Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Paul Hart (ed. Left the club)

Penny for his thoughts right now. A 'football man' who presumably would empathise with Chris's frustration at being undermined. But doing great things for us, hugely respected, vital to RD's vision -- would love to know how he's feeling & being treated right now...

Comments

• A fella was telling me at the QPR game that Man city are keen to get their youth development policy in order ready for their state of the art coaching facility.
    Paul Hart sits close to the very top of their wanted list.
  • Well if Paul Hart is a "football man" he must be looking forward to some change. It must break his heart watching all the youngsters that can play on the floor getting by-passed with our hoof ball.
  • Paul has left his role and Steve Avory is to become Academy Manager.

Sad to lose Paul, although it has long been rumoured. Certainly no issue with Steve picking up the reins though. All the best to both going forward!
  • Does that rule out Riga and the youth rumour then?
  • Disappointing news but not unexpected. Many thanks Paul and good luck
  • Surely there's a Belgian somewhere that'll take the job?
  • From the OS...sounds like they were both asked to apply for the new role...although that may be spinning the story, given the rumours that have been doing the rounds for some time about Paul leaving

Paul Hart is to leave his role as Academy Director following a restructure of Charlton’s youth set-up, the club announced on Wednesday morning
    Iain Liddle reports

Paul Hart is to leave his role as Academy Director following a restructure of Charlton’s youth set-up, the club announced on Wednesday morning.

Under the new plans, the previous titles of Academy Director and Head of Coaching, which was held by Steve Avory, will be combined into the newly-created position of Academy Manager.

Both men were invited to apply for the new role and it has been confirmed that Avory will take up the post straight away.

The club will also now begin the process of recruiting to fill the position of Academy Operations Manager, which has been created as part of the restructure and will assist with the day-to-day running of the youth set-up at Sparrows Lane.

Avory, a former England U16 coach, has been at Charlton since 2001 and helped to mentor a number of players from teenage hopefuls to first-team regulars.

Sergei Baltacha will continue in his role as Professional Development Phase Lead Coach (U17-U18).

Hart, who has previously worked in the academies at Nottingham Forest, Leeds United and Portsmouth, joined the Addicks in June 2011 and enjoyed a successful spell overseeing the development of the club’s young players.

Along with Avory, the pair helped guide Charlton’s U18 side to the Professional Development League 2 – South title for the previous two seasons, while also recording impressive victories in the FA Youth Cup along the way.

Meanwhile, in their inaugural season of 2012/13, the club’s U21 side won their league before going on to win the national play-off final against Cardiff City.

During his time at Sparrows Lane, Hart also played a key role in the attainment of category-two status for the club’s academy under the Elite Player Performance Plan (EPPP) guidelines.

Since completing his takeover of the club in January, Charlton owner Roland Duchâtelet has stressed the importance he places on running a successful academy system and plans have been approved for the development of a new training ground complex with vastly-improved facilities for both professional and young players.

The Sparrows Lane plans also mean the revamped training ground would meet the criteria needed to apply for category-one status under the EPPP guidelines, which would strengthen the club’s aims to recruit and develop the best young talents available.

Five graduates from the club’s academy made their first-team debuts during the 2013/14 season, including player of the year Diego Poyet.

Poyet follows another successful product of the Sparrows Lane system, Chris Solly, who picked up the prestigious award at the end of the 2012/13 and 2011/12 campaigns.

Greenwich-born Jordan Cousins, who made his senior bow in August and went on to become one of the side’s most influential performers, was named Young Player of the Year at the end-of-season dinner.
  • Change will be huge.
  • edited May 2014
    Don't know what to make of that but well done Paul hart for helping bring through some great players , I wouldn't be surprised to see Riga involved with the youth team now.
  • Steve Avory is the heart and soul of the Academy so great news. Sad to see Hart go but I think he is destined for bigger and better things.
  • Sponsored links:

• edited May 2014
    Good Luck Paul, Nice guy and a big name in the game which no doubt helped to attract and retain players

From the way that is worded Avory has been appointed because PH didn't want to apply fo the new role. I can't imagine he applied and didn't get it.

