Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Football Violence at the Weekend

Comments

• Options
    Charlton v Palace Play Off Final next month will be the flash point that brings it to the head, we'll win but be relegated before the season starts again due to shouting offensive chants and standing up through the match.

On a serious note, Brighton v Palace or in cloud cuckoo land us v the nigels will be a "fun" day out, with no other teams playing in London that day due to the season being over if we do somehow sneak in the playoffs let's get ready for one last kettling before the end of the season.
  • Options

J BLOCK said:

Not to forget Rochdale v port vale, where a Rochdale fan ran over 5 blokes are after a row in the pub

Yep heard about that as well, and Bristol C v Bolton...

Still, at least we can all stop giving Ollie Holt the time of day now.
    Why the ollie holt thing?

• Options
    If hooliganism is a social problem and not football, how come other sports don't have crowd problems?
  • Options
    razil said:

ban away fans for certain problem clubs, wonder how quickly that would sort things out?

Yeah, what could possible go wrong?!

• Options
    edited April 2013
    As the media have now got a new disgrace to talk about... (although there is evidence this one existed!)
  • Options

If hooliganism is a social problem and not football, how come other sports don't have crowd problems?

They probably would do if football shut down
  • Options

rugby league has. Cricket has had some problems,but usually football lads involved and not on a large enough scale to warrant media attention

• Options

J BLOCK said:

Not to forget Rochdale v port vale, where a Rochdale fan ran over 5 blokes are after a row in the pub

Yep heard about that as well, and Bristol C v Bolton...

Still, at least we can all stop giving Ollie Holt the time of day now.
    Oldham and Bury aswell apparently,some minor trouble before yesterday's semi-final according to some aswell

• Options

Football is the one combining factor that brings these things together

It is and always has been and has never gone away so there is an elemant of truth in the statement from MT however it is also a social and government issue

Let's get things right though hooliganism at football moved away from terraces and into more organised and planned incidents mainly because the cameras that OB have made that the case since the 90s when the UK went CCTV mad it made it easier to pick up on it

Now the way I see it is that no matter where you do it you will get picked up on camera so people no longer see CCTV as a deterrent and are now not so conscious of them and will start to continue closer to grounds again

Much like the financial issues faced by football clubs it will take a club to be hit hard before any sort of decrease on incidents will be seen

I don't agree that sanctions against football clubs are fair as they punish the vast majority of decent fans who attend and support clubs.
    All motorist are not banned from driving when someone is convicted of drink driving or all pubs are closed when a couple of thick heads get scrapping in their local.
    The problem is courts do not punish hard enough those responsible for public disorder.

The stewards at Wembley on Saturday had to leave the fighting to the Police when the situation became a public order offence.
  • Options

We need the courts to severely punish any law breakers. Attending a football match should be safe for everyone.

That's not the real problem.
    What you'll find is that a court will punish a hooligan sufficiently so that the majority will stay away or settle down because a bit of bird or losing your job is enough to knock some sence into most people.

The problem with millwall in particular is that each time they're in the spotlight for playing up either;
    A. They blame someone else or B. They give the old "oh the clubs worked so hard and it's a minority ruining it for everyone"

Quite frankly a few west ham fans getting tickets for their fiercest rivals big day out is just plain wrong. Why would any WHUFC want to be in amongst that?!
    Always someone else's fault isn't it?
    Maybe they should look back only to 2012 when we went to the den and surprisingly there was fans in home stands kicking off with eachother then too.

• Sponsored links:

• Options
    Pompey v Millwall aswell.

The point about it being the business end of the season was right tbh. Pompey, Bradford, Oldham and probably Port Vale taking big followings. Bristol City v Bolton was always going to kick off after the game at Bolton.

But I don't think some people will ever completely understand why 20 18 year olds would want to travel half way across the country and kick off with Sunderland for example, 18 was probably the average age of aload of West Ham who got nicked for doing said thing. Then you've got those who should know better...
  • Options
    Disabled fan bottled at Arsenal v Norwich
  • Options

We need the courts to severely punish any law breakers. Attending a football match should be safe for everyone.

Think you'll find they do.

Throw a few punches outside a pub on a Friday night... Get a fine.

"Acting in an agressive manor" at football (don't even have to throw a punch)... People have got two years for that.

Why the difference?
  • Options
    The penalties for misbehaving at football are what most will agree, extremely harsh in comparison to other misbehaviors elsewhere.

So why is it there is a constant stream of idiots willing to completely disrupt their own, families and most often kids lives, and face the modern day press / social network humiliation, over something so pathetic ?

Its not a case of saying 'you don't get it' because you are right, I don't. I could when it was a 100 fine, a slap on the wrist and at worst a tiny corner mention in the News Shopper.

But to risk jail, and effectively your life, career and family over something so insignificant, well, you must be bonkers.
  • Options
    bonkers-great word there AFKA
  • Options

So why is it there is a constant stream of idiots willing to completely disrupt their own, families and most often kids lives, and face the modern day press / social network humiliation, over something so pathetic ?

Mob mentality + excessive alcohol.

• Options
    edited April 2013
    millwall fans fighting amongst themselves at one of the newest most cutting edge stadiums in Europe, in front of thousands in ground and millions worldwide.
    They deserve what is coming their way.
  • Options
    edited April 2013
    teddy boys---mods---rockers--skins---mods again----skina again---rude boys---hoodies

the scum that riot during and at the end of political marches-----why dont those c++ts get two years ?

been going on for 50 years minimum
  • Options

The penalties for misbehaving at football are what most will agree, extremely harsh in comparison to other misbehaviors elsewhere.

