Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Poppies

Comments

• Options
    How much money does the Royal British Legion miss out on with all these cash donations without Gift Aid
  • Options
    Addickted said:

I wonder how many families of the 27,405 Irish volunteers who died in the first World War applaud Mr McCleans decision?

Not fecking many!

• Options
    edited November 2013
    I know its late and I've had a booze but seriously, why are so many people bothered by the actions or inactions of other people ?

I have my views and beliefs, I've no interest at all if others feel the same or opposite.

On Saturday, Bexleyheath Broadway was awash with soldiers, air cadets, TA, etc. One of my three year olds was wearing his poppy, was given a union Jack by a soldier and spent the rest of the morning flapping his flag around and saluting to the soldiers. I'm not sure I'll have many more prouder moments.

Surrounding us in Asda were people it meant not a thing to. Other than your own family, you can't force it upon people, its either in people or its not. And if it isn't, then so what.

It will always mean everything to those of us it is in.
  • Options
    ^ Spot on. I've been following this thread all night not sure whether to get involved or not. No point now, you've summed it up brilliantly and eloquently. Nothing more needs to be said.
  • Options

^ Spot on. I've been following this thread all night not sure whether to get involved or not. No point now, you've summed it up brilliantly and eloquently. Nothing more needs to be said.

People who say "I don't need to say anything" who just did - funny
  • Options

WSS said:

I'm pretty sure there were a number if Scottish games that had no silence as well. Not just the Celtic game.

There wasn't one at welling.
    That's OK though - they had a 90 minute silence the previous week.
  • Options

Surrounding us in Asda were people it meant not a thing to.

Should've gone to Marks - or better still found a Waitrose. Better class of poppy wearer in there.
  • Options
    Feel free to delete is this should be else ware mods, but im donating 50% of any sales in the next 24 hrs from my shop to The RBL

http://carlcashman.bigcartel.com/
  • Options
    Remembrance Day used to be a quiet and solemn occasion, but over the last few years I have seen it being transformed into an 'event', an attraction for tourists with celebrities on show. I much prefer the gentle simplicity of years gone by.
  • Options
    This must be close to the most depressing thread i've ever read on Charlton Life.
    To even debate the simple act of showing respect to those who were sacrificed for our freedom, leaves me deeply saddened.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Daggs said:

This must be close to the most depressing thread i've ever read on Charlton Life.
    To even debate the simple act of showing respect to those who were sacrificed for our freedom, leaves me deeply saddened.

This was basically my point earlier, better made than me
  • Options
    There is a photo from Saturday on the CAFC Facebook page of Jordan Cousins and Dale Stephens. Cousins has no poppy on his shirt.

Changed at HT or didn't wear one?
  • Options
    Most of the team changed shirts at half time.
  • Options
    This whole thread has turned into political correctness gone mad.
  • Options
    edited November 2013
    Great service from the Menin Gate yesterday (on TV). Those kids show respect EVERYDAY. There is also a donation of soil from Ypers coming back to London. My Grandad was injured there and his brother killed.
  • Options

Great service from the Menin Gate yesterday (on TV). Those kids show respect EVERYDAY. There is also a donation of soil from Ypers coming back to London. My Grandad was injured there and his brother killed.

Slightly off topic, but Ypres is one of my favourite places to spend a couple of hours. I've only been there twice, both times en route to somewhere else (and not on significant dates), but it just blows me away. A village that has made respect and remembrance its trademark. Anyone who's never been, please try to. It's wonderful.
  • Options
    I stop wearing my poppy after the 11th, but seen a few people with them still on. Is there some sort of etiquette that's generally accepted ?
  • Options
    not got mine on today, been wearing it for the past couple of weeks
  • Options
    I suppose if somebody refused to wear a kick it out logo, if the reason was a rational one and not because the individual supported racism - then you would hope our society can accept that. You may disagree with McLean's rationale - I certainly do, but it is wrong to impose your/our views on to him. That is in itself a type of facism, and as has been said - our brave soldiers fought for freedom so it is a tribute to them if we support freedom, even when we disagree with things. Seems to me, people are not so ready to look at things from another person's point of view - and are really quick to judge people and be holier than thou!
  • Options
    Working opposite the Cenotaph at the moment, so popped out there yesterday at 11am for the Western Front veterans ceremony. Very moving, especially when the played the last post, lump in the throat.

