Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Millwall attendance last night

Comments

• Options
    If the gentrification of the area surrounding the toolbox really takes hold then perhaps in 25 years Millwall will be the Fulham of the south east. "No one likes us cos were posh"
  • Options
    Doubt that there will be many at Middlesbrough this Saturday, on tv 5.20 kick-off
  • Options

The real estate SLL, we had a thread on this before (cant be bothered to search for it, sorry)

Millwall don't own any of it though, the only real possible impact is additional people on our doorstep. Welcome the yuppies, say goodbye to us. At home games in any case.
    I know for a cast iron fact that when heather rabbats was in charge, she was very interested in converting the new den site into flats - feasibility studies, the lot and i am also told that is the only reason berylson bought in. The first part is fact, the second is not, but no reason to doubt it so i guess whether millwall own the land or not, doesn't mean it won't happen. My concern is where will Millwall go and how will it affect Charlton?
  • Options

The real estate SLL, we had a thread on this before (cant be bothered to search for it, sorry)

Millwall don't own any of it though, the only real possible impact is additional people on our doorstep. Welcome the yuppies, say goodbye to us. At home games in any case.
    I know for a cast iron fact that when heather rabbats was in charge, she was very interested in converting the new den site into flats - feasibility studies, the lot and i am also told that is the only reason berylson bought in. The first part is fact, the second is not, but no reason to doubt it so i guess whether millwall own the land or not, doesn't mean it won't happen. My concern is where will Millwall go and how will it affect Charlton?
    TBH, thats a big problem for us - after all,if Millwall do go tits up, then the last thing we would want would be for any of the scumbags to start supporting us.

My wish would be for the FA to call a game at Wembley between Millwall, Brum,Cardiff and Leeds and then nepalm the lot - tbh, it would be a huge gain to humanity.
  • Options
    true - i doubt they'd go tits up though but what bothers me is all this 'we lose x a week in the championship' - not only from them, but from us and we have double their gates - 2 sets of owners, no emotional attachment - decent real estate sites - talk of a new stadium on the peninsula - i'm probably putting 2 and 2 together and getting 5 but from a purely business point of view it makes sense. If they move out into the outer suburbs, that could also detract from our floating support. Something has to give or there's a lot of over inflating how much each club is losing going on.
  • Options

I presume your firm were involved in the cost studies then...

Long term, as much as people hate to say it, a move a few miles out would probably make sense, SE London & N Kent borders. I wouldn't want it personally but the area is changing so much year by year more locals are moving out.

As for The President's worry about us folding and all switching to Charlton, I wouldn't think many would do that, you can't replace it, just like none of you would start following Millwall or Palace should Charlton ever fold, you'd more likely go to Dartford, Welling etc.
  • Options
    not my firm and not costs. long term we would pick up a lot of your fans and vica versa. Either club would be stronger if the other didn't exist - no question and millwall moving out to se london or kent borders would not be good for charlton. i hope millwall stay where they are as they will never thrive there but i just can't see how they can unless a lot of porkies are being told by owners.
  • Options
    No outer London borough or Kent district is ever going to welcome Millwall, so I wouldn't worry too much. Perhaps they could play on Boris island?
  • Options

No outer London borough or Kent district is ever going to welcome Millwall, so I wouldn't worry too much. Perhaps they could play on Boris island?

Preferably BEFORE it's built !

• Options

Indeed, I can't see many local residents welcoming Millwall to their doorstep.

• Sponsored links:

• Options

not my firm and not costs. long term we would pick up a lot of your fans and vica versa. Either club would be stronger if the other didn't exist - no question and millwall moving out to se london or kent borders would not be good for charlton. i hope millwall stay where they are as they will never thrive there but i just can't see how they can unless a lot of porkies are being told by owners.

How long term are you talking about? 50 years?

Millwall can thrive in that area, but it would need to sell it's soul and become the family friendly club for the young professionals in the area.
  • Options

Doubt that there will be many at Middlesbrough this Saturday, on tv 5.20 kick-off

To be fair, that is a proper bummer of a fixture at the best of times so being a 5.20 ko on sky you wouldn`t expect many to go. We wouldn`t exactly take hordes up there either!

• Options
    E-cafc said:

To be fair, that is a proper bummer of a fixture at the best of times so being a 5.20 ko on sky you wouldn`t expect many to go. We wouldn`t exactly take hordes up there either!

