Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Charlton v Birmingham - Post match views

Comments

• Options
    and the goalkeeper
  • Options
    Just in, posting before reading so apologies if I repeat stuff.

Chris Powell suffered from his sense of loyalty, but also the fact that Sordell scored last week, and maybe Chris thought the player would have a bit of a run now he'd scored and it was manifestly wrong. As was his loyalty towards Church later, and most, errrrm, wrongly Danny (here you go have a second goal Brum) Green.

I also think playing Diego because Dale has gone, might, just might, turn out to be an accidental success, but Chris won't really be able to claim the whole credit for that because his hand was kind of forced.

The new midfield formation, which forced Cousins wide was also, in my view wrong. He had his club captain to accommodate, and the intriguing presence of Astrid, both without the certainty of Wiggins to act as decent cover. Hard to see what else he ought to have done picking the team in that part of the field, anyway he would've wanted Jacko there as captain, as the one with the nous if not the fitness, amongst all the new guys.

As for the game, well Birmingham couldn't really not score their first goal, reluctant though they seemed to be. Randolph made several very good saves, and had we scored the momentum would have turned in our way. We made Birmingham look good second half, especially when Reza and Astrid, and Jacko got tired, and Evina more error prone.

On the plus side we had Diego, particularly in the long haired combo with Wilson, and that looked promising, Cousins was weighing in a bit with them second half and I liked that. But then along comes Danny Green, perhaps the biggest mistake Chris Powell made, and him, (along with Church instead of PP) made you realise that was gonna be that.

What else Glenn Hoddle, Paul Hart, Neil Warnock, Malky Mackay, Avram Grant or I could've done I don't know.

I certainly would have started PP and Reza, and would rather have Jack Munns as a sub than Danny Green, so in as much as Chris Powell didn't do what I would have done!!!...then I am critical for sure, but obviously I still want him to carry on.

I will be at Sheffield, not match threading next week, and hope to see a decent pitch. Today our pitch was barely playable, but then again didn't seem to get any worse as the game progressed, however it was indeed the same for both side, and we lost.

Your call now Chris, and I will still be backing you, even if I don't agree with you.
  • Options
    Time for a change you must all see that now...Thanks CP but it is over
  • Options
    We are going down end off, i have now accepted it and not too hacked off now i have....

The only positive i saw out of todays game was poyet, the swede had nice touches when he bothered to get involved...and was unlucky with the overhead kick

Reza gobblydigoop dives too much for me and i hate diving...lucky not to get 2 yellows for it. But looked good when he stood on his feet.

And the goalie static for the first goal and was static shortly after and was lucky to save it on a 1-1 situation. Didnt think i would ever say it but hope Hamer is fit soon...

And finally...Randolph, if he played like that for us we would have never got rid of him.
  • Options

dallas said:

can some one tell me in the warm up before the game the goalkeeper is catching crosses then when the game starts he decides to punch the ball

He punched the ball once. He caught the ball once or twice. The punch went a decent distance so what is the problem?

That is a measure of how little he had to do.

This bloke is being scape goated. Other than a couple of dodgy goalkicks he did nothing wrong today. In fact he made at least 3 very good saves.

exactly how I saw his performance

• Options
    Poyet impressed me with his hunger for the ball and his calm assurance, Ajdarevic propelled several attacking moves in the first half, and Reza looks mobile.

But our midfield still lacks the muscle to seize and keep possession, and lacks the ability to make consistently accurate and incisive passes to the strikers. The crosses remain pitifully wayward.

Throughout the second half we failed to sustain an assault on the Birmingham back line; can you recall Randolph having to make a flying save? I had a good view of the penalty shout - Reza dived.

We have won only five games out of 28: a shocking statistic. I would expect Duchatelet to give Powell another four or five games with this revamped squad, and if we are still not scoring or picking up points, to change the manager.

• Options
    yep he made one from I think it was a deflected shot from a corner in the first half
  • Options
    Agree with many of the views already posted on here.