Its not a case of saying 'you don't get it' because you are right, I don't. I could when it was a 100 fine, a slap on the wrist and at worst a tiny corner mention in the News Shopper.

But to risk jail, and effectively your life, career and family over something so insignificant, well, you must be bonkers.

Mob mentality
  • Options

The incident I mentioned was 3 miles from Brighton's ground while the game was being played also on a quiet residential street with no innocent bystanders or cctv except a woman filming from her top floor balcony which ultimately got them put away. Of course in the eyes of the law it's illegal but no one was actually affected except those willingly involved. I could think of a thousand worse things going on that are worthy of 2/3/4 year sentences.

RE Why people do it? alot of youngsters with nothing to lose who want to be involved in something... After that scientific studies have failed to grasp why it happens.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Who got two years for acting in an agressive manner?
  • Options
    Jarman said:

millwall fans fighting amongst themselves at one of the newest most cutting edge stadiums in Europe, in front of thousands in ground and millions worldwide.
    They deserve what is coming their way.

The sad thing is I doubt anything is coming their way, the gin swigging brigade at the FA will not upset any apple carts and Millwall will trot out the "we will ban any fans found guilty" blah, blah, blah.
  • Options

Pompey fans should be ashamed of that behaviour more than most to celebrate the saving of your club by taking the piss in a very non offensive club like brentford is disgusting

Just goes to show that if the club is to be run by fans they better shape up quick

I have little sympathy for Pompey already and things like that make me wonder of the right decision was made allowing them to stay alive

Cracking post that.

• Options

Who got two years for acting in an agressive manner?

Was at the Aberdeen Brighton friendly not long ago, I'll refrain from posting the link but a quick google search would bring the article up.

2 Years three months for 'running down the road acting agressively'.

2 Years for posturing and goading.

13 months for receiving a text message.

They were some of the sentences handed out.

• Options
    edited April 2013
    So Tottenham fans went to a Brighton v Aberdeen game for pre-arranged, organised fight, many with previous convictions for violence, were caught on camera and got heavy sentences.

Good

If you read the article it does not say that the convictions were for "getting a text" or for "posturing and goading".
  • Options

So Tottenham fans went to a Brighton v Aberdeen game for pre-arranged, organised fight, many with previous convictions for violence, were caught on camera and got heavy sentences.

Good

I noticed it was Spurs fans, the laughable thing is if you took the time to watch the video it was more like strictly come dancing, they should of all been banged up for impersonating football violence.
  • Options
    There's no way you can get sent down for receiving a text message. If I sent you a text message, no matter what the contents, you couldn't get sent down.

The only way I can see the reception of a text message causing this would be as part of a conversation, person 1 texts person 2 suggesting an illegal activity, and then person 2 replies in that they thinks that's a great idea. Then it become conspiracy to commit a crime, incitement to violence, etc. But just receiving a text in isolation isn't a criminal offense, otherwise anybody could get anybody else arrested and sent down whenever they felt like it.
  • Options
    Aberdeen match

Albion’s match that day did not even involve Tottenham Hotspur.

Brighton and Hove Albion were playing Aberdeen in a pre-season friendly. The Scottish side’s fans had arranged for Tottenham Hotspur followers to come to the city in their stead.

The clubs’ supporters have a “reciprocal agreement” under which Aberdeen is supported if it plays in southern England, out of range of its own fanbase.

When the sides clashed in Albion Hill and Grove Hill, at about 4.20pm Sussex Police received 27 999 calls.

Several of the Tottenham Hotspur thugs were already subject to football banning orders.

Some had been involved in major hooliganism cases, involving Chelsea, Charlton, Arsenal and West Ham fans.

Yesterday Judge Rennie gave each of the defendants a six-year football banning order, except Lauder-Hawkins and Hagenstede who were slapped with similar orders last year.

Chief Superintendent Graham Bartlett said: “I hope the sentences will deter others who think its acceptable to act in a similar way.

“Most people enjoy football and their good behaviour should not be marred by a mindless minority who harm and scare others."

Richard Hebberd, head of operations at Brighton and Hove Albion, said: "Neither group had any real interest in the football match taking place a few miles away.

"We welcome the verdict and sentences handed down. The majority of our supporters are a credit to the club, and it is wrong for them to see their reputation tarnished by the actions of a handful of individuals.”

Read more details about the trial, convictions and events of July 31, 2010 in the two-page special report inside today's Argus.

http://www.theargus.co.uk/news/9508893.Video__Football_thugs_jailed/
  • Options
    Our TV and radio stations daily report interethnic and religious strife & warfare, genocide, rapes, massacres, multi car pile ups, child rape and gang murder: all this grief and hardly a hair is turned, a mere 'tut tut, oh dear, what IS the world coming to' .. a few punch ups involving pissed up football fans and/or the police and it's treated like the apocalypse is waiting around the corner .. methinks we need a sense of perspective here.
  • Options

Our TV and radio stations daily report interethnic and religious strife & warfare, genocide, rapes, massacres, multi car pile ups, child rape and gang murder: all this grief and hardly a hair is turned, a mere 'tut tut, oh dear, what IS the world coming to' .. a few punch ups involving pissed up football fans and/or the police and it's treated like the apocalypse is waiting around the corner .. methinks we need a sense of perspective here.

Put that on the Millwall Excuses Bingo thread and it's a full house.

: - )