Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Poppies

123457»

Comments

• Options

Why does it matter when it was taken? It's a thread about poppies and remembrance and their continued disrespect as a club and support is relevant for the topic discussion

It doesn't matter enormously, but it is a bit disingenuous when a picture appears with no mention that it's four years old. Might be an honest oversight or might be an attempt to stir.

Some nutter I know recently sent his whole address book some photos 'proving' that Muslims were plotting an uprising in London. Turned out the pictures were about nine years old.
  • Options
    red_murph said:

That Celtic picture is from 2010.

I'm glad you put that up AFKA. Even if they still do that, some people seem to have other agenda's which I can't abide by.

I went to my first remembrance parade today. Something I'll never ever forget.
    Abide by me ?
  • Options
    Uboat said:

Why does it matter when it was taken? It's a thread about poppies and remembrance and their continued disrespect as a club and support is relevant for the topic discussion

It doesn't matter enormously, but it is a bit disingenuous when a picture appears with no mention that it's four years old. Might be an honest oversight or might be an attempt to stir.

Some nutter I know recently sent his whole address book some photos 'proving' that Muslims were plotting an uprising in London. Turned out the pictures were about nine years old.
    I watched the Aberdeen today and some scum in the Celtic end booed. Imagine if they were at home.

I agree that the photo shouldn't probably appear here as its an old one but the attitude of their scum element (which is higher than any club in the UK) still hasn't changed.

I despise them with a real passion.
  • Options

I myself believe that the Poppy should only be used as a mark of rememberance for those who died in the two World Wars. That is how I always remember it being. I do not agree that it should be used for all conflicts. I am not a supporter of 'all conflicts.'

Its NOT to show your support of conflicts!

Its to show your support of all those Armed Forces personnel who served their country.

The poppy was chosen as much for Napoleonic War association as WW1.
    I find it hard to see how these armed forces are any longer serving the country and its inhabitants. I don't recall Iraq or Afghanistan attacking the UK. I don't see any need for British involvement in these countries at all. How about showing support for all the innocent civilians who were unnecessarily killed in these countries - or didn't they deserve to live too?

And before I get shot down on here who aren't prepared to discuss this properly, may I just re-iterate what others have already said on this thread: those who died in the two World Wars did so for freedom of speech, something which is disintegrating it seems to me in British society nowadays.

Wearing the poppy now does feel like showing support of these conflicts in my opinion. Previously it was to remember those who died in the two World Wars and I find it saddening that this is no longer the case. Additionally, I feel that extending it to 'all conflicts' is taking it away from the World Wars.
  • Options
    edited November 2014
    Honest oversight In that I believed it was recent, however I still think it's completely relevant and was only 4 years ago and we all know their views still persist.

As a comparative when we talk about Millwall fans behaviour, events in their history always come up,as it is still relevant.
  • Options

I myself believe that the Poppy should only be used as a mark of rememberance for those who died in the two World Wars. That is how I always remember it being. I do not agree that it should be used for all conflicts. I am not a supporter of 'all conflicts.'

Its NOT to show your support of conflicts!

Its to show your support of all those Armed Forces personnel who served their country.

The poppy was chosen as much for Napoleonic War association as WW1.
    I find it hard to see how these armed forces are any longer serving the country and its inhabitants. I don't recall Iraq or Afghanistan attacking the UK. I don't see any need for British involvement in these countries at all. How about showing support for all the innocent civilians who were unnecessarily killed in these countries - or didn't they deserve to live too?

And before I get shot down on here who aren't prepared to discuss this properly, may I just re-iterate what others have already said on this thread: those who died in the two World Wars did so for freedom of speech, something which is disintegrating it seems to me in British society nowadays.

Wearing the poppy now does feel like showing support of these conflicts in my opinion. Previously it was to remember those who died in the two World Wars and I find it saddening that this is no longer the case. Additionally, I feel that extending it to 'all conflicts' is taking it away from the World Wars.
    I wear my poppy to remember all British troops that have died in any conflict. I know that's not be correct, but that's how I see it.

Regardless of whether I agree with the conflict or not, I am still eternally grateful for those who fight for our country and even more so for those who have lost their lives.

• Options
    The thing that winds me up is that every year the vast majority of the country stops to pay remembrance. Parades are held in virtually every high st, there were excellent parades today in Bexleyheath, Sidcup and Eltham in Bexley Borough alone.

I find it amazing seeing the young Boys Brigades, Air Cadets, Scouts, Guides etc in their uniforms, kids paying respect to things that happened up to 100 years ago and still thinking of the sacrifices given by others. Respect and remembrance seems to be at the highest level now than at any time in my lifetime.

Yet all we have every year is the same. None of that really gets highlighted as the focus of some is always what a handful of anti English / British attention seekers do up in Glasgow and that dominates debate on here. Just pees me off.
  • Options
    I was touched to see a gent stopping by the Slade Pond as he heard the gun from Woolwich and also a couple of guys clearing round the pond also stopped.
    We observed the moment together but separately.
    I don't wear a poppy as it has a different meaning now to that of my youth, but I do give sincere thanks to all who died or were effected physically or psychologically by the horrors of war in the pursuit of freedom.
  • Options
    edited November 2014

I find it hard to see how these armed forces are any longer serving the country and its inhabitants.

Not sure if you are on a wind up so I will just add that I find your first sentence deeply saddening.
    Your opinion is one that has been fought for - however misguided it is, it's yours.
    The armed forces are non political, we serve whatever colour government is in power at the time and do so without picking and choosing what our democratically elected leaders/our population who elect them, decide. Even moronic warmongers who ignore a million people march against a war.

You also completely miss the point of the Royal British Legion poppy appeal.

• Options

I couldn't find the thread about the 100 year anniversary of the start of the great war, so have posted here.

I took this photograph in a graveyard in Shropshire on a lovely summer's day a few years back. It was tucked away in the corner, easily overlooked I'd imagine, but I was struck by the detail of it and I couldn't help but think of those men whose names are etched on the stone who would never return to this beautiful spot. Lest we forget.