Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Meet the board! (Something happens on page 16..........or does it?)

Comments

• Options
    The future sounds ok, but some interim spending needs to be done to bridge the gaps of the old regime and the plans of the new.
  • Options
    I've only just gotten around to seeing the video and my initial thoughts are...

- Overall pleased. All three of them seemed relaxed and happy. KM was lovely. Seemed to have a really nice personality.

- RD is obviously looking at spending an absolute minimum required to keep us in the Championship this season and push on the next (by promoting youngsters from the Academy, etc) BUT AT LEAST IT SOUNDED LIKE HE IS WILLING TO LISTEN TO SCP

- I get the impression that SCP will be given a chance to manage Charlton beyond next season providing we stay up!

- Encouraged that both RM and KM plan on attending more away games this season.

I think (hope!) the club is in safe hands. Nice to see them communicating with the fans again after all this time even though we had to wait ages for the video to go online!

• Options
    TEL said:

Was quite pleased with what they had to say to be honest. I think some will be disappointed that there isn't a clearer commitment to having a real go at getting to the Premiership, although RD did mention that it is where the club needs to be.

Lots of talk about getting player wages under control - the inference being that the financial fair play rules will help clubs to do that. Maybe doesn't bode well for those hoping all the new contracts will be signed in a weeks time.

RD clearly keen on youth development, mentioned Liege have a number of home grown players in the team right now and have produced several good players in recent years. RM said that one of the benefits of having RD owning the club was it stabilised the club financially and meant we wouldn't have to sell young players too early - cited the example of Jenkinson saying we sold for a million because financially needed to, a year later he might have been worth over 5. Took that as a little bit of a message that Cousins is staying for a while yet. They didn't talk about academy status etc but said we have an excellent one and the optimist in me says that going for Cat 1 status will eventually become part of the clubs strategy - in my mind at least that would tie in with the idea of not being forced to sell early.

Not much talk of transfers and contracts, but have been speaking with Chris Powell about these things and they are trying to improve the team.

KM said her role would be working with (and I think overseeing) the management team (Bradshaw & co). She said she had met with or will be meeting with people from all levels in the club. She wants them to feel comfortable that they can come to her with any issues - cited an example that someone from the security team happened to be walking past her office and came in to talk to her about an issue with insufficient security staff. Said she would also be regularly at the training ground to talk to CP, particularly at times in the season like this (i.e. transfer window). Sounded to me like she wants to get stuck in and fix some of the niggly small day-to day issues at the club as well as some of the bigger picture items. She says she'll be attending a lot of games, maybe less so away from home. Generally seemed genuine and likeable, but hard to make too much judgement on someone in a few sentences in a interview but certainly less slippery than the last lawyer we had on the board.

RM is clearly primarily going to be the spokesman but said he will be more heavily involved than he was under MS/TJ who he 'left to get on with it', wasn't sure if that was true or just an effort to distance himself from the old regime. Either way, we can expect to see him at most matches home and away, and having a Charlton fan in a prominent role at the club has to be of some reassurance.

Other misc items, RD wants to make visiting the games more than just turning up for the match - he says people meet with friends at games and spend half a day off there - we need to improve hospitality offerings and also do more to entertain people while they are at the ground other than just the match (hopefully the match itself might also be more entertaining too). RD comes across as a calm, measured kind of guy - wants to take time to properly assess that state of the club and where improvements can be made. He said he was still getting to know CP, but said he thinks he is a good guy and good coach. I didn't get the impression that he intends to sack him, at least not right now. Referred to it as 'the club' and not as 'the business'.

Overall, I came away expecting we will see moderate, sustainable investment and a drive to reduce the club's outgoings, and increasing the income whilst generally running it better. On pitch improvement will be part of the plan, but don't expect that to be driven by big money signings, more likely smart transfer dealings and player development, which to be fair we were doing to decent effect until the money completely dried up under the last lot. The questions weren't the most probing or hard hitting (why would they be for the OS?), but he seemed to want to run us properly in what I might term ' a Charlton way' and that the fans aren't going to be treated as mugs.

Time will tell if I've read it right, but I never really wanted to be a money bags club so I'm quite happy with what I've heard so far.

Funny really, the parts you have outlined regarding the non football part of the game day is exactly what the Fans Forum circa 2009 were trying to improve but met with a brick wall. Maybe this new management team have got the nous to make it happen.
    See where you're coming from, Tel and I have to agree that what I know of the original FF, the requirement to find a solution to any problems indicated was a major headache and NOT the role of the Group.

