Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

***Button sold to Brentford***

edited July 2013 in General Charlton
Shifted out suddenly, possibly freeing some wages to get a striker deal over the line
http://www.cafc.co.uk/news/article/20130730-button-completes-brentford-switch-955084.aspx

Comments

• Brentford are our feeder club.
  • Bit of a surprise this one but Pope is highly rated. Like you said, hopefully frees up some money. Good luck to Button, he's a good goalkeeper.
  • undisclosed as usual
  • Good job - never really understood the need to have more than one top keeper at Championship level. Injuries are rare and it is a waste to have players picking up first team wages if they only play 6 games a season.
  • “We’ve reluctantly accepted the offer from Brentford and allowed David to move on,” said manager Chris Powell.
  • Hope he fastens down a first team place with them.
  • Bit out of left field but it gets us some wriggle room with wages and sounds like a fee.
  • Can't be much of a fee. Pope looks like he will be no2
  • Could it be enough of a fee to sign Obika?
  • Got to say, I thought Pope looked very inexperienced when he played against Bristol, and of course he is. Would be worried if he had to play an extended part this season. Young striker is one thing, goalkeeper? Good luck to Button, think he's too good to be a back-up.
  • Sponsored links:

• Wiggle room achieved.

Awaiting striker announcement now.
  • Bit far fetched , but could spurs have a sell on clause that they are willing to have for obika?
  • Button is far too good a keeper to play mumber 2.

Good luck to him.
  • cafctom said:

Good job - never really understood the need to have more than one top keeper at Championship level. Injuries are rare and it is a waste to have players picking up first team wages if they only play 6 games a season.

What a shocker !

Can't believe for one minute that SCP is happy with this . If Ben H should pick up a knock in training before Saturday, Nick Pope is thrust into the first game of the season on Saturday .

No disrespect for Nick but surely this is a nightmare scenario ?

Really wondering what the hell is going on behind the scenes at our Club .

Other Champ Clubs must be thinking the same & rubbing their hands.....
  • sammy391 said:

Bit far fetched , but could spurs have a sell on clause that they are willing to have for obika?

Actually, doesn't sound that far fetched at all.

• Pope hasn't impressed me though. Button then again, flattered to deceive also.... I hope we're not in that much shit that we are having to clear the decks ....
  • edited July 2013
    Good news as far as I'm concerned, Pope goes on the bench and if Hamer does get injured we loan in a goalkeeper until he's fit. As others have said hopefully means a striker or two will be signed.
  • supaclive said:

Pope hasn't impressed me though. Button then again, flattered to deceive also.... I hope we're not in that much shit that we are having to clear the decks ....

In what? 45 minutes?
  • Our club really is in a mess
  • How much did we pay for Button ? 400k rings a bell but I never believed it then.
  • Sponsored links:

• Or we just need the money? Powell is praying for Yann to not get injured during friendlies, now he's going to be fretting about Hamer potentially all season.

We shall see......
  • I'm a bit shocked but not too gutted. Surprised we brought him in the first place last season. Wish him luck.
  • Can't be much of a fee. Pope looks like he will be no2
  • supaclive said:

Pope hasn't impressed me though. Button then again, flattered to deceive also.... I hope we're not in that much shit that we are having to clear the decks ....

Clear the decks, supaclive ?

The Titanic comes to mind......

• Would of thought Button pressed for the move as he's guaranteed first team football. I'd like to see us bring in a more experienced No2. I really hope we do some business in the next few days, none of this is ideal so close to the start of the season!
  • Well it's one less player out of contract at the end of the season....
  • If Hamer is injured/suspended we can just get Carl Ikeme on loan. Or Neil Etheridge.
  • Never really seen enough of Button to be convinced either way, will be worried if Hamer follows suit.
  • They just sold a keeper so needed a replacement pdq.

sammy391 said:

Bit far fetched , but could spurs have a sell on clause that they are willing to have for obika?

Actually, doesn't sound that far fetched at all.

They may have bigger fish to fry at the moment than the sell on clause that may, or may not be payable on their former fourth choice keeper moving to the third division?
  • We'll try and get by with just Hamer and rely on an emergency loan if something happens to him.