Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Scottish Independence.

Comments

• Options
    cabbles said:

vff said:

From a purely selfish point of view, I want a no vote. Without the balance of the Scots, there is a strong risk that this country will end up in the hands of free market right wing conservatives who look like they will dismantle the NHS and any kind of a safety net. England will become a brutal place to live. Some may think thats a good idea, but not me.

I'm not sure why this got flagged? I don't necessarily agree that if Scotland voted to leave, the balance of this country would be in jeopardy. However, I strongly believe this country is set up in such a way that the concentration of wealth will continue to placed in the hands of the few. I'm yet to read Owen Jones 'The Establishment' but he points out that there are now over 1m relying on food banks in this country, compared to something like 200,000 a few years ago. I am sure all public services, even the NHS may only have a limited time if we continue in the direction we are heading. I'm not against people making money and doing well for themselves, God knows I try every day. Obviously I've gone off thread here a bit, but I think VFF may have a point, albeit slightly generalised with a sweeping statement.
    From what I've read not only is Owen Jones' book full of inaccuracies and misrepresentations of reality (much like his contributions on TV and in newspapers) but that the conclusion is 'The Establishment' is basically everyone who disagrees with him. Yes, people with the power will continue to accumulate wealth but that has nothing to do with free market economics, it is to do with those with all the money greasing the right palms of those in power to ensure that they stay rich, and this seems to happen no matter what colour the government of the day is.
  • Options

vff said:

From a purely selfish point of view, I want a no vote. Without the balance of the Scots, there is a strong risk that this country will end up in the hands of free market right wing conservatives who look like they will dismantle the NHS and any kind of a safety net. England will become a brutal place to live. Some may think thats a good idea, but not me.

4 years of a conservative PM and NHS spending is still ring fenced. Can we admit that the Tories wanting rid of the NHS is simple scare mongering from the left?

Salmond may well have peaked too soon. Regardless, the next week will be very interesting.
    May I humbly suggest that the Tory lib dems ring fencing of NHS spending was political expediency with a view on the 2015 poll.
    Pensions, benefits and the NHS make up a large part of government expenditure and new solutions are needed this century. The can was kicked down the road because they were able to restore economic confidence without headline cuts.
    What happens locally with Lewisham a&e plus shooters hill guru anecdotes is a different story. For Salmond to say that the only way to save the Scottish NHS is independence is supreme irony.
    He doesn't even have a currency let alone a decent macro economic policy to pay bills. And he chooses to ignore the fact that major payers of corporation tax will exit Scotland will exit if the answer is "yes"!
    What politicians like Salmond and Farrage forget is that there is a reason for free movement of labour and capital within the EU. Quite simply if politicians and governments can't run their show properly then companies move to another city in the EU.
    London is growing precisely because this is recognised.

• Options
    Fiiish said:

cabbles said:

vff said:

I'm not sure why this got flagged? I don't necessarily agree that if Scotland voted to leave, the balance of this country would be in jeopardy. However, I strongly believe this country is set up in such a way that the concentration of wealth will continue to placed in the hands of the few. I'm yet to read Owen Jones 'The Establishment' but he points out that there are now over 1m relying on food banks in this country, compared to something like 200,000 a few years ago. I am sure all public services, even the NHS may only have a limited time if we continue in the direction we are heading. I'm not against people making money and doing well for themselves, God knows I try every day. Obviously I've gone off thread here a bit, but I think VFF may have a point, albeit slightly generalised with a sweeping statement.
    From what I've read not only is Owen Jones' book full of inaccuracies and misrepresentations of reality (much like his contributions on TV and in newspapers) but that the conclusion is 'The Establishment' is basically everyone who disagrees with him. Yes, people with the power will continue to accumulate wealth but that has nothing to do with free market economics, it is to do with those with all the money greasing the right palms of those in power to ensure that they stay rich, and this seems to happen no matter what colour the government of the day is.
    The free market is something I am for, but you have hit the nail on the head re: those that grease the palms to stay rich. This is my issue in general. We have no control and are pretty powerless to know what goes on at this level. I am of the opinion that people have to help themselves and if they do well and make money, then fair play. I do however think there is a greater degree of snobbishness that exists in society today and the wealth gap is widening in a bad way. The reason I mention Owen Jones is because, like the focus on the numbers relying on food banks, he's trying to push against the tide and open people's eyes up to a lot of inequality that exists today. That for me can only be a good thing.
  • Options
    edited September 2014
    The increase number of people using ( not necessarily relying on) food banks is a bit of a red herring. It has been shown I significant % of those using food banks do because they can. And a number because of life-style choices. I am not saying there are not a minority who genuine rely on them though.
  • Options
    I don't think you can just rock up at a food bank and fill your bags. You must get a referral from some agency or another confirming you are in urgent need. Hardly a life style choice ?
  • Options
    Not according to a number of investigations. One reporter was filmed going to various food banks one after the other. Run by incredibly well-meaning people who probably aren't aware of how some people operate
  • Options
    Lifestyle choice is a polite way of referring to chosing to spend their 'funds' on things other than essentials such as food and then aren't able to feed their family.
  • Options
    We are getting asked a lot of questions about this issue in S of France but the French seem more interested in why Scottish men wear skirts. They really find it hilarious. But mentioning Braveheart and strong warrior island races seems to quieten them down a bit. The view of the French is that as all politicians are fascist bar stewards it will make no difference who governs who, thus the referendum is an irrelevance. Just get on with life is a common philosophy in the land of wine, pastis fish and sun. it's infectious!
  • Options
    cabbles said:

