Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Watford vs. Charlton - Post Match Views

Comments

• Options
    just seen we had 62% possesion against Watford
    I know possesion is useless when it comes to the final score, but 62% against Watford? thats amazing
  • Options
    edited September 2013
    Excellent point. Sounds like we played well & thoroughly deserved the draw. Now let's go for our first away win of the season at Huddersfield on Tuesday.
  • Options
    Good and totally unexpected point. Starting wonder how long Bolton will put up with Sordell sitting on the bench doing nothing.
  • Options

Good and totally unexpected point. Starting wonder how long Bolton will put up with Sordell sitting on the bench doing nothing.

Nothing until January
  • Options
    Very good. Can fault no-one for effort. Yann had a great game. He played on after the knock but couldn't shake it. Doubt it is that serious. We could easily have gone further ahead at 1-0. For a shortish period I was worried we were enjoying ourselves too much and getting a tad reckless. Couple of their players got more into it as we tired and started running from deep but they were generally wasteful when in good positions.

3-5-2 suiting us very nicely for now but will be interesting to see how we adapt if/when come up against a manager that knows how to counter it.

Watford fans will curse the ref but he really had a very good game. Fair from the off but let a lot go fussier refs would have pulled the game up for. However, surprised we didn't see a red card today. Church seemed to be through in first half and was tripped but the guy was just given a yellow. Both Stephens and church got a talking to at other points when both on yellows. The game overall had a derby feel about it and was a good contest that the ref responded well to.

• Options
    Good point against our automatic promotion rivals
  • Options
    Would have settled for a point beforehand. A good result away from home and a good performance by the sounds of it.

Onwards and upwards.
  • Options
    Stephens played well but was very lucky to stay on after his booking.

Our strength was the midfield (all three centre midfielders had good games) although there was very little goal threat from open play.

We kept possession well and most players had decent games but Church struggled to get into it and Dervite was very hesitant for the first hour.

On the whole, it was a fairly mundane affair. Lots of neat football from both sides but not a lot of end product.

A draw was a fair result and a win would have been a bit fortunate.
  • Options
    we handled them well enough

but thought they were still more dangerous than us

fullbacks could have been used more

won nothing air up front after yan went off

good atmosphere in our bit
  • Options
    Always disappointing to get pegged back, 2 points dropped compared with last year. Oh well, onwards and upwards. COYR's.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    A good performance and a well deserved point overall. We contained them pretty well and always carried some threat against a vulnerable Watford defence.

A fairly even first half, in which I thought Pritch had a stormer, covering an enormous amount of ground. Watford responded well to going a goal down and the substitute wing back, Anya, who came on after an hour, caused us a lot of trouble with his pace and energy down the right. We did start to look a bit "leggy" as the game wore on, but still managed to create a few dangerous situations around their box.

Overall, a very satisfactory afternoon's work and an enjoyable and civilised away trip.
  • Options
    I cannot really argue with the result.

Non-event of a first half we only really got going once Anya came on so fair play.

We didn't really test your goalie enough and looked lightweight at times.

Least we didn't lose this time..;)
  • Options
    dizzee said:

2 winnable games this week

Every games winnable. Technically.
  • Options

Non-event of a first half we only really got going once Anya came on so fair play.

You going to put your scores for the CAFC players on that thread ?
    ;-)
  • Options
    Thought Church should have been sent off in that scuffle he got yellowed in. Thought I saw him throw at least one punch at his marker. Lucky to stay on the pitch. Otherwise a good performance against a fluid side. Penalty incident was about 20 yards in front of me. Definite pen and great finish by Yann. Overall a welcome point!
  • Options

Don't you be coming on here and being all reasonable :-)
  • Options
    Kap10 said:

Don't you be coming on here and being all reasonable :-)

Just have to be honest sometimes...

The bloke next to me did suggest both players could have gone for the mini punch up first half but suspect the ref wasn't sure and went for the safe option.

• Options
    Cannot stand Watford these days. What a two-bob club, from their fans to their players.
  • Options
    The first half scuffle was down the other end, so couldn't see what happened. A fair point, a bit surprised Sordell didn't come on against his old club, but it seems Powell sees Pigott as a deputy for Yann (though he didn't win much in the air after he came on)
  • Options

Cannot stand Watford these days. What a two-bob club, from their fans to their players.

