Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Statement from supporters meeting

A meeting took place on Wednesday evening prior to the match against Huddersfield Town at The Valley bringing together campaigning Charlton supporters from across the generations.

It was called by supporters who formed the Valley Party in 1990 to contest the local Greenwich elections in the light of recent events, including the dismissal of Chris Powell, and in response to widespread concern about the identity and future of the club following the latest takeover.

The meeting included people who have previously been directors or senior and long-serving staff of the club, ex-Valley Party candidates and officers of the former Charlton Athletic Supporters’ Club and well-known local journalists who write about the club, as well as current representatives of Charlton Athletic Supporters’ Trust and fanzine Voice of The Valley.

This group is not intended to be exclusive. An invitation has been extended to Charlton Life, members of the Fans’ Forum and others with an Addicks internet presence and all concerned want to proceed without factionalism or internal politics. Any other supporters’ groups are welcome to participate too.

The purpose of the meeting was to try to establish a temporary umbrella group from which to seek a constructive and positive dialogue with the new owner of the club, and if that does not prove possible then to create a basis to recommend and to co-ordinate any appropriate action to respond to events.

In the first instance, the group is seeking an urgent face-to-face meeting with Roland Duchatelet or Katrien Miere in order try to get a better understanding of the owner’s intentions and report back to the wider support.

If we are unable to enter into a useful dialogue with the owner or his representative then it is our intention to call a public meeting in early April to take matters forward.

The group recognises that it cannot direct the owner, but we hope to persuade him of the merits of constructive dialogue with Charlton supporters, with particular reference to the achievements that we have all had working together with the club over the last 25 years.

In the meantime, we want to let fans know that we are all coming together for the good of the club and that however they are feeling about the current situation there are experienced and committed people working behind the scenes to improve it.

Issued on behalf of the following:

Jonathan Bangs
Steve Clarke
Peter Cordwell
Steve Dixon
Rick Everitt
Mick Gebbett
Richard Hunt
Corinna Huxley
Glynne Jones
Dominic Matthews
Kevin Nolan
Hazel Nolan
Craig Norris
David Norris
Nigel Pamment
Steve Perfect
Ken Sinyard
Sue Townsend
Ben Tegg
Jeremy Watkins
Matt Wright

Comments

• Well done.
  • I'm delighted by this move, thank you.
  • Is this different to The Trust ?
  • Welcome news . It's absolutely essential that the current owner is aware that Charlton supporters will not have the heart ripped out of the club and that anything they do in the future that effects that club and the fans , cannot be done without it being it being questioned .
    The fans ARE Charlton.

Good work .
  • Thanks for that AB. Will be happy to stick time/money in for a good cause that people are losing sight of.
  • Sounds very sensible indeed to have a regular dialogue, although as PL54 asks, I would be interested to see how this is envisioned to sit regards to the Trust - would it sit above it?

(By the way, I am not currently a Trust member and I am a bit thick, so if anyone can point me in the direction of how to sign up, that would be great.)
  • I'll admit I don't necessarily share such concerns at the moment and am prepared to see how things pan out before rushing to judgement BUT any clarification on what the plans are and what the future truely holds can only be a good thing so let's hope you can all get round the table and thrash things out for the good of all concerned.

my thoughts exactly
  • How ironic considering what I said to you pre-match Airman !! #niceone
  • edited March 2014
    Totally agree with all of this because without credible communication, they'll never be able to win over the hearts and minds of a number of supporters. Good luck...
  • Sponsored links:

• Best news of the week. This is as big as the battle for the Valley. I would love to be involved.
  • "Charlton Athletic Supporter’ Trust is committed to being a representative, professional, independent, democratic and accountable body.

Aims:

“To Preserve Charlton Athletic Football Club for This and Future Generations”.

This is broken down as follows:
    •To give the fans a voice and represent their interests in the running of the Club
    •To actively support Charlton Athletic Football Club in achieving success both on and off the pitch
    •To assist in preserving the long term future of the Club, it’s history, culture, values and identity in our Community"
  • As @Airman_Brown says, the Trust had representation in attendance.
  • I assume the trust is the good guy and this is the bad guy. Together they rule Charlton.
  • Two Trust board members (Richard Hunt/Prague Addick & Kin Sinyard/Ken from Bexley) are signatories
  • As far as I know everybody in the supporters group, and everybody in the Trust wants Charlton Athletic to win matches and escape relegation. No good cop bad cop stuff there.
    I imagine everybody who supports Charlton Athletic feels pretty much the same, I certainly do.
  • PL54 said:

Is this different to The Trust ?

Yes

• craigcafc said:

PL54 said:

Yes

Not sure how to put this without it sounding rude, which I'm not trying to be, but just interested to know how?

My understanding was that the trust was formed to create a voice for all supporters and to challenge and/or question decisions of those running the club. It was also formed to create a dialogue, and there appears to have been evidence of dialogue taking place on several topics.

This seems to be another group, incorporating members of the Trust, but with the same aims. So is this not just an extended version of the the Trust? And is it not the case that the Trust would be stronger with the people mentioned above included in it?
    You are going to get roasted for questioning this.
  • I agree with LargeAddick.
  • Sponsored links:

• craigcafc said:

PL54 said:

Yes

Not sure how to put this without it sounding rude, which I'm not trying to be, but just interested to know how?

My understanding was that the trust was formed to create a voice for all supporters and to challenge and/or question decisions of those running the club. It was also formed to create a dialogue, and there appears to have been evidence of dialogue taking place on several topics.

This seems to be another group, incorporating members of the Trust, but with the same aims. So is this not just an extended version of the the Trust? And is it not the case that the Trust would be stronger with the people mentioned above included in it?
    Great point, and does not sound rude at all. The trust would be a lot stronger if the majority of the names were involved as well.
  • Good idea to have this seemngly more direct approach already in place in the eventuality that things do go more pear shaped. Can only be a good thing in my book.
  • craigcafc said:

PL54 said:

Yes

Good question
  • I'll admit I don't necessarily share such concerns at the moment and am prepared to see how things pan out before rushing to judgement BUT any clarification on what the plans are and what the future truely holds can only be a good thing so let's hope you can all get round the table and thrash things out for the good of all concerned.

Fair point. One question though. The list of names. Is EVERYONE in agreement with the aims you state at the beginning of the thread?
  • vffvff
    edited March 2014
    Members of this new group can clarify for themselves. I would guess that the new group enables them to be a bit more outspoken and critical and look toward to a bigger overall look at the scheme of things. Having achieved ACV the Trust is to more try to build constructive dialogue with the club and work on more nuts and bolts issues that affects supporters that can be addressed. The Trust line is always a difficult one between being over critical and critical enough. Generally, the Trust and Barnie are doing a great job. The new supporters group should have a bit more leeway to speak out. Both are important.
  • Really pleased to hear this.
  • what Large said
  • Great news and I look forward to hearing next steps from the club in response.