Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

***Button sold to Brentford***

Comments

• Options
    It could be a good move for all parties. Not sure Powell knew a great deal about it though.
  • Options
    edited July 2013

I wonder if the £200k fee for Button was based on appearances or if it was upfront? If so then we may not have paid £200k for him and could have done some good business with Brentford here.

Fingers crossed for Obika and / or Fuller now with Pigott and Azeez as 4th and 5th choice forwards. I'd be happy with that.

sorry, but a line up of Yann, Fuller, Obika, Pigott & Azeez would feel me with dread !! I'd be very surprised if they would get 20 goals between them.
  • Options

I wonder if the £200k fee for Button was based on appearances or if it was upfront? If so then we may not have paid £200k for him and could have done some good business with Brentford here.

Fingers crossed for Obika and / or Fuller now with Pigott and Azeez as 4th and 5th choice forwards. I'd be happy with that.

sorry, but a line up of Yann, Fuller, Obika, Pigott & Azeez would feel me with dread !! I'd be very surprised if they would get 20 -25 goals between them.
    Did they last year then? BWP and Haynes contribution was minimal. Goals will also come from the rest of the team just as they did last season,
  • Options
    Richard Lee is injured. Button straight into side.
  • Options
    edited July 2013
    WSS said:

If selling Button frees up cash to pay for three players then we've wasted a hell of a lot of money in the past 12 months on him.

What I mean, is that IF we got "our" £200K back for Button, then that is £200K plus his wages, that can be spent elsewhere. So perhaps, £200K plus £5k per week ?

This could hopefully pay for wages for Obika (loan) & Church (free) & then if we have a little spare possibly Fuller's reduced wages. Don't forget Smith went out on loan today as well.

• Options
    edited July 2013
    Good luck to young Button. If it was Solly or Wiggins then losing your best backs would be maybe time to panic, but losing your ressie keeper, when you can get another keeper on an emergency loan within 24 hours, is not the end of the world.

Interesting comments re the deferred payment to the Spurs, but if this has not been payed then surely we would be in a transfer embargo?
  • Options
    Maybe we sold him to pay a bill. Wouldn't surprise me.
  • Options
    Wasn't massively impressed with Button, but a good back-up keeper. Fair play to him wanting first team football. if he wanted to go and we needed the money then this seems reasonable business. Doesn't sound like Powell wanted him to go but financially and players wishes his hands were tied.

Good luck Button.
  • Options
    edited July 2013

Therefore, someone signing this week is likely to be paid next month..........so why all this "Button has been sold to free up wages" nonsense - unless the football business is run by a load of Arthur Daley's and Delboys and need to be paid cash in hand and up front !!

Oh leave off Golfie. If you're running at a massive deficit that you can't maintain, you don't take on more debt (wages), until you've off loaded some for certain. I believe you're a Financial adviser ?

• Options

razil said:

Just wonder if some of the general lack of movement in the Championship is being affected by ffp driving long term wage offers down? (Not wishing to contradict Prague here)

I'm sure that FFP has put a chill on the market, Raz. I just don't think it explains our desperate striker situation.

FFP will restrict the likes of Leicester, Ipswich, Boro and Forest who look like they might struggle to come in under the £8M loss limits...
    So in theory they may be offloading players and won't be bidding... take four big spenders out of the picture and salaries are only going in one direction...
    Which should make it easier to sign the striker(s) we want for the right package... Lets see what pans out
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    it wont be the strikers we want it might get the strikers we can afford.
  • Options
    edited July 2013

it wont be the strikers we want it might get the strikers we can afford.

Isn't that the right way to do business though?

I would like to know what we can afford!

• Options
    Gulp. Whip round for a roll of cotton wool for Ben?
  • Options
    Hmm, don't think there was any embargo placed on us. Surely if it got that bad we could've paid off the 200k with the "six figure fee" we received from the Shelvey deal.

