Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Statement from supporters meeting

1202122232426»

Comments

• i think there is some tongue-in-cheek in play PA
  • It's all about retaining members and recruiting new ones. Before I left the Trust Board we were very keen to retain the first 300 members who joined Dec 2012 - Feb 2013. And this worked. This season the Trust presence has grown online and outside the North Stand so membership has continued to grow.
    Most importantly 40-50% of the fans are not interested in the Trust meaning that 50%+ are...and the Trust has already reached 4,000 out of a potential interest of 12,500 (assuming 25,000 regular fans at the Valley)
    The future size of the Trust can really only be determined at the end of next season, once there has been time to contact most fans and establish the Trust. Other Trusts have been going ten years whereas there appears to have been a long gap since there was anything big/central in SE7.
    Therefore what happens at the Club between now and May 2015 AND what the Trust does in the next 12 months in terms of message, content and activity will ultimately dictate the number of members and subscribers.
    Not for me to set any target - all I am saying is that if the overall reach continues to expand then it becomes harder for the club to ignore it.

Why were the trust very keen to only try and retain the first 300 hundred members? What about the other people that joined after that, are they seen as not as important as the first 300?

• Fans only renew as membership expires. Therefore the first 300 give an early indication of whether fans actively leave or simply don't get round to rejoining. There is a process in place and I'm sure the lads are looking at the next 200 who joined March-May last year.
    There have been a variety of challenges and comments made about the Trust during the first year so we went about asking all members and subscribers last November what they thought.
  • Airman - there are 26 pages on this thread containing a number of very articulate summaries of how this group of 21 came across. Perceptions are everything! The Trust board is made up of fans of all different backgrounds and persuasions. It was unanimous at its meeting in backing the statement released by the Trust.
    This is a matter of record.
    I will say no more on the matter as I resigned once the matter was resolved and it is not for me to discuss how the situation evolved nor where the club fan dialogue might go over the next 12 months.
  • Fans only renew as membership expires. Therefore the first 300 give an early indication of whether fans actively leave or simply don't get round to rejoining. There is a process in place and I'm sure the lads are looking at the next 200 who joined March-May last year.
    There have been a variety of challenges and comments made about the Trust during the first year so we went about asking all members and subscribers last November what they thought.

How many of those 300 did the trust retain?
  • Not all the first 300 have reached their renewal date yet.

Of the first 200 to join, 164 rejoined (82%)
  • Pico or ShootersHillGuru can give you a number... Very few were taken off in February for lapsed December 2012 joiners who failed to renew. Think it is up to the board to state policy and targets as I have left now.
  • Pedro45 said:
    But AB, you posted the statement, and you are therefore perceived by most on CL to be the "leader". If anyone else in the G21 (be it a Trust board member or not) had posted it, then the debate would have been a lot less intense (even with you as a signatory).

Ultimately, Charlton Athletic (not just the FC, but as a whole) require the Trust, G21, Fans Forum, Supporter's Clubs, and any other CAFC fan group to pull together at this time.

Please do as KM suggested in her email and let this whole matter lie until the summer, when it can be better digested.

Pedro45 said:

But AB, you posted the statement, and you are therefore perceived by most on CL to be the "leader". If anyone else in the G21 (be it a Trust board member or not) had posted it, then the debate would have been a lot less intense (even with you as a signatory).

Ultimately, Charlton Athletic (not just the FC, but as a whole) require the Trust, G21, Fans Forum, Supporter's Clubs, and any other CAFC fan group to pull together at this time.

Please do as KM suggested in her email and let this whole matter lie until the summer, when it can be better digested.

I agree with all of that. There were particular practical reasons why I ended up posting it, but it would have been better done by someone else.
    So are all the Group of 21 buying there ST's ??
  • IA said:

WSS said:

Does anyone know how many trust members there are and how many followers they have?

I'm more interested in the email/twitter contacts. These are the equivalent of being a member of the Swansea Trust.
    Why do you say that? The Swansea Trust membership is either paid for, or automatic for season ticket holders but with no voting rights.

