Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Snooker updates

Comments

• Options
    edited May 2022
    Glad I don't post on here anymore after reading some comments on here today.

Firstly the ref was fully in the right to speak to Ronnie if he heard or saw a gesture, he did not need to wait until after the frame, Ronnie shouldn't be making gestures and the ref is entitled by the laws of the game to immediately speak to him.

Secondly Ronnie's interview immediately after on Eurosport was absolutely disgraceful, to say a referee was looking for a argument, knowing he can say what he wants and the referee has no right of reply, Olivier Mertel is one of the best referees in the game and there is absolutely zero chance he would make anything up trying to look for an argument, why would a referee do that.

To me it seems weird these incidents have happened the same final where Ronnie has been mic'ed up all tournament for his Netflix documentary 🤔 these things don't usually happen then suddenly 2/3 incidents in the sane match with the same player who is releasing a documentary.

Yeah cos Ronnie isn't doing all this to make his documentary look better is he🤦‍♂️🤦‍♂️
    Your dislike of O’Sullivan is well known and, to be fair, maybe justified. But it’s not about who the player is, it’s about the way the ref dealt with it, which was a bit thoughtless.
    The referee may well have had the right to warn him at the time, but it’s at his discretion and by doing that he potentially disadvantaged Trump. That’s just playing into O’Sullivan’s hands and rewarding his alleged bad behaviour. The ref could have used a bit of common sense. Even if it wasn’t nearly the mid session interval he could’ve spoken to him at the end of the frame. A ref only needs to step in like that if the game can’t continue without it being addressed.
    Right and because I dislike Ronnie what has that got to do with anything, I like snooker and the etiquette and sportsmanship of the sport, I would put the exact same post if it was Selby, Trump, Williams, Murphy, Bingham who done it.

It has nothing to do with it being Ronnie, but I wouldn't expect that behaviour of anyone other than Ronnie(except maybe Allen)

• Options
    Never thought this final would end a session early, could well happen.
    hope not as got ticket for tonight. 
  • Options
    Superb start from Trump.  Game on
  • Options

Firstly the ref was fully in the right to speak to Ronnie if he heard or saw a gesture, he did not need to wait until after the frame, Ronnie shouldn't be making gestures and the ref is entitled by the laws of the game to immediately speak to him.

Secondly Ronnie's interview immediately after on Eurosport was absolutely disgraceful, to say a referee was looking for a argument, knowing he can say what he wants and the referee has no right of reply, Olivier Mertel is one of the best referees in the game and there is absolutely zero chance he would make anything up trying to look for an argument, why would a referee do that.

To me it seems weird these incidents have happened the same final where Ronnie has been mic'ed up all tournament for his Netflix documentary 🤔 these things don't usually happen then suddenly 2/3 incidents in the sane match with the same player who is releasing a documentary.

Yeah cos Ronnie isn't doing all this to make his documentary look better is he🤦‍♂️🤦‍♂️
    Your dislike of O’Sullivan is well known and, to be fair, maybe justified. But it’s not about who the player is, it’s about the way the ref dealt with it, which was a bit thoughtless.
    The referee may well have had the right to warn him at the time, but it’s at his discretion and by doing that he potentially disadvantaged Trump. That’s just playing into O’Sullivan’s hands and rewarding his alleged bad behaviour. The ref could have used a bit of common sense. Even if it wasn’t nearly the mid session interval he could’ve spoken to him at the end of the frame. A ref only needs to step in like that if the game can’t continue without it being addressed.
    Right and because I dislike Ronnie what has that got to do with anything, I like snooker and the etiquette and sportsmanship of the sport, I would put the exact same post if it was Selby, Trump, Williams, Murphy, Bingham who done it.

It has nothing to do with it being Ronnie, but I wouldn't expect that behaviour of anyone other than Ronnie(except maybe Allen)

Jeez. Ok mate, if you say so. Doesn’t sound like it though. Sounds like a friendly debate just got emotional.
    It’s just a discussion. Not really sure why you’re getting so wound up about it. We disagree. That’s allowed. 
    I think the ref could’ve done better, you don’t. Fine. 
    I think the ref should’ve considered the effect on the opponent, you think potentially disturbing innocent bystander Trump’s flow was ok because, you know, “etiquette”.
    You think ROS is trying to earn money for his Netflix special. I don’t see the relevance of this, but you’re the one who gets all snippy about relevance because I mention (accurately) that you don’t like him.

