Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Charlton - Blackburn - Post Match Views

Comments

• Options
    There is no better time and place to be on CL than when you can hear directly from those brave souls who have endured long journeys in foul weather, with very little reason for confidence, and who are rewarded with a famous and apparently well deserved victory. You are the very soul of this club, my hat off to all of you.

Thought this was an interesting remark from one such hero

"Again, as I said after Burnley on here, it's a real pity that a few more have not witnessed what we have seen repeatedly over the last three seasons, those lovely away wins in theee north."

I go back a long way, and for much of that time it seemed we were often a soft touch oop North but this Chris Powell team has dispelled that image. The armchair fans who exert their right to pontificate on CP's tactical "naivety" when we don't win at home are within their rights, but unless they go to games like this as well, then they simply haven't got the whole picture.

The other thing I'm liking is Dale Stephens. I have never been a fan, because of his apparent lack of application of his undoubted skills. But I was impressed against Forest and Blackpool, and yesterday's set up was an absolute peach. Perhaps we forget that he is just a young, apparently homesick lad from oop North; perhaps he has matured a bit, perhaps Chris has finally got inside his head. Whatever, if he carries on in this form, Chris has solved the need to spend money on a creative midfielder.
  • Options
    Great day, performance and win. Managed to avoid the rain by diving into the working men's club outside the ground. Incredibly hungover this morning but loving life and our three points !
  • Options
    Prague it sounds stupid but considering some of the (only in part) justified stick Dale has got, the first half of his contribution for the goal stands out more for me - he won an impeccably timed standing tackle by pressing a dawdling opponent in his own half and instantly stepped clear, head up and then let the technique and ability he has do the talking. We know he's got the vision and the lobbed through ball in his locker, it was the fact he put himself in the position to do it that did it for me.
  • Options
    as a northern supporter I cannot accept any of Prague's accolade but concur with his remarks as I have seen most of our northern games in recent years. As for Stephens the other part of his game that has improved is his tackling in midfield where he has often stopped the opposition build up before it started, Ok he does put some passes astray but like yesterday he also can see and execute a match winner, if his passes were 100% he wouldn't be with us but playing for a top prem side. He is no different to any other player in that confidence builds success and I can tell you from yesterday's performance we had a lot of confidence out there.
  • Options

There is no better time and place to be on CL than when you can hear directly from those brave souls who have endured long journeys in foul weather, with very little reason for confidence, and who are rewarded with a famous and apparently well deserved victory. You are the very soul of this club, my hat off to all of you.

Thought this was an interesting remark from one such hero

"Again, as I said after Burnley on here, it's a real pity that a few more have not witnessed what we have seen repeatedly over the last three seasons, those lovely away wins in theee north."

I go back a long way, and for much of that time it seemed we were often a soft touch oop North but this Chris Powell team has dispelled that image. The armchair fans who exert their right to pontificate on CP's tactical "naivety" when we don't win at home are within their rights, but unless they go to games like this as well, then they simply haven't got the whole picture.

The other thing I'm liking is Dale Stephens. I have never been a fan, because of his apparent lack of application of his undoubted skills. But I was impressed against Forest and Blackpool, and yesterday's set up was an absolute peach. Perhaps we forget that he is just a young, apparently homesick lad from oop North; perhaps he has matured a bit, perhaps Chris has finally got inside his head. Whatever, if he carries on in this form, Chris has solved the need to spend money on a creative midfielder.

Very good post PA. I agree with every point.

• Options
    Fantastic result.... in Pompey with my Pompey mate, both won so all happy here.

Lovely pass and finish and great to keep a clean sheet.
  • Options
    Proper 4-4-2....Hooray!

Excellent team performance. All of the combinations worked. Wood/Morrison at Centre Back, Wiggins/Stewart on the left; Wilson/Pritchard on the right; Church/Sordell complimented each other up front; and the real bonus was the Cousins/Stephens partnership in Central Midfield which was excellent, with Cousins providing time, space and possession for Stephens to play. (CP no tinkering with this combination!).
    In the first half, we controlled the game, keep the ball well, dictated the pattern and tempo of the game, defended solidly and moved up the pitch very well as a team. In the second half, we were composed, disciplined and dug in when we had to.
    Well done to CP for going back to basics. You wonder how it gets so over-complicated? 4-4-2 with a sound plan is simple and effective.
    Wilson was MoM for me. He nullified their main threat on the left - Josh King - which cut the main supply to Jordan Rhodes and as a result Blackburn struggled to create many openings.
    Looking forward to the next game.
  • Options
    Great result the whole squad will take confidence from it. Also brings us closer to the teams just above us.
  • Options
    We fully deserved the 3 points yesterday with a great, gritty, backs to the wall performance. Scoring so early knocked Blackburn off their game plan and they really didn't worry us for about half an hour. When they did Hamer made a great save from Rhodes' volley.

The goal was scored at the opposite end to us but even from that far away we could tell it was a great finish. Hopefully Simon can go on a good goal scoring run from here.

Sordell had our only other meaningful chance in the first half but his low shot was never going to trouble their keeper. We had a couple of half chances in the 2nd half with a Sordell shot blocked and Stephens sending a weak header into the keepers arms. Dale also tried to repeat his great strike from last year but skied his shot high into the stand.

