Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Snooker updates

Comments

• Options

I completely forgot about the predictions. I'll get back into it from the semis onward. For what it's worth, I'd have gone Higgins, Carter, Allen, Ding.

Very honest given that Ding and Allen are getting battered.
  • Options

I completely forgot about the predictions. I'll get back into it from the semis onward. For what it's worth, I'd have gone Higgins, Carter, Allen, Ding.

Very honest given that Ding and Allen are getting battered.
    agreed sorry still too late , but still a chance to make it up in Semis and final. All for a bit of fun, suprised how 1 sided 2 of them were yesterday.
  • Options
    SELBY OUT
    O'SULLIVAN OUT
    DING OUT
  • Options
    World Championship
    Quarter Final
    Result

Barry Hawkins 13-5 Ding Junhui
  • Options
    Why is Ding such a choker ffs
  • Options
    Leuth said:

Not quite there mentally, apparently he is so adored in China that he doesn't take it seriously when he is over in England. Shame as he is a talent but looks like might end up being a nearly man, he was fave going into the quarters.

• Options
    5 in a row for Higgins
  • Options
    shirty5 said:

5 in a row for Higgins

Rot has been stopped, Trump sealed the last one to go in 8-8. That is going to hurt so important he comes out final session getting the first frame or 2 imo
  • Options
    World Championship
    Quarter final
    Session 2 score

Judd Trump 8-8 John Higgins
  • Options
    Quick update on Quarter finals

Barry Hawkins 13-5 Ding Junhui-Finished
    Kyren Wilson 11-5 Mark Allen-2 sessions played
    Judd Trump 8-8 John Higgins-2 sessions played
    Mark Williams 4-4 Ali Carter-1 session played
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

Leuth said:

Not quite there mentally, apparently he is so adored in China that he doesn't take it seriously when he is over in England. Shame as he is a talent but looks like might end up being a nearly man, he was fave going into the quarters.

I'm from the same city that Ding is from. I became interested in snooker because of him many years ago (I don't play, just watch. I don't watch as often as I used to though) I agree he's not mentally strong enough but I don't think he doesn't take it seriously over in England.... It's the World Snooker Championship, the most important tournament after all.
  • Options
    World Championship
    Quarter final result

Kyren Wilson 13-6 Mark Allen
  • Options
    I don't mind Hawkins and Wilson going through but I really need Carter and Trump to win today. Not looking good though.
  • Options

Leuth said:

I'm from the same city that Ding is from. I became interested in snooker because of him many years ago (I don't play, just watch. I don't watch as often as I used to though) I agree he's not mentally strong enough but I don't think he doesn't take it seriously over in England.... It's the World Snooker Championship, the most important tournament after all.
    Just from stories from the players themselves they always say he is more committed in China and its very full on there so when he comes over here its a bit less pressure so he eases of the gas. He still has done very well, but performs better at home, i like him just can see Yan Bingtao winning a worlds before him now.
  • Options
    johnny73 said:

I don't mind Hawkins and Wilson going through but I really need Carter and Trump to win today. Not looking good though.

Mine aren't looking too rosy, Hawkins i nearly went for but was blinded by Dings performance in the previous round. Wilson should see it home, hoping trump can pull one off against higgins as was a brave bet looking like 2/4 for me at the mo.
  • Options
    World Championship
    Quarter final
    2nd session result

Mark Williams 9-7 Ali Carter
  • Options
    I think I'm going to get all four quarter finals wrong but I'm not all that surprised.
  • Options
    World Championship
    Quarter Final
    Results

Mark Williams 13-8 Ali Carter
    John Higgins 13-12 Judd Trump

So the 4 Semi Finalists

John Higgins (5)
    Barry Hawkins (6)
    Mark Williams (7)
    Kyren Wilson (9)
  • Options
    Higgins and Hawkins
  • Options
    Got to hand it to Higgins. Never knows when he's beaten.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited May 2018
    Semi Final Schedule

Thursday 1pm-John Higgins v Kyren Wilson(8 frames)
    Thursday 7pm-Barry Hawkins v Mark Williams(8 frames)

Friday 10am-John Higgins v Kyren Wilson(8 frames)
    Friday 1pm-Barry Hawkins v Mark Williams(8 frames)
    Friday 7pm-John Higgins v Kyren Wilson(8 frames)

Saturday 10am-Barry Hawkins v Mark Williams(8 frames)
    Saturday 1pm-John Higgins v Kyren Wilson(9 frames)
    Saturday 7pm-Barry Hawkins v Mark Williams(9 frames)
  • Options
    Well I got the quarters completely wrong. I'm going to go heart over head for the semi finals.

Wilson
    Hawkins
  • Options
    I don't watch much snooker nowadays, but find it surprising how relatively old the main players are nowadays.

Looking at the semi line up, other than Wilson the players are aged 39, 42 and 43, and while the rankings are full of familiar names in their 30s and 40s, with only a small number of 20 somethings.

It seems weird to me when I look back on the eras of Steve Davis and Hendry who won most of their big titles in their 20s and early 30s, indeed at some point someone will surely break the record of Reardon who won the world title at 45
  • Options

I don't watch much snooker nowadays, but find it surprising how relatively old the main players are nowadays.

Looking at the semi line up, other than Wilson the players are aged 39, 42 and 43, and while the rankings are full of familiar names in their 30s and 40s, with only a small number of 20 somethings.

It seems weird to me when I look back on the eras of Steve Davis and Hendry who won most of their big titles in their 20s and early 30s, indeed at some point someone will surely break the record of Reardon who won the world title at 45

I think it's a bit worrying for the game that Higgins, Williams and O'Sullivan have won so much this year. Not many young players coming through.
  • Options
    I'll go Higgins and the Hawk.
  • Options

I think it's a bit worrying for the game that Higgins, Williams and O'Sullivan have won so much this year. Not many young players coming through.
    Gotta say I disagree as regular watcher.

Lots of decent players under 30 still but as Williams and Higgins have both said themselves, because there are so many young players coming tough, Bingtao, Haotian and Hang just to name 3 it has made them step up there game (in fact both have said they are practicing now more than the last few years)

I think the difference is atm that the older players have more experience at the later stages, but fully expect a few younger players to win some events next season
  • Options
    Higgins and Hawkins
  • Options
    Higgins and Willo
  • Options

Gotta say I disagree as regular watcher.

Lots of decent players under 30 still but as Williams and Higgins have both said themselves, because there are so many young players coming tough, Bingtao, Haotian and Hang just to name 3 it has made them step up there game (in fact both have said they are practicing now more than the last few years)

I think the difference is atm that the older players have more experience at the later stages, but fully expect a few younger players to win some events next season
    A mate of mine who was a pro and stopped playing for a few years has gone back to playing comps because the standard has gone down. Just look how few clubs there are these days. A few years ago every town had a snooker club, some had two or three, now in South London there are hardly any. That has to have an effect on the number of kids taking the game up.
  • Options
    Here is something that has come up on twitter tonight and its a very good point

Ronnie O'Sullivan considered by many as the GOAT.
    Turned pro in 92 has won 33 ranking events including 5 world titles

John Higgins if he wins World Championship this year
    Turned pro in 92 would have won 31 ranking events including 5 world titles.

Same era, same world titles and Higgins only 2 ranking events behind Ronnie, surely he would then have to be classed as just as good as Ronnie