I’ve enjoyed your summaries of snooker in the past, you’re knowledgeable about snooker and you obviously love the sport, so kudos for that. But I’m not surprised you keep away from discussions on here if you can’t engage in a friendly disagreement without throwing a tantrum.

Anyway, good start from Trump today!

• Options
    The fact that Judd complained to the ref about him not waiting until the end of the frame to bollock Ronnie says a lot about whether he did the right thing or not
  • Options

Bit of an over reaction mate.  I wish you would post on this thread more regularly as I enjoy your input, but people are allowed to have a different opinion to you, 
  • Options
    It’s got unexpectedly interesting (the match, not the thread!). 
  • Options
    edited May 2022

Bit of an over reaction mate.  I wish you would post on this thread more regularly as I enjoy your input, but people are allowed to have a different opinion to you, 
    Yet as soon as I post my reasoning it's oh your only saying that because you dislike Ronnie

Tell me that's an appropriate way to talk to a referee in professional sport
  • Options

Found him a bit petulant earlier in todays session when the ref was trying to re place the white and Ronnie wouldn't move his cue so the ref had to duck underneath it to re position the ball. found it all a bit unnecessary. 

anyway, Trump has made a game of this. Fluky red at the end but makes it a more interesting final session later. 14-11. 
  • Options
    Well done Judd!  Hope he can win at least 3 of the next 4, will make it really interesting.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

Jeez. Ok mate, if you say so. Doesn’t sound like it though. Sounds like a friendly debate just got emotional.
    It’s just a discussion. Not really sure why you’re getting so wound up about it. We disagree. That’s allowed. 
    I think the ref should’ve considered the effect on the opponent, you think potentially disturbing innocent bystander Trump’s flow was ok because, you know, “etiquette”.
    You think ROS is trying to earn money for his Netflix special. I don’t see the relevance of this, but you’re the one who gets all snippy about relevance because I mention (accurately) that you don’t like him.

I’ve enjoyed your summaries of snooker in the past, you’re knowledgeable about snooker and you obviously love the sport, so kudos for that. But I’m not surprised you keep away from discussions on here if you can’t engage in a friendly disagreement without throwing a tantrum.

Actually had a very nice discussion about this with a Ronnie fan.

I just know what people on here are like.

Tantrum 🤣🤣🤣🤣

Anyway last post on here for me, back to predictions league and Bet the bookies only.

Do me a favour don't tag me in here again like before
    That sounds like a tantrum to me 🤣🤣

I've defended you a lot on this forum over the years Paulie, but I'm sorry to say you're behaving like a child here.

This thread will definitely miss your input & knowledge, but if you can't engage in sensible debate & accept that other people have a different view to you, then internet forums are no good to you or for you.

Anyway, back to the snooker....great comeback from Trump.  Ronnie still the big favourite, but we have a match on!!
  • Options

Actually had a very nice discussion about this with a Ronnie fan.

I just know what people on here are like.

Tantrum 🤣🤣🤣🤣

Anyway last post on here for me, back to predictions league and Bet the bookies only.

Do me a favour don't tag me in here again like before
    Sorry old chap, but Judd was as pissed off as all of us with the way the Ref handled that incident - I don’t know what Ronnie did, but it was the last frame of the session, and a crucial ball for Judd to pot, and get back in the match - Judd’s reaction was telling - he was essentially saying ‘bloody hell Ref, couldn’t that have waited until we were backstage’ - which I hope you will agree, would have been the way to tackle it - yes the ‘rule of law’ was the Ref was entitled to do what he did - but a wider appreciation of the situation must govern what a Ref does

To put it another way, if that happened after the break, one red potted, Ronnie does whatever he did - yep, Ref pulls him up on it there and then - but with many balls down, and a crucial colour needed by Judd - let it go, keep the frame going naturally, and speak to Ronnie after end of session 

Just common sense 
  • Options
    I can’t find anyone who saw a hand gesture other than the ref….did anyone else see it, not heard anyone who say they did?
    So…….was the ref somehow mistaken?
  • Options
    Strap yourself in this is going to be a great final. 
    Never known an atmosphere like it. 