Oh.
  • Bump. Remember the good old days?
  • Sponsored links:

• edited February 2015
    Save you going back to page one. Wouldn't it be great if we didn't end up discussing personalities, motives and power bases, but what we might be able to do if we work together.

A meeting took place on Wednesday evening prior to the match against Huddersfield Town at The Valley bringing together campaigning Charlton supporters from across the generations.

It was called by supporters who formed the Valley Party in 1990 to contest the local Greenwich elections in the light of recent events, including the dismissal of Chris Powell, and in response to widespread concern about the identity and future of the club following the latest takeover.

The meeting included people who have previously been directors or senior and long-serving staff of the club, ex-Valley Party candidates and officers of the former Charlton Athletic Supporters’ Club and well-known local journalists who write about the club, as well as current representatives of Charlton Athletic Supporters’ Trust and fanzine Voice of The Valley.

This group is not intended to be exclusive. An invitation has been extended to Charlton Life, members of the Fans’ Forum and others with an Addicks internet presence and all concerned want to proceed without factionalism or internal politics. Any other supporters’ groups are welcome to participate too.

The purpose of the meeting was to try to establish a temporary umbrella group from which to seek a constructive and positive dialogue with the new owner of the club, and if that does not prove possible then to create a basis to recommend and to co-ordinate any appropriate action to respond to events.

In the first instance, the group is seeking an urgent face-to-face meeting with Roland Duchatelet or Katrien Miere in order try to get a better understanding of the owner’s intentions and report back to the wider support.

If we are unable to enter into a useful dialogue with the owner or his representative then it is our intention to call a public meeting in early April to take matters forward.

The group recognises that it cannot direct the owner, but we hope to persuade him of the merits of constructive dialogue with Charlton supporters, with particular reference to the achievements that we have all had working together with the club over the last 25 years.

In the meantime, we want to let fans know that we are all coming together for the good of the club and that however they are feeling about the current situation there are experienced and committed people working behind the scenes to improve it.

Issued on behalf of the following:

Jonathan Bangs
    Steve Clarke
    Peter Cordwell
    Steve Dixon
    Rick Everitt
    Mick Gebbett
    Richard Hunt
    Corinna Huxley
    Glynne Jones
    Dominic Matthews
    Kevin Nolan
    Hazel Nolan
    Craig Norris
    David Norris
    Nigel Pamment
    Steve Perfect
    Ken Sinyard
    Sue Townsend
    Ben Tegg
    Jeremy Watkins
    Matt Wright

• A meeting took place on Wednesday evening prior to the match against Huddersfield Town at The Valley bringing together campaigning Charlton supporters from across the generations.

It was called by supporters who formed the Valley Party in 1990 to contest the local Greenwich elections in the light of recent events, including the dismissal of Chris Powell, and in response to widespread concern about the identity and future of the club following the latest takeover.

The meeting included people who have previously been directors or senior and long-serving staff of the club, ex-Valley Party candidates and officers of the former Charlton Athletic Supporters’ Club and well-known local journalists who write about the club, as well as current representatives of Charlton Athletic Supporters’ Trust and fanzine Voice of The Valley.

This group is not intended to be exclusive. An invitation has been extended to Charlton Life, members of the Fans’ Forum and others with an Addicks internet presence and all concerned want to proceed without factionalism or internal politics. Any other supporters’ groups are welcome to participate too.

The purpose of the meeting was to try to establish a temporary umbrella group from which to seek a constructive and positive dialogue with the new owner of the club, and if that does not prove possible then to create a basis to recommend and to co-ordinate any appropriate action to respond to events.

In the first instance, the group is seeking an urgent face-to-face meeting with Roland Duchatelet or Katrien Miere in order try to get a better understanding of the owner’s intentions and report back to the wider support.

If we are unable to enter into a useful dialogue with the owner or his representative then it is our intention to call a public meeting in early April to take matters forward.

