Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Charlton fans and Freemasons

1234568»

Comments

• Options
    There are Ladies Lodges.
  • Options
    Church-Lane,

Thanks for that. A sensible, open and level-headed response with plenty of answers to questions.

You should have posted 5 pages ago as it would have saved a lot of time : - )
  • Options
    Thanks for the explanations chaps.
  • Options
    masicat said:

There are Ladies Lodges.

Isn't that just a euphemism
  • Options

As a mason myself, I thought I'd put my two penneth in.

Off_it - As you keep asking, I thought I'd take the opportunity to answer insofar as I can. The "mysteries and privileges" referred to are really nothing to get excited about. The mysteries refer purely to the parts of our ceremonies, certain words used therein, allegorical meanings and the teachings of the various degrees in masonry. The privileges refer to the ability of a mason to learn those mysteries as he progresses through the various stages of masonry. These "secrets" are clearly what sets us apart from non masons and is obviously what causes such distrust among those who are not members, but I can assure you that there is nothing sinister or untoward in any of our actions as a faternity. Quite the opposite in fact, we are dedicated to charitable works and being good members of society. Of course, plenty of non masons (in fact the majority of people in our society, I suspect) exercise those very same characteristics, it's just that we have decided to join a club which extols them as virtues.
    The "craft" referred to is purely another name for masonry, almost certainly inherited from the time when stonemasons lodges were in place, and people who practices the same "craft" would meet as a society.

Very much like Masicat, I have been a mason for a number of years, and like him I am an atheist. Unlike Masicat, I sometimes question whether my atheism should preclude me from being a member of a society which requests its members to believe in a supreme being, particularly as that society is based also on brotherly love, relief and truth.
    However, i reconcile that with the fact that what I really believe masonry to be is a group of people who share the same principles as myself and any speak of religion in itself is of no consequence whatsoever.

I think that the point about royalty, the judiciary and police being members of lodges, and that leading to suspicion is well made and is understandable, but as in other areas of life, we are moving towards a somewhat more transparent society and membership of organisations such as ours, if not being discouraged, is at least being disclosed more and more.

There is an oft cited view that masons only help other masons! Not true! Apart from all of the charitable work we do and donations we make, people are discouraged from joining purely for peciniary gain and this is explained quite clearly to anyone expressing an interest. Of course as we operate a particular social circle, it is inevitable that one mason may be able to help another because he can provide a skill or service, and maybe that can be provided at "mates rates", but is this any different from the same happening at a golf club, rotary club, working mans club, pub or knitting circle? I don't think so. I'm sure that there have been times when the membership of a lodge has been abused in some way, but in general, this would be frowned upon and if discovered, the members involved might be expelled. Once again, I can't see this as any different to other societies, clubs, social circles. As for members of the upper etchelons of society using the membership of a lodge to plot and scheme for whatever reason, I can't say it doesn't happen, but would like to believe that those people have joined for the same reason I did.

Anyway, I hope I've been able to explain a little more. If anyone wants more information, please feel free to PM me.

Good post, you dont seem as defensive either thank you :)
  • Options
    edited June 2013
    Reading this read this thread I realized that I am also a member of a Freemason type group. We are not nation wide, just local to the area. Admittedly it was initially my idea but the rules were formulated in a democratic fashion. Like the Freemasons we keep some stuff secret, but it is always to the good of others. We also raise money for good causes, provide free legal advice, promote harmony within the community etc,etc. We also do some weird shit to raise awareness of local issues, but it's mostly very funny and is appreciated by the vast majority. The bottom line is we have fun whilst bringing a little joy into people's lives.
  • Options
    Great post Church-lane. Not defensive or condescending but informative. Thanks.
  • Options
    @church-lane

that's an excellent post, and sums up as a non-mason exactly how i view it. Thanks for posting.
  • Options
    edited June 2013
    The way the thread was going, I was a bit hesitant about posting about my being a Mason. Anyway, this year I am the master of my lodge for the second time, and my over-riding experience with Freemasonry, apart from meeting some fantastic people, learning to live my life via a moral code, and all the charitable work that has already been mentioned, is having to learn tons and tons and tons and pages and pages of passages and speeches from our ritual book that have to be delivered verbatim during a lodge meeting. In fact, my real experience, is constantly bricking it that I'll make a mistake during the ceremony. So there you go. No conspiracy theories, just people being incredibly nervous that they're going to muck up a ceremony in front of everyone. That's my experience anyway.
  • Options
    I like the idea of a golf club without the golf.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    I think that is a common feeling @hawksmoor. I can imagine though, like a nervous mate giving a best man speech, that everyone else is there for them and wanting them to do well.

Hope you enjoy your year in the chair.
  • Options

As a mason myself, I thought I'd put my two penneth in.

Off_it - As you keep asking, I thought I'd take the opportunity to answer insofar as I can. The "mysteries and privileges" referred to are really nothing to get excited about. The mysteries refer purely to the parts of our ceremonies, certain words used therein, allegorical meanings and the teachings of the various degrees in masonry. The privileges refer to the ability of a mason to learn those mysteries as he progresses through the various stages of masonry. These "secrets" are clearly what sets us apart from non masons and is obviously what causes such distrust among those who are not members, but I can assure you that there is nothing sinister or untoward in any of our actions as a faternity. Quite the opposite in fact, we are dedicated to charitable works and being good members of society. Of course, plenty of non masons (in fact the majority of people in our society, I suspect) exercise those very same characteristics, it's just that we have decided to join a club which extols them as virtues.
    The "craft" referred to is purely another name for masonry, almost certainly inherited from the time when stonemasons lodges were in place, and people who practices the same "craft" would meet as a society.

