Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Scottish Independence.

Comments

• I always wondered why the Government didn't reverse the choice and make a 'Yes' vote a 'yes' to stay as part of the UK and 'No' a vote for Scotland to leave. Any expert psychologists out there?
  • Wasn't the actual question 'Should Scotland be an independent country? '
  • What does it matter? They will get what Salmond has always wanted. Devo-max (independance in all but name) with the Bank of England as security.
  • Yes vote majority 5.1 on betfair, compared with 1.23 for the no vote.
  • George Galloway is as mad as a box of frogs but at least he is speaking passionately tonight.
  • It's nice to actually be agreeing with what Galloway says.
  • Nigel Farage was making sense this morning when he pointed out that you cannot claim independence if you are a part of the European Union. Have you all bought your powerful Vacuum Cleaners yet ?
  • The PRP of Falconwood would like independence from the SE9 postcode.
  • Granpa said:

Nigel Farage was making sense this morning when he pointed out that you cannot claim independence if you are a part of the European Union. Have you all bought your powerful Vacuum Cleaners yet ?

That really doesn't make any sense at all.
  • Sponsored links:

• I always wondered why the Government didn't reverse the choice and make a 'Yes' vote a 'yes' to stay as part of the UK and 'No' a vote for Scotland to leave. Any expert psychologists out there?

Didn't the SNP get to decide how the question was worded?
  • If I were a canny Scot, I think I'd be telling the pollsters yes, to see what concessions can be dragged out of the Tories, regardless of how I would actually vote. I still think they will vote no.
  • se9addickMember

It will when you try to buy a powerful Kettle ! ( Now I have really confused you ) The European Union is banning the purchase of powerful electrical equipment in the future, in other words taking away your independence of choice.
  • Granpa said:

se9addickMember

It will when you try to buy a powerful Kettle ! ( Now I have really confused you ) The European Union is banning the purchase of powerful electrical equipment in the future, in other words taking away your independence of choice.

Independence of choice ? What's that ?

• Granpa said:

se9addickMember

http://blogs.ec.europa.eu/ECintheUK/tidying-up-the-facts-on-eu-vacuum-cleaner-rules/
  • Granpa said:

se9addickMember

Thats one eu law that doesn't matter. Womens gagets.
  • Where do you find a woman's gaget ? What is it and have I been missing something vital all my life?

• Latest poll says 51% no 49% yes.
  • The polls are narrowing, quelle bonne surprise!
  • redcarter said:

Granpa said:

se9addickMember

http://blogs.ec.europa.eu/ECintheUK/tidying-up-the-facts-on-eu-vacuum-cleaner-rules/
    "The ban is on cleaners that use too much energy and/or are not energy efficient" - sounds fair enough
  • Sponsored links:

• Where do you find a woman's gaget ? What is it and have I been missing something vital all my life?

not the ones you are thinking of.

Vacuum Cleaners and other kitchen stuff.
  • edited September 2014
    The most recent YouGov polls had under 25's moving from a 20 point yes lead to a 6 point no lead in less than a week. What nonsense.

This latest ICM poll has 17% don't know compared to YouGov's 4 or 6%, can't remember.
  • Granpa said:

Nigel Farage was making sense this morning when he pointed out that you cannot claim independence if you are a part of the European Union. Have you all bought your powerful Vacuum Cleaners yet ?

"Independence" is surely the wrong word to be using in the case of Scotland. It is a word loaded with connotations of freedom won from an occupying force. Britain gave independence to countries it had colonised in the days of the Empire; America won independence from its British overlords and so on. What would happen to the UK if the Scots vote yes is more of a separation or a "conscious uncoupling", to borrow Gwyneth Paltrow's phrase. Calling it "independence" simply gives strength to those who want to perpetuate the ridiculous image of the Scots as victims of English oppression.
  • Granpa said:

"Independence" is surely the wrong word to be using in the case of Scotland. It is a word loaded with connotations of freedom won from an occupying force. Britain gave independence to countries it had colonised in the days of the Empire; America won independence from its British overlords and so on. What would happen to the UK if the Scots vote yes is more of a separation or a "conscious uncoupling", to borrow Gwyneth Paltrow's phrase. Calling it "independence" simply gives strength to those who want to perpetuate the ridiculous image of the Scots as victims of English oppression.
    But isn't that mainly because the whole things been so amicable ? Scotland will be gaining as much independence as the nations in your analogy just without the need for some sort of rebellion movement. This independence movement is ironically British and I think that's a credit to both sides.
  • I think the polls will fluctuate and only the final result will be accurate. Complete truism I know but the build up is fascinating.
    The idea that the PRA would allow a bank the size of RBS to "move the plaque" to the City of London but somehow allow the key functions to remain on foreign soil is laughable.
    I think that yes majority poll has succeeded in galvanising the no campaign and no vote.
    And I expect a whole series of announcements via the markets etc. particularly in the final days.
    Salmond complains about team Westminster, the banks, Tests... Who next?
    Starting to sound like the SNP vs everyone and that's bound to win votes!
    Salmond wants a divorce but he wants to keep a joint bank account and credit cards - no thanks!
  • se9addick said:

Granpa said:

But isn't that mainly because the whole things been so amicable ? Scotland will be gaining as much independence as the nations in your analogy just without the need for some sort of rebellion movement. This independence movement is ironically British and I think that's a credit to both sides.
    It's the connotation which I find troubling. Scotland may be on the way to becoming a separate nation again. To say it is gaining independence implies that it has been in thrall to an occupying power, when it has actually been a partner in a union. I know it's not an exact analogy but if we were to leave the European Union I doubt very much that we would say that we were becoming independent; we would simply be withdrawing from the partnership. And so is Scotland (well, may be). There is a view north of the border, summarised in Trainspotting, along the lines of 'the English are just wankers but we are colonised by those wankers' (I know from working in Glasgow how anti-English sentiments in Braveheart and other films resonate with some Scots) and allowing them to declare independence gives them a fake romantic, freedom fighting aura, as if they were the nouveaux sans culottes, which neither they nor the rest of the UK, but particularly the English, deserve.
  • They're actually seeking to gain independance from the British.
  • just been given a job to do in Scotland on the Thursday and Friday of next week, going out in Glasgow Thursday night should be quite enjoyable, to be there when the decision is made is always quite an attraction to the job, looking forward to it

• se9addick said:

Granpa said:

It's the connotation which I find troubling. Scotland may be on the way to becoming a separate nation again. To say it is gaining independence implies that it has been in thrall to an occupying power, when it has actually been a partner in a union. I know it's not an exact analogy but if we were to leave the European Union I doubt very much that we would say that we were becoming independent; we would simply be withdrawing from the partnership. And so is Scotland (well, may be). There is a view north of the border, summarised in Trainspotting, along the lines of 'the English are just wankers but we are colonised by those wankers' (I know from working in Glasgow how anti-English sentiments in Braveheart and other films resonate with some Scots) and allowing them to declare independence gives them a fake romantic, freedom fighting aura, as if they were the nouveaux sans culottes, which neither they nor the rest of the UK, but particularly the English, deserve.
    I disagree, in the correct usage of the word Scotland would literally be gaining independence. Whether that independence lives up to the connotations you've chosen to attribute to the word isn't really possible to define.

Independence is the outcome rather than the process that gets you there.