I know that I may come across as sounding like the Head Honcho of the Ben Kensell Fan Club but the "non football part of the game day" is exactly what he has been keen to address and improve from the very start of his tenure. I remember posting that he sat in the North Stand at a game soon after he joined the Club , queued for a " pint & a pie" at halftime ; did the whole matchday experience. And found it lacking overall. Both he & Steve Bradshaw have put "Improving the matchday experience" top, or very close to the top of their list of priorities since their attendance at FF meetings began last summer.

However, as with other areas within our Club, the solution to some of the issues involved was restricted by the lack of funds made available by the previous regime whilst long term contracts entered into before their arrival had to run their course. Hopefully, RD will make money available for some positive changes to take place which will indeed make home games more attractive to those less than regular fans. At previous FF meetings we have discussed ideas of this nature including the lack of facilities for families pre kick off at The Valley & the over pricing of meals in Legends - this could be the beginning of a new era for supporters whereby there will be more choice as to where fans can seek their pre match drink/snack/family & friends get together. I'm certain these issues will be discussed again next Thursday evening when we meet up again, hopefully with a positive plan of action & funding for changes to be implemented.

I'm unsure whether you are aware that the minutes of our meetings are now displayed on the OS link for all to read - this is something I suggested at the last meeting held and it was unanimously agreed. FF members represent the supporters & hence said supporters should be able to see what has been discussed on their behalf....and any issues arising should be brought to the attention of one of the members to address/ bring to the Club's attention, on their behalf. That has to be the manner in which the process works with communication & transparency the key words.

• Options
    edited January 2014
    I liked what they had to say , i would like to see us in a stronger financial position with our youth players , so when we sell we can get better prices for them , sounds sensible , but we do need to strengthen in key areas (goalscorers) quickly if we want to avoid getting relegated, c'mon Roland , you can do it!
  • Options
    yet golfie, you said yest that we were missing all these strikers and letting smith go, not signing miller and some fella from hull no one has heard of, and now you say not just anyone will do
  • Options
    As others have said above, it was a positive, if predictably very measured, interview and both RD and KM came across well (the latter was, I thought, really quite charismatic).

The areas covered have all been very helpfully summarised by others earlier in the thread. The underlying themes include incremental improvement on a number of fronts, bringing our own talent through and player recruitment in the context of a more level playing field in the Championship once Financial Fair Play really kicks in.

I don't think we could reasonably have expected them to say very much about contract extensions for players (or for Olly to have tried to press them on that) in circumstances where negotiations will presumably be taking place with our three or four key players and their respective agents (if, indeed, discussions have not already commenced).

RD made some positive remarks about Chris Powell, based upon what he had been told by Richard Murray, adding that he was still getting to know Chris.

I liked Richard's remarks about holding onto our youngsters longer in order to realise their full value. I took that as a message in the clearest possible terms to our friends in the Premier League that Jordan Cousins will not be leaving this club cheaply - very shrewd (as one would expect from a man of his experience and calibre) . If this takeover hadn't happened, I fear that Jordan would have been on his way this month for a derisory fee (I still occasionally wake up in a cold sweat thinking about Paul Elliot's transfer to Luton for a meagre £95,000).

There have been various discussions about players with Chris Powell but we must now hope that we get a decent forward in before the window closes in a week's time.

• Options
    Not seen it as I won't pay to hear news of the club. From what I gather our owner tells us that the club is committed to youth....2 days after we sold a young striker bought with an eye on developing him and one who now has a lot of league experience, is full of confidence and knows where the goal is. Apparently our free scoring strikers blocked his path to a regular starting berth. We'll wait and see but how many of our youngsters in the last 5 years have progressed to the first team ? If what I understand is true then that'll be a real change then eh ? I hope it's true but am deferring judgement.

• Options
    I'm happy overall. I never want us to become a club like City or Chelsea, relying on their sugar daddies to buy whoever they want when they want. We seem to have an owner who is clever and won't let us turn to shit and in time we may become a stable side again.

Sounds like we're looking to keep it steady and go up eventually. Although I don't think RD realises how difficult it is gonna be to stay up this season. I really would like to see a proven goalscorer come in and a backup for Solly, then I can see us staying up comfortably.