vff said:

it got flagged cos its ridiculous. "Oh no, people aren't going to vote the way i want them to vote" in general elections. It's called democracy, if labour won't get into power if scotland go into power, they will have to change their policies. It's the way democracy works and how it can evolve through time.

Ever thought that the belt tightening may be because of labour's overspending? No, of course not, don't be ridiculous.

History and the voting public will remember labour as being the party that's been "responsible" in their eyes for 2 big recessions for britain. How long will the left's pointing at thatcher (who left office 23 years ago) for all the country's ills be able to stand up? I feel time is slowly being called on that and Labour will have to adapt their policies.
  • Options

cabbles said:

vff said:

it got flagged cos its ridiculous. "Oh no, people aren't going to vote the way i want them to vote" in general elections. It's called democracy, if labour won't get into power if scotland go into power, they will have to change their policies. It's the way democracy works and how it can evolve through time.

Ever thought that the belt tightening may be because of labour's overspending? No, of course not, don't be ridiculous.

History and the voting public will remember labour as being the party that's been "responsible" in their eyes for 2 big recessions for britain. How long will the left's pointing at thatcher (who left office 23 years ago) for all the country's ills be able to stand up? I feel time is slowly being called on that and Labour will have to adapt their policies.
    I'm not interested in the party politics or who's to blame, Labour or Conservative. As I mentioned vff had made the point using a slightly sweeping statement about right wing conservatives, which isn't true because all Conservatives aren't right wing in the same way all Labour voters aren't left wing radicals. I thought the flag was used to point out offensive posts. For me it wasn't.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    The flag is for Abuse.

It's ridiculous to flag a post just because you disagree with it, Kent Addick.

That's not what it's for.

• Options

My flag for Oggys post is an error. Honest. Meant to hit the quote button.
  • Options
    The snippets from the no campaign sound almost desperate. Its awkward and clumsy.
  • Options
    those nasty tories o dear wouldnt cover up th e rape of 1400 PLUS kids 10,000 times and loose the evidence of their cover up because it dint fit in with their bollox ideology no that would be your fucking scum Labour party
  • Options

those nasty tories o dear wouldnt cover up th e rape of 1400 PLUS kids 10,000 times and loose the evidence of their cover up because it dint fit in with their bollox ideology no that would be your fucking scum Labour party

And your point concerning the independence referendum is......?
  • Options

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-28125537

Swing and a miss. Of course they would.
  • Options
    Nice post. But who pays a grand a year to Vodafone?
  • Options
    MrOneLung said:

Nice post. But who pays a grand a year to Vodafone?

I'm thinking about the sort of money you'd have to earn before tax and wondering about multi-phone households and up-front payments for iphones.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    cafcfan said:

cabbles said:

vff said:

but he points out that there are now over 1m relying on food banks in this country, compared to something like 200,000 a few years ago.
    Well, let's assume that's true for a moment. But what is the real explanation as to why? I don't know but here are some questions:

62% of UK adults now own a smartphone, almost triple that of 2011. Yet more than that percentage would tell you that they are now worse off under the Conservative/LibDem Govt. Perhaps they wouldn't be if they weren't paying a grand a year to Vodaphone for something they don't really need?
    Perhaps people see their mobile 'phone contracts as being more important than their 5-a-day?
    The number of cars and vans available for use by households in England and Wales increased from 23.9 million to 27.3 million between 2001 and 2011. In 2001 there were, on average, 11 cars per 10 households, while in 2011 there were 12.
    In the early 1960s about 60% of households did not have a car; that figure is now down to around 15%. And households are smaller - do people really need a car more than food?