I don't think this Button sale shows we're in dire straits, but rather cutting an unnecessary cost (backup keeper playing under 10 games a season) to make room for another area. By the use of the word reluctantly it makes me think this was really pushed through by the player and not the club, which is understanding from Button's perspective.
  • Options
    Brentford Manager Uwe Rösler said: “We always felt we had to have a Plan B in place in case we had offers for Simon Moore. Over the summer we had goalkeepers in on trial and we made lists and enquiries in case Simon left. That happened this week and with Simon going out the door, there is an opportunity for someone to come in. We decided David was the perfect choice for us. He is at the right age and he is very hungry to make the number one spot his own. As soon as Simon left, David was our first choice. He is the only player we enquired about and the only player we made a bid for. We did not at any stage make any enquiries or bids for any other goalkeepers. David will face strong competition for the goalkeeper spot from Jack Bonham and Richard Lee, when Richard is fit again. We are very strong in the goalkeeper department. We have been strong there over the past two seasons and are even stronger this year. I look forward to working with David and our other goalkeepers. I believe it is very important to have match winners in both penalty areas. You need strikers to win matches and goalkeepers to win matches. Richard Lee and Simon Moore have won matches for us; goalkeeper is a crucial position and David is a very good player. I am very happy with the signing.”

• Options
    As is the case nowdays, we find out about our players comings & goings from the other club.........
  • Options
    Good luck to Button at Brentford. His flappyness on the few times I saw him play was probs down to age.
  • Options
    And he's just conceded 2 in 16mins against Cardiff
  • Options

And he's just conceded 2 in 16mins against Cardiff

Phew! Sold him just in time.

;o)

• Options
    Brentford fans will be writing him off as we speak.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    has the cheque cleared
  • Options
    Pope is more than capable. He will improve as he gains more experience and will eventually develop into the first choice keeper.

Only seen him a couple of times. Handling, Positioning, Footwork, Agility,all very good, just needs to add a bit of strength.

I think Button has been allowed to go, to allow Pope to step up from third to second choice. Button became surplus. He was disappointing when he got the chance last season, when Hamer was left out.

• Options
    Don't think this is of great significance. With hindsight, signing Button was a mistake. It made no sense to pay 200k (plus wages) for a reserve keeper unless he was viewed as an exceptional bargain. The fact that he's now gone to Brentford tells us he wasn't. Good luck to him.

Unfortunately, from the owner's perspective, this transfer and, arguably, today's loan deal for Smith, may not inspire confidence in the Club's skill in the transfer market. I know that might be controversial.
  • Options

How much did we pay for Button ? 400k rings a bell but I never believed it then.

All fees are undisclosed - if £400k was correct then that would presumably be after x appearances and a sell on etc. I'm presuming/hoping that this brings in some cash for Obika.

• Options
    Sounds like the 200k would have gone straight to Spurs. Seeing as it was only due in June it was probably still outstanding. It will free up a bit in wages though. I hope we don't sign another keeper. I'd prefer to take a chance with Pope and then loan if one of them gets an injury.
  • Options

How much did we pay for Button ? 400k rings a bell but I never believed it then.

All fees are undisclosed - if £400k was correct then that would presumably be after x appearances and a sell on etc. I'm presuming/hoping that this brings in some cash for Obika.

Actually BFR Airman confirmed the fee was 200k which became payable in June 2013

• Options
    Doubt Brentford will have paid 200k.
  • Options
    As if we'd pay 400k for a back-up keeper. Does anyone have any, any real idea what we will have received from Brentford? Considering they just sold their first choice keeper to a Premiership side I could easily see it being more than we paid for Button, if only a little bit. There's no way Brentford would sell Moore for £150,000 so there could have been a bit spare sloshing around for Brentford to pay us with
  • Options
    Good money then - and for a reserve keeper.

Let's hope nothing happens to Hamer just yet.
  • Options
    I read CP's 'reluctantly' comment as referring to the financial circumstances -in the same way that we 'reluctantly' had to sell Robert Lee for example.

Makes sense though - Button was probably one of the highest earners of those not expected to be first choice.