Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

If the worst happens

Comments

• Yea it is pure and simple. Somebody disagrees with the concensus and they're outcast for it!

I like being on here, but it does feel like being back at school and trying to fit in with the popular kids.
  • WSSWSS
    edited January 2014
    I do genuinely believe what I'm saying. Of course I'm basing my opinion on what has happened in the past because that's the only thing we can be sure of.

At present we are out of the relegation zone and maybe just slightly below where many originally thought we'd be at the start of the season considering the squad we had/have.

Not sure about the Wenger comparison at all but Arsenal have had a lot more stability then most other clubs in the PL who have chopped and changed (and spent a lot of money).

Sometimes you've got to realise who and what you are as a club. Of course I have ambition for us but it doesn't come at the cost of short-termism, reactiveness and recklessness.
  • I understand your point about the past being the only evidence we have. My argument would be that we are clearly not in the same position as last year and neither are our surroundings. So we need to adapt.

my Wenger point is that, why have they not won the league again sinvlce they did, they didnt change the manager. So looking back, using your analogy, they should have won it again.
  • edited January 2014

Ive made points on here and been insulted and laughed at and ridiculed for my points. I didnt see you jumping to my defence then?

You keep saying that you've been laughed at but I can't remember seeing that at all. People disagree with your views.

• uie2 said:

WSS said:

DMC said:

DRF said:

If he sacks SCP good luck with the upcoming season ticket sales.
    It's all conjecture at the moment but I expect him to offer Chris a new contract very soon .

This is the problem with baseless speculation. When some where calling for Parky to go, others said he should stay as we would get no one better. How many of those would in retrospect like to have kept Parky and not taken Powell?

For the sake of pointless speculation, do you really believe sales would suffer if the new board bought Curbs back? Or how about if we got Capello or any ther top class manager.

It is pointless to say what if when the future is so very unclear.
    Yes unfortunatly getting capello might be slightly optimistic! In my eyes the only forgivable way he could sack powell would be if he bought curbs back. I would find it unforgivable if he sacked chris powell otherwise.

On the bright side, if he does sack SCP, then at least there will be some nice cheap season tickets in league one!
    Why do you honestly believe CP can keep us up?! what has he shown you to make you believe that?
    Erm. Because he kept us up last year.
    yea but with much better players! obika,fuller,haynes etc ! ie money tight this season and they left
    But that isn't Powell's fault. It just shows that given the resources he can keep us up. So give him the resources.

• cs1986 said:

The worst is relegation not Powell going FFS. You support Charlton not Powell.

Some common sense, at last.
  • danhughes, with respect, read grapevine49's post in the top thread China Syndrome.

That should answer, why Powell deserves more time & assistance.

It's ALL there.
  • The whole Charlton vs. Powell thing is weird as well.

Even the most fervent Powell supporters would not choose him over the club. I don't even think Powell would choose Powell!
  • cs1986 said:

And anyone seriously thinks there are people who support Chris Powell above the club ???

This is starting to get ridiculously bizarre
  • Sponsored links:

• cs1986 said:

Correct

• The worst could be after what you describe as the worst... But that won't be known until a change is made. You need to calm down and support the club... Not an individual, no matter who he is. Plus,mentioning another forum is tedious and not relevant.
  • cs1986 said:

And anyone seriously thinks there are people who support Chris Powell above the club ???

This is starting to get ridiculously bizarre
    But, the title of this thread is "If the worst happens".

So, on that basis, the person who started this thread is saying he chooses Powell over the club.

Because, that means he thinks CP getting sacked is worse than the club going bust, moving back to Selhurst Park, playing in the Skill Premier League etc. etc.

Unless my understanding of "worst" is wrong...
  • Bring in the Welling manager; DaveMehmet

• my Wenger point is that, why have they not won the league again sinvlce they did, they didnt change the manager. So looking back, using your analogy, they should have won it again.

They might this year.

But what are our genuine ambitions as a club? Playoffs? Comfortable mid-table? Survival?

What is the club vision? To get back to the PL? How long should/will it take? Do we need investment or do we hope for some super manager (not Powell) to work miracles with the current squad?

The fact is, when Powell was given an objective to get promoted and was provided with the tools to help him, he did it. Surely he should be given that chance again if it's available?
  • edited January 2014
    As previously said I indifferent to Powell. I never pulled myself off when he was appointed like many did. His first six months was shocking , Parky would have finished higher that year. He was handsomely supported in his second year, and Dueley obliged.In late March/April last season it was either the Bolton or Leeds quite late in the season where we nicked a win and if we hadn't we would have been in the bottom 3.Last season the league was a lot tighter than this season, with anyone from 9 downwards in danger for most of the season. This year I s different and the bottom 6 are gettin marooned. He ain't a saint he is a ex player a nice bloke who is manager, but being a nice guy doesn't mean you should be exempt and be beyond criticism.
  • Henry, thats a fantastic post! Thanks for pointing me towards it.and a totally different way to view the situation. Im viewing this from a football stand point, our tactics, decision making and general play have been poor this season and ultimately that lies with the manager and coaching staf for.

What grapevine says is look longer term, so what if we go down this year provided we put everything in place to be in the PL in 5-10 years or whenever so long as we are a sustainable business with a future. It is a point that is very hard to argie with as b ultimately it is what we all want, its just incredibly hard to stand by and potentially suffer a relegation thats possibly for the greater good.

a lot of counter arguments to me are that there is no guarantee that replacing CP will save us, the opposite is true, theres no guarantee that keeping him is for our greater good.
  • uie2 said:

WSS said:

DMC said:

DRF said:

If he sacks SCP good luck with the upcoming season ticket sales.
    It's all conjecture at the moment but I expect him to offer Chris a new contract very soon .

This is the problem with baseless speculation. When some where calling for Parky to go, others said he should stay as we would get no one better. How many of those would in retrospect like to have kept Parky and not taken Powell?

For the sake of pointless speculation, do you really believe sales would suffer if the new board bought Curbs back? Or how about if we got Capello or any ther top class manager.

It is pointless to say what if when the future is so very unclear.
    Yes unfortunatly getting capello might be slightly optimistic! In my eyes the only forgivable way he could sack powell would be if he bought curbs back. I would find it unforgivable if he sacked chris powell otherwise.

On the bright side, if he does sack SCP, then at least there will be some nice cheap season tickets in league one!
    Why do you honestly believe CP can keep us up?! what has he shown you to make you believe that?
    Erm. Because he kept us up last year.
    yea but with much better players! obika,fuller,haynes etc ! ie money tight this season and they left
    But that isn't Powell's fault. It just shows that given the resources he can keep us up. So give him the resources.

sort of what i was trying to say ;)
  • Why you jumping on me?

Im asking of the guy genuinely believes what he is saying and checking that he is ok.

Ive made points on here and been insulted and laughed at and ridiculed for my points. I didnt see you jumping to my defence then?

Whats with the different rules for different people?

Dan AFKA and WSS come on here to insult anyone having a different opinion to theirs cowards IMHO but just goes to show the keyboard is mightier than the sword
  • Vincent said:

Why you jumping on me?

Im asking of the guy genuinely believes what he is saying and checking that he is ok.

Dan AFKA and WSS come on here to insult anyone having a different opinion to theirs cowards IMHO but just goes to show the keyboard is mightier than the sword

And they're founding members of the NLA fan club too!!! The scoundrels..................
  • Sponsored links:

• WSSWSS
    edited January 2014
    Please point me in the direction of one of my direct insults?

Also, in the Lib pretty much every home game if you want to say hi. Met many lifers before - always good to put a name to multiple usernames.

Think it's important if you're running a forum (or a marathon) to get as involved as possible wherever and however you can. ;-)
  • JT said:

Bring in the Welling manager; DaveMehmet

Yer get the Mehmet in
  • Would you be saying this about Powell if it was another manager and not a Charlton Legend?

I think Vincent's transport has arrived

• WSS said:

Also, in the Lib pretty much every home game if you want to say hi. Met many lifers before - always good to put a name to multiple usernames.

You won't miss him he'll be wearing a brown corduroy jacket and blue sun visor
  • Rothko said:

I think Vincent's transport has arrived

Twat
  • WSS said:

Think it's important if you're running a forum (or a marathon) to get as involved as possible wherever and however you can. ;-)

You dig me out quiet a lot and you will find in the Lib most home games sitting by the TV in the small bar.
    Please feel free to introduce yourself

Not long now I think...
  • Why you jumping on me?

Oh Dan! Join the club!!

They've been ganging up on me for years.
  • Riviera said:

Why you jumping on me?

Oh Dan! Join the club!!

They've been ganging up on me for years.

just because you're paranoid don't mean they're not out to getcha ... ((:>)