Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Charlton vs Donny | Post Match Views

Comments

• Options
    Great goal and performance by Dale. The rest were average but luckily Donny were abysmal. Church should have scored 5 without breaking sweat on another day those masses would be costly. If this takeover happens I look forward to the day we see a realstriker in our team with Kermy.
  • Options
    For me that was the most comfortable 3 points we've got thus far at the Valley this season , thought we bossed it, got a feeling Ipswich will be a lot tougher on Saturday , well played lads.
  • Options
    Comfortable win, would have been nice to have scored a few more, valuable 3 points so pleased about that.

Doncaster were poor, we passed it about nicely, good team performance. Church should have got a hat-trick.
  • Options
    Posting without reading.

Mission accomplished!

We had the chances to have scored 5 or 6 and early in the game I did fear our profligacy would cost us 2 points or more.

Credit to the sparse (perhaps because of Network Rail or whatever they're called now) crowd for not getting on Church's back when he missed yet another easy chance.

Church reminds me of a cross between Garry Nelson and Kim Grant in that his work rate cannot be questioned and he plays his part in the build up. His finishing however is distinctly erratic although he dispatched his one on one opportunity clinically enough to make it 2-0 which was much needed to give us a bit of comfort. Who played that lovely ball to give him the chance I wasn't sure?

Stephens opened the scoring with a candidate for goal of the season which settled the nerves a little. He passed the ball well although went "walkabout" in the second half a bit around the time Macheda nearly scored for them.

Cameron Stewart looked effective and rattled the cross bar with a dipping shot which beat Turnbull in the second half.

Invidious to pick out individuals though as it was a determined team performance which did the job. We gave the ball away a bit too freely at times which Ipswich might well punish if we do it on Saturday.

Overall though a good nights work.

COYR
  • Options
    Pat on the back to whoever chose the playlist - Why Does it Always Rain on Me as we were leaving cracked me up :)
  • Options
    edited November 2013

Still found it incredible reading his name mentioned on the "worst ever strikers" thread.

maybe its because he should have had 4 and on another day we'd have lost due to him not scoring early doors.

I'm not dissing him, but as a striker you can't miss gilt-edged chances like he had.

However - overall a good performance and pleased that CP has read my comments on here & started with Stewart on the right. Stephens also had a good game & with Cousins we are starting to look like we have a decent midfield. Alnwick is already a favourite with Golfie jnr and the rest of the back 4 were solid too. Felt Kermy was a bit off the pace, but maybe 6-8 weeks out has that effect on him.

"Worst ever strikers". Worst EVER. I mean really.
  • Options
    Church misses sitters but seeing him score a 1 on 1 is something I never remember seeing BWP doing.
  • Options
    I love charlton. Pure calamity at times (church's effort where he fell over himself, Wilson all game) and then Absolutely brilliant moments (Stephens' finish, church's composure, some of them cross field balls from cousins)

Bring back solly for the permed shoulders, a real striker to sit alongside kermy and continue to play Stewart on the rw and maybe drop jj for harriott and we are literally sailing into the top half/play offs.

Stephens and cousins are the best cm pairing since Parker/Jensen in my view, long may it continue!

I love winning!!!
  • Options
    Good and much needed win, we could've scored 4or 5 tonight. Stephens and Cousins bossed the midfield, Stewart looked good on the right. Donny weren't up to much but 6 clear of the drop- job done tonight
  • Options
    Agree about Stephens and Cousins, they are a great combination and I love the fact that Dale is now so much more committed. Goal of the seasons so far, I went to the pub in Lewisham after the game and barman was telling me what a great goal as Sky had shown it after the Champions League highlights. I thought Donny passed quite well but lacked finishing ( a bit like we are sometimes without the passing well) but they only had one or two shots on target as far as I can recall. We really should have scored more. Anyway, I'm happy with the result. I hope Donny stay up as I think they are trying to play positively. There was a period around 30 mins into the first half where they were a bit dangerous, but generally I thought we defended well. Pleased with Alnwick, first I've seen of him, apart from one dodgy kick he did well. Clean sheet, can't ask more.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Good win.

Powell out, he hasn't got a clue and we're going down.
  • Options
    Thought we controlled the game throughout but was worried the early misses could cost us dear. Cousins looks like he has been a first team regular for years not months, such maturity. I fear he won't be with us long at this rate. Stephens was immense again and has finally added consistency to his game. Again, he may not be around much longer. Stewart showed that he is a right winger and had a very good game. Back four solid and not really troubled. Wilson looks better having had his hair cut, doesn't look like a nancy boy now. Church run his nuts off, scored a well taken goal, could have had at least one other, pleased for him. Kermy looked well off the pace and a few games at least off full fitness. Good performance, good win but needs to be taken into context that Donny looked very poor on the day. Three points against the Tractor Boys and an American take over and things will look rosier.
  • Options
    Good and important win.needed a confident performance last night and we got it.I thought cousins was absolute class last night.looks so composed on the ball and he just does the easy things easy.Stephens and Jacko played well and cracking goal from Stephens.Morrison and Dervitte did there jobs and both had an easy night as Doncaster up front were terrible.Wiggins back to the Wiggins we all know.Wilson few good runs and unlucky not to score.thought Stewart had a great game and unlucky not to score also.hope we keep him.better be careful here because the church fan club are about.I've been critical of church on recent posts in recent games about he's goalscoring and that hasn't change.should of at least 4 goals last night and the one he did score he tried he's best to miss.can't fault he's workrate thou and thought he looked ok last night.hope that goal gives him a bit more confidence to prove me wrong.kermorgant didn't look up for it but what a difference he makes to the team.overall great performance and hopeful of another 3 points Saturday.
  • Options
    Priceless game time for yann.