• Options
    sholland said:
    Strap yourself in this is going to be a great final. 
    Never known an atmosphere like it. 

glad you got to see some play
  • Options
    Really long embrace between the 2 at the end. Ronnie seemed quite emotional talking to Judd, which you never see from Ronnie 
  • Options
    edited May 2022
    Really long embrace between the 2 at the end. Ronnie seemed quite emotional talking to Judd, which you never see from Ronnie 
    Looked a bit awkward after a while…

😂
  • Options
    Well played Ronnie. Pity he attracts such a boorish element. 
  • Options
    overplayed the passion card there .. Trump should have told him to  go cuddle the referee .. not a nice person but a real winner .. remember nice guys finish last .. who first said that ?
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Had a chat with Barry Hearn in the foyer, basically admitted he is playing mind games with Sheffield Council with regards to moving the tournament away from The Crucible if they don’t expand. 
  • Options
    Went the crucible 30 odd years ago hoping to see jimmy white. Ended up watching that dullard from codheadland - Mike Hallet. Swiftly moved on to the bar. It’s not an exciting day out.
  • Options

Yet as soon as I post my reasoning it's oh your only saying that because you dislike Ronnie

Tell me that's an appropriate way to talk to a referee in professional sport
    happens in literally every game of football
  • Options
    Well happy, number 7 get in! Trump made it interesting in the penultimate session but in the last he was potting well just never in control or had position like Ronnie did. A few easy mistakes which made it easier for ROS to close out.

Loved the embrace at the end, although it felt slightly long/awkward, Trump will no doubt win a few more but nicec to see the respect between them both. 

I honestly can't comment on the ref rubbish, don't really care anyway the main think is Ronnie won, i was out drinking and it was more in the background Sunday. 
  • Options
    Boom said:
    Went the crucible 30 odd years ago hoping to see jimmy white. Ended up watching that dullard from codheadland - Mike Hallet. Swiftly moved on to the bar. It’s not an exciting day out.
    2023 tournament sold out in less than 48 hours, plenty of people obviously disagree.
  • Options
    5m viewers on BBC2. 

O'Sullivan seemed like he just decided that he was going to win it this year. He put in the practice and got his mind in the right place. No one really challenged him, apart from Trump in the 3rd session. But if you look at his shot selection through the tournament, he was extremely disciplined, took very few risks and didn't miss many pots. At the end he showed that all that stuff about not really caring is total bollicks.

Trump didn't actually play well in the whole 17 days, which shows how much his all round game has developed because if he'd played like that 4 years ago he would have lost in the first round.

• Options
    sholland said:
    Boom said:
    2023 tournament sold out in less than 48 hours, plenty of people obviously disagree.
    My mate went to the semis, he queue'd up the next day and has got tickets next year for Tuesday. So i am going next year now, first time! I've done a few others and masters a couple times but looking forward to it, we are going up for a few days. 

@LawrieAbrahams , i agree, the early stages it felt like there were about 8-10 players who could win, Trump didn't really play well until the semi final but he came up against Williams who had run out of steam. Ronnie was the most consistent but wasn't really blowing people away just playing the right shots and more controlled in particular in the final, Trump found his potting by the end just had no position and made a few mistakes that were punished. 

I personally wish, but wont happen they moved the UK back to the old longer format from the start. We don't have enough with multiple sessions and probably doesn't help when people go into the worlds used to playing short formats for a week for most tournaments. 
  • Options
    I agree about the UK. It has no right to be considered a "major" in its current format. It used to be a 31 frame final. Maybe these days that's not a good number, so make it 33. 
  • Options
    I agree about the UK. It has no right to be considered a "major" in its current format. It used to be a 31 frame final. Maybe these days that's not a good number, so make it 33. 
    I think the masters actually has overtaken it, although its limited but the longer format personally gives it more credibility. 

I get the market appears to be shorter races, but it should be like other sports eg. Golf 4/5 main events or tennis 4 majors and end of the season one to top it off. 

World Seniors is this week and Q school starts next week for those interested, its unlikely i will update them but check out snooker.org for a list of matches and live scores. 
  • Options
    Just wondering… was it ever confirmed one way or the other whether Ronnie O’Sullivan actually made a rude gesture in the world final?