Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

If the worst happens

124»

Comments

• And RD sacks Sir Chris, & replaces him with an unknown (to us fans) foreign coach, whilst still bringing in rejects from his other clubs, can I ask what the morale is going to be amongst the majority of us fans - not including the numptys on another forum who are calling for his sacking?

Will there be voting with our feet - ie boycotting games - or creating a hostile atmosphere at games where we make our feelings very clear?

Personally I am very fearful of our immediate future & do believe that SCP will get the sack. Without knowing much about him, I think RD is like one of the bad guys in the James Bond movies - eg the megalomaniac who wants to take over the world. What is to be gained by owning so many football clubs?

I hope I'm wrong but I can't see anything positive coming out of RD's takeover.

Great foresight no fan wanted to even contemplate. How accurate it became.
  • edited December 2015

So, 23 months after I started this thread, are you still paying to watch the club@Lincsaddick? Or is the situation as bad as I feared?

Hope the 2 of you who LOL'd still think the situation is funny and you are enjoying your football in a half empty stadium, with a clueless lying CEO and players not fit for the job
    (Literally in some cases, the perennially injured Igor)

If the situation arose where CAFC became little more than a nursery/testing ground for Standard Liege players, irrespective as to who was the manager, I would no longer pay to watch the club play. To me, such a situation would mean that CAFC was no longer the club which has been a part of my life since the early 1960s and I would want no part of it

---------------------------------
    this was SOOO long ago .. I'm still going to most away games in the north and midlands, a few in the west and will be at the valley for acoupla games later in the season ..
    Roland has sold SL so the nursery theory does not stand .. The Duchatelet 'model' seems to be coming quite common throughout professional football, the Valencia/Salford City set up for example .. Time will tell if such adventures are or are not a success ..
    I am a bit ambiguous about the current situation at CAFC .. I don't think that the squad is as bad as some make out, Freaye must be given a chance to get it right (at least his English is better than Luzon's) .. yes, there have been mistakes in appointing managers and probably in the PR sphere .. I would like to see us managed by an experienced BRITISH manager and I DO NOT MEAN some failure who has done the rounds and 'interviews well' ...
    I do not microscopically examine the financial minutiae of the clubs cashflow/expenditure/income but I am pleased that the club seems to be financially secure, due in full to Duchatelet's careful fiscal policies .. I DO NOT WANT a Bolton type situation where a club can get tens of millions in debt and still be in danger of relegation with a nice newish stadium to maintain ... (I have views on clubs going into admin, but this is not what this discussion is about) ..

I repeat what I have typed all those months ago .. I have followed CAFC since 1961, I've seen many times worse than this .. to summarise, I am pleased that CAFC has not become a nursery club for the other Roland clubs (the reverse is more like the reality) .. I am delighted that so many academy graduates have played and are playing for the full team whilst accepting that the most talented in the longer run will be sold at a profit ... pleased that there is a new pitch at the Valley and I'm hopeful that relegation will be avoided and that some stability will ensue for some near future success .. BUT ..

I AM VERY WORRIED ABOUT THE ATTITUDE OF MANY 'FANS' .. The anti Roland bandwagon is outta control it seems to me and we are in danger as an entity of fans of becoming turkeys voting for Christmas .. i.e. Roland saying 'fuck it', walking away and leaving my beloved Charlton Athletic, ownerless, homeless, potless, futureless and fanless ..
    ALSO .. some experienced BRITISH players would be more than welcome .. we have a few VERY promising youngsters and a few decent 'foreigners', WE NEED some players with experience of the UK scene .. Ideally, without spending silly money and getting into debt
  • So, 23 months after I started this thread, are you still paying to watch the club@Lincsaddick? Or is the situation as bad as I feared?

Hope the 2 of you who LOL'd still think the situation is funny and you are enjoying your football in a half empty stadium, with a clueless lying CEO and players not fit for the job

If the situation arose where CAFC became little more than a nursery/testing ground for Standard Liege players, irrespective as to who was the manager, I would no longer pay to watch the club play. To me, such a situation would mean that CAFC was no longer the club which has been a part of my life since the early 1960s and I would want no part of it

Yet you gave me a LOL for a post from 18 months ago (which I stand by)

And just in case you ask this is what I was saying then and I stand by this article too http://forum.charltonlife.com/discussion/59079/new-article-the-china-syndrome/p1
  • So, 23 months after I started this thread, are you still paying to watch the club@Lincsaddick? Or is the situation as bad as I feared?

this was SOOO long ago .. I'm still going to most away games in the north and midlands, a few in the west and will be at the valley for acoupla games later in the season ..
    Roland has sold SL so the nursery theory does not stand .. The Duchatelet 'model' seems to be coming quite common throughout professional football, the Valencia/Salford City set up for example .. Time will tell if such adventures are or are not a success ..
    I am a bit ambiguous about the current situation at CAFC .. I don't think that the squad is as bad as some make out, Freaye must be given a chance to get it right (at least his English is better than Luzon's) .. yes, there have been mistakes in appointing managers and probably in the PR sphere .. I would like to see us managed by an experienced BRITISH manager and I DO NOT MEAN some failure who has done the rounds and 'interviews well' ...
    I do not microscopically examine the financial minutiae of the clubs cashflow/expenditure/income but I am pleased that the club seems to be financially secure, due in full to Duchatelet's careful fiscal policies .. I DO NOT WANT a Bolton type situation where a club can get tens of millions in debt and still be in danger of relegation with a nice newish stadium to maintain ... (I have views on clubs going into admin, but this is not what this discussion is about) ..

