Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Football Violence at the Weekend

Here we go, the Press is set out to demonise football. According to some parts of the media it is a football problem and not a general social problem.
When Margaret Thatcher pulled in Ted Croker she asked him what he intended to do about his hooligans. His response was something akin to " with due respect Prime Minister, they are your hooligans not ours and we do not want them".
I am not trying to start another Thatcher thread as I guess the question would have been put to him by any leader. Having a quiet pint at the weekend or trying to, people were telling me that football in general is a disgrace and needs to put its house in order. Hence quiet pint ruined.

Comments

• Options
    Football is the one combining factor that brings these things together

It is and always has been and has never gone away so there is an elemant of truth in the statement from MT however it is also a social and government issue

Let's get things right though hooliganism at football moved away from terraces and into more organised and planned incidents mainly because the cameras that OB have made that the case since the 90s when the UK went CCTV mad it made it easier to pick up on it

Now the way I see it is that no matter where you do it you will get picked up on camera so people no longer see CCTV as a deterrent and are now not so conscious of them and will start to continue closer to grounds again

Much like the financial issues faced by football clubs it will take a club to be hit hard before any sort of decrease on incidents will be seen
  • Options
    Might as well get used to it with 3k Cardiff fans travelling to premier league grounds next season
  • Options
    An interesting weekend and when you factor in the hype of the Wembley semi-final, I can't remember one in recent years where so many relatively high profile incidents have occurred, particularly the top two.

Millwall v Wigan
    Newcastle v Sunderland
    Everton v QPR
    Brentford v Portsmouth
    Chesterfield v Bradford

As Chris says, Cardiff will give the PL prawn sandwich brigade a fright next season, not to mention adding another derby to the list.
  • Options
    What happened at everton?
  • Options
    edited April 2013
    So how many football fan related arrests were made this weekend?
  • Options

An everton fan was stabbed
  • Options

An interesting weekend and when you factor in the hype of the Wembley semi-final, I can't remember one in recent years where so many relatively high profile incidents have occurred, particularly the top two.

Millwall v Wigan
    Newcastle v Sunderland
    Everton v QPR
    Brentford v Portsmouth
    Chesterfield v Bradford

As Chris says, Cardiff will give the PL prawn sandwich brigade a fright next season, not to mention adding another derby to the list.

I would not want to be Cardiff's first away fixture.
  • Options

Allegedly QPR were fighting each other and a young Everton fan ended up getting stabbed (he's ok) after becoming embroiled in it - whether he joined thinking it was Everton v QPR and/or QPR thought he was one of theirs as well has been suggested.

The stabbing appears to be true (local media coverage) but whether the circumstances are who knows.

• Options

So how many football fan related arrests were made this weekend?

By the time you get the 6 o'clock knocks from the Newcastle town centre stuff and the battle of Wembley, way way into 3 figures I would've thought... knocking on for 200 ish?
  • Options
    pettgra said:

Millwall v Wigan
    Newcastle v Sunderland
    Everton v QPR
    Brentford v Portsmouth
    Chesterfield v Bradford

I would not want to be Cardiff's first away fixture.

I can imagine Cardiff will be getting a lot of lunchtime kick offs next season. Can't see police in London, Manchester or Merseyside having them at 3pm saturday.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Seemed to be pretty bad at Brentford v Pompey as well. On Bees forum they are saying loads of Pompey in the New Road stand giving it to everyone and then they invaded the pitch at the end causing quite a few problems. Apparrently there were loads of Pompey locked outside during the game as well.
  • Options

Football is the one combining factor that brings these things together

It is and always has been and has never gone away so there is an elemant of truth in the statement from MT however it is also a social and government issue

Let's get things right though hooliganism at football moved away from terraces and into more organised and planned incidents mainly because the cameras that OB have made that the case since the 90s when the UK went CCTV mad it made it easier to pick up on it

Now the way I see it is that no matter where you do it you will get picked up on camera so people no longer see CCTV as a deterrent and are now not so conscious of them and will start to continue closer to grounds again

Much like the financial issues faced by football clubs it will take a club to be hit hard before any sort of decrease on incidents will be seen

Good point. As you say some club will be hit very hard some day if it continues or gets any worse.
  • Options
    Pompey fans should be ashamed of that behaviour more than most to celebrate the saving of your club by taking the piss in a very non offensive club like brentford is disgusting

Just goes to show that if the club is to be run by fans they better shape up quick

I have little sympathy for Pompey already and things like that make me wonder of the right decision was made allowing them to stay alive
  • Options
    We need the courts to severely punish any law breakers. Attending a football match should be safe for everyone.
  • Options

We need the courts to severely punish any law breakers. Attending a football match should be safe for everyone.