We'd need another Operation Riverside! That went well didn't it.......................
  • Options
    They could always try moving back north of the river!!
  • Options
    TelMc32 said:

They could always try moving back north of the river!!

Now that is an excellent idea. As long as Arsenal don't come back here though.
  • Options

Millwall can thrive in that area, but it would need to sell it's soul and become the family friendly club for the young professionals in the area.
    OK, you say that the Millwall experience is already now sterile for reasons you mention earlier in this thread. So I presume there is no 'soul' left to sell. However if yuppies and families come to matches then the club has more income and would get stronger. If you're right that it can't get any worse for sterility and soulessness what is there to lose by trying to attract wider support? Do you really think that for every new yuppie, it would drive two 'pwopa Wall' away shaking their heads in disbelief as to what is happening to their club?

• Options
    Yes
  • Options
    they would have to change their song to "no one likes one no likes one but we are not miffed"
  • Options
    seth plum said:

OK, you say that the Millwall experience is already now sterile for reasons you mention earlier in this thread. So I presume there is no 'soul' left to sell. However if yuppies and families come to matches then the club has more income and would get stronger. If you're right that it can't get any worse for sterility and soulessness what is there to lose by trying to attract wider support? Do you really think that for every new yuppie, it would drive two 'pwopa Wall' away shaking their heads in disbelief as to what is happening to their club?

I didn't say anywhere that it can't get any worse and that there is no soul left to sell. I said it's becoming that way, but we've not got near that point yet. The older Cardiff fans will say they've reached that point though.
  • Options
    Millwall territory is undergoing what happened to the area around West Ham between the 70s and the 90s yet West Ham's support seems to have held up quite well. Not sure why that would be. The sensible thing is for a club - any club - to adapt to its changing environment and appeal to a new demographic. Millwall wearing the 'traditional white working class' label like a badge is an unsustainable model - where Millwall fans have moved out to places like West Malling and Tonbridge is the same as West Ham fans dispersing to Basildon, Spurs fans to Harlow. It just depends how strong those original roots are to keep the fans coming back.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Well I think a lot of you are going to lose money on Millwall being relegated this year. They have a decent team and probably deserved to beat us at the Den. Jackett will sort them out.
    Would I go to Wembley if my Millwall mate gave me a ticket? I don't know. I would quite like to see the new Wembley but would probably say give it to a Millwall fan rather than having me being sarcastic (and bitter) all afternoon.
    What I don't get is the general view on CL that all Millwall and Palarse fans are total shite. That is a weird form of racism. Sure Millwall have more than their fair share of shite fans (HOF just illustrates this point) and we can all agree to hate Palace as a club but generally speaking their fans are long suffering much like us. I once changed my season ticket because I got so fed up with sitting next to a group of racist Charlton fans who probably belonged to the NF at the time. They were not overt like that Dick caught on Sky TV the other day but they sure made me feel uncomfortable. Anyway I appreciate Sparrow taking the time to come on here and give his point of view. He seems a decent geezer.

• Options
    edited February 2013

What I don't get is the general view on CL that all Millwall and Palarse fans are total shite. That is a weird form of racism. Sure Millwall have more than their fair share of shite fans (HOF just illustrates this point) and we can all agree to hate Palace as a club but generally speaking their fans are long suffering much like us.

Far from racism bud, just a form of in-house rivalry, every team has similar views to other teams.. I personally view Palace and everyone who supports it as a form of joke, it just seems like someones took the ideal mock of a football club and named it Crystal Palace.. and Millwall's fans are generally branded the same by many clubs around the country, I know a few good lads who support them, and have no real problem with them as a club until the day we play them... then it gets heated
  • Options
    I think both clubs and their support are jolly good eggs.
  • Options
    Well said Soapy...hurrah to all!
  • Options
    Not liking spanners and nigels is a kind of racism !

Now that really is weird.
  • Options
    smallwall and Palarse aint races so the f++k is giving them shit "racism" ?

• Options
    With Millwall fans isnt it more Speciesism

Just a joke. God this site is so PC with people like GH, Benny Hill, Big Robin etc.
  • Options
    In addition to the Millwall odds for relegation, i've just noticed another reasonable bet for laying off in 5 games time....
    Derby !
    1 win in last 7 ,and 4 of next 5 games are Watford,Palace,Cardiff and Leicester.
    At 66's with some bookies.

http://www.oddschecker.com/football/english/championship/relegation
  • Options