Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Charlton vs Donny | Post Match Views

Comments

• Thought Stewart had his best game for us last night, playing for an extension to his loan?

Let's hope Cousins and Stephens stay injury free as they are turning into a great partnership in midfield.

Why does Kermit always come back from injury looking as though he has put on another stone?
  • Essex_Al said:

Why does Kermit always come back from injury looking as though he has put on another stone?

I think it's because he's put on another stone.
  • That win was needed badly. Played them of the park. Some of the football was mesmerizing. At last we were having shots. My main pain this season we are not having enough shots. You don't shoot you do not score.

Missed the first 25mins because of transport problems.

I said it after Birmingham. When we need to win this team won't let you down. (Except from in a derby match)

• Still found it incredible reading his name mentioned on the "worst ever strikers" thread.

maybe its because he should have had 4 and on another day we'd have lost due to him not scoring early doors.

I'm not dissing him, but as a striker you can't miss gilt-edged chances like he had.

However - overall a good performance and pleased that CP has read my comments on here & started with Stewart on the right. Stephens also had a good game & with Cousins we are starting to look like we have a decent midfield. Alnwick is already a favourite with Golfie jnr and the rest of the back 4 were solid too. Felt Kermy was a bit off the pace, but maybe 6-8 weeks out has that effect on him.

If CP had read your comments on here then he would have jacked months ago!

• Is it wrong that I got up extra early and decorated the front room with Charlton shirts and scarves?

No it isn't , brainwash them in to becoming Addicks , that's your job
  • I thought Kermogant while quiet for him still showed the touches and class we've been missing. Some of the balls he was playing were sublime, flick ons that actually went into space, and deft touches to make the pass Sordell wouldn't have had the vision to make. Kermo laid on the ball that led to the cross that led to first goal I'm sure.

Church may have missed a few sitters but what I love about him is that his head doesn't drop. Even if we don't believe he can finish he never seems to doubt his own ability and that to me is his biggest quality even above his running.

Stewart was a revelation - best I've seen him by far. Playing for a loan extension/perm deal maybe?

Stephens class as mentioned elsewhere but I thought Cousins and Jacko were class also. JJ kept running to the end and looks like his fitness levels are approaching their (admittedly limited) peak and Jordan just seems to mature a little bit every game.

Morro, Dervite and Alnwick had little to do but did it well and I thought Wilson and Wiggins had good games too.

Yes Donny were one of the feeblest teams I've seen at the Valley for some time but at the same time I think we made them look bad too. Was last night the best performance of the season? Got to be up there.

• Off_it said:

Good win.

Powell out, he hasn't got a clue and we're going down.

Don't start.

• The guy at the back of the north lower (Block D) should feel very embarrassed tonight. Non stop abuse for Stewart all game, when he was argubly the best player on the pitch. At one point he told him to go back to Manchester United! We really do get some strange people at The Valley. Although it was funny to see his Dad tell him off even though he must have been in his late 20s early 30s.

Anyway, great win for the lads tonight and was glad to see Church get on the scoresheet.

perhaps some racism there
    i think cameron has been a breath of fresh air as he takes people on and is very direct. sure he loses it sometimes but he gets their defence on the back foot.

dodgy barnet though. looks like 50s throwback Mark Lamarr
  • Who would have gone in goal if Alnwick had got injured or got sent off?
  • Good performance and result. Key factors for me was 2 up front, a balanced midfield (Jackson Left and Stewart playing right at last). Also No Bradley Pritchard.
    Dale Stephens and Jordan Cousins were great, just need Solly back for Wilson and maybe Wood for Devite and add a extra quality striker and we should make mid table finish
    Only worry is just how poor are Doncaster ?
  • Sponsored links:

• Yes, good win , three pts. But never mind all that. Surely the burning question is what potential new owners were in attendance? Was everyone watching the game instead of training their binoculars on the directors box? Hopeless...
  • I can honestly say that's the best Charlton performance I have seen this year... ;-)
  • seth plum said:

