Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Meet the board! (Something happens on page 16..........or does it?)

Comments

• Options

by the sounds of it he wont be splashing much cash (if any) and so any players coming in are likely to be on loan (as Henry has been telling us for weeks) and is also happy to see players leave in the summer to be replaced by our academy kids (Poyet & Fox are two that come to mind if Wiggins & Stephens leave).

That's all ok if we are in The Championship - I just hope he has seen enough to know we desperately need strengthening now and will sanction the 2 or 3 players that we need to stay up.

Whilst on the subject, any striker that does come in needs to be on form and up to the job - no good bringing in players from abroad who don't know the league or players who have not been scoring regularly, It sounds plain enough but the players that fir this category normally cost money & I fear that as mentioned above we will end up bringing in players that are surplus to requirements elsewhere or currently out of form..........and we have 2 of those here at the moment.

Pretty sure Henry isn't the only one who has said they'll be loan signings.
    What I have actually been saying is I expect (not know) that loan signings will come after 7 Feb. They don't have to come this week although we and CP I'm sure would like them ASAP.

• Options
    Just watched the interview - thought it was a really nice tough by Roland and Katrien to give some detail behind their plans for the club and an insight as to what their roles will be.

All seem very switched on and open and honest. I've a good feeling about them from what I've seen.

I still think there may be some practices that are a little different to what we have been used to (whether that is for better or worse, we'll see) - but at least we can expect a bit more transparency going forwards.
  • Options
    The board seem to backing sensible decisions, the team are not travelling back before Doncaster the game, something that might not have been possible cost wise with the old board.
  • Options
    One thing that came to my mind is the option of loaning out our young players to one of the other clubs in the "stables" rather than the lower leagues where it's mainly kick and rush. They'd add an continental dimension and more likely to come back a better player. If this was in place we could have, for instance, loaned out Jenkinson to Standard Liege where he can develop further than getting frustrated behind Solly,,,
    I'd like to see this happen!
  • Options

One thing that came to my mind is the option of loaning out our young players to one of the other clubs in the "stables" rather than the lower leagues where it's mainly kick and rush. They'd add an continental dimension and more likely to come back a better player. If this was in place we could have, for instance, loaned out Jenkinson to Standard Liege where he can develop further than getting frustrated behind Solly,,,

I'm sure you will.

• Options

In principal, me too. There's one thing at the back of my mind though, about the entire network setup. British players tend not to settle well abroad. There are exceptions, such as Owen Hargreaves, or before that Gary Lineker, but we might get cases of players disappointing when they move to other parts of the "network' for reasons which are not really football related. Hope I'm wrong though.

• Options
    edited January 2014
    Commodification rules, can you hear the rumbles from Highgate Cemetery?
  • Options

In principal, me too. There's one thing at the back of my mind though, about the entire network setup. British players tend not to settle well abroad. There are exceptions, such as Owen Hargreaves, or before that Gary Lineker, but we might get cases of players disappointing when they move to other parts of the "network' for reasons which are not really football related. Hope I'm wrong though.

That might well be true of established players and especially those with young families.

But to an 18 year old young professional a loan to a European club, especially as part of Roland's network where he'd be presumably well cared for, could seem an exciting part of his development and perhaps a bit of an adventure.

We could perhaps see a regular exchange programme within the network, where there would invariably be a familiar face or too where ever the youngsters were sent.

Some youngsters may not adapt but I'm sure others would benefit.

• Options
    edited January 2014

Owen Hargreaves is Canadian.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    I think sending a player like Diego Poyet and maybe one or 2 other players (Feely,Lennon,Fox,Azeez,Sho-Silva,Holmes-Dennis,Muldoon,Phillips the list goes on) to Spain for 6 months. The experience both on and off the pitch would be fantastic for the players and help build relationships with other clubs. Although the Spainish second division is probably a step too high maybe send them to Germany or the other Belgian club RD owns
  • Options
    It could extend to the coaching staff spending time overseas too? Standard Liege season ends in March and could see some of them coming over to SL...
  • Options
    I think both of those scenarios, players & coaches, could benefit all those involved and ultimately us as fans too. It can't do any harm, for example, to see how the coaches at Liege operate, when they are heading their league & looking to European qualification.