What I'm suggesting here is that people make lifestyle choices and don't necessarily make the right ones or correctly prioritise their purchases.

Now back to the 1mn. First we are talking about VISITS, not PEOPLE. Some of those will be repeats. Of the rest, most are getting 3 days worth of rations while they are waiting for their benefit payment to come through after losing their job. These people are NOT relying on food banks to support their existence throughout the year. So can people really not put aside enough money to buy 3 days' worth of food while they have a job? Or is it better instead to get a new phone, get another tattoo (around 30% of 16-44-year-olds have tattoos) or piercing or chuck some money on a horse or a Sky contract or a packet of ciggies or get your nails done?

Individuals do have to take some responsibility for their own choices. Like not having kids before they can actually afford to keep them, that sort of thing.

Finally, people will make use of what's available to them. Such as free bus passes for the elderly, free dental care for the pregnant, school meals, etc, etc. It's there, use it, why not?

It follows that the increase in the number of food banks will actually be driving demand for their offerings. Why use Tesco if you can get it for free?
    Fair points all round. To me, in a population of 55m or whatever we're at in Britain at the moment, 1m using food banks doesn't seem that disproportionate. I would imagine it would be quite hard to officially tell who uses them for genuine purposes, and as you say above, who uses them because they instead prefer to pay Sky TV.

Of course people have to take responsibility for their own actions and I am sure there are a fair few people in society that exploit every avenue. As I mentioned, I think the wealth gap is widening as even though you point out people have more cars, smart phones etc, it is very often other people's money we're spending. A credit card is a wonderful thing, as is the ability to borrow 4 times your salary to get a chance of getting on the housing ladder. However a swing north in the rate of interest on a mortgage and I think a lot more people will be seriously going hand to mouth. I know a lot of my friends who have recently got on the housing ladder in certain locations and are stretched at the current rate given the over inflated market.

You might argue that they are fools to over stretch themselves, but then what are the options, continue to rent and line someone else's pockets, or have a job in London, but have to buy further out and make it up in money you pay to the rail companies.

I would also say that yes, people shouldn't be reckless and choose to have children if they aren't in a certain financial position to care for them. However, if that were true, I'm never going to get to have kids, yet I work hard, have a job and pay my bills. I would like kids at some point. There's probably never a good time.
  • Options
    cafcfan said:

cabbles said:

vff said:

but he points out that there are now over 1m relying on food banks in this country, compared to something like 200,000 a few years ago.
    Well, let's assume that's true for a moment. But what is the real explanation as to why? I don't know but here are some questions:

62% of UK adults now own a smartphone, almost triple that of 2011. Yet more than that percentage would tell you that they are now worse off under the Conservative/LibDem Govt. Perhaps they wouldn't be if they weren't paying a grand a year to Vodaphone for something they don't really need?
    Perhaps people see their mobile 'phone contracts as being more important than their 5-a-day?
    The number of cars and vans available for use by households in England and Wales increased from 23.9 million to 27.3 million between 2001 and 2011. In 2001 there were, on average, 11 cars per 10 households, while in 2011 there were 12.
    In the early 1960s about 60% of households did not have a car; that figure is now down to around 15%. And households are smaller - do people really need a car more than food?

What I'm suggesting here is that people make lifestyle choices and don't necessarily make the right ones or correctly prioritise their purchases.

Now back to the 1mn. First we are talking about VISITS, not PEOPLE. Some of those will be repeats. Of the rest, most are getting 3 days worth of rations while they are waiting for their benefit payment to come through after losing their job. These people are NOT relying on food banks to support their existence throughout the year. So can people really not put aside enough money to buy 3 days' worth of food while they have a job? Or is it better instead to get a new phone, get another tattoo (around 30% of 16-44-year-olds have tattoos) or piercing or chuck some money on a horse or a Sky contract or a packet of ciggies or get your nails done?

Individuals do have to take some responsibility for their own choices. Like not having kids before they can actually afford to keep them, that sort of thing.

Finally, people will make use of what's available to them. Such as free bus passes for the elderly, free dental care for the pregnant, school meals, etc, etc. It's there, use it, why not?