• Sponsored links:

• Options
    se9addick said:

I stop wearing my poppy after the 11th, but seen a few people with them still on. Is there some sort of etiquette that's generally accepted ?

I buy a few metal ones and put them on various coats .. wear the poppy until I take the trouble and/or remember to remove them .. the metal ones are so small that they are unobtrusive yet still quite attractive
  • Options
    edited November 2013
    You would probably think I hadn't bought one because it is hidden under the Hijab my culture forces me to wear.
  • Options

You would probably think I hadn't bought one because it is hidden under the Hijab my culture forces me to wear.

Is this comment really necessary?

• Options
    edited November 2013

Necessary? Of course not. I was drawing a parallel. It was meant to be lighthearted but sorry if I missed.
  • Options

Necessary? Of course not. I was drawing a parallel. It was meant to be lighthearted but sorry if I missed.
    Made me smile!

• Options

Off_it said:

If people don't want to wear one that's fine by me. They're free to choose want they want to do and need to stand by their conscience.

That's the whole point for me.

I don't want some prick wearing one to "look cool" or make some sort of statement as, to me, that devalues the whole thing.

Totally agree. Really winds me up seeing everyone on tv wearing them when you know they have been given to them by the bbc rather than paying for them, themselves. I remember watching have I got news for you and that black American comedian, Reginald someone, said he didn't even know why he was wearing one.
    Well this is what happens if you are on TV and don't wear a Poppy: http://metro.co.uk/2013/11/13/itv-newsreader-charlene-white-receives-racist-and-sexist-abuse-after-choosing-not-to-wear-a-poppy-4184962/
  • Options

Off_it said:

If people don't want to wear one that's fine by me. They're free to choose want they want to do and need to stand by their conscience.

That's the whole point for me.

I don't want some prick wearing one to "look cool" or make some sort of statement as, to me, that devalues the whole thing.

Totally agree. Really winds me up seeing everyone on tv wearing them when you know they have been given to them by the bbc rather than paying for them, themselves. I remember watching have I got news for you and that black American comedian, Reginald someone, said he didn't even know why he was wearing one.
    Well this is what happens if you are on TV and don't wear a Poppy: http://metro.co.uk/2013/11/13/itv-newsreader-charlene-white-receives-racist-and-sexist-abuse-after-choosing-not-to-wear-a-poppy-4184962/
    There are undercurrents of what was said to her in this thread - not so overt or abusive but there nonetheless.
  • Options
    Just reading the article in the post by Fishy above, reminded me of the discussion my wife and I were having the other day. Charlene White says that she doesn't wear a poppy on screen because she doesn't want to advertise one charity above any others she supports, which I understand. The discussion that my wife and i were having centred around the fact that although I choose to buy a poppy each year (usually more than one), I don't do it to support the charity, I do it to show that I remember and am grateful for the sacrifice of those who paid the ultimate price. Wifey insists that we should buy a poppy each year to support the charity. Now, I'm sure most of us who buy poppies to do both of these things, but surely the most important is the act of remembrance and not the charity isn't it? If you buy a metal pin badge poppy this year and wear it each subsequent year, is that wrong? I don't think so, do you?
  • Options

Just reading the article in the post by Fishy above, reminded me of the discussion my wife and I were having the other day. Charlene White says that she doesn't wear a poppy on screen because she doesn't want to advertise one charity above any others she supports, which I understand. The discussion that my wife and i were having centred around the fact that although I choose to buy a poppy each year (usually more than one), I don't do it to support the charity, I do it to show that I remember and am grateful for the sacrifice of those who paid the ultimate price. Wifey insists that we should buy a poppy each year to support the charity. Now, I'm sure most of us who buy poppies to do both of these things, but surely the most important is the act of remembrance and not the charity isn't it? If you buy a metal pin badge poppy this year and wear it each subsequent year, is that wrong? I don't think so, do you?

Interesting point. Certainly to help the charity but do I need a poppy or badge to remember. I always wear one so maybe I do.

Would I remember less or with less reverence if I didn't wear a poppy? No, I don't think so so why do I need to wear it?

To give a trivial comparison I often wear a Charlton badge to games but not always. Do I support Charlton less or more depending on if I wear that badge? I would say no.

maybe wearing a poppy is also about showing others that you remember and showing others that you remember and care. It is an act of collective remembrance and perhaps more powerful for that.
  • Options
    I think its down to the individual on much of this stuff.

I have various metal poppy badges but i always make a point of buying a poppy each year. Its a couple of quid a year---not much is it?