I repeat what I have typed all those months ago .. I have followed CAFC since 1961, I've seen many times worse than this .. to summarise, I am pleased that CAFC has not become a nursery club for the other Roland clubs (the reverse is more like the reality) .. I am delighted that so many academy graduates have played and are playing for the full team whilst accepting that the most talented in the longer run will be sold at a profit ... pleased that there is a new pitch at the Valley and I'm hopeful that relegation will be avoided and that some stability will ensue for some near future success .. BUT ..

I AM VERY WORRIED ABOUT THE ATTITUDE OF MANY 'FANS' .. The anti Roland bandwagon is outta control it seems to me and we are in danger as an entity of fans of becoming turkeys voting for Christmas .. i.e. Roland saying 'fuck it', walking away and leaving my beloved Charlton Athletic, ownerless, homeless, potless, futureless and fanless ..
    ALSO .. some experienced BRITISH players would be more than welcome .. we have a few VERY promising youngsters and a few decent 'foreigners', WE NEED some players with experience of the UK scene .. Ideally, without spending silly money and getting into debt
    I agree with you we have a decent first XI but it lacks experience in British football, the games against Sheffield Wednesday and Fulham seemed to prove this. When we have a leader (Jackson) and maybe a smattering of players that know this league it makes other players play better. I believe that if we signed 4 players or so we would go up the table for sure.
  • I didn't LOL you Henry, have just looked back at that post & couldn't quite understand It. I still stand by my original post from Jan 14 that the club is in one heck of a mess. I also can't get my head around how certain people still cannot (or refuse to) see this.

Perhaps a relegation will sort out the rose-tinted brigade.
  • edited December 2015

I didn't LOL you Henry, have just looked back at that post & couldn't quite understand It. I still stand by my original post from Jan 14 that the club is in one heck of a mess. I also can't get my head around how certain people still cannot (or refuse to) see this.

But you did "LOL" it. 22 months after it was posted.

Who are these certain people who can't see it? Certainly not me
  • Another excellent summing-up, Mutters. 1975 was my first year too, but now there seems to be a choice between anger and apathy over Roland's failing experiment. The club appear to be targetting the angry fans while ignoring the apathy which is more dangerous in the long-term, because when they stop attending they'll find other things to do on a Saturday, and it won't be so easy to get them back.
  • I didn't LOL you Henry, have just looked back at that post & couldn't quite understand It. I still stand by my original post from Jan 14 that the club is in one heck of a mess. I also can't get my head around how certain people still cannot (or refuse to) see this.

That must have been last week then when I was re-reading your comments, I certainly wasn't laughing at them.

==========

I know you're not one of the rose-tinted brigade Henry, but let's start with ever reliable Colin who can't see anything is wrong. I don't read every posting on here so am not sure who else , but over on the "other side" (Into The Valley) there are a few (who may or may not also be on here under different names)

I think this is one reason why we will never be able to get a properly organised and well supported protest going, because for some people there really is nothing to protest about, everything is fine.
  • Sponsored links:

• Parkinson out should do lottery mate ur be a millionaire by next week with ur predictions

That must have been last week then when I was re-reading your comments, I certainly wasn't laughing at them.

==========

I know you're not one of the rose-tinted brigade Henry, but let's start with ever reliable Colin who can't see anything is wrong. I don't read every posting on here so am not sure who else , but over on the "other side" (Into The Valley) there are a few (who may or may not also be on here under different names)

I think this is one reason why we will never be able to get a properly organised and well supported protest going, because for some people there really is nothing to protest about, everything is fine.
    But you "LOL"ING something is laughing at it. And yes you did last week. That was my point.
  • And RD sacks Sir Chris, & replaces him with an unknown (to us fans) foreign coach, whilst still bringing in rejects from his other clubs, can I ask what the morale is going to be amongst the majority of us fans - not including the numptys on another forum who are calling for his sacking?

Will there be voting with our feet - ie boycotting games - or creating a hostile atmosphere at games where we make our feelings very clear?

Personally I am very fearful of our immediate future & do believe that SCP will get the sack. Without knowing much about him, I think RD is like one of the bad guys in the James Bond movies - eg the megalomaniac who wants to take over the world. What is to be gained by owning so many football clubs?

I hope I'm wrong but I can't see anything positive coming out of RD's takeover.

Seems you were right.