I thought Thuram looked ok; Astrid had a lot of class and could be very influential playing alongside a defensive midfielder in the centre; Reza looks alert and made good runs, although not strong enough to compete physically with big hairy-arsed championship centre backs. Poyet was very good too.

The big problem was that we are too narrow when playing the diamond formation and with that lack of width and full backs that didn't get forward and overlap, we were never going to get enough crosses into the box. AA was wasted playing on the left and Jordan is much less effective on the right. We can't play Jordan and Poyet together in a 442 so either they play together in a 4-2-3-1 formation or they have to compete for one defensive midfielder place. We should have played Nego at right back to allow Wilson to play RM, and we need a strong left midfielder.

I agree that Evina and Green were very poor, Sordell less so IMO but still not good enough.

We at least played better football than usual, but without ever looking like winning. I won't lose hope but it is certainly looking very likely that we will be re-grouping and re-building the team in L1 next season. We need a miracle.
  • Options
    On a selfishly personal note today was an amazing day for me.
    I had surprisingly long chats with lots of interesting people.

Greg Dyke
    Chris and Sue Parkes
    Jason Morgan
    Keith Peacock
    Katrien Maier
    Paul Elliott.

Medium length chats with

A Birmingham City director
    Jim Davison
    Two supporters direct people, one a Forest fan, one a Wimbledon fan.
    Two gentlemen, Didier and Carlos (yes) who had driven over from Ghent this morning, working for Roland, and were driving back tonight through the tunnel.

Shorter chats with loads of others including Kevin Nolan of course, and delighted to meet John from Norfolk of this parish.

I do realise I talk rather a lot mind, can't help myself. However lots of little snippets here and there were collected.

One I will report is that Keith Peacock knows that come Monday everybody has to get in and go again, and that sometimes, most of the time actually, being the manager can be a very lonely job, and football is 85% problems and 15% success unless you're Manchester United or of that kind of ilk, and at Charlton Athletic the roller coaster is ever thus.

Keith Peacock, as I am sure many of you already know, remains an utter top quality Charlton man...magical talking to the man I was awestruck watching running that QPR away league cup game all those years ago.

• Sponsored links:

• Options

yep he made one from I think it was a deflected shot from a corner in the first half

It's the second half that bothers me - we were 0-1 down and yet a sustained assault on Randolph's goal never materialised. There was a scramble in the six-yard box, a couple of shots off target - but no prolonged pressure to make the defence buckle.

• Options
    Thought we played well today and some of our passing was good.
    Only downside was our lack of creativity and not really knowing what to do when we get within sight of their goal. We need to practice creating and finishing as these areas let us down big time and havd done all season.
    Tbh not sure Yann would make a huge difference as we struggled to score goals before he went.
    Poyet was really good today and impressed with him. Thought all the new players played well although keeper looked a bit suspect at times but distribution was good.
    Would have played Negro at RB and Wilson in midfield.
    Hate to say this but Jacko is struggling big time. He seems off the pace of the game. Sordell is a total let down he should do so much better and all he has to do is at least put some effort in like he actually wants to be here.
    There were positive signs but I believe we are starting to run out of time.
    One last thing why does CP take so long making a change Church must have stood there for 10 minutes nearly waiting to come on.
  • Options
    totally agree , we were dominant in possession and I reckon that if Powell had bought on Polish Dave that it may have got the crowd up a bit and maybe drove the team on an extra % , that was one of the most disappointing things about today the waiting and waiting and waiting for a sub ridiculous and cowardly
  • Options
    edited February 2014

Redskin said:

Poyet average? Do me a favour.

Go on then,enlighten me...

You were there. Why should I 'enlighten you'.

If you can't see he's above average from watching him then I can't help you.
    Were you there? Probably...

Remind me of your opinion of Wilson having seen him for the first time.Less flattering than average I seem to remember...

• Options

Poyet impressed me with his hunger for the ball and his calm assurance, Ajdarevic propelled several attacking moves in the first half, and Reza looks mobile.