He should improve by saturday and start to become the main man in our attack again.I feel with a fit Kermorgant we will survive comfortabley.
  • Options
    So church took one of his 5 chances, something players like Andy Cole done for years and I don't remember him being labelled anything other than a goalscorer.

Keep creating him chances and he will score goals.
  • Options
    Andy Cole and Simon Church compared in the same sentence LMFAO
  • Options
    Well done lads. Routine win just what the doctor ordered. Always going to happen after the farce in August.
  • Options
    Hopefully it won't be the case & we'll have pulled well away by May, but Imagine the uproar on Donny if they go down by 1 or 2 points and we finished just above them?

God will have a hell of alot to answer for..................
  • Options
    edited November 2013
    Big Big win. Thought it was going to be one of those nights when Yann and JJ missed in the first half. Great ball from JJ to play in Church for his goal.
  • Options
    Thought Dale Stephens was outstanding, bossed the midfield & scored an absolute worldy
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

Big Big win. Thought it was going to be one of those nights when Yann and JJ missed in the first half. Great ball from JJ to play in Church for his goal.

From fear to cheer. Such an important win, I loved the team spirit, commitment and thought they enjoyed the game. Stephens my MOM but Church was tireless. Stewart is exciting to watch, and I hope we can get to keep him. A very happy evening.
  • Options

I thought Jackson did well on the left and what a ball for the second goal?! Obviously some games will show up his lack of pace in a wide position but this wasn't one of them. We won't win more comfortably all year. Doncaster played nice football without looking remotely like they were going to score. Kermorgant nearly back to fitness. Wiggins at his marauding best. Stewart worked hard and was dangerous on the right. Cousins, centre backs and keeper solid. Stephens good passing and great finish for his goal. My mom was Church though, despite missing a couple of sitters. He caused them problems the whole time he was on the pitch.

Thanks for that, crookester.

Saved me from posting !

Onwards & upwards !

Happy to be of assistance haha :) Good performance made the trek from North Greenwich worthwhile.
  • Options
    That win looked really easy - I can't remember the last time that statement applied to a home victory at the Valley!
  • Options
    Well played Charlton. Listened on Radio 5 and sounded like we weren't really troubled. Makes up for weeks of stick from family and friends.
    Is it wrong that I got up extra early and decorated the front room with Charlton shirts and scarves?
  • Options
    Good performance but we should have been 2/3 up before we finally scored a cracker. Church will have nightmares over the miss near the end, of all things he took his hardest chance....hands up how many people thought that was going to go wide....Stewarts shot that hit the bar deserved better.

Best player on the pitch was their no 7 duffy, he was all over the pitch probing and trying to make things happen.

Unlike some here i thought they had a couple of decent chances but tried to score from almost silly angles when others were better placed...reminds me of us sometimes.

Ipswich will be a sterner test and hopefully we can carry this on.
  • Options
    This was a much deserved win and the whole team played well. I'm not sure Donny's system was especially clever and in the 2nd half they really allowed Stewart far too much space. Our back four were excellent and clearly the return of Kermorgant made a huge difference to everyone, not least Church.

But we got bits of luck when it mattered; Kermorgant clearly came back from an offside position to win the initial header in the build up to Stephens' goal (hence the prolonged moan by the Donny bench).

PS: In an odd way, I wonder if the lack of crowd actually helped the players relax a bit. They certainly played with a freedom that has seldom been evident this season at home.

• Options
    Same old Charlton, taking the pi**!! Well done last night but like others have written before, Donny were pretty much the poorest side seen down the Valley for some time and made us look a whole lot better than we were. But we got the job done which is all I ask of the team every time they play. Ipswich is very winnable on Saturday, but we need to stop giving the ball away so cheaply and convert more of our chances, of which we will have less I am sure. All very obvious really!
  • Options
    edited November 2013

Andy Cole and Simon Church compared in the same sentence LMFAO

it wasn't a straight comparison. stop being an egg.

My Point was that players like Andy Cole (he's an example, not a comparison) had plenty of chances created for them, and not all of his opportunities were turned into goals.

Lets give Church time now we are starting to make opportunities for him instead of him running around on his own for 90 mins.
  • Options
    LenGlover said:

Posting without reading.

Mission accomplished!

We had the chances to have scored 5 or 6 and early in the game I did fear our profligacy would cost us 2 points or more.

Credit to the sparse (perhaps because of Network Rail or whatever they're called now) crowd for not getting on Church's back when he missed yet another easy chance.

Church reminds me of a cross between Garry Nelson and Kim Grant in that his work rate cannot be questioned and he plays his part in the build up. His finishing however is distinctly erratic although he dispatched his one on one opportunity clinically enough to make it 2-0 which was much needed to give us a bit of comfort. Who played that lovely ball to give him the chance I wasn't sure?

Stephens opened the scoring with a candidate for goal of the season which settled the nerves a little. He passed the ball well although went "walkabout" in the second half a bit around the time Macheda nearly scored for them.

Cameron Stewart looked effective and rattled the cross bar with a dipping shot which beat Turnbull in the second half.

Invidious to pick out individuals though as it was a determined team performance which did the job. We gave the ball away a bit too freely at times which Ipswich might well punish if we do it on Saturday.

Overall though a good nights work.

COYR

I said exactly the same last night about Church / Nelson.