Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Poppies

Nice to see our armed forces past and presen out in force today collecting fo the poppy appeal, I believe they were targeting £1m today ( we had them in our office)

I am currently sporting a poppy flanked by a st Andrew flag and the rampant lion

What about you guys, anyone got a charlton poppy?

Comments

• Options
    Yup been proudly wearing my poppy all week to work...

Was good to see them in force at Cannon Street this morning and tipped a whole load of silver into a bucket (will be taking more up for them tomorrow)
  • Options
    Have bought and lost five paper poppies this year - finally got my hands in a metal ones from one of the sellers in the City this morning !
  • Options
    se9addick said:

Have bought and lost five paper poppies this year - finally got my hands in a metal ones from one of the sellers in the City this morning !

Wish they'd make the metal ones bigger, my mum has one and its tiny
  • Options

Nice to see our armed forces past and presen out in force today collecting fo the poppy appeal, I believe they were targeting £1m today ( we had them in our office)

I am currently sporting a poppy flanked by a st Andrew flag and the rampant lion

Where did you procure this?
    Wish the bbc and sky et al didn't start with the poppies so early. Far more impact having a day or week and meaning it. Soon half the year will be spent with media wanks wearing increasingly elaborate poppies and nobody actually thinking about what it is for. Hope to get the time to go to the memorial at Lloyd's tomorrow.

• Options
    se9addick said:

metal poppies are the best, and the wristband/bracelet .. no mucking about with pins and stems .. they'd make nice earrings as well, the metal poppies that is, not the wristbands
  • Options
    Got a wristband as usually lose mine the same day every time I buy one.
  • Options

Where did you procure this?
    Wish the bbc and sky et al didn't start with the poppies so early. Far more impact having a day or week and meaning it. Soon half the year will be spent with media wanks wearing increasingly elaborate poppies and nobody actually thinking about what it is for. Hope to get the time to go to the memorial at Lloyd's tomorrow.

The guy that has the stall every year outside cannon street, I got my one and one with a clover for my Irish mrs.

Well worth a look if you are after a poppy and a really nice bloke to boot.
  • Options
    Seems to be a distinct drop in poppy wearing this year.
  • Options
    Just a plain poppy.

Don't agree with any football related ones. Find it both cheapens and trivialises the whole thing.

By wearing a poppy I'm giving my public respect for those who gave their life fighting for this country, not showing people what football team I support.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

Just a plain poppy.

Don't agree with any football related ones. Find it both cheapens and trivialises the whole thing.

By wearing a poppy I'm giving my public respect for those who gave their life fighting for this country, not showing people what football team I support.

Agree 100%
  • Options
    Be careful what poppy you buy, I see on Watchdog that some of the "designer" ones only give a tiny fraction of the cost to the Causes. One that cost £45 and only gave 4 quid to The Royal British Legion or Haig Fund.
  • Options
    A heads up.

As they did last year the Club are giving Charlton Life two of the matchworn poppy shirts from Leeds game to be auctioned.

All procedes will, as last year be donated to the Abbey Wood and Thamesmead branch of the Royal British Legion
  • Options

Just a plain poppy.

Well said
  • Options
    PL54 said:

I'm on a crowded train right now and I'd say there are 10/12 people in my sight line and there are maybe 2/3 other people wearing poppies. Shocking really, this is a commuter train that takes you to the City (Blackfriars and City Tlink) where almost all will get off and over the last couple of days those stations and all throughout the City the poppy sellers have been out in force so it's not like they haven't had the opportunity.
  • Options
    PL54 said:

I thought that too. I wondered whether Help For Heros had encroached on their territory.

• Options
    BIG_ROB said:

Be careful what poppy you buy, I see on Watchdog that some of the "designer" ones only give a tiny fraction of the cost to the Causes. One that cost £45 and only gave 4 quid to The Royal British Legion or Haig Fund.

I usually use these if I can't find a seller:

http://www.britishlegion.org.uk/get-involved/how-to-give/ways-to-support/support-us-while-you-shop
  • Options
    i actually though that i have seem more poppies this year and a broader range of people wearing them ?

have a pin badge and a normal poppy but brought a bling poppy broach for my wife yesterday --£20. Moments panic as while i routed around for the dosh.
  • Options
    Nice to hear my 4 year old son come home from school asking for money to buy a poppy at school ' for the soldiers ' , as he says . Will be at the war memorial on Sunday
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited November 2013
    Was doing some work in a Primary school in Thamesmead on Monday.

I could hear the kids practicing WW2 songs for the rememberance assembly they are having on Friday (today) when the local RBL are coming in to talk to them
  • Options
    Agree fewer people seem to wear poppies. Maybe it has something to do with ever more charities promoting some kind of badge you're supposed to wear for a week, perhaps the concept has been overused.
  • Options
    I lost the back of my metal one. No matter. I always buy a poppy.

I think whatever your political persuasion, remembering those who gave their lives is important. Remembrance day means more to me than Christmas, and the British legion are a fantastic charity.
  • Options
    yeah serious lack of poppies in london.. would give a reason but will probably be hounded for being racist on here ha
  • Options
    BIG_ROB said:

M&S were mentioned on that report. Watchdog failed to read out the statement issued by RBL informing people that they were very grateful for the support of M&S and the Poppy Brooch and would hate for people to be discouraged for purchasing it, as they value the relationship and the awareness raised by their relationship with M&S. I hate their one sided reports.
  • Options
    I don't wear a poppy because I don't like pinning stuff onto my clothes. Still put money in the collection boxes though. I did have a stick on one last year but only managed to keep hold of it for a couple of days. There might be more freaks like me around! Just because someone isn't wearing a poppy doesn't necessarily mean that they disagree or haven't donated.
  • Options

yeah serious lack of poppies in london.. would give a reason but will probably be hounded for being racist on here ha

shame you had to drag the conversation down that road

• Options

Agree fewer people seem to wear poppies. Maybe it has something to do with ever more charities promoting some kind of badge you're supposed to wear for a week, perhaps the concept has been overused.

I always thought that HfH would split the total donations rather than add to them but don't have any details to prove that or not. I did some work with RBL a little while ago and their donations were down c9% but that was in line with the general drop in charitable giving over the last few years.

I just hope to God that any lack of Poppies is not because people have any "fear" following Woolwich / Drummer Lee Rigby.
  • Options
    When I was a kid back in the sixties the Poppy appeal was far less high profile and successful than it is these days. Whether that can be totally put down to better marketing now or more hopefully a resurgence in public support and recognition of the sacrifice that the armed forces make when called I don't know. Perhaps the fifteen or twenty years post WW2 were a time when people just wanted to forget or put aside all things military. Whatever the case I am glad that the great British public is now so supportive of our servicemen.
  • Options

Just a plain poppy.

if the proceeds are going to the RBL i really dont see the issue, infact i would imagine that if anything it raises more money as there will be people who buy a paper one for a bit of change but if they see one with their club badge, three lions etc they will be more inclined to part with more cash.