Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Russians in for Charlton as Jimenez looks to sell to consortium

Comments

• Mike said:

Mike said:

Mike said:

Thanks again for your input Airman, it's appreciated by most of us I'm sure.

...now, where's that drawing board gone???

yeah cheers airman for coming on here saying a takeover is quite far into proceedings then a few hours later saying it collapsed last week!!
    Of course the information you provided was also really helpful.
    yeah id say it's more helpful to say nothing than say something that's not right.
    what was incorrect about what he said? He said due dilligence had been going on for a few weeks. Do you have any evidence that this was not the case? No? Then schtum.
    well if it collapsed on Friday, it's not in progress like he said is it?
    Did you actually read any of his posts ?

• probably would have been better without his input to be fair
  • nolly said:

probably would have been better without his input to be fair

Can't understand this at all. Why exactly ?

• Oh well time to put Hunt for Red October back in my video rack and cancel my subscription to Pravda...
  • can some of you not read. Airman has quite clearly said that he knew there were talks & once it was it the public domain, ie the newspaper article plus being on here, he felt free to say what he knew. Then, during the hours in-between he made some calls (which didn't need to do) and found out that the talks had collapsed. He then re-posted stating this.

Now, he could have said nothing at all or maybe he could have made those calls BEFORE posting his original post - but he didn't.

I just thank him for sharing what he did know, and hope that he continues to feed us any knowledge as & when he has any.

thank you Mr Brown.
  • Totally agree with golfaddick.
  • can some of you not read. Airman has quite clearly said that he knew there were talks & once it was it the public domain, ie the newspaper article plus being on here, he felt free to say what he knew. Then, during the hours in-between he made some calls (which didn't need to do) and found out that the talks had collapsed. He then re-posted stating this.

Now, he could have said nothing at all or maybe he could have made those calls BEFORE posting his original post - but he didn't.

I just thank him for sharing what he did know, and hope that he continues to feed us any knowledge as & when he has any.

thank you Mr Brown.

This
  • What Golfie said.

thank you Mr Brown.

This .....

Now Afka, he could have put this to bed two pages ago :)
  • Can i officially do a sex wee in expectation of being taken over by Russian millionaires or is this another false dawn ?
  • Sponsored links:

• Been offline today so read this thread from the beginning. Now I like my soap operas like anyone but I think this one had everything.

1) Startling revelation
    2) Initial excited reaction/over reaction
    3) Some doubt
    4) Some pertinent back story
    5) Insider info raising hopes
    6) Anticipation rises
    7) Hopes dashed
    8) BUT are they...........?

Bish Bash Bosh
    Dahn na na na na nah nah, nana nana nah, na na, nanan na na!
  • What Golfie said.

Exactly. Sadly, some people would rather just look to score points instead.
  • If the talks fell through then why did the story come out saying the opposite ? Makes no sense at all.

thank you Mr Brown.

Ditto.

Thanks Airman, your input is much appreciated right here.

I must say, my gut reaction in my first post to ask "Why is there so much point scoring against Airman Brown?" I understood when people felt annoyed when he was airing his grievances about his past employers, but it's just pathetic now - there's no need for the childish digs and petty pedantry. He posted what he knew, then went as far as to verify that this was still the case: when it wasn't, he duly reported that too.

Top notch effort from the guy to follow up on progress then report it back to us. He's the closest we get to understanding what's going on at the club right now - let's not ruin that.

Airman is true Charlton, and it's clear from the amount of people agreeing with golfie's post that there's a large majority that enjoy his views and input.
  • If the talks fell through then why did the story come out saying the opposite ? Makes no sense at all.

That's a decent question; but I'm guessing the journo's source wasn't quite aware of the outcome of Friday. (If it was indeed Friday that talks broke down) He could've been going off of only half the story.