But our midfield still lacks the muscle to seize and keep possession, and lacks the ability to make consistently accurate and incisive passes to the strikers. The crosses remain pitifully wayward.

Throughout the second half we failed to sustain an assault on the Birmingham back line; can you recall Randolph having to make a flying save? I had a good view of the penalty shout - Reza dived.

We have won only five games out of 28: a shocking statistic. I would expect Duchatelet to give Powell another four or five games with this revamped squad, and if we are still not scoring or picking up points, to change the manager.

No point waiting 4 or 5 games as it would be too late. If they are going to do it they may as well do it now.
  • Options
    Really impressed with Reza and Astrit. How someone didn't manage to poke the ball in the net during that goalmouth scramble, I'll never know. And trust Randolph to have a blinder.
  • Options

No point waiting 4 or 5 games as it would be too late. If they are going to do it they may as well do it now.
    It would be harsh to sack Powell without giving him the chance to work with the revamped squad. However, if there's no improvement after four or five games I can't see the wisdom in inactivity, in standing aside and watching Powell manage a team that fails to score. Assuming we are not cut adrift, a dozen games should be enough for a new manager to enforce a strategy to keep us up.

• Options
    edited February 2014

It would be harsh to sack Powell without giving him the chance to work with the revamped squad.

what, so he can carry on putting Cousins wide right and leaving his substitutions to the 70th min.

We all love CP & know he bleeds Charlton. But as a manager he has still plenty to learn & we need an experienced manager. Reading the posts on here I reckon over 90% have said that Cousins is wasted on the right and can't see why JJ is in the team. If we can all see it, why can't CP.

Foe that reason, he's out !
  • Options

would someone tell me if the attacking exercise in the PP Reza video was actually put into practice with crosses coming in, or did it not happen because we played 4 cm's?

yes i found that video positive but it just didnt happen anough today
  • Options
    uie2 said:

would someone tell me if the attacking exercise in the PP Reza video was actually put into practice with crosses coming in, or did it not happen because we played 4 cm's?

yes i found that video positive but it just didnt happen anough today
    And who's fault is that? He picks a narrow side just after the fans see the new strikers scoring from crosses in a training video - Not smart. We are continually beaten by sides who don't have to work very hard for the 3 points they take from us.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    CAFCTrev said:

When ppl have said "Powell out" Ive always thought any manager would struggle with this squad, so is it really his fault?

But then I look at what Pulis has done at Palarse and a new manager with new ideas can make a difference.

yes i agree just seen swansea on match of the day! gary monk has this players playing for him with new ideas etc pulis and palace it is true they have the heart now! it could well work for us
  • Options
    Mixed feelings about todays game. Problem is ex-players always leave their mark. A couple of very good saves from Randolph meant the scoreline flattered Birmingham.
  • Options

Based on what I saw today, going into the last part of the season, has to be Reza and Parzyszek up front for me. Even though completely unproven at this level at least it would be a fresh injection of ideas and ability. Sordell and Church is not going to keep us up. Would like to see Ajdarevic sitting in just behind them. Looks like he may have the technical ability to at least provide some service.

i agree with with passion!!
  • Options
    As I have already said love CP but we need a change, he has run out of ideas Green in last 10 mins does not work time and time again seen the same but he does not learn. Thanks CP but I hope RD makes the decision that all you sentimental fools do not want. We need to win games
  • Options
    To be honest the other thing I noticed today was the crowd in the covered end there was no chants for chris powells red and white army and no CP chants so I guess we all think the same...
  • Options
    mchardaw said:

To be honest the other thing I noticed today was the crowd in the covered end there was no chants for chris powells red and white army and no CP chants so I guess we all think the same...

There were chants for CP. Mudt have been by sentimental fools.
  • Options
    where from I sit in north stand upper never heard them
  • Options
    mchardaw said:

where from I sit in north stand upper never heard them

I think you can get a free hearing test at Boots...