• Options
    Someone who watched it suggested to me that an interesting comment is when RD and KM have said their stuff and RM cuts in stating "let's go back to what RD was saying about academies... someone who can really support the club can help it to hold on to top talent for longer...we sold Jenkinson for £1M and now he's worth £5-10M. Now we can hold on longer and get more value"
    From what I hear it is very clear that they aim to keep us up - I hope they are well advised to secure the right players to fill the gaps.
  • Options
    That'd be Jenkinson ( and Solly too btw ) who Simon Francis kept out of the first team for ages. As I alluded to, if we're giving youth a chance then it's a real sea change.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Love you RD, check you everyday on MTV.
  • Options

TEL said:

Was quite pleased with what they had to say to be honest. I think some will be disappointed that there isn't a clearer commitment to having a real go at getting to the Premiership, although RD did mention that it is where the club needs to be.

Lots of talk about getting player wages under control - the inference being that the financial fair play rules will help clubs to do that. Maybe doesn't bode well for those hoping all the new contracts will be signed in a weeks time.

RD clearly keen on youth development, mentioned Liege have a number of home grown players in the team right now and have produced several good players in recent years. RM said that one of the benefits of having RD owning the club was it stabilised the club financially and meant we wouldn't have to sell young players too early - cited the example of Jenkinson saying we sold for a million because financially needed to, a year later he might have been worth over 5. Took that as a little bit of a message that Cousins is staying for a while yet. They didn't talk about academy status etc but said we have an excellent one and the optimist in me says that going for Cat 1 status will eventually become part of the clubs strategy - in my mind at least that would tie in with the idea of not being forced to sell early.

Not much talk of transfers and contracts, but have been speaking with Chris Powell about these things and they are trying to improve the team.

KM said her role would be working with (and I think overseeing) the management team (Bradshaw & co). She said she had met with or will be meeting with people from all levels in the club. She wants them to feel comfortable that they can come to her with any issues - cited an example that someone from the security team happened to be walking past her office and came in to talk to her about an issue with insufficient security staff. Said she would also be regularly at the training ground to talk to CP, particularly at times in the season like this (i.e. transfer window). Sounded to me like she wants to get stuck in and fix some of the niggly small day-to day issues at the club as well as some of the bigger picture items. She says she'll be attending a lot of games, maybe less so away from home. Generally seemed genuine and likeable, but hard to make too much judgement on someone in a few sentences in a interview but certainly less slippery than the last lawyer we had on the board.

RM is clearly primarily going to be the spokesman but said he will be more heavily involved than he was under MS/TJ who he 'left to get on with it', wasn't sure if that was true or just an effort to distance himself from the old regime. Either way, we can expect to see him at most matches home and away, and having a Charlton fan in a prominent role at the club has to be of some reassurance.

Other misc items, RD wants to make visiting the games more than just turning up for the match - he says people meet with friends at games and spend half a day off there - we need to improve hospitality offerings and also do more to entertain people while they are at the ground other than just the match (hopefully the match itself might also be more entertaining too). RD comes across as a calm, measured kind of guy - wants to take time to properly assess that state of the club and where improvements can be made. He said he was still getting to know CP, but said he thinks he is a good guy and good coach. I didn't get the impression that he intends to sack him, at least not right now. Referred to it as 'the club' and not as 'the business'.

Overall, I came away expecting we will see moderate, sustainable investment and a drive to reduce the club's outgoings, and increasing the income whilst generally running it better. On pitch improvement will be part of the plan, but don't expect that to be driven by big money signings, more likely smart transfer dealings and player development, which to be fair we were doing to decent effect until the money completely dried up under the last lot. The questions weren't the most probing or hard hitting (why would they be for the OS?), but he seemed to want to run us properly in what I might term ' a Charlton way' and that the fans aren't going to be treated as mugs.

Time will tell if I've read it right, but I never really wanted to be a money bags club so I'm quite happy with what I've heard so far.

Funny really, the parts you have outlined regarding the non football part of the game day is exactly what the Fans Forum circa 2009 were trying to improve but met with a brick wall. Maybe this new management team have got the nous to make it happen.
    See where you're coming from, Tel and I have to agree that what I know of the original FF, the requirement to find a solution to any problems indicated was a major headache and NOT the role of the Group.

I know that I may come across as sounding like the Head Honcho of the Ben Kensell Fan Club but the "non football part of the game day" is exactly what he has been keen to address and improve from the very start of his tenure. I remember posting that he sat in the North Stand at a game soon after he joined the Club , queued for a " pint & a pie" at halftime ; did the whole matchday experience. And found it lacking overall. Both he & Steve Bradshaw have put "Improving the matchday experience" top, or very close to the top of their list of priorities since their attendance at FF meetings began last summer.