I doubt they have access to anything more than the majority of us, and in some ways we've got access to more than them. (i.e Airman verified the talks had broke down within 2 hours of reading this thread)

I'm pondering whether there's any skeletons in the closet that are scaring off investors when, seemingly, talks progress to quite an advanced stage.
  • Cheers Airman. Anyidea why the deal collapsed?
  • When Airman was working for the club and had a great deal of inside knowledge and gave us an insiders view, everybody was very grateful for the information he provided us.
    It know seems that same people are very quick to jump on him if he gives us some more information because its either not as quick and detailed as it used to be, or people think he is trying to get back at the club for his termination/sack what ever you wish to call it.
    He still has contacts and I am sure will when needed provide us with reasonable information when he can. So, please lay off of him otherwise we will lose a very valuable sauce of information which we can with a fair degree of certainty rely on!
  • Come to think of it, why do the deals always collapse? DD means it's quite far along, doesn't it? And yet it never happens. It would be nice to know why the deals fail, although sometimes I think my preference would be for blissful ignorance of the whole boardroom thing.
  • Vincenzo said:

Come to think of it, why do the deals always collapse? DD means it's quite far along, doesn't it? And yet it never happens. It would be nice to know why the deals fail, although sometimes I think my preference would be for blissful ignorance of the whole boardroom thing.

Not all deals collapse - if they didn't we'd still be owned by the Gliksten's.

I wouldn't blame anyone for walking away from a potential purchase of a football club having looked at the books. Charlton are considered a reasonably well run club and yet made a loss of £7.5m last year and despite FFP I can see another year/two of losses ahead of us unless we get promoted, have a cup run or discover the next Lionel Messi in the reserves. Given all that anyone buying a football club has to be certain that they can shoulder reasonable losses for several years.

• Leaving this particular rumour aside, let's try and look at things that we do believe to be true. Last season, the pitch was allowed to become a disgrace, was this significant in our rubbish home form ? Mr. Slater talked about pumping in money to keep us afloat. At the moment we go to Welling in six days without one new signing. Published figures apparently record a £7 million plus loss. We are all expecting our youngsters to have to play a big part this season, but there are question marks about Chris Powells willingness to use them.
    Surely this is enough to assume that Tony Jiminez does not have the capacity to launch a serious promotion initiative, and therefore might be seriously looking for new owners. If you accept that, and if you believe Airman when he talks about negotiations, and if you consider our geographical location, our fine Stadium, our potential support, and a fine Academy, should we be too cynical ? I am keeping an open mind in the hope that things will eventually become clear.
  • Sponsored links:

• edited June 2013
    Seems Mr Cash is more successful at selling houses to rich Russians than he is football clubs
  • Thanks AB, seriously bad news that the DD has fallen again. So how much do we really owe and to whom?
  • DD works both ways maybe we pulled away from the deal.

Should that post be on the Jokes thread ?
  • Sorry, but my stupid mate wants to know what DD means...
  • Due Diligence rob

No, it's negotiations that work both ways, quite why a seller should be doing DD on a company they are selling is beyond me, but whatever...

• BIG_ROB said:

Sorry, but my stupid mate wants to know what DD means...

Due diligence.

A process by which a buyer has a poke around the books to see exactly what they are buying.
  • Due Diligence rob

Yeah, that's what I told him but he didn't believe me ; )
  • edited June 2013
    Vincenzo said:

Come to think of it, why do the deals always collapse? DD means it's quite far along, doesn't it? And yet it never happens. It would be nice to know why the deals fail, although sometimes I think my preference would be for blissful ignorance of the whole boardroom thing.

It's important to bear in mind that both parties to a deal have hurdles to jump. The owners can't just sell to anyone they like, because the banks among others have a charge on the business and its assets.

Experience suggests that most people who appear to be looking to buy football clubs are a few pence short of a shilling. Most interest doesn't get as far as due diligence. All of which is why it's perfectly understandable that the club doesn't disclose interest being expressed or progressed, although that's not the same as claiming no willingness/intention to sell. It was a bit different when it was a public company.

What I've been told is that in this case the would-be buyers failed to measure up rather than the club. However, that line has ultimately come from the club itself, so whether it is true I don't know.