Avory has a reputation as an excellent coach and I hear taught AFKA everything he knows.

The Man City talk has been around for a while so maybe now we'll see if it is true.

Can't see why Riga would want to come in under Avory as an operational manager. That sounds more like an administrative role.

What did I say about it being a bumpy old road with Roland before we see a better future.
  • Having to apply for their own job ? Nice !

Thanks Paul, good luck Steve
  • Rumours of a new first team boss and now the excellent Hart moving on.

They say bad things happen in 3's. What's the 3rd one? Poyet going today?
  • Good Luck Paul, Nice guy and a big game in the game which no doubt helped to attract and retain players

From the way that is worded Avory has been appointed because PH didn't want to apply fo the new role. I can't imagine he applied and didn't get it.

The Man City talk has been around for a while so maybe now we'll see if it is true.

Can't see why Riga would want to come in under Avory as an operational manager. That sounds more like an administrative role.

What did I say about it being a bumpy old road with Roland before we see a better future.

Is Avory's position top of the pile? I know its a combine role, but if the structure has been amended, is there not room for Riga to come him above that.
  • Paul Hart has done a fantastic job, I'm not sure what the reasoning behind this cost cutting? Avory will manage by himself doing double the workload. Also question the Academy Operations Manager does sound like a admin role.
  • Good Luck Paul, Nice guy and a big game in the game which no doubt helped to attract and retain players

Is Avory's position top of the pile? I know its a combine role, but if the structure has been amended, is there not room for Riga to come him above that.
    Could be but it doesn't read that way.

And if that was the case why not annouce it all at the same time?
  • Every rumour I've heard so far is true... Huge believer in Paul Harts work still shocked we managed to tie him down to work for us, he's incredible at what he does with his experience. Not so clued up on Avory, but sure he'll have some Belgians put in around him, he'll just be the advisor of some sort, won't be taking all the work load.
  • AddickRam said:

Paul Hart has done a fantastic job, I'm not sure what the reasoning behind this cost cutting? Avory will manage by himself doing double the workload. Also question the Academy Operations Manager does sound like a admin role.

What cost cutting is this now ? The cost cutting via having man city offer hart a deal ?
  • It will be interesting to see how the U18 and U21 teams do this year.
  • Sponsored links:

Well I'm hoping its because Riga is to be named Director of Football!
  • shine166 said:

AddickRam said:

Paul Hart has done a fantastic job, I'm not sure what the reasoning behind this cost cutting? Avory will manage by himself doing double the workload. Also question the Academy Operations Manager does sound like a admin role.

What cost cutting is this now ? The cost cutting via having man city offer hart a deal ?
    Have they?

Even if they have the roles have still been changed to what seems two coaching roles becoming one coaching plus an admin role.

Also Paul Hart is and was a big name and was employed at the time we were flush with kevin Cash's money. I doubt he came cheap.

Well I'm hoping its because Riga is to be named Director of Football!
    Me too, VG.

Although, sadly, I'm starting to fear that it's merely clutching at straws...

• I have a feeling JR will be Sporting Director with a remit for the first team and academy
  • Jesus, I just made the mistake of reading about this on FB. It's just as depressing and suicidal as the other forum
  • Not happy about this! Cheers for the hard work Paul.
  • As Atletico says, another rumour has come true.

It shows that many posters on CL, really do have the inside track.

All the best to Paul Hart, Steve Avory and all at The Academy.

• Last one out turn the lights out please...
  • A pity.

PH is a very talented youth coach, but if the Man City rumour is true then who could blame him for moving.

Thanks and good luck.
  • we were pretty luck to him in the first place ..he was a pretty ambitious appointment so realistically wed assume he wouldnt be staying for long