However, as with other areas within our Club, the solution to some of the issues involved was restricted by the lack of funds made available by the previous regime whilst long term contracts entered into before their arrival had to run their course. Hopefully, RD will make money available for some positive changes to take place which will indeed make home games more attractive to those less than regular fans. At previous FF meetings we have discussed ideas of this nature including the lack of facilities for families pre kick off at The Valley & the over pricing of meals in Legends - this could be the beginning of a new era for supporters whereby there will be more choice as to where fans can seek their pre match drink/snack/family & friends get together. I'm certain these issues will be discussed again next Thursday evening when we meet up again, hopefully with a positive plan of action & funding for changes to be implemented.

I'm unsure whether you are aware that the minutes of our meetings are now displayed on the OS link for all to read - this is something I suggested at the last meeting held and it was unanimously agreed. FF members represent the supporters & hence said supporters should be able to see what has been discussed on their behalf....and any issues arising should be brought to the attention of one of the members to address/ bring to the Club's attention, on their behalf. That has to be the manner in which the process works with communication & transparency the key words.

That's great Jean, I may still have some of our notes from back then.....you're more than welcome to them if they are of any use, but looks like you have it covered.

:-)
  • Options
    edited January 2014
  • Options
    I'm very encouraged by that interview. Roland comes across as a decent down to earth man who believes in hard work and doing things the right way. Katrien, wow, what a beautiful young lady (am I allowed to say that these day's)? her smile would be enough to brighten anyone's day. More importantly she seems to be a person who wants to listen and take action to improve the club.
  • Options

we sold Jenkinson for £1M and now he's worth £5-10M.

And that there statement explains how we paid £2m for Djimi Traore !!!

If Jenkinson had stayed with us for 2 years he'd prolly be worth less than a £1m cos I'm not sure he'd be starting in front of Solly , just cos he has the odd start at Arsenal will triple his worth more than if he had the odd start at Charlton
  • Options
    Rick, I'm not sure, Pigott, aside possibly one can include players that have featured. If so, one would have to add Smith to that list. I'm looking at those given a regular chance. Smith's gone never having set foot on the pitch for us in the league even in this season. That makes no sense to me.
    Jenkinson and Randolph left partly out of frustration I believe. I don't doubt for one moment that we've produced good players because clearly we do. However, several seem to have left without having had a regular taste of first team action. You cite 3 players who left and came back, ( which adds weight to my argument ) why could they have not come through with us ? We weren't pulling up any trees during their absence. Harriott made his debut and was then rarely seen, Jackson spent virtually the whole season on the left. Look at Tuesday for example, Poyet could have come on when Pritchard did and Lennon should have got on too. The academy does fantastic work and their products need every encouragement. I feel we don't do enough to give them hope, if that's about to change, then great because it's long overdue.
  • Options
    Finally got to see it ...well worth watching.

Very positive responses from all three interviewees, sensible and well thought-out. Clearly defined roles at the club, and communication within the club and with fans is of paramount importance to them. The type of people that I would be happy to work with in my own business.

Augurs well for the rest of the season and next year.

Obviously only time will tell where this goes, but all looks good at this stage.
  • Options
    Got to admit I enjoyed that. They speak very well. Just hope they put there words into action. Defo worth a watch.
  • Options
    I found the interview encouraging and I like RD's vision . To have a "stable" of players to develop and to draw upon wiithin a Euopean "family" of clubs seems to me a sensible way of combatting the ridiculous auction that currently exists for players at silly prices. It may not work out but at least it does not appear that we will be building up unmanigable debt buying players just because it is senn as the only way forward.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited January 2014
    Category 1 status for the academy and serious upgrading of Sparrows Lane is the moment I will start believing that the new regime is serious about the club. Both are vital to the model of producing home grown top talent and making it sustainable. After the signing of Ronaldo these have to be the priorities.

I presume that the same priorities will exist in each of "the stable" so quite a lot of investment already required. I can't say I am overly hopeful of seeing any advancement very soon.
  • Options
    I'm not sure how this may work but what if our academy could be re-designated as a 'satellite' of SL's academy, thereby getting round the problem of the category system whereby our players can be 'stolen' by the premier league clubs.
  • Options
    Gillis said:

two youth products have earned moves to to the Premier League in the last four years (three if you count Semi Ajayi), and I'd feel pretty encouraged!