Posting before reading.
    We still have to play them away this season, so despite being better than them it could even itself out.
    However, we had a lot of chances today, a lot fell to Simon Church, their keeper pulled off a wonder save, we hit woodwork, and were generally on top throughout except for a spell just before Dale scored a beauty.
    Church needed that goal, but you have to admire his non-stop effort, mind you he was burdened by having to chase a hell of a lot of long balls today, and a relatively quiet Yann was not particularly supportive.
    Stewart saw a lot of the ball, especially in the second half, but he seemed to do his tricks when opponents were yards away from him, he plays lip service to the concept of challenging for the ball. Hmmmn.
    Thought Jacko and Jordan played very well, in fact most of the players put in a shift despite the sparse crowd, and for Alnwick a clean sheet would have done him some good, especially as it was a surprise appearance for him, one good save too, but rarely troubled.
    Massive respect to the Doncaster Rovers fans who made it, but it was a needed clean sheet and three juicy points.

This.

It made a cold Tuesday night, low attendance match seem a whole lot better after that performance.
    Thought the ars***les who booed Sordell when he came on need throwing in a hole and concreting over. He's not my favourite player and I don't rate him at all to be honest but it was uncalled for.

That said, there was even some remonstrating from the usual 'Managers' who sit around me even though we were 2-0 up! FFS!!
    Please hand your ticket in at reception and go forth and multiply you oxygen theives............
  • seth plum said:

Posting before reading.
    We still have to play them away this season, so despite being better than them it could even itself out.
    However, we had a lot of chances today, a lot fell to Simon Church, their keeper pulled off a wonder save, we hit woodwork, and were generally on top throughout except for a spell just before Dale scored a beauty.
    Church needed that goal, but you have to admire his non-stop effort, mind you he was burdened by having to chase a hell of a lot of long balls today, and a relatively quiet Yann was not particularly supportive.
    Stewart saw a lot of the ball, especially in the second half, but he seemed to do his tricks when opponents were yards away from him, he plays lip service to the concept of challenging for the ball. Hmmmn.
    Thought Jacko and Jordan played very well, in fact most of the players put in a shift despite the sparse crowd, and for Alnwick a clean sheet would have done him some good, especially as it was a surprise appearance for him, one good save too, but rarely troubled.
    Massive respect to the Doncaster Rovers fans who made it, but it was a needed clean sheet and three juicy points.

This.

It made a cold Tuesday night, low attendance match seem a whole lot better after that performance.
    Thought the ars***les who booed Sordell when he came on need throwing in a hole and concreting over. He's not my favourite player and I don't rate him at all to be honest but it was uncalled for.

That said, there was even some remonstrating from the usual 'Managers' who sit around me even though we were 2-0 up! FFS!!
    Please hand your ticket in at reception and go forth and multiply you oxygen theives............
    I'd rather those people didn't go forth and multiply if you catch my drift.

• seth plum said:

Posting before reading.

This.

I'd rather those people didn't go forth and multiply if you catch my drift.

Haha!! Yes......point taken
  • Only frustrating point for me was so familiar 'get to 70-75 mins then gradually sit back and become more cautious, inviting pressure on approach'.

Doncaster just weren't at the races and we should have been a lot more than 2 ahead, yet against a better team we could easily have thrown that two goal lead in the last 15 as we seem to invite it.

Am i being harsh ?
  • Some idiot in a high pitched voice a couple of rows behind me came out with a ridiculous statement after Church missed that sitter:

"If we hadn't have been 2-0 up then that could have cost us!"

Well we was, so shut your mouth you moany git.
  • So church took one of his 5 chances, something players like Andy Cole done for years and I don't remember him being labelled anything other than a goalscorer.

Keep creating him chances and he will score goals.

