Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Pubs, and the demise of.

Comments

• Options
    See that the spoons is closing at Lee Green.
    Oh really……that’s very very surprising, I thought it was doing well and has been the most well attended pub in Lee ever since it opened.
    If true, it will be music to the ears of the owners of The Lord Northbrook and The Old Tigers Head.
    Different clientele in both. Northbrook is pricey and Tigers is students and culturally diverse. The spoons was neither.
    That’s true Suzi…….but it’s still a big competition out of the way.
    Yes, I don’t think it will increase The Lord Northbrook clientele 
    that much but I reckon The Old Tigers Head will see a fair increase.
    Not forgetting Duke of Edinburgh of course.
    The Lord Northbrook is miles away, almost nearer to Grove Park.
    How little are your legs? It’s no more than 7 min walk. 
    Yep, 7 mins according to Google Maps.
  • Options
    Off_it said:
    Oh really……that’s very very surprising, I thought it was doing well and has been the most well attended pub in Lee ever since it opened.
    If true, it will be music to the ears of the owners of The Lord Northbrook and The Old Tigers Head.
    Different clientele in both. Northbrook is pricey and Tigers is students and culturally diverse. The spoons was neither.
    Yep, 7 mins according to Google Maps.
    There we go then, and google maps tends to err on the side of little leg slow coaches. 
  • Options
    I take it all back, I got it wrong.

I'm 5'10 btw
  • Options
    Latest bit of government Hansard re alcohol duty on link below. 

I note labour MP Abena Oppong-Assare visited the Standard in Belvedere as part of her research.  They are struggling with energy bills and have reduced their hours - like 70,000 other venues. 

Not sure if the government's belated, muddled reforms on duty will be enough to save our pubs. 

https://hansard.parliament.uk/Commons/2022-12-19/debates/09640FC2-3665-475A-BE99-8DC56D27A3B0/AlcoholDuty#contribution-473C2234-D897-461D-9E55-F35D2F2E972A
  • Options
    edited December 2022
    Actually about 450 yards I’d say.
  • Options
    Prince Arthur was my pub of choice when I lived in Lee Green, great little pub yet it was the first to go.
  • Options
    edited December 2022
    Well we went in all 3 when we lived in Lee....but your right they are 3 totally different places. That was before the Northbrook was done up (2009-10). For what it's worth we quite liked living there (Leyland Road) very quiet and just 7-8 min from the station, not to far from Blackheath either.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited December 2022
    My dad lived in Lee as a teenager. Used to say the Northbrook was a rough spit and sawdust type pub. This is back in the early 60s. For me when I started to know it 15 years ago he couldn't believe the transformation.
     It's been done up again since. 

My fav in that area, bit of a walk up towards blackheath is the dacre arms. 

Lee green spoons was busy but never looked appealing even when I lived in the flats across the way from it. 
  • Options
    The village I live in, population about 2 thousand has just lost its only pub.

For years it has been utterly shite, more of a cafe/diner with an understocked bar attached.  It opened 3 days a week, then 3 evenings, then 2 evenings, then just if you were lucky.

A couple of miles away is a proper traditional village pub in a village stuck down a tiny side road, population around 200, does a good trade.

Can't work it out.
  • Options
    Curb_It said:
    Arse and sick... classic smells.  
    We used to go in there all the time back in the day but the smoke clearly masked the odours. The leather booth seats up the back are absolutely vile. There is no fresh air circulating at all. Plus I asked if they did Chenin Blanc once, not that fussy either way as long as the wine is cold I’ll drink anything, but only asked as I like it and the bar man said ‘you mean Sauvignon blanc’ I said ‘I don’t, but it’s fine if you don’t have it’ he said ‘ you won’t get that anywhere round here’ we drank our drinks and left and walked to the tigers where lo and behold they served me a Chenin Blanc. Without the accompanying odour. 
  • Options
    My dad lived in Lee as a teenager. Used to say the Northbrook was a rough spit and sawdust type pub. This is back in the early 60s. For me when I started to know it 15 years ago he couldn't believe the transformation.
     It's been done up again since. 