Make that seven in 5 years. Shelvey, Jenkinson, Ajayi, Palmer, Elliot, McGinty and Ryan Huddart (a goalkeeper that went to Arsenal at 15/16).

Big clubs as well, Liverpool, Arsenal x 3, Chelsea, Newcastle and Man Utd.

Solly, Harriott and Cousins have all been linked and no doubt watched as well.
  • Options
    edited January 2014

Category 1 status for the academy and serious upgrading of Sparrows Lane is the moment I will start believing that the new regime is serious about the club. Both are vital to the model of producing home grown top talent and making it sustainable. After the signing of Ronaldo these have to be the priorities.

I presume that the same priorities will exist in each of "the stable" so quite a lot of investment already required. I can't say I am overly hopeful of seeing any advancement very soon.

I'd settle for stabilisation, but it makes no more sense for RD to run the club in the Championship than it did for the previous regime. I take with a large pinch of salt the suggestion we may we able to break even in the Championship, as it would require the playing budget to be cut to zero or a corresponding increase in income, which isn't going to happen without balancing investment. There's really not much "other" cost left to cut, except I suppose the interest on the bank loan if it is paid down.
  • Options
    Scoham said:

Gillis said:

two youth products have earned moves to to the Premier League in the last four years (three if you count Semi Ajayi), and I'd feel pretty encouraged!

Make that seven in 5 years. Shelvey, Jenkinson, Ajayi, Palmer, Elliot, McGinty and Ryan Huddart (a goalkeeper that went to Arsenal at 15/16).

Big clubs as well, Liverpool, Arsenal x 3, Chelsea, Newcastle and Man Utd.

Solly, Harriott and Cousins have all been linked and no doubt watched as well.
    I can't believe I forgot Elliot!
  • Options
    edited January 2014
    Phil said:

Rick, I'm not sure, Pigott, aside possibly one can include players that have featured. If so, one would have to add Smith to that list. I'm looking at those given a regular chance. Smith's gone never having set foot on the pitch for us in the league even in this season. That makes no sense to me.
    Jenkinson and Randolph left partly out of frustration I believe. I don't doubt for one moment that we've produced good players because clearly we do. However, several seem to have left without having had a regular taste of first team action. You cite 3 players who left and came back, ( which adds weight to my argument ) why could they have not come through with us ? We weren't pulling up any trees during their absence. Harriott made his debut and was then rarely seen, Jackson spent virtually the whole season on the left. Look at Tuesday for example, Poyet could have come on when Pritchard did and Lennon should have got on too. The academy does fantastic work and their products need every encouragement. I feel we don't do enough to give them hope, if that's about to change, then great because it's long overdue.

I agree with Gillis in response to this - but just to add I put the players in categories because I accept someone making one sub appearance doesn't amount to much.

Michael Smith wouldn't qualify in any event, because he is not a product of the Charlton youth system in the same way as the others.
  • Options

Agree on the first para. On the second para we shall have to wait and see but more info on how the Academy will be supported, in fact more flash on the bone on all the issues raised, would be most welcome.

• Options

by the sounds of it he wont be splashing much cash (if any) and so any players coming in are likely to be on loan (as Henry has been telling us for weeks) and is also happy to see players leave in the summer to be replaced by our academy kids (Poyet & Fox are two that come to mind if Wiggins & Stephens leave).

That's all ok if we are in The Championship - I just hope he has seen enough to know we desperately need strengthening now and will sanction the 2 or 3 players that we need to stay up.

Whilst on the subject, any striker that does come in needs to be on form and up to the job - no good bringing in players from abroad who don't know the league or players who have not been scoring regularly, It sounds plain enough but the players that fir this category normally cost money & I fear that as mentioned above we will end up bringing in players that are surplus to requirements elsewhere or currently out of form..........and we have 2 of those here at the moment.

Pretty sure Henry isn't the only one who has said they'll be loan signings.
  • Options
    Phil said:

Not seen it as I won't pay to hear news of the club. From what I gather our owner tells us that the club is committed to youth....2 days after we sold a young striker bought with an eye on developing him and one who now has a lot of league experience, is full of confidence and knows where the goal is. Apparently our free scoring strikers blocked his path to a regular starting berth. We'll wait and see but how many of our youngsters in the last 5 years have progressed to the first team ? If what I understand is true then that'll be a real change then eh ? I hope it's true but am deferring judgement.

That's the only part I struggle to understand. Promising to focus on youth the day after a young forward who has a record of 1 every 2.5 games this season in a side that's hardly setting the world alight.