Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Charlton v Leicester City | Sat 31st Aug 2013| Match Preview, Teams, Predictions, News & Views

Introduction

After a bizarre wet afternoon at the Valley last weekend, Chris Powell and his Addicks will be looking forward to some sunny conditions if the weather forecasted stands correct. Despite the weather stopping the match at the Valley against Doncaster last weekend, the Addicks would have been relieved to have avoided a potential defeat as Rovers lead 3-1 at half-time. In addition, the midweek Capital One cup 3-2 defeat Huddersfield would have disappointed Powell especially after their promising first half display.

This weekend, Charlton welcome Leicester who in contrast to the Addicks, have started the season excellently and are currently 2nd place behind Blackpool who have a better goal-difference.

The Opposition

Powell’s old side Leicester have looked very strong so far this season despite the Foxes not strengthening their squad too much from last season, where they made it to the Play-Off semi-finals where they were beaten in dramatic fashion by Watford.

In their last fixture, Leicester defeated Carlisle 5-2 away at Brunton Park with striker Chris Wood scoring a hat-trick which would have pleased manager Nigel Pearson as his side try to retain their brilliant start to the season.

However, it did take the Foxes until the 78th minute to equalise against Birmingham in their last league fixture, which then saw Leicester grab two more as the game resulted in a 3-2 victory for Pearson’s side.

Player to Watch

After his hat-trick in midweek, it has to be New-Zealand International striker Chris Wood who is the player to watch this weekend. The ex-Millwall loanee has a great scoring record for Leicester with Wood scoring 14 goals in 28 appearances. He’ll be against a Charlton defence that has yet to keep a clean sheet this season, so a punt on Wood scoring this weekend wouldn’t be a bad idea.

The Line –Up

For probably one of the first times in Chris Powell’s spell as Charlton manager, he will be debating who to choose at the back for the Addicks as they have yet to keep a clean sheet this season.

Hamer will continue in goal and if Charlton opt for a 4-4-2 formation then Solly and Wiggins will occupy the full-back roles. Despite his shaky start, Morrison will probably continue alongside Leon Cort in the centre of defence.

One big positive for the Addicks this weekend is the return of skipper Johnnie Jackson who completed 85 minutes against Huddersfield in midweek. Jackson will probably be in the middle alongside youth-product Jordan Cousins who impressed in his first start against Doncaster last weekend.

Bradley Pritchard is likely to keep his place on the right, while Callum Harriott will probably continue on the left. Yann Kermorgant will be hoping to score against his old time for the third time this weekend and he is likely to be partnered by Wales International Simon Church upfront.

The Prediction

1-1 draw.

Comments

• Comfortable home win 4-0.
  • 1-3. Too much for us at this moment.
  • Oh dear. 0-3.
  • 4 2 loss
  • 2-3 loss. We will be 2-0 up with 10 to go and boom.
  • Nobody can honestly say we are good enough to beat this lot. 0-3.
  • Powell sticks with 3 - 5 - 2 and is roundly slated for being "boring and negative" despite one point from a nil nil lifting us out of the bottom three.

Hamer (makes first ever save of career)

Cort Morrison Dervite

Solly jackson pritchard Cousins Wiggins

Kermorgant Church
  • Please God not 4-4-2. We will be humiliated. Lets be realistic and look for point to double our season's total.

Park the bus. Tie down the hand-brake. Apply road-clamp. Take wheels off. 0-0 at half time would be a bonus.

Hamer

Solly Cort Wood Wiggins

Dervite

Pritchard Hughes Cousins Jackson

Church
  • Morrison should be dropped.

I'd try Church and Sordell up front together. I love Kermorgant but its worth a try.

1-3 defeat. Losing faith.
  • Sponsored links:

• We'll be lucky to escape with a draw.

The only chance we have is to pack the midfield and hope we can nick a goal from a counter.
  • Think about Pritchard in the centre of midfield, dont think he has the traits of a natural winger, like Wilson or Green, despite neither really impressing so far. Cant help but feel neither have ever had a stretch of games in the team. Nevertheless, ashamed to say i can see a hiding on the basis of both how Leicester have been playing and the quality of the squad. 3-1 Leicester
  • In all seriousness i cant see anything but misery in the next 2 weeks....0-4 to leicester i am afraid... Hamer gifting them the first after sustained pressure.
  • I cannot see our season kick starting on Saturday, 1-3
  • Kermorgant has to play against Leicester, not only has he never lost against them, he has scored in every single game he has played against them ;)
  • we wont get lucky against them this season

1-4
  • I dread to think what's gonna happen on Saturday. Still, it's young Addicks day and McMoist Junior is looking forward to the match come what may...onwards and upwards
  • Seem to do okay vs Leicester, 2-0 home win, Yann motm and we get our first clean sheet of the season
  • we wont get lucky against them this season

1-4

Not much luck involved when we beat them at their place.

• Sponsored links:

• have no idea why...but fancy us to take this 3-1...match thread from 2 pm
  • Nobody can honestly say we are good enough to beat this lot. 0-3.

were last year, twice.

agree with the preview team selection and scoreline, 1-1

• edited August 2013
    Powell sticks with 3 - 5 - 2.

Hamer (makes first ever save of career shout to his defenders NOT at them)

Cort Morrison Dervite

Solly Jackson Pritchard Cousins Harriott

Kermorgant Church

Very nervy 2-1 win.
  • I like the look of that starting line up with Jackson back, ridiculous how reliant we are on him. 1-1.
  • Somehow, I don't know how, after a complete battering, many lucky escapes, unfairly disallowed Leicester "goals", a very generous penalty to the addicks, a Leicester sending off, in front of a worried and frustrated 11,000 crowd, on a shit looking pitch, after going behind to the Foxes.......we scrape a 2-1 win. Trust me, Charlton always manage to confound all logic. Lose to the crap teams, win when it isn't expected. That's why I love 'em.
  • Davo55 said:

Trust me, Charlton always manage to confound all logic. Lose to the crap teams, win when it isn't expected. That's why I love 'em.

This.

I remember travelling to Leicester away last season after losing 3 and drawing 1 of the last 4 I think, couldn't have dreamed of a result ... then look what happened. We can win!

COYR!
  • Nervous game but win 3-2. Yann hat trick and 93rd minute winner.
  • edited August 2013
    2-0 to us, and will be 2 very lucky goals and leicester will be all over us
  • 0 - 2 We are a long way from being ok.
  • Purely based upon the evidence so far, we are stuffed. Having said that football is a funny old game and I predict 1-0.