My fav in that area, bit of a walk up towards blackheath is the dacre arms. 

Lee green spoons was busy but never looked appealing even when I lived in the flats across the way from it. 
    I used to live in Lee Church Street, around 1975, then I was too young to drink but went back years later, it was nice.
    Max Wall used to drink there so I'm told.
  • Options
    Well we went in all 3 when we lived in Lee....but your right they are 3 totally different places. That was before the Northbrook was done up (2009-10). For what it's worth we quite liked living there (Leyland Road) very quiet and just 7-8 min from the station, not to far from Blackheath either.
    Think Northbrook done up slightly later as we moved out of Lee in 2012 and it was still shite then. It closed recently again for another refurb but not been in to see what else they’ve done to it. 

We like going to the tigers now though. Show football and serve food. It’s a rare find these days and o’neills in Blackheath smells of arse and sick but it’s the only option in Blackheath for sport. 
    Sorry Suzi....I meant I lived in Lee 2009-10 yes Northbrook was done up several years later, I've not been in there since leaving Lee, a mate who lives in Lewisham told me it had been done up. 
  • Options
    edited December 2022
    Bournesnr said:
    Prince Arthur was my pub of choice when I lived in Lee Green, great little pub yet it was the first to go.
    Where was the Prince Arthur and when did it close.....just found some info....see below.

• Options
    I left the area in 1975 and soon after the guvnor (Rod) sold up and opened a bookies up by Lee station, my dad who still used the Arthur said it went downhill rapidly after that.
  • Options
    My mates (Levitt) mum and dad run it around 1984.
    They lived above I think, after moving off the Ferrier.
  • Options
    Was in Northbrook a few days ago - some family live near by and have used it on and off for years. For those that have not been there for a while its been done up lovely. Beer was nice (good selection too), food is nice, and staff are great. Not cheap but where is! Can get really busy at peak times. When I was there we had a lovely seat by a real log fire.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Was in Northbrook a few days ago - some family live near by and have used it on and off for years. For those that have not been there for a while its been done up lovely. Beer was nice (good selection too), food is nice, and staff are great. Not cheap but where is! Can get really busy at peak times. When I was there we had a lovely seat by a real log fire.
    That's good to hear...was a bit of a dive when we lived near by but we strangely liked it.

• Options
    Bournesnr said:

Likewise, when I worked in Lee Green in the late 70s. Fell out of there many times!!
  • Options
    The village I live in, population about 2 thousand has just lost its only pub.

For years it has been utterly shite, more of a cafe/diner with an understocked bar attached.  It opened 3 days a week, then 3 evenings, then 2 evenings, then just if you were lucky.

A couple of miles away is a proper traditional village pub in a village stuck down a tiny side road, population around 200, does a good trade.

Can't work it out.

Our village has a population of about 1,000 and has two pubs - one a more traditional family type pub and the other sat on the banks of a canal and more of a foodie place, although that one has new owners who think they can compete with the other pub - they can't and it's dying on its arse. The food has gone downhill fast.

Demographics play a huge part in rural locations and more people tend to want decent food and will travel a few miles to get it. If I fancy a drink it's more likely to be at home and when we go out it's invariably for food. Those pubs in the area (3 mile radius) all do well as pub restaurants.

• Options
    Have the pubs fully demised?
  • Options
    Apologies if it's already been mentioned on this thread, but the Growler Tap in Dartford's a cracking place. 
  • Options
    Apologies if it's already been mentioned on this thread, but the Growler Tap in Dartford's a cracking place. 
    I've heard its a bit hairy in there.
  • Options
    Growler Tap? 😳🤣🤣🤣
    Where is it? Might have to pop in with Bruv when I’m over.
  • Options
    Just looked it up.
    Growler Stop where Avis used to be.
    Definitely going to take a look in there 👍🏼
  • Options
    Bottom of West Hill in the row of shops where Maison Maurice used to be, you’ll know where I mean if you lurked around Dartford in the 70s. Great choice of ale.