Very much like Masicat, I have been a mason for a number of years, and like him I am an atheist. Unlike Masicat, I sometimes question whether my atheism should preclude me from being a member of a society which requests its members to believe in a supreme being, particularly as that society is based also on brotherly love, relief and truth.
    However, i reconcile that with the fact that what I really believe masonry to be is a group of people who share the same principles as myself and any speak of religion in itself is of no consequence whatsoever.

I think that the point about royalty, the judiciary and police being members of lodges, and that leading to suspicion is well made and is understandable, but as in other areas of life, we are moving towards a somewhat more transparent society and membership of organisations such as ours, if not being discouraged, is at least being disclosed more and more.

There is an oft cited view that masons only help other masons! Not true! Apart from all of the charitable work we do and donations we make, people are discouraged from joining purely for peciniary gain and this is explained quite clearly to anyone expressing an interest. Of course as we operate a particular social circle, it is inevitable that one mason may be able to help another because he can provide a skill or service, and maybe that can be provided at "mates rates", but is this any different from the same happening at a golf club, rotary club, working mans club, pub or knitting circle? I don't think so. I'm sure that there have been times when the membership of a lodge has been abused in some way, but in general, this would be frowned upon and if discovered, the members involved might be expelled. Once again, I can't see this as any different to other societies, clubs, social circles. As for members of the upper etchelons of society using the membership of a lodge to plot and scheme for whatever reason, I can't say it doesn't happen, but would like to believe that those people have joined for the same reason I did.

Anyway, I hope I've been able to explain a little more. If anyone wants more information, please feel free to PM me.

Excellent. I do think I wore them out though !
  • Options

Addickted said:

Bromley Addicks AGM

Sold all my freemasons medals and stuff. Not all it was cracked up to be but each to their own. No problem with it.
    Would love to know what medals they were?
  • Options

Reading this read this thread I realized that I am also a member of a Freemason type group. We are not nation wide, just local to the area. Admittedly it was initially my idea but the rules were formulated in a democratic fashion. Like the Freemasons we keep some stuff secret, but it is always to the good of others. We also raise money for good causes, provide free legal advice, promote harmony within the community etc,etc. We also do some weird shit to raise awareness of local issues, but it's mostly very funny and is appreciated by the vast majority. The bottom line is we have fun whilst bringing a little joy into people's lives.

Pouring 1000 gallons of liquid LSD into Ladybower reservoir doesn't count as "bringing harmony into peoples lives" you do know that don't you?
  • Options

Pouring 1000 gallons of liquid LSD into Ladybower reservoir doesn't count as "bringing harmony into peoples lives" you do know that don't you?
    Now he tells me!

• Options
    http://justaskone.org/
    this is a web site for those who might be interested in joining Freemasonry
  • Options
    My favourite Mason
  • Options
  • Options
    I thought it was/is a fancy system for a mates rates cash in hand culture. If you refuse they hang you off Blackfriars Bridge.
  • Options
    seth plum said:

I thought it was/is a fancy system for a mates rates cash in hand culture. If you refuse they hang you off Blackfriars Bridge.

Superb post. Can't stop laughing.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    cafcfan said:

As no one has answered my question, I looked it up and apart from a few breakaway organisations the Lodges coming under the auspices of the United Grand Lodge of England, that is, almost all of them, still don't and probably never will accept women into their society.
    So, comments above such as "anyone can join" and it's "about a group of people who meet", are clearly wide of the mark as around 50% of the popluation are barred simply by being the wrong sex!
    Setting aside any other consideration, I can see no reason why anybody of either sex would want to belong to such a misogynistic organisation.

Good point. There's something distasteful about exclusion on the grounds of gender. It makes me wonder: what are they being defensive about? What are they hiding?

• Options
    Join the Trust and find out!
  • Options
    Need some masonry work done on my house.......................Can't beat free..............which free masons are up for it?
  • Options

cafcfan said:

As no one has answered my question, I looked it up and apart from a few breakaway organisations the Lodges coming under the auspices of the United Grand Lodge of England, that is, almost all of them, still don't and probably never will accept women into their society.
    So, comments above such as "anyone can join" and it's "about a group of people who meet", are clearly wide of the mark as around 50% of the popluation are barred simply by being the wrong sex!
    Setting aside any other consideration, I can see no reason why anybody of either sex would want to belong to such a misogynistic organisation.

Good point. There's something distasteful about exclusion on the grounds of gender. It makes me wonder: what are they being defensive about? What are they hiding?

Like the Womans institute
  • Options
    edited June 2013
    What do you make of this/:

http://freemasonrywatch.org/1index.html

Bit more than an old boys' club?
  • Options
    Can i join thw WI without a sex change or even with one what are those dirty suburban minxs up too
  • Options
    All of my lot that are in it have actually improived themselves due to the LOI etc etc but there is a flip side in that one of my mate's got off a 4 year bit of bird when everyone else in the case got banged up and he was the nonly mason as was his brief and the judge - you do the math.