Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Watford vs. Charlton - Post Match Views

Comments

• Options

Took this video just after we scored not the best quality i know, i got a old iphone 3GS http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ANiZcXejtww

Sat in the same row as you my friend!
  • Options
    for the penalty, was their bloke already on a booking? could and maybe should have been sent off if so
  • Options
    What was the atmosphere like?
  • Options
    dizzee said:

What was the atmosphere like?

Charlton fans great
    Watford fans non existent
    Not being bias either never heard anything from watford end possibly due to stand closest to Away fans not being there
  • Options
    Another promising performance following on from a fortnight ago and a valuable point against a very decent side. Have a read of my full take on the game here: http://chrispowellsflatcap.wordpress.com/2013/09/14/spoils-shared-as-solid-addicks-impress/
  • Options
    No way we had 62 (can't find a percentage key) possession.

Really enjoyed our performance, away support was feckin quality.

Pritchard was immense, back 3 assured.

Worked hard to close down where we could, good team ethic.

No complaints, top day out.

"Different massage" shop, anyone see it?
  • Options
    Entertaining game. Players ran and ran. Looked shaky in last 20-Jacko looked esp knackered, but still ghosted brilliantly into the box and nearly scored.

I can see Stephens getting better and better in this system.

Wing backs showing terrific energy. Don't get some of the negativity towards Wilson-he is doing a decent job.

Some were guilty of dodgy loss of possesion at times, but equally some excellent passing and movement.

Feels like Powell and staff really know what they are doing. There was lots of direction from the dug out.

Watford didn't seem that much better, other than perhaps having a few more players that looked very comfortable running with the ball.

Ref had a good game.

Overall good day worth the trip. Good atmosphere too.
  • Options
    Excellent Job by the manager, coaching staff and the players, for a useful point.

CP went with the 5-3-2 to 3-5-2 system again, against Watford's 5-2-3 to 3-4-3. Surprised that Watford played only two in central midfield, but that suited us, with Stephens the spare man in a 3 v 2 contest in the central areas. CP gambled on having the spare man in midfield, against Church & Kermorgant stopping the Watford 3 man defence getting out, which they did very effectively. The team defended the halfway line really well and limited the space for Watford to play through the midfield third for a good hour. CP 1 Zola 0.
    Zola changed the pattern of the game after 60 mins at 0-1, when the introduction of Anya opened up our left side, as Wiggins struggled to contain the Iriney/ Anya combination on that side with little support. But he just about held on and managed to get through it. Watford had the better of the last half-hour, particularly in the spell just after the equaliser. CP 1 Zola1.

An excellent hard working team effort from the players. I thought the draw was a fair result. We caused them problems going forward and they wasted a number of good openings with poor shooting in particular. The last ditch challenge by Wilson on Forestieri, when he was about to score from six yards out, was a key moment in the game.
  • Options
    I'm in Bermuda on holiday and I just followed the match thread (5 hours after the game finished) without knowing the result and I must say what a great job Seth and RedMidland did. And what a result. Very pleased here in sunny Bermuda. COYR!!!
  • Options
    Good stuff!

Win at home and draw away is the repeated saying for success and with the new look formation we've done that successfully. 3-5-2 seems to work for us well but I'm not going to suggest this makes us world beaters. There were times in the game where the full back areas were exposed as the wing backs were pushed up the pitch. Luckily for us today Watford the "experts" in counter-attacking seemed to carry minimal threat when they got into the final third. But this may be punished in other games and is something to keep an eye on.

After a great, spirited and hearty performance I realise that almost all of my post so far has been negative! Lets rectify that!

Midfield dominated the first half and Powell had clearly done is homework and he knew that the way you stop the free-flowing football of the "Golden Boys" (err?) is to be physical and get stuck in. We did that and never let Watford feel comfortable in possession.

To continue on the midfield 3, Jackson makes a massive difference to our team when he plays, he breaks up play, keeps the ball ticking and gets the team going. We've missed him when he's not played. One of my biggest plus points of the last two games is Dale Stephens, it's very exciting to see some of the talent that he quite clearly has.
    Bradley Pritchard. What a man, what a player. I don't know how he does it but he just does not stop and he must be an absolute pain in the arse to play against. The perfect player for a team like Watford. Ditto, Simon Church. Top fella. (I've decided to ignore the alleged punch!).

Kermorgant was superb today. We're seeing a new him with the new system because it lends itself to playing on the ball on the floor. I think Kermy is even better with the ball at his feet than in the air! He's been driving at both the defences of Leicester and Watford and he looks dangerous.

I thought Piggott looked slightly below par on his cameo and for a tall guy he won virtually no headers at all. Some of the criticism was a joke however! Cousins did his job for the last 5.

The defence. I thought Dervite got into the game from the off and disagree with the poster that said he took a while to get going although he did have one naive moment where he attacked a ball that bounced in front of him and then proceeded to continue its loops straight over his head to a Watford player. Morrison was back to his old self, he should be very proud of that performance! He's bounced back from his poor performances and the calls for him to be dropped, which is great to see. I thought Wood looked (understandably) nervous. I think he looked shaky when faced which one on ones and headers, but in fairness he was often the last line of defence to deliver a huge clearance. He was not poor though, just average whilst others were good.

The wing-backs played well. Wiggins is carrying some of his old threat of bombing forward and he seems to enjoy being freed up on the left hand side. Although he was not at his best when dealing with his winger one on one. Wilson was very pleasing, he played his part for the team today working his nuts off and was vital to everything we did on the right hand side.