I have wondered whether M. Duchatelet is actually ahead of the game here in terms of the implications of FFP across Europe. He's building a network of clubs at varying levels in their countries and has the opportunity to operate a pool of players/coaches to try and benefit all parties.
  • Options
    TelMc32 said:

I think both of those scenarios, players & coaches, could benefit all those involved and ultimately us as fans too. It can't do any harm, for example, to see how the coaches at Liege operate, when they are heading their league & looking to European qualification.

I have wondered whether M. Duchatelet is actually ahead of the game here in terms of the implications of FFP across Europe. He's building a network of clubs at varying levels in their countries and has the opportunity to operate a pool of players/coaches to try and benefit all parties.

Only playing devils advocate here but it's hard enought to run one football club successfully let alone six especially when you intend to possibly combine their playing assets to suit circumstances. It's going to be one hell of a experiment.
  • Options

TelMc32 said:

Only playing devils advocate here but it's hard enought to run one football club successfully let alone six especially when you intend to possibly combine their playing assets to suit circumstances. It's going to be one hell of a experiment.
    I don't disagree SHG, but I can see potential for the coaching staff as there will be some times when our seasons don't overlap, if only short periods.

Youth exchanges would be easier to manage, but I'd send 2/3 at a time to ease any settling in abroad (Man U have done this with one of the other Belgian clubs I believe).

For senior players, it could make for easier loans and even permanent transfers. The latter could be on favourable terms/fees, whilst not dis-advantageous to the player and help clubs within the group stay well within FFP. Potential to then invest more in non-group players.

I'm not sure I like the thought of being a group so much. We'd all (fans of each of the clubs) want only what was best for our individual clubs, but I can imagine that there may be benefits in a number of areas for someone who owned them all.
  • Options
    I agree with both Tel and SHG. It is a very interesting experiment, but there are a lot of reasons why it could go wrong. That said, I'd rather be a Charlton fan in this set up than an Ujpest fan.
  • Options
    Michael Turner was in Italy fora time as a Charlton youngster, he's had a career.
  • Options
    Is this video available on YouTube ?
  • Options
    PL54 said:

Is this video available on YouTube ?

Is now.

http://youtu.be/PD3vZvopE24
  • Options
    whats up with roland and the constant "uh" and "huh"s at the end of each sentence?
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    his altar ego is Lil Jon.
  • Options
    sammy391 said:

whats up with roland and the constant "uh" and "huh"s at the end of each sentence?

He is a big Mark E Smith fan-uh.....
  • Options
    sammy391 said:

That is just the way he speaks. Huh.

• Options
    sammy391 said:

He's speaking in his third language?

• Options
    sammy391 said:

he used to be an Elvis impersonator before he made his millions and can't quite shake it off

• Options
    They all come across well, but in the end actions speak louder than words for me - selling Yann/ Stephens and no contract for Powell leaves me with big question marks.
  • Options
    Bubble said:

Katrien spends the majority of her time looking absolutely petrified.

Probably scared that someone will post a would'ya on CL.

• Options
    I thought they came across as upbeat and with fresh ideas.....cant complain myself, I think they have made some really good decisions so far. I think people forget that we were bottom 4 with Kermo/Stephens and Alnwick anyway, and it made good sense to get a fee for players who like Kermo were one near the end of their contract and two nearing there 33rd birthday...Stephens has been hot and cold, but out of him and Kermo, probably the better one to keep, but heyho, theyve gone and we move on. From a business point of view, I think they also make sense on keeping CP's contract on hold...gives them a chance to get to know him and test his mettle in a relegation fight. We are bound to see a big turnover in players come the close season anyway, so who the manager is will make little difference other than to those players we may want to hold onto....very few I suspect.
  • Options

sammy391 said:

He is a big Mark E Smith fan-uh.....
    I bet he drinks White Lightninaah
  • Options
    She is possibly the worst would ya ive seen on here. Goes without saying!