Agreed. Remember last season when they came to the Valley, bunch of tarts.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Church definitely threw a proper punch and I was shocked he got away with a yellow. Was convinced that meant he was going to pop up with the winner.

Thought everyone was good today but Lawrie Wilson, Pritch and Yann probably the best. Rhoys a bit below par again.

Thought Piggot looked a bit out of his depth when he came on but that was no excuse for some of the abuse he was getting from some blokes around me. Madness.

Also was shocked the ref didn't immediately award the penalty and seemed to hesitate and check with the Lino before blowing. I don't think you will ever see a more blatant penalty. Yann's blast in the top corner immense.

Other thoughts from today -

* Given the banning orders being thrown about am surprised smoke bombs are still making an appearance, some people are mad!

* That flick back across goal from Yann midway through the second half was exquisite. Reminded me of the Hartlepool goal in technique.

* If only that low cross that fell to JJ had been on his left foot not right. Rather than skewing it wide I suspect we would be on here discussing the win!

* I'm really warming to Church (despite the punch throwing). SCP called it right - he's a proper Charlton player
  • Options
    Took this video just after we scored not the best quality i know, i got a old iphone 3GS http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ANiZcXejtww
  • Options

Church definitely threw a proper punch and I was shocked he got away with a yellow. Was convinced that meant he was going to pop up with the winner.

Thought everyone was good today but Lawrie Wilson, Pritch and Yann probably the best. Rhoys a bit below par again.

Thought Piggot looked a bit out of his depth when he came on but that was no excuse for some of the abuse he was getting from some blokes around me. Madness.

Also was shocked the ref didn't immediately award the penalty and seemed to hesitate and check with the Lino before blowing. I don't think you will ever see a more blatant penalty. Yann's blast in the top corner immense.

Other thoughts from today -

* Given the banning orders being thrown about am surprised smoke bombs are still making an appearance, some people are mad!

* That flick back across goal from Yann midway through the second half was exquisite. Reminded me of the Hartlepool goal in technique.

* If only that low cross that fell to JJ had been on his left foot not right. Rather than skewing it wide I suspect we would be on here discussing the win!

* I'm really warming to Church (despite the punch throwing). SCP called it right - he's a proper Charlton player

Piggot getting abuse is laughable. Some of our fans are utter pricks. Luckily nearly all of them, aren't.
  • Options
    Do think Sordell should have come on ahead of Piggott today
  • Options
    What's the extent of Kermorgant's injury?; I heard a report that he was "carried off". It's inevitable he'll get a battering this year. I fear a long period without him; ignoring the pros and cons of Pigott, a stretch without Yann would be a huge loss.
  • Options

What's the extent of Kermorgant's injury?; I heard a report that he was "carried off". It's inevitable he'll get a battering this year. I fear a long period without him; ignoring the pros and cons of Pigott, a stretch without Yann would be a huge loss.

He wasn't carried, he walked. I reckon he'll be rested on Tuesday but back next week, didn't look too serious. Once he signalled to the bench he wanted to come off they didn't exactly rush and he still played on for a while albeit hobbling so hopefully Le Beast will be back for the big one on Saturday.

• Options

Kermorgant carried on playing on what looked like a dodgy ankle...would have benn better he came off earlier as some big games coming up...hoping he recovers quickly as the last knock was nasty
  • Options
    Enjoyable away day. Pretty much everyone played their part, although pigott looked a little out of his depth.
  • Options
    Just as with the Leicester result this was totally unexpected for me , more than pleased to take a point from Vicarage Road and with Lomas working his magic a good day all round.
    For those at the game did we look like we had 62% possession or is it yet another load of old BBC bollox

0% top 6........... 18% 7th-12th .............. 72% 13th-21st .......... The big R 10%
  • Options
    I'm not a Stephens fan at all but thought his delivery from set pieces today was superb, the corners were really fizzed in. Wilson was frustrating again but apart from that a solid team performance. Pritchard MOM for me for sheer work rate.

Watford looked dangerous on every break and we were lucky to not concede inside the first minute or so. I would've happily taken 1-1 beforehand so I'm more than pleased with the result. Great atmosphere aswell.