They need to be arrested first, as shown at Wembley on Sat the old bill and stewards are happy to stand and watch to start with.
  • Options
    They'll be arrested over the coming weeks. The police have copious amounts of video footage (CCTV, TV footage, plus officers with cameras) so there was no need to wade in a make arrests immediately and potentially inflame the situation further. As we saw with the riots, there'll be plenty of arrests made as they analyse the videos.
  • Options

They'll be arrested over the coming weeks. The police have copious amounts of video footage (CCTV, TV footage, plus officers with cameras) so there was no need to wade in a make arrests immediately and potentially inflame the situation further. As we saw with the riots, there'll be plenty of arrests made as they analyse the videos.

This is all well and good after the event however it does not help to make things safe on the day for decent fans. We are shifting towards a society whereby it is common practice to allow people to run riot and break the law and then round them up 2 weeks later following a search of CCTV, Facebook and Twitter.
  • Options
    The punches that were being thrown at Wembley id imagine it would be hard to arrest anyone!

Some real shocking windmill arms on show.
  • Options

They need to be arrested first, as shown at Wembley on Sat the old bill and stewards are happy to stand and watch to start with.

I read that stewards aren't trained to deal with that, once things reach 'public disturbance' level or whatever they're advised to call the police over and stand back.

It is a society problem, these are the same dickheads you'd see starting trouble in a pub or club on a Friday night.

• Options
    @eaststandmike that is exactly what happens to a tee.

The English textbook of policing crowd violence/confrontational situations now says stand off, be armed to the nines with all the gear, batons, dogs etc. and get the video cameras out - let it escalate (within some reason), catch anyone and everyone on tape and then nail them afterwards. The idea is I suppose that if you baton charge in you inflame the situation and lead to further injuries.

Still do it the old fashioned way on the continent though!
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Would you try and break it up on £7 an hour?
  • Options
    football trouble gets worse in a recession shocker.
  • Options
    RedPanda said:

I read that stewards aren't trained to deal with that, once things reach 'public disturbance' level or whatever they're advised to call the police over and stand back.

It is a society problem, these are the same dickheads you'd see starting trouble in a pub or club on a Friday night.

There's no way stewards are going to pile into that... the heavies in the snatch squad maybe, but not your average spotty teenager at Wembley who tells people which row they are in or harrangs them about hanging a flag up.
  • Options
    Not to forget Rochdale v port vale, where a Rochdale fan ran over 5 blokes are after a row in the pub
  • Options
    J BLOCK said:

Not to forget Rochdale v port vale, where a Rochdale fan ran over 5 blokes are after a row in the pub

Yep heard about that as well, and Bristol C v Bolton...

Still, at least we can all stop giving Ollie Holt the time of day now.
  • Options
    Big games at the business end of the season.

You always get the odd time when it all blows up for a while and the press go mental.

Ultimately in the grand scheme of things next to nothing happens these days. It's always there but is so well contained by cctv and the threat of bans/prison. The fact it is so rare is why everyone gets excited when it does happen.

Also funny how the press are only interested when it's the prem league or big showpeice games. If they were that bothered they would report on the non-leage scene where its more rife.
  • Options

They are paid for fire drills.

Not everyone has Belmarsh's finest policing home crowds.
  • Options
    ban away fans for certain problem clubs, wonder how quickly that would sort things out?
  • Options
    razil said:

ban away fans for certain problem clubs, wonder how quickly that would sort things out?

You'd then end up with away fans buying tickets in home ends though which would be a catalyst for even more trouble.
  • Options
    Does Wembley not have the infamous response squad we have at the Valley?