The ref was pretty lenient with some Blackburn challenges with Kane going unpunished for two footed on Stewart and Kilgallon slyly lifting his knee into Church's back which left him on floor for quite a while afterwards. Kane did eventually go in the book for a tug on Pritch which should really have been his second yellow.

The last 10 minutes + 7 (SEVEN) injury time (6 had been on the board but hey...) were very hard to watch as Kean kept pumping high balls into the box but we just about managed to clear and held on for the win.

As we left a massive thunderstorm hit and we had to run to get back to the coach. Not Yeovil proportions but we all ended up very wet!

Since Reid scored for Forest we have not conceded which is the best part of 3 games, hopefully that run will continue against Wigan.

• Options
    vffvff
    edited October 2013
    Great to see the match reports above. It is very good to read them. Excellent finish for the Church goal. A solid team performance all round. Cousins at the base of the midfield allows Stephens to play. Cousins + in the midfield. Great to see KMG + Johnnie Jackson back as well. Charlton quite often will win when not expected. Very happy with the 3 points. Well done to all those Charlton fans who made the trip.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/b03fqhdf/The_Football_League_Show_2013_2014_19_10_2013/

30.53 for the Charlton bit. Church has had a great week, with the winning goal for Wales against Macedonia and playing against Belgium. A superb finish for the winning goal.

The Blackpool vs Wigan is just before and worth a look (23.30). How that game ended 1-0 only is anybody guess. Nick Powell, Wigan misses a sitter. Mclean is the player sent off Wigan. It seemed a bit unlucky to me, as the Blackpool defender elbowed him in a crunching challenge and stood on his knee. He was rightly upset but got sent off for complaining. Scot Carson in goal for Wigan.

Check the Wendies 36.20 - Semedo sent off straight red in the middle of the park.
  • Options
    @lancashirelad

But as I know from AFKA, you get down to the Valley too:-). Yesterday must have been sweet for you.
  • Options
    For the fans who were there (how many did we actually take?) I was listening on 'Radio Rovers', and I heard you a lot of the time, at least two pretty good VFR's in the second half, and other songs. You should be proud of your efforts, as those of us sat at home were proud of you.
  • Options
    seth plum said:

For the fans who were there (how many did we actually take?) I was listening on 'Radio Rovers', and I heard you a lot of the time, at least two pretty good VFR's in the second half, and other songs. You should be proud of your efforts, as those of us sat at home were proud of you.

Seemed to be about 300-350 there
  • Options
    A classic Charlton away performance of the sort that earned us lots of wins in the previous 2 seasons. It wasn't that much of a surprise to me, as most teams in this division can beat each other.

Wood, to me, seems like a better Matt Taylor, a solid experienced defender, Wilson is more of a surprise to me, as last season he didn't look the part at RB, so well done to him (and the coaching staff)
  • Options
    Bigmac said:

Legs still wet, but in a pub up here and loving it!

It's terrible when you don't make it to the toilet on time :-)
  • Options
    266 minutes since we conceded a goal(plus injury time)
  • Options
    Great win, Powell is the boss. One more goal Randolph and we go above Birmingham with a game in hand
  • Options
    barstool said:

Great win, Powell is the boss. One more goal Randolph and we go above Birmingham with a game in hand

Now 4-0:)
  • Options
    se9addick said:

seth plum said:

Looked considerably less in the photo taken from the Blackburn end and posted on page 2. Barely 200.

• Sponsored links:

• Options
    Always seem to win when we play them on my birthday! Remember HH scoring a winner up there in the Prem days.

Made me have a few more all inclusive G&Ts here in Cyprus!
  • Options
    Kap10 said:

@bigstemarra

Why is it necessary to dig out other fans after a result and why does questioning CP's tactics make fans haters? Why can't we just enjoy the performance of the team and the result?

Well done CP and the team and fans that went up there.

Good call Kap, great win, well done CP, clearly his feed the macacque joke/story worked. As you say calling sceptics haters just because we don't think he has proved himself yet is not helpful to any debate and only likely to lead to more criticism if we feck up next game. Onwards and upwards.
  • Options
    WSS said:

Made me have a few more all inclusive G&Ts here in Cyprus!

WTF firstly wrong thread

secondly RED CARD right thread

Gin and Tonic FFS

• Options

se9addick said:

seth plum said:

Looked considerably less in the photo taken from the Blackburn end and posted on page 2. Barely 200.

You guys KNOW size isn't important, CS !

Forget quantity....it's quality that counts .

• Options
    Moved up a league place thanks to Birmingham getting smashed 4-0 by Leeds
  • Options
    E I E I E I O
    Up the football league we go
    When get promoted
    This is what we'll sing.
    We are Charlton, super Charlton
    Chris Powell is our King
  • Options
    Anyone else have a tug at the heartstrings, listening to CP's interview after the game.
    Confirms that he's one of us really!
  • Options
    Glenshee said:

Anyone else have a tug at the heartstrings, listening to CP's interview after the game.

Glenshee said:

Does look like he really means it, and although we dont have the biggest away support think that he goes out of his way to show his gratitude to the one that manage to make it.
  • Options
    Figure on twitter is 230. Imo it was nearer 300. Cringeworthy all the same.
  • Options

Figure on twitter is 230. Imo it was nearer 300. Cringeworthy all the same.

Plymouth took more to Hartlepool! 273 apparently.