Hamer didn't really have much to do, but looked much more assured and commanding in his area whilst claiming corners and crosses. I think he pulled off a good save where the Watford player got there first and wasn't really to blame. Although perhaps you would like to see it parried away from the danger area. I will have to watch it again though.

The fans were superb today, whereas Watford's were not heard once. I genuinely feel that it makes such a massive difference to the performance and the players really seem to appreciate it. The support was mentioned by Church on twitter and every player came to applaud the fans at the end.

A point well deserved.

Well done CAFC.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Have a look at this.

Some of the most deluded fans in football if i have seen them. They had their chance last season and blew it. These lot are a poor mans Leicester. For those that were there did they dive as much as they did in both last seasons games.

http://www.wfcforums.com/showthread.php?49128-Watford-FC-vs-Charlton-Athletic-14-9-2013/page4
  • Options
    I was sat 2 rows from the front but too much at ground level to really see how it all panned out, although great view of the pen !!

I thought the back 5 played really well, with Wood & Morrison both snuffing out their attacks with ease. Watford are a good passing team but once we got bodies behind the ball they couldn't get past us. I don't think Yanns injury will be much but may well be rested on Tuesday - maybe to be replaced by Sordell as I thought Piggott was a bit out of depth. He tried hard but never really got into the game.
  • Options

Good point and sounded as if the team performed well. Green, Dervite and Wilson in particularly.

Green?? Where did he play?
  • Options
    Draw was the maximum I hoped for today, and am delighted to read the reports from those that were there today. I think CP is getting it together again after an understandably shaky start to the season.
  • Options

Good point and sounded as if the team performed well. Green, Dervite and Wilson in particularly.

Berkshire

• Options
    A bit lucky with the pen, but a draw was probably right on balance.
    Pritch really earned his wages today - my MOM.
  • Options

Shaun Newton ‏@SNewts7
    Well done to Powelly and the CAFC boys! Good point.

I think if the manager believed in the squad a little, we might win this type of game - he must use the bench better.
  • Options

Got subbed in the 72nd minute - replaced by former crowd favourite, Izale McLeod (who got an assist).

• Options

Oops! I meant Wood.
  • Options
    The trip on Church was definitely a red in my opinion. Ref may say he pushed ball wide, but there was not enough pace for him not to run on to it to have a 1 on 1 with the keeper (goalscoring opportunity). I Thought we really frustrated them and looked the most likely in the first half - we got an early goal in the second and were a bit more cautious in the second which gave them a couple of chances and the goal but I think we continued to frustrate them.

JJ missed a great opportunity to snatch the points at the end but think it was on his wrong foot. Hard to fault any players - Pritchard was his usual self, some poor balls and some good ones, excellent build up play with Wilson for the penalty, which was as cast iron as you get and he was all over the pitch. I thought Stephens was lively too.

Overall I think a draw was a fair result. Watford certainly didn't deserve the 3 points!
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    The guy who brought Church down also conceded the penalty and should have been red carded.
  • Options
    and their fans are having a go at the ref?!
  • Options

Shaun Newton ‏@SNewts7

I think if the manager believed in the squad a little, we might win this type of game - he must use the bench better.
    really
  • Options
    Croydon said:

I'm not a Stephens fan at all but thought his delivery from set pieces today was superb, the corners were really fizzed in. Wilson was frustrating again but apart from that a solid team performance. Pritchard MOM for me for sheer work rate.

Watford looked dangerous on every break and we were lucky to not concede inside the first minute or so. I would've happily taken 1-1 beforehand so I'm more than pleased with the result. Great atmosphere aswell.

Not contradicting this observation but if the owners truly want us to push on to challenge for Prem status then in the nicest possible way we would be looking for MOM to be based on quality of play not work rate.

Really enjoyed the total experience and in particular standing throughout the match in row W!!!
  • Options
    edited September 2013
    JonnyK said:

Croydon said:

I'm not a Stephens fan at all but thought his delivery from set pieces today was superb, the corners were really fizzed in. Wilson was frustrating again but apart from that a solid team performance. Pritchard MOM for me for sheer work rate.

Watford looked dangerous on every break and we were lucky to not concede inside the first minute or so. I would've happily taken 1-1 beforehand so I'm more than pleased with the result. Great atmosphere aswell.

Not contradicting this observation but if the owners truly want us to push on to challenge for Prem status then in the nicest possible way we would be looking for MOM to be based on quality of play not work rate.

Really enjoyed the total experience and in particular standing throughout the match in row W!!!
    I disagree with this - Pritchard has a work rate that is prodigious - It brings major benefits to the side and having a player like him - probably the best at doing what he does in the leagues, isn't a negative because his qualities stand out!

They are clutching at straws blaming the ref - we have more to complain about than them and they seemed equally as dirty as we did!!!!
  • Options

Shaun Newton ‏@SNewts7

Good point! Cousins oozes class and would have been an impact sub with 20 for BP or JJ and a far greater experienced MS and not The Pig as the Hornet CBs had too many tricks in terms of sneaky obstructions/checks etc. The young man will have received an education but this was a game that could have been nicked near the end.

• Options
    I think we had Watford in a stranglehold and allowed them to get into it a bit because we had a goal to defend. It wasn't as bad as Palace last season, but I do believe that we would gain more points than we lose by being a little less cautious!
  • Options
    Watford's steak and ale pie was a bit costly but it was lovely. Would have been lovely if could have held on but it's a good point none the less.
  • Options

Took this video just after we scored not the best quality i know, i got a old iphone 3GS http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ANiZcXejtww

Are we now modelling our support on the Palace Ultras?
  • Options

Are we now modelling our support on the Palace Ultras?