The group recognises that it cannot direct the owner, but we hope to persuade him of the merits of constructive dialogue with Charlton supporters, with particular reference to the achievements that we have all had working together with the club over the last 25 years.

In the meantime, we want to let fans know that we are all coming together for the good of the club and that however they are feeling about the current situation there are experienced and committed people working behind the scenes to improve it.

Issued on behalf of the following:

Jonathan Bangs
    Steve Clarke
    Peter Cordwell
    Steve Dixon
    Rick Everitt
    Mick Gebbett
    Richard Hunt
    Corinna Huxley
    Glynne Jones
    Dominic Matthews
    Kevin Nolan
    Hazel Nolan
    Craig Norris
    David Norris
    Nigel Pamment
    Steve Perfect
    Ken Sinyard
    Sue Townsend
    Ben Tegg
    Jeremy Watkins
    Matt Wright

So here we are a year later and the much derided G21, subjected to much derision at the time and since, and kept at arms distance by some the Trust board, seems to have won the long game.

Rick and Steve speaking at the Fans meeting in Woolwich alongside Seriously Red, one of G21s most persistent critics.

And now Steve Clarke has become Chair of the Trust. How things change.

I was actually looking on the Trust site to find the action points agreed following the Woolwich meeting. I couldn't find them but did see the news about the new Chair.

Congratulations Steve, I'm sure you'll do a good job.

Anyone know where I can find the action points from the Woolwich meeting though?
  • Something about tents and pissing springs to mind.
  • Thats the report from the meeting

It was said that the Trust Board/G21 were going to consider what further action to take at their next meeting. Steve Clarke was appointed Chair at that meeting but what about the plan of action going forward?

It was said that the Trust Board/G21 were going to consider what further action to take at their next meeting. Steve Clarke was appointed Chair at that meeting but what about the plan of action going forward?
    The Trust Board is working on the plan of action. Steve Clarke was not appointed Chair of the Trust at that meeting. He chaired the meeting. I have no idea why you'd wish to resurrect the G21 label, there is no organisation or grouping of that name. All concerned have..er..moved on.

The Trust Board is working on the plan of action. Steve Clarke was not appointed Chair of the Trust at that meeting. He chaired the meeting. I have no idea why you'd wish to resurrect the G21 label, there is no organisation or grouping of that name. All concerned have..er..moved on.
    The CAS Trust board are pleased to announce that, at a meeting of the board on Monday 23rd February and in accordance with Supporters' Trust rules, Steve Clarke was unanimously elected as chair of CAS Trust

Seems he was.

As I said "Trust Board/G21 were going to consider what further action to take at their next meeting"

. All concerned have..er..moved on.

Yes, to become, in some cases, Chair of CAST
  • I don't think there is an issue with how long it is taking.

I was just asking what the action plan is.

Prague says the Trust are still working on it.

Fine. I await developments.

• edited March 2015

Thats the report from the meeting

The CAS Trust board are pleased to announce that, at a meeting of the board on Monday 23rd February and in accordance with Supporters' Trust rules, Steve Clarke was unanimously elected as chair of CAS Trust

Seems he was.

As I said "Trust Board/G21 were going to consider what further action to take at their next meeting"

. All concerned have..er..moved on.

Yes, to become, in some cases, Chair of CAST
    @PragueAddick, I think Henry was talking about our board meeting, not the public meeting.

@Henry Irving, we did discuss it at the same meeting Steve was elected, and it's a fair point that we need to be visible in where we want to take the public meeting's mandate in terms of action. I think it goes without saying that we're redoubling our efforts to start a conversation at a senior level within the football club, and you of all people will understand that the nature and objective of activity there demands a certain level of discretion. In terms of the steps beyond that, well we need to develop a decision tree style action plan I guess. It takes time, and we're all volunteers trying to squeeze a lot of stuff into busy lives. We certainly have no interest in doing nothing, nor indeed appearing to do nothing. Please bear with us.

@AFKABartram, your cheque is in the post... ;-)
  • Sponsored links: