Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Safe Standing

Comments

• Options
    Might do as a coliation again, be interesting to see what the other two parities say
  • Options
    "I was there , I was there , justice for the 96 , I was there"

This is what's holding it back.
  • Options
    The Libs Dems are like a Chocolate Teapot. I like your manifesto, but no one chance of putting it to the testo.
  • Options
    Hopefully the other parties will follow suit and to nullify the lib dems.
  • Options
    Alastair Campbell wanted to put it in the last Labour manifesto but Andy Burnham put a block on it.
  • Options
    Lib dem are pointless, anyone that votes for them needs there head testing
  • Options
    You don't even need to repeal the legislation. Just ask the incumbent Secretary of State to rescind orders made under the legislation!
    To place something so trivial in an election manifesto just about sums up the Lib Dems' utter hopelessness and lack of understanding of how Government actually works.
  • Options
    Celtic put forward their proposal recently. Hasn't been approved. Apparently the government have said its an issue for the council and the council have said its an issue for the government. Don't think we will see safe standing areas at top levels...

http://www.celticfc.net/news/6438

CELTIC Football Club is extremely disappointed and concerned that approval could not be given at today's meeting (Wednesday) of the Safety Advisory Group (SAG) to grant permission to install rail seating at Celtic Park, designed to allow safe standing by supporters.

The club has provided substantial and detailed information in support of this proposal over the past two-and-a-half years and has made every effort to address comprehensively all issues raised by the SAG. Today’s decision has been made despite the Club also providing the requested additional information from an independent stadium safety expert, Dr Steve Frosdick.

Surprisingly, we have also today been informed by the Safety Advisory Group, chaired by Glasgow City Council, that this may be a matter for the Scottish Government, and yet we have previously been told by the Scottish Government that this is a decision which must be taken locally at Council level.

Spectator-safety at Celtic Park is of paramount importance and we believe the proposals we have made would significantly enhance safety at matches. This is a vitally important spectator-safety issue. It is also an opportunity for Glasgow and for Scottish football to lead the UK in this area.

We do not understand the rationale for today’s decision and in an attempt to seek clarity on this matter, we have requested a full written explanation for the judgement made. Once this has been received we will be in a position to communicate further with our supporters.
  • Options
    Margaret Aspinall, Chair of the Hillsborough Family Support Group, has a right to be bitter but her comments are just irrational and anti football. Most politicians will be scared to support anything that can be thrown back as not supporting the Hillsborough group, so to that end the Lib Dems might help break the taboo and allow a rational discussion.

"The Football League has a right to lobby but we'll always oppose all kinds of standing - that's the position of our group and nothing will move us from that position....People are talking about standing yet we have had no justice. We just think people's lives are more important than any atmosphere"

It's one thing to say that the disaster wouldn't have happened in a seating area, another thing to say that standing was the cause of the disaster and imply support for standing is disrespectful to those who died.
  • Options
    Yeah, but what would Thatcher have done??
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

Yeah, but what would Thatcher have done??

"...over my dead body..."
  • Options

Margaret Aspinall, Chair of the Hillsborough Family Support Group, has a right to be bitter but her comments are just irrational and anti football. Most politicians will be scared to support anything that can be thrown back as not supporting the Hillsborough group, so to that end the Lib Dems might help break the taboo and allow a rational discussion.

"The Football League has a right to lobby but we'll always oppose all kinds of standing - that's the position of our group and nothing will move us from that position....People are talking about standing yet we have had no justice. We just think people's lives are more important than any atmosphere"

It's one thing to say that the disaster wouldn't have happened in a seating area, another thing to say that standing was the cause of the disaster and imply support for standing is disrespectful to those who died.

I wonder how that holds up with the survivors and families of the Bradford fire.

• Options

Didn't one of the official inquirys say that standing played no part also?
  • Options
    Bristol City (down the road from me) have installed safe standing rails for the Rugby which has moved to Ashton Gate from the Memorial Ground, but obviously at present it cant be used for football.

Pleased the Lib Dems have put down a marker on this, up to the other parties now to follow suit or at least address why they say no.
  • Options
    edited August 2014
    The Lib Dems were going to oppose the swingeing increases in student tuition fees too until they smelt the scent of power....

#justsaying
  • Options
    LenGlover said:

The Lib Dems were going to oppose the swingeing increases in student tuition fees too until they smelt the scent of power....

#justsaying

My thoughts, how many manifesto promises did they break after getting power. A Liberal manifesto is not worth the voting slip its written on.

• Options
    LenGlover said:

#justsaying

The Lib Dems are the minority partner in a coalition, unless they won the election outright they were never going to stop tuition fee increases. The increases were advocated in the Browne review (Commissioned by Labour) and supported by both Labour and the Conservatives.