It follows that the increase in the number of food banks will actually be driving demand for their offerings. Why use Tesco if you can get it for free?
    I actually find this sort of attitude incredibly insulting to the many 100000's of people who are having to use food banks as part of their household budget. Does anyone in your family have to use one? I suspect not. I have a close relative who is in work (minimum wage or there abouts, constantly having his hours chopped and changed to suit the employer) who has used our local food bank when he's found he didn't have enough money to cover when he's had an unexpected bill.

He has a PAYG smartphone (that I gave him) but doesn't drink, smoke, drive or have much of any social life other than an occasional trip to the cinema, that I pay for, or meal with me and the wife.

We do what we can to help him and have helped him with bills in the past but don't tell me that he, and the majority of other users, are visiting food banks as a lifestyle choice! They don't, they just want to put food on the table and send the kids off to school properly fed.
  • Options

We are getting asked a lot of questions about this issue in S of France but the French seem more interested in why Scottish men wear skirts. They really find it hilarious. But mentioning Braveheart and strong warrior island races seems to quieten them down a bit. The view of the French is that as all politicians are fascist bar stewards it will make no difference who governs who, thus the referendum is an irrelevance. Just get on with life is a common philosophy in the land of wine, pastis fish and sun. it's infectious!

You're suggesting that the French have a simple 'Just get on with life' attitude. That's absurd. Anytime any new legislation is even suggested on just about anything there are demonstrations and strikes. Or do you spend all your time just drinking wine and sunbathing and not notice?
  • Options
    Had really been enjoying this thread and was looking forward to catching up with the last few days posts. What a shame to see it go off track.

Starting afresh again now, please let's try getting back on track with how it was and leave the more generalised politics posts for another day. Thanks
  • Options
    If it is a no vote by a small margin how long before they will try again?
  • Options
    edited September 2014
    Sorry, didn't mean to offend. I was being flippant and a tad irreverent. However I am in a hot rural area where the weather does rather dictate a way of life and the pre-occupation at the moment is picking the grapes and waiting for the hunt season to start. It is a very different way of life compared to the more industrialised areas of France. In that sense, Scotland also has very different life styles to us and many Scots seemed to feel that their way of life is more akin to Norway than England. Small wonder that they feel so alienated from Westminster.
  • Options
    Just watched newsnight and the Snp guy adamant that he can keep the pound AND continue in the EU as if nothing has happened...Spanish guy says actually you need to reapply and it will take 5 years pal!

Surely the electorate should have clear information on these two issues...I can't see the English / Welsh electorate allowing anything more than a temporary arrangement.

I know its about more than money but the Snp are taking the piss suggesting we would love to mind them with a cheque book in our name.

Polls too close to call... Fingers crossed!
  • Options
    MrOneLung said:

If it is a no vote by a small margin how long before they will try again?

That's something that quite concerns me really. As someone that supports the UK, I think it was OK to have the debate once. However I can't see the SNP agreeing with that, and I'm sure that if they lose by a narrow margin (which seems quite likely) they'll be pushing for it again before too long, and again and again until they get the result they want. The trouble is though, that repeatedly revisiting irreversible decisions is fundamentally undemocratic. It's the equivalent of settling a football match by last-goal-wins. I hope that the Westminster bunch are quite clear that once the referendum is over, that's it. Somehow I'm not sure they'll be that forthright in standing up to Salmond & Co.
  • Options
    I understand that concern but the Scottish people cannot be subject to the tyranny of a minority. The mainstream need to get their act together on this and other issues delivering solutions for the UK for this century.
    Recession and lack of jobs feeds nationalism - about time the centre left and centre right recognised this and outlined solutions for our continent that capture people's imagination.

What is amazing is that there will be a 80%+ turnout in a couple of days.
  • Options

There is so much to unravel, the two nations are so intertwined that even if there is a 'yes' vote next autumn, it will take years to sort out the pros and cons. Everything from nuclear weapons to road tax will need to be discussed. Whatever the outcome, I bet that England, rather the English taxpayer, will come out of this badly. Shame that Northern Ireland doesn't want 'freedom' from England. The subsidies paid to this damp outpost are huge.

Cameron should never have allowed the referendum.
    Even if it fails it has disturbed the hornet's nest and will create greater and ongoing racial hatred.
    The Union has evolved over 300 years and the Scots play a big part in its dynamics.
    Sadly, they are in for a hideous shock if they do get the yes vote because a trained baboon could predict the outcome of their economy after the event.
    Misguided idealism in the extreme by Salmond & cronies and Cameron will be remembered only for this debacle as Bush & Blair will be remembered for Iraq