Spot on. Funny you mentioned Andy Cole actually, 'cos he's always the first player I think of when talking about strikers who score a fair few but miss a hat-full too.
  • So church took one of his 5 chances, something players like Andy Cole done for years and I don't remember him being labelled anything other than a goalscorer.

Spot on. Funny you mentioned Andy Cole actually, 'cos he's always the first player I think of when talking about strikers who score a fair few but miss a hat-full too.
    BWP falls into that category too shurely?

BWP falls into that category too shurely?

Yeah I suppose he's guilty of it too. But perhaps I love BWP so much for the promotion season I'm just blinkered in my assessment!
  • Sponsored links:

• BWP yes. Even in league 1 he missed too many. I thought he had a lot more creativity to his game than he was given credit for.
  • Enjoyed the rare pleasure of watching Charlton play without any of the usual anxiety even when we are winning. The most one-sided victory I have seen for quite a while.

Passing was good in parts but sometimes we are too ready to simply play a long ball for Church to chase (seems to have taken over from the hoof for Yann to head on). We are much, much better when we pass it to each other and I just wish they would do it more often.

I think I might be alone in quite liking Sordell. He is certainly not the ever-running workhorse that Church is, but when it is played to his feet he shows good skill. Given a run of games and a bit of confidence I think he could surprise quite a few.
  • Van Persie 6.1 shots per goal
    Aguero 6.4 shots per goal
    Rooney 7.1 shots per goal

Church must be around the same figure?
  • Keep in mind that the likes of Aguero, Rooney and Van Persie have the ability to shoot from range and can hit the target from there too.

They also take half those shots when they are winning so will be a bit more adventurous in their efforts.
  • BWP would have buried one of the sitters last night but would have been absolutely nailed on to fluff the one on one.
  • Listened to this on SportsXtra .. it seems the penny has at last dropped .. when we attack we are a more effective team. I suspect that the return of Kermorgant, even not at his best, made a big difference.
    Nice to hear that Jackson took some retribution on Wellens for a bad 'tackle' on Stephens .. Wellens is an effective player as well as a dirty one.
    Stewart came good, Stephens scores another beauty .. from what I heard we were all over Doncaster, albeit that Donny are struggling and have lost their main money man. This should auger well for the rest of the season.
  • Only frustrating point for me was so familiar 'get to 70-75 mins then gradually sit back and become more cautious, inviting pressure on approach'.

Doncaster just weren't at the races and we should have been a lot more than 2 ahead, yet against a better team we could easily have thrown that two goal lead in the last 15 as we seem to invite it.

Am i being harsh ?

No you're not being harsh (you did say it was the ONLY frustrating point for you..). Harriott could have come on for Jackson with 15 to go, to really stretch Donny but the league position meant Powell stayed cautious. Perfectly understandable but a shame in a way because it could have done Harriott's confidence a bit of good to have a decent cameo.
  • http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xyWM221he2M - highlights for those who want to watch :-)
  • Simonsen said:

Only frustrating point for me was so familiar 'get to 70-75 mins then gradually sit back and become more cautious, inviting pressure on approach'.

Am i being harsh ?

No you're not being harsh (you did say it was the ONLY frustrating point for you..). Harriott could have come on for Jackson with 15 to go, to really stretch Donny but the league position meant Powell stayed cautious. Perfectly understandable but a shame in a way because it could have done Harriott's confidence a bit of good to have a decent cameo.
    I think it would have been worse had we not got the second. But overall it was a good performance so hard to be critical. Yes, we should have scored at least a couple more, but we looked dangerous and created quite a few chances and that is a positive.
  • That touch by Church when he missed in the first minute was class... Almost like how Shane Long brought it down on Monday night - Trouble is as people have said before, if Church scored every chance he took... He wouldnt be with us.

Have to admit the post comments from Dickov were fair I thought, moaned a bit after the abandonment (we'd have done the same) but gave us the credit that we deserved to win last night no doubt.