Whatever way they went in coalition went they were always going to have difficult going against the prevailing consensus between the two main parties. The clear mistake they made was signing pledges for something that it was unlikely they could deliver (it was unlikely they would win a majority).

The whole 'scent of power' thing is a joke, what party wouldn't jump at the chance to implement even on tiny iota of their manifesto. To not even try and enact some of the policies in their manifesto would equally be a betrayal to those who voted for them. What's the point in even standing candidates if you don't want them to make decisions?

They've let some awful things through within their term of government, but equally they've stopped some awful things that the Conservatives wanted to push through. At the end of they day they have delivered a number of elements of their manifesto.

These include taking the lowest paid out of paying tax (10K income tax threshold), delivering same sex marriage, getting a (admittedly unsuccessful) referendum on voting reform, the pupil premium (giving schools extra money for disadvantaged children), restoring the pensions link to earnings and sorting auto-enrolment, scrapping ID cards, stopping the detention of children, cutting the period of detention without trail, introducing shared parental leave.

All elements that wouldn't have been on the table without the Lib Dems being part of the government, so its good that the Lib Dems are asserting support for safe standing.

• Options
    edited August 2014
    here's our take

• Options
    If I am giving information which is already known on here I apologise. I saw on BBC this morning that what is being considered is to place seats on the terracing which can be locked in the upright position. This gives the option of seating, or standing in front of your seat but with a definite place and room to stand, thereby avoiding the danger of a Hillsborough situation. Sounded interesting to me, the Lower North might lend itself to it.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Hopefully the other parties will follow suit and to nullify the lib dems.

They can't get any more nullified than they already are !
  • Options
    Bristol have already done that, and allow standing for Rugby not sure if it's allowed in the Premier League at all. Assume de dems are also suggesting standing be allowed in Football not just the installation of that kind of seat.
  • Options

Margaret Aspinall, Chair of the Hillsborough Family Support Group

I still don't understand this. They've campaigned for years (quite rightly) to get South Yorkshire Police brought to justice. Surely by stating that standing at football is inherently dangerous they are shifting the blame away from the police?

Also, they "have had no justice"? The Hillsborough Independent Panel exonerated Liverpool supporters from any blame and found numerous counts of scandalous conduct by South Yorkshire Police, leading to a formal apology from the Prime Minister. I think it's fair to say they have had some justice.

Fairly sure that Liverpool supporters are amongst the worst offenders in terms of widespread standing at home (The Kop specifically) and away games.

The Hillsborough Family Support Group is undoubtedly fighting a just and noble battle, it's very difficult to like them at times though.
  • Options
    MrLargo said:

I still don't understand this. They've campaigned for years (quite rightly) to get South Yorkshire Police brought to justice. Surely by stating that standing at football is inherently dangerous they are shifting the blame away from the police?

Also, they "have had no justice"? The Hillsborough Independent Panel exonerated Liverpool supporters from any blame and found numerous counts of scandalous conduct by South Yorkshire Police, leading to a formal apology from the Prime Minister. I think it's fair to say they have had some justice.

Fairly sure that Liverpool supporters are amongst the worst offenders in terms of widespread standing at home (The Kop specifically) and away games.

The Hillsborough Family Support Group is undoubtedly fighting a just and noble battle, it's very difficult to like them at times though.
    I assume their concern is "surging" and the potential for crush injuries and suffocation as a result?

• Options
    LenGlover said:

MrLargo said:

I assume their concern is "surging" and the potential for crush injuries and suffocation as a result?

Surging is impossible with safe standing as there is a rail across every row.
  • Options
    Could understand concern if anyone was advocating going back to terraces with ad hoc crash barriers held down with rusty bolts, but safe standing is what it says, surging cannot happen under the new design.
  • Options

Could understand concern if anyone was advocating going back to terraces with ad hoc crash barriers held down with rusty bolts, but safe standing is what it says, surging cannot happen under the new design.

This exactly.

It's a deep shame cos Hillsborough really got to me and I've always been the biggest defender of Liverpool fans and the Hillsborough families and was delighted with the recent news that came out exposing the lies that most informed people knew existed.

However I can not understand their stance on this repetitive issue. It's makes me think they are being thick or deliberately awkward.

As it stands (booom) the current situation of thousands standing up and down the Country in seated areas is far more dangerous than what is being proposed.
  • Options
    As one of the older Charlton supporters, I don't have a strong view on this matter. However, I will always sit in the stands and would hope that others in the same area stay seated, rather than standing up at key moments. There seems no logic to occasional standing; stay seated, you can still see and gain absolutely nothing by standing.....just saying.
  • Options
    Introduce rail seating in the lower divisions and let it work its way up as it gains more supporters. Give police the power to tell stadiums to lock the seats down if they have safety fears.

To be honest though it will cost a lot of money to implement safe standing, could be better spent elsewhere given how minor the benefit will be to those who want the freedom to stand.