Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Poppies

Comments

• Options

Just a plain poppy.

Don't agree with any football related ones. Find it both cheapens and trivialises the whole thing.

By wearing a poppy I'm giving my public respect for those who gave their life fighting for this country, not showing people what football team I support.

if the proceeds are going to the RBL i really dont see the issue, infact i would imagine that if anything it raises more money as there will be people who buy a paper one for a bit of change but if they see one with their club badge, three lions etc they will be more inclined to part with more cash.

My view is the poppy itself is enough for you to donate, a club football badge shouldn't make you hand over more.
  • Options

Just a plain poppy.

Don't agree with any football related ones. Find it both cheapens and trivialises the whole thing.

By wearing a poppy I'm giving my public respect for those who gave their life fighting for this country, not showing people what football team I support.

if the proceeds are going to the RBL i really dont see the issue, infact i would imagine that if anything it raises more money as there will be people who buy a paper one for a bit of change but if they see one with their club badge, three lions etc they will be more inclined to part with more cash.

My view is the poppy itself is enough for you to donate, a club football badge shouldn't make you hand over more.
    i agree that it should be enough, i am simply saying that there will be people who will hand over more if it has their club badge etc and if that raises money that isnt a bad thing.

• Options
    I read some idiot in Metro letters criticising people for not wearing a poppy on 1 November! - I don't wear mine, but have it on my desk. Another Metro letter bemoaned people who wear them wrongly - leaf should be at 11 o'clock - which is rubbish btw. The poppy is becoming more than it should be.

We should never forget the ultimate sacrifice people have made and a poppy is really neither here nor there in that. I'm not that keen on wearing a poppy because of its links with Lord Haig- it was introduced by Lady Haig and used to bear the words Haig Fund on it. Haig was responsible for the deaths of many soldiers in WW1 and i'm not sure a poppy respects them. Thinking about them (not just at this time of year) and contributing to the RBL does though.

People shouldn't be shy in contributing - but those judgmental so and sos, really get my goat!
  • Options
    You shouldn't judge those judgemental people like that Muttley.
  • Options
    I always wondered who read The Metro letters page
  • Options
    Plain for me and even take the little green leaf off. No idea why that was added a few years ago.
  • Options

i actually though that i have seem more poppies this year and a broader range of people wearing them ?

have a pin badge and a normal poppy but brought a bling poppy broach for my wife yesterday --£20. Moments panic as while i routed around for the dosh.

Agree, i work in Covent Garden and ive seen loads of tourists sporting poppies. Looks great.
  • Options
    Seem to be a healthy number of folks round my way who are sporting one, even a Slovakian fella I know is wearing one. It's not really much to ask is it?
  • Options
    Last years metal poppy reused. £5 donated to the RBL via the bloke outside Boots next to Cannon Street. That man does a sterling job every year although he makes a huge effort letting everyone know who he supports.
  • Options
    I think I've actually seen more poppies this year. I wonder if people don't notice them so much because many wear the small metal badges rather than the larger paper ones?
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

Just a plain poppy.

I don't agree. If they sell, which they do, then more money for the cause.
  • Options
    Well 20% of something is better than 100% of nothing.
  • Options
    We've got American auditors in at the moment & one of them is sporting one. Fair play i thought.
  • Options
    edited November 2013
    Lots of poppy wearers in Grimsby town today .. and the remembrance day services are always well attended .. the Sea Scouts, Army and Air Cadets, the Boy Scouts, Girl Guides and the British Legion are all still popular around these ere parts of England
  • Options

BIG_ROB said:

Be careful what poppy you buy, I see on Watchdog that some of the "designer" ones only give a tiny fraction of the cost to the Causes. One that cost £45 and only gave 4 quid to The Royal British Legion or Haig Fund.

M&S were mentioned on that report. Watchdog failed to read out the statement issued by RBL informing people that they were very grateful for the support of M&S and the Poppy Brooch and would hate for people to be discouraged for purchasing it, as they value the relationship and the awareness raised by their relationship with M&S. I hate their one sided reports.
    Typical BBC
  • Options

Just a plain poppy.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I'm guessing these (and those with slogans on such as 'try burning this') are not officially produced in accordance to the RBL, so the money for the cause is more down to the integrity of the independent seller.

Though in fairness, that argument is the same for even official sellers.

• Options
    Not seen too many worn by the students at the uni where I work, though the staff all seem to be wearing one. Loads of foreign students though.
  • Options
    bought a wristband as I always lose the normal badges. so unless I wear a t-shirt or pull my sleeves up you wont see it. which could be why some haven't seen as many poppies.
    it's a broach with a black string to go round your wrist. bit femining but it looks pretty snazzy.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    WSS said:
    Don't particularly agree with his thought that the poppy has been hijacked to somehow be supporting the wars in Iraq and Afghanistan. Of course we remember the troops lost, but that doesn't mean we have to support the reason they were fighting.
  • Options

Just a plain poppy.

And Also for the club! Using Remembrance Sunday as an opportunity to swell the coffers! Now, if they donated the entire cost of the sale to the cause, well that's a different story.

• Options

bought a wristband as I always lose the normal badges. so unless I wear a t-shirt or pull my sleeves up you wont see it. which could be why some haven't seen as many poppies.

This. Me too.

• Options

Just a plain poppy.

I've got a Charlton/Poppy badge. As far as I know, no money went to the poppy fund from this. With the exception that since I've had it I've tended to pay extra to buy that year's badge in metal rather than the paper version.
  • Options
    edited November 2013
    Kind of agree with a lot of the sentiments there WSS. I suppose the more pertinent opinions, are of those most directly affected.

One thing that I'm sure folk with their fashion poppies and meeja types who prominently pin theirs on from October onwards, won't give a fuck or a thought about is them impact of a move to the most elaborate fancy poppy. Until last year my friend, who lost a leg in service, assembled poppies. It'd be doing him a disservice to suggest it was just something that kept him busy. He had a lot more about him and could do more than most of us, but it kept him in touch with a cause he cared about (in fact he passed away while training for a triathlon). I don't really know, but would be interested in the opinions of former service men and women about fashion poppies and politicians making capital out of them. If they're cool about it, I should swallow my discomfort, I guess. It feels though that it might be taking away an important and useful, if less visible function of the poppy.
  • Options
    I lost 3 this week when I was in London. Still managed to bring two home though.

For the first time I saw them being sold in Bermuda this year. A few years back a friend of mine brought back a whole box from London to 'sell' to people in Bermuda. Great idea until he got stung by Bermuda Customs and had to pay duty on them.
  • Options
    Some people are quick to assume. I wear my pin badge poppy on my top not my coat so to Joe Bloggs on the street it may appear I don't wear one.

Last year I was fortunate to pay my respects on 11th at the Cenotaph itself - such a poignant experience. Work permitting will do likewise on Monday.
  • Options
    I must admit I was surprised at how few people were wearing a poppy today, when I went shopping at my local Tesco. I went out after watching and observing the 2 minutes silence the Remembrance Service on television.
  • Options
    Hearing that James McLean has been dropped from Wigans squad today for refusing to wear a poppy on his shirt.
  • Options
    Not many irish players wore one yesterday shane long didnt either