Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

The Ashes

Comments

• Options
    Great match, that.
  • Options

I heard a noise and I am sure that Haddin's bat touched the ball .. even so, an unsatisfactory end to a terrific game .. Surely if I heard the noise, the umpire should have heard it

He was never going to give it or any other appeal. if he got it wrong then England could correct it with a referral while Australia wouldn't have been able to.
  • Options

I heard a noise and I am sure that Haddin's bat touched the ball .. even so, an unsatisfactory end to a terrific game .. Surely if I heard the noise, the umpire should have heard it

Do umpires have the benefit of the stump mics like the TV viewers do?

• Options
    edited July 2013
    Funny, I heard a click , I guess there's a microphone somewhere which feeds into the telly which the umpires don't hear. They've just showed snicko and it was nailed on.
  • Options

That noice you heard is what I believe bat clipped pad.
    When you look at the angle from straight on though, his bat was nowhere near his pad.
  • Options

Absolute nonsense. The bat was 8-10 inches from his pad.

• Options
    WSS said:

Do umpires have the benefit of the stump mics like the TV viewers do?

in live play the on field umps have no aids at all .. the bat was nowhere near the pad, the sound (to me @ least) was quite audible and distinctive .. unfortunately, the review procedure has made cowards of the umpires .. split second decisions which can be analysed ad nauseum
  • Options
    I thought out straight away to be honest. Was surprised we didn't appeal with more conviction.
  • Options

Absolute nonsense. The bat was 8-10 inches from his pad.

The old dear has turned it over need to see it again, but that was my first thought
  • Options
    Blimey. Just blimey.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Never any doubt (gulp) Arise Sir Jimmy
  • Options
    Stunning game & a thrilling conclusion. Haddin was obviously out. Why does the 3rd umpire not get the benefit of Snicko? That was the conclusive evidence of the wicket.
  • Options
    Any England fans wish that broad walked now?
  • Options
    Enjoyed that, test match cricket can be the most exciting television there is, especially when England and Australia are locked head to head.
  • Options

Any England fans wish that broad walked now?

Ha ha, yes it was notable that neither Clarke nor Haddin walked when they both clearly knew they had edged the ball. Thankfully DRS got them both. Clarke needs to learn not to waste reviews; Broad would have gone if he had had a review left.

• Options
    With regard to the noise and the umpire not hearing it, we heard the noise through the stump mic which is much closer to the action than the umpire.
  • Options
    Never in doubt. I always thought England would win :-)
    Haddin was out, you clearly heard the snick.
    I'm glad Broad didn't walk yesterday, as we were 150 runs worse off through the Agar decision.
    Great game, great win.
    Can't wait for Thursday & especially Saturday (thanks again Riviera).
  • Options
    Its harder to differentiate between pad and ball when it is an inside edge is why maybe more of the fielders didn't go batshit crazy

DRS males the umpires job easier, id rather they gave ones like that as not out as opposed to having an educated guess
  • Options
    Feck me, how is my arsehole going to make it through four more Tests?

One for the Stattos, for two of the wickets I was getting a drink refill and the other two I was having a piss!

For the winning wicket I had to stagger back to the lounge in a most undignified way.
  • Options
    Living in the States I was following this on Cricinfo. What a test. :-) You can stick yer 20/20 up yer bum.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited July 2013

Stunning game & a thrilling conclusion. Haddin was obviously out. Why does the 3rd umpire not get the benefit of Snicko? That was the conclusive evidence of the wicket.

Because snicko takes a couple of minutes to produce a result. Hot spot, replays etc are far quicker and invariably just as reliable.
  • Options

Feck me, how is my arsehole going to make it through four more Tests?

One for the Stattos, for two of the wickets I was getting a drink refill and the other two I was having a piss!

For the winning wicket I had to stagger back to the lounge in a most undignified way.

Quick suggestion - for the rest of the summer, every time it's looking a bit tense Ormy - get up and go for a piss. Let us know when you're about to do it as well, so we can get ready to celebrate a wicket!
  • Options
    mart77 said:

With regard to the noise and the umpire not hearing it, we heard the noise through the stump mic which is much closer to the action than the umpire.

That was how I read it - there was a fair amount of background crowd noise and the umpire may simply not have heard something that was evident to us at home.

• Options
    I don't get how the commentary team missed it. I heard it hit the bat straight away, in real time. They didn't even mention the noise after three replays - even when they mentioned the TMO wanted to hear the audio. Only issue would have been if that noise was bat brushing pad, but it clearly wasn't.
  • Options
    i find it hilarious that those that shite themselves during football matches are scared during a cricket match as well

have faith in your team unless its the England football team then don't bother watching it
  • Options
    I don't get how the commentary team missed it.

Because they were too busy jabbering about how tense it was becoming.
  • Options

I don't get how the commentary team missed it. I heard it hit the bat straight away, in real time. They didn't even mention the noise after three replays - even when they mentioned the TMO wanted to hear the audio. Only issue would have been if that noise was bat brushing pad, but it clearly wasn't.

Yep thought the same , thought I was going mad and because of the lack of conviction from the England appeal thought oh he may have hit the ground or his pad(for the hotspot as well) and then when the head on view was shown that was nowhere near and the sound matched with the ball passing the bat
  • Options

I don't get how the commentary team missed it.

Because they were too busy jabbering about how tense it was becoming.

Also, Atherton was too busy trying to stir up some nonexistent 'controversy'.
  • Options
    Sod the cricket LordRomford - how many games are we from safety / play offs ?
  • Options
    As was pointed out later in the day, both Clark and Haddin both instantly turned to see if the keeper took the catch, you just don't do that if you don't think you've hit it.
This discussion has been closed.

Roland Out Forever!