Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Scottish Independence.

If Scotland get their Independence,will we need a Passport or Visa to go to Scotland?

Comments

• Options
    Freedom of movement is currently assured anywhere between Great Britain, Ireland, the Isle of Man and the Channel Islands - or the Common Travel Area as it is known.

Passports are occasionally required for air travel, but when crossing a border by land they're not needed. Better Together argue that there is no guarantee that will continue with an independent Scotland.

But imposing any restrictions would be a massive undertaking and contradict the current arrangement in Ireland where people are free to drive between Northern Ireland and the Republic without restrictions.

Neither the UK nor the Republic of Ireland are part of the Schengen Agreement - which allows passport-free travel between many other EU countries. Laurie Price, a travel expert with consultancy Mott Macdonald says that if an independent Scotland was forced to join Schengen when re-applying for EU membership, complications could arise.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/magazine-25035427
  • Options
    Derek1952 said:

If Scotland get their Independence,will we need a Passport or Visa to go to Scotland?

Once the wall is rebuilt it won't matter much. We will also be £19 billion better off per year so free holidays in the Caribbean for all.
  • Options
    If it affects the English why don't we get a vote . I will certainly help out those Scots who want independence .
  • Options
    There is so much to unravel, the two nations are so intertwined that even if there is a 'yes' vote next autumn, it will take years to sort out the pros and cons. Everything from nuclear weapons to road tax will need to be discussed. Whatever the outcome, I bet that England, rather the English taxpayer, will come out of this badly. Shame that Northern Ireland doesn't want 'freedom' from England. The subsidies paid to this damp outpost are huge.
  • Options
    Not going the happen. Sheep don't vote for Burns night.
  • Options
    Lots of casual racism about the skirt wearing, smelly, tight fisted, sweaty, haggis eating Jocks on here lads. Leave it out please, there really is no need for it.
  • Options

Lots of casual racism about the skirt wearing, smelly, tight fisted, sweaty, haggis eating Jocks on here lads. Leave it out please, there really is no need for it.

very good
  • Options

and they speak of us with high regard I suppose?
  • Options

Banter
  • Options

and they speak of us with high regard I suppose?
    Read what Brendan_o_Connell said again Home&Away.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    More wisdom from "Trainspotting":

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wqgkZDbe4Xk

• Options
    If E, W and NI benefit from this independence then I'm all for it.
  • Options
    At least 65% will reject. Everyone knows that.
  • Options
    edited November 2013
    The thing is they cant lose, if it all goes swimmingly they'll sit their side of the boarder giving us the finger and if it goes tits up, all they need to do is relocate down south.
  • Options
    Riviera said:

Depends on the turnout. Most people may want to reject, but they might not be bothered to go out and vote. Whereas the voters for independence will be a lot more likely to vote.
  • Options

Riviera said:

Depends on the turnout. Most people may want to reject, but they might not be bothered to go out and vote. Whereas the voters for independence will be a lot more likely to vote.
    As a person who's against independence this is what worries me.

I believe that one day there could be a case for independence but I don't believe it exists today, and if it does then the SNP certainly haven't articulated it effectively.
  • Options
    with the yes to independance being lead alex SALMON and nicola STURGON it sounds fishy to me
  • Options
    Give it a couple of years tops and there will be adverts with wee Jimmy without clean water to drink and will you donate £3 a month.
  • Options
    edited November 2013
    I am currently in a part of Scotland that is wholly dependent on the naval base. In fact out and about I would say every 5th or 6th person I speak to is non Jock, either navy,ex navy, related to navy or retired after. It would be absolute suicide for them here and the Jocks readily admit it. However this is not the case elsewhere in the country and although Jock baiting has been a casual pass time most of my life, I have never taken them for being stupid. It is going to be closer than most expect, the Jocks have just as healthy a disregard of politicians as anyone else on this island, so the more the fishy twins are seen strutting their stuff the better IMHO. Better together.
  • Options
    Hopefully sense will prevail and we can say farewell to Mr Salmond and the intensely irritating Nicole Sturgeon. Better together.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    If it stops the Scots standing for our parliament I would be in favour.
  • Options
    The arguments for and against are complex - I hope that both sides can put their cases in a way that can be understood by the voters and they make the right decision. There are many things that I'm not clear on, like would Scotland have to re-apply for EU membership and would they even want to? What would be the consequences of us being in the EU and Scotland not (or vice versa)? They want to keep the pound - how would that work? Etc.
  • Options

Riviera said:

You are right - those that care will vote for and those that are ambivalent won't bother. Hopefully they win their long sought independence.
  • Options
    Saga Lout said:

The arguments for and against are complex - I hope that both sides can put their cases in a way that can be understood by the voters and they make the right decision. There are many things that I'm not clear on, like would Scotland have to re-apply for EU membership and would they even want to? What would be the consequences of us being in the EU and Scotland not (or vice versa)? They want to keep the pound - how would that work? Etc.

Scotland will not be independent if they want to further integrate to the EU. Alex Salmond is keeping very quiet about the EU relationship and I would not be surprised if they will end up joining the Euro.

Scotland's independence will be good for the rest of the UK students who want to go to University. The Scottish parliament forced a law only in Scotland where students that live in Scotland or outside of Britain can go to Edinburough university for free. Our own parliament forced a law where we have to pay £9000 and that's including a place at Edinburgh. If Scotland leave the UK that will be a real opportunity for British students to get a place in Edinburgh University for free which means places for Scottish students will be limited.

• Options
    They'll never vote for independence. Not enough of them are that stupid. They'll mobilise the no vote well enough if it looks like the Muppet show are tapping into the ingrained xenophobia of the odd jock knuckledragger.
  • Options
    edited November 2013
    Derek1952 said:

No. You only need one in Europe because the English, sorry British, government insist that you need one to get back in, (at the very reasonable cost of £71.25). So you won't need one to get into Scotland, just to get into England. But if you never leave England you won't need one. Simple.
  • Options
    edited November 2013
    The Labour party will be campaigning hard for a no vote as they will not be able to win enough seats in Westminster without the scotish seats, especially if the Tories win a majority at the next election and bring in the boundry changes they want, which the Liberals stopped this time around.
  • Options
    Salmond wants to keep the £, keep the Queen and stay in the EU. Doesn't sound very independant to me.
  • Options
    I recall Salmond talking about "An independent Scotland within the EU" for years. Which I take to mean a Scotland propped up by money from Brussels instead of money from London. My understanding is that the EU are not particularly keen to fast track a newly independent Scotland into the organisation.