Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Huddersfield v Charlton 2013 Post-match news & views

Comments

• Options
    Went to the game, very cold with fine drizzle throughout. Excellent training ground goal from Harriot, but overall the game was mediocre. Defence excelled, special commendation to Taylor, and Button made an excellent save in the first half. It reminded me again of several away games in Div 1 where we went 1-0 up, parked the bus and challenged the opposition to score. Huddersfield weren't up to it, although I was slightly worried when Lee and Ward came on as they have caused us problems in the past. Ward proved to be overweight and ineffectual, and Lee was his usual thuggish self, getting booked for a late challenge on Button.

Like many posters I was disappointed on Fuller's display. He is living on reputation at the moment and moaning far too much at the referee, instead of working for the team and getting into scoring positions. I have been concerned with Wilson's performances of late, but I thought he had a better game today, especially in the second half. Jacko and Pritch worked hard in midfield, but in a defensive mode rather than attacking. Substitutions worked well. Evina for Harriot stengthened the left and Evina got into the pace of the game straight away and gave excellent support for Wiggy. Dervite also did some good defensive work.

Not a great game, but a great three points and that happy feeling to last through the rest of the week-end!
  • Options

Scoham said:

Can someone give more info on Harriott? Is he a real left winger or a central player pushed wide? Seems to have a nice few tricks up his sleeve.

Definitely a winger. Not aware of the club ever using him centrally apart occasionally behind the striker(s).
    Thanks. Can't remember the last genuine 'tricky' winger we had.
    Nolly's favourite Lloyd Sam probably and Jerome Thomas before him.
  • Options
    Yann will be back for Millwall - drop Fuller and get him straight back in the team with Haynes.
  • Options
    Off_it said:

Funny how quiet it gets on the web and how certain people disappear whenever we win a game.

Very odd.

I'd wager a guess that having been proved totally, comprehensively & utterly 100% wrong they have lost interest now
  • Options
    LenGlover said:

Scoham said:

Can someone give more info on Harriott? Is he a real left winger or a central player pushed wide? Seems to have a nice few tricks up his sleeve.

Definitely a winger. Not aware of the club ever using him centrally apart occasionally behind the striker(s).
    Sam wasn't really a tricky winger, he started as a striker, I am thinking more in the Mark Robson mould, someone with fast feet who can take people on.

Still trying to work out what the hell Jerome Thomas was!
  • Options
    Powell to Leicester? I doubt it but we don't know what's going on behind the scenes, do we......my thoughts too OA
  • Options

LenGlover said:

Scoham said:

Sam wasn't really a tricky winger, he started as a striker, I am thinking more in the Mark Robson mould, someone with fast feet who can take people on.

Jerome Thomas was the ex Arsenal winger, playing on the left who had a good shot when cutting in from the left onto the right, which was great except that the other teams defenders knew this and doubled up and his threat was severely limited.

I understood that someone inexplicably offered 2.4 million for him when he had about a year of his contract left but that chump, Pardew wanted to keep him so we kept him and he left on a free. Played for West Brom after, but I didn't pay too much attention after that, saw him play for West Brom a couple of times, and he was much the same as for us.
  • Options
    vff said:

LenGlover said:

Scoham said:

Jerome Thomas was the ex Arsenal winger, playing on the left who had a good shot when cutting in from the left onto the right, which was great except that the other teams defenders knew this and doubled up and his threat was severely limited.

I understood that someone inexplicably offered 2.4 million for him when he had about a year of his contract left but that chump, Pardew wanted to keep him so we kept him and he left on a free. Played for West Brom after, but I didn't pay too much attention after that, saw him play for West Brom a couple of times, and he was much the same as for us.
    As you say Thomas was a one trick pony, the only saving grace was that we only paid£100,000 for him.
  • Options
    I think Pearson is a good manager he has done good things for Leicester I know they love SCP as does every club he seems to have been at

I don't think that he is in any danger and I think if he was the opportunity to get rid was around the Cardiff game where if the noises are to be believed people were thinking it

Right now I believe things are calmer reality is kicking in to what is a new phase for a new board

When we stay up I believe they will be happy with the return for their dough thus far

If the results of this season and the form was reversed that the home results out weighed the aways I don't think anyone would be moaning

Or even questioning
  • Options
    For those of you not there today that have just seen the ridiculous travesty of a report on FLS, we had the best chances. Who edited that crock?
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    I quite liked Jerome Thomas. His attitude was a bit rubbish when we went down but I thought he was a decent player at the beginning for us. I'm aware I'm in the minority on this site so I'll apologise in advance
  • Options
    I liked him to had some real quality but in spurts his attitude was never in question for me until we went down but I spose he just wanted to play prem football
  • Options
    Haven't read all the posts since arriving home but those at the game appear to have summed it up on the whole.

