP meeting) gains the club nothing and makes the Comms team's job harder.

• Also, as much as we hate it happening to us, we can take some of the better talent from category two's for less (if anything at all)
  • Correct me if I am wrong, but doesn't category 1 clubs have permission to bring over young players from abroad, whereas category 2 doesn't? If I am right, this is exactly what RD wants.
  • Good to see Peter Varney's work being taken forward. If the club hadn't decided to sue him and Martin Prothero had got off his arse it could have been built already, because the club wasn't paying. But better late than never.

As much as I love your comments, that is just not true

• Huge difference between just telling fans what you are doing and a "ticker tape receptions".

I don't like the style of management that thinks, or maybe just doesn't consider, that fans shouldn't want to know what is going on.

Telling people what you are doing might just encourage a few more Valley Gold subscriptions or renewed season tickets.

Not telling people (and it's not even a secret as KM responded to a question about it at the VIP meeting) gains the club nothing and makes the Comms team's job harder.

Main story on OS or a big article in the programme isn't ticker tape I agree - but as you undoubtedly know I was only using that language to make a point!

If they did that then the naysayers would jump on it with 'feck the academy - what about Chrissy and a striker on loan'.

Damned if they do, damned if they don't.
  • bobmunro said:

Huge difference between just telling fans what you are doing and a "ticker tape receptions".

Main story on OS or a big article in the programme isn't ticker tape I agree - but as you undoubtedly know I was only using that language to make a point!

If they did that then the naysayers would jump on it with 'feck the academy - what about Chrissy and a striker on loan'.

Damned if they do, damned if they don't.
    No, I didn't know you were only using that language to make a point, how would I? What was the point?

As I said KM had already spoken about this in public and no one damned her for saying it.

Sure, some will always find fault but most would be pleased we are advancing the academy IMO so why not publish some good news?
  • Not a single Charlton fan would not find this news very encouraging. Should have made a big splash out of it.
  • Brunello said:

Good to see Peter Varney's work being taken forward. If the club hadn't decided to sue him and Martin Prothero had got off his arse it could have been built already, because the club wasn't paying. But better late than never.

As much as I love your comments, that is just not true

It was my understanding about £2M of funding was required from CAFC and as Jimenez was broke, that's why things never advanced.

• No, I didn't know you were only using that language to make a point, how would I? What was the point?

As I said KM had already spoken about this in public and no one damned her for saying it.

Sure, some will always find fault but most would be pleased we are advancing the academy IMO so why not publish some good news?

Apologies for me assuming you would know I was using an extreme to illustrate my point.

As you say, it was already on public record anyway - my view is that the time to make a big thing about it is when/if Cat 1 status has been achieved.
  • If RD amended the plans then why is there still a First Team Manager room and not a Head Coach room ?
  • Sponsored links:

• bobmunro said:

No, I didn't know you were only using that language to make a point, how would I? What was the point?

Apologies for me assuming you would know I was using an extreme to illustrate my point.

As you say, it was already on public record anyway - my view is that the time to make a big thing about it is when/if Cat 1 status has been achieved.
    But it didn't illustrate the point, it obscured it. Anyway, moving back to the topic.

This isn't an application to achieve Cat 1 Status though and this building isn't just for the academy which rather proves my point. By not publicising it the Club isn't fully explaining what this building is for and what it means to the Club's future.

The building will be PART of the Academy achieving Cat 1 Status but that requires more than just a building.

The building will also house the first team and the community trust and is just as important to them and their future.

No doubt there will be lots of other facilities such as admin offices, press rooms, a gym, physio room but none of this has been set out in detail or how it improves on what we have.

I was told it is the size of a football pitch over two floors but again not confirmed by the Club.

So simple to give an outline on the OS or in the programme and there is still plenty of time to do this.
  • HexHex
    edited March 2014
    It contains pretty much all you said HI.

Ground Floor

Floors 1 and 2

• Hex said:

It contains pretty much all you said HI.

Ground Floor

Floors 1 and 2

Cheers. Also says "first team manager's office"

looks very good. Wonder how if compares to other clubs of our size or bigger?

• This isn't an application to achieve Cat 1 Status though and this building isn't just for the academy which rather proves my point. By not publicising it the Club isn't fully explaining what this building is for and what it means to the Club's future.

The building will be PART of the Academy achieving Cat 1 Status but that requires more than just a building.

The building will also house the first team and the community trust and is just as important to them and their future.

No, this is a planning application to develop the physical resources required to support an application for Cat 1 status.

As someone who has been directly involved in a Premiership team acquiring Cat 1 status I can assure you that the physical buildings and facilities are 'base camp'. Yes of course there are other occupants and our first team and community trust are also based at the training ground - but the primary catalysts for developing Sparrows Lane will be the part it has to play in getting Cat 1.
  • edited March 2014
    I think this is wonderful news and will be a great development for the clubs long term history – something which we’ve all been concerned about over the last five years. It’s a step along the road of becoming a “sustainable” football club and for me that is the only way that we’re going to survive.

Since the disappointment of the Powell sacking six days ago RD has made three pretty good decisions with this news, the signing of Obika and JJ’s contract extension.
  • se9addick said:

I think this is wonderful news and will be a great development for the clubs long term history – something which we’ve all been concerned about over the last five years. It’s a step along the road of becoming a “sustainable” football club and for me that is the only way that we’re going to survive.

Since the disappointment of the Powell sacking six days ago RD has made three pretty good decisions with this news, the signing of Obika and JJ’s contract extension.

This planning application was submittted BEFORE Powell was sacked. (Source KM)
  • bobmunro said:

This isn't an application to achieve Cat 1 Status though and this building isn't just for the academy which rather proves my point. By not publicising it the Club isn't fully explaining what this building is for and what it means to the Club's future.

No, this is a planning application to develop the physical resources required to support an application for Cat 1 status.

As someone who has been directly involved in a Premiership team acquiring Cat 1 status I can assure you that the physical buildings and facilities are 'base camp'. Yes of course there are other occupants and our first team and community trust are also based at the training ground - but the primary catalysts for developing Sparrows Lane will be the part it has to play in getting Cat 1.
    I agree but there is still no good reason for the Club to a least mention this on the OS and in the programme.

The Trust are also putting money in and the fact the building will house the first team counters you fear that some would rubbish the plan because it wasn't about the first team.
  • se9addick said:

This planning application was submittted BEFORE Powell was sacked. (Source KM)
    I suspect the other two were in the works before then as well.

• I agree but there is still no good reason for the Club to a least mention this on the OS and in the programme.

The Trust are also putting money in and the fact the building will house the first team counters you fear that some would rubbish the plan because it wasn't about the first team.

You've convinced me.