Solly's free kick and Callum's sweet strike in front of us was the perfect start.

But of course, we could guess what would follow....

A few thoughts to add to what's been said before...Backs to the wall on the whole but several decent runs on the left from our goalscorer. Great takes from Button who looked very comfortable to me. Sound defending from the back four with Taylor the stand out player. Battling performances from Pritch & JJ as always.

But a couple of negatives for me....Ric seems to be disinterested unless he receives the perfect ball to feet & was a carbon copy of his disappointing self on Tues evening. And an observation which my pals from E Stand, Block E will no doubt applaud : I thought Wilson was very poor and for the first time in my many years of watching the beautiful game, I could appreciate what is meant when a player "hides". With The Beast straining at the leash in the wings, I feel it's time to leave Lawrie on the bench, together with Ric when our pals from Bermondsey come to play next Saturday.

So, a fantastic 3 points which made the long trip well worthwhile - although I'd walk a million miles to see the gigantic smile on the gaffer's face when he came over after the final whistle.

Another clean sheet next weekend would be gratefully accepted : a goal or two would make for a perfect afternoon. And would ensure a few more season tickets flying off the shelves.

I'm not one to make predictions but I have a feeling in my water about this one.

And it's not cystitis ....

Onwards & Upwards !!!!
  • Options
    Great feeling fanny ;0)
  • Options

Great feeling fanny ;0)

You better believe it, SHG !

• Options
    Woke up in Chatham and had to pay £40 for a cab back to Dartford. Don't care though cos we won. I am so cool when I want to be.
  • Options
    Oakster said:

Off_it said:

Funny how quiet it gets on the web and how certain people disappear whenever we win a game.

Very odd.

I'd wager a guess that having been proved totally, comprehensively & utterly 100% wrong they have lost interest now
    Best not mention "wager" - you might be offered out!
  • Options
    RedPanda said:

Woke up in Chatham and had to pay £40 for a cab back to Dartford. Don't care though cos we won. I am so cool when I want to be.

Good man - that's the spirit that made this country great?
    ;-)
  • Options

LenGlover said:

Scoham said:

John Barnes?
  • Options

LenGlover said:

Scoham said:

A tricky winger is exactly what Sam was.

• Sponsored links:

• Options

I'm not one to make predictions but I have a feeling in my water about this one.

And it's not cystitis ....

LOL

• Options

I quite liked Jerome Thomas. His attitude was a bit rubbish when we went down but I thought he was a decent player at the beginning for us. I'm aware I'm in the minority on this site so I'll apologise in advance

Don't apologise - JT did just fine for a Charlton side competing against the big clubs in the premier league

• Options

If the results of this season and the form was reversed that the home results out weighed the aways I don't think anyone would be moaning

Or even questioning

Bang on, funny enough I was just saying the same thing to my son before I read your post!

• Options

LenGlover said:

Scoham said:

John Barnes?
    I don't think Barnes had anything but a very quick football brain by the he arrived in SE7!
  • Options

LenGlover said:

Scoham said:

A tricky winger is exactly what Sam was.

I liked Sam but he was more of a modern winger, a pretty sizeable bloke with decent skill but not like an old style winger who would 'drop the shoulder' on defenders and go past them.

To be fair you rarely see these types of players any longer, even Lennon at Spurs is more of a cut inside merchant.
  • Options
    edited March 2013
    Lennon is all pace, without it i doubt he would be a footballer.
  • Options
    When I have seen Harriott play for the youths, I have, on occasions, seen that little bit of class that sets him out. I had thought that a free role behind a striker/strikers might be where he is most effective eventually. We have a terrific opportunity now to give him games and get him used to this level - I think this means being a bit patient too, knowing that there is gem in there that Chrissy can polish.
  • Options

LenGlover said:

Scoham said:

Grumpy
  • Options

We scraped thru, I don't understand the rationale behind the substituting of a forward with a defender early in the second half when there's another forward on the bench... All it take is a deflection and we lose 2 points yet again and sitting back inviting shots will do just that! I'm not impressed at all as we should have wiped Huddersfield out...

This I have to agree SA...isn't the best form of defence to attack, too much squeaky-bum time when we go defensive at around 60 mins.

Conversely I am the first to appreciate the gaffer is doing a brilliant job managing and balancing a team keeping the players in tact for the remaining games in...armchair management is sooo easy, so I guess I have to say....WE SUPPORT YOU CP KEEP IT GOING....now can someone pass me the Rennies, i have gut ache :) !!
  • Options
    Oakster said:

Off_it said:

Very odd.

It's probably likely they don't go away games.

Should try one from time to time, we are quite good away from home ;-)