Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Who else currently has no relegation worries ?

Comments

• Options
    addick82 said:

you need money to buy decent players which we havent got. we all new it was gona be a big step up.I think the players and chris powell have done well.Why dont everyone just get behind the team and stop moaning

This. If we got promoted to the PL we would all expect a relegation battle and support the team every game. We would clap the team off if they played well and lost and celebrate finishing 4th bottom. It's as if everyone thought the Championship would be easy.
  • Options
    edited February 2013
    A few observations....

With our average gates being appro 18.5k this season - about 9th in the list - you would (kinda) think that we have moderate spending power for players.
    If you relate that to Millwalls average we are approx 8k fans per game more.If you multiply that by 23 (number of home games), multiply that by an average of 20 pounds per person equals an extra 3.6 million per season. Now, if we led to believe that gates is our major revenue, then this is a substantial wedge advantage.
    However, Millwall are doing better than us is the league, quarters of the FACup , and are able to compete for the same players that we are looking at (Hulse as an example). So, this leads me to think that maybe the management is at 'fault'.I was listening to David Pleat on Radio 5 yesterday at the Luton v Millwall game , and he said that a lot of the crdit for the Swansea success has to go to Jackett, as he set everythingup and started to get them playing the way they play. I remember during Parky's reign, watching us play Barnsley away when we were bottom of the div (although not totally out of it) - it ended up 0-0, we created nothing, never looked like creating anything, but the overriding memory is of a lack of Plan B , PArky made no substituions that day - sound familiar? As much as i dont want to say it, but SIr Chris's (lack of ) tactics just reminds me so much of that horrid season when we did go down.

To me, there are other teams who are possibly in a worse state than us - the bottom three obviously, but Barnsley are playing out of their skins. I was sort of hoping that their Cup exploits would 'galvanise' a decline but it seems to have had the reverse effect.
    Wolves. They are in a steady decline, and in a real turmoil.My brother is a Wolves fan (dont ask), and he has them to get relegated this year.
    Udd - earlier this season they were in a playoff spot,but now below us and sliding fast.
    Brum - poor team, racked by internal turmoil.
    Millwall, despite my comments above, seem to have hit the big slide since Wood left, and also get the feeling that Shittu is not too enamoured about the raacism row.

So, no, i dont think we will go down - although it might not be because of our own quality - more like someone elses lack of.
  • Options
    Your revenues are miles out. I'd agree that we probably average 8000 more than Millwall. But that's probably about 5000 S/T holders, 2000 paying adults & 1000 concessions (I'm sure Airman will correct me).

5000 @ say £350 = £1.75M
    2000 @ £25 x 23 = £1.15M
    1000 @ £15 x 23 = £345K

Total £3.245M

Minus 20% VAT = £2.596M

I'm confident that it won't be more.
  • Options
    Think about it ; next season we will have season ticket revenue ( 5-10k ?) , new sponsorship money ( this I imagine had been planned since the summer ,and slater said a month or so ago the new sponsors were a reason for a takeover rumour ) which then means kit revenue ( ok maybe not a lot but it all adds up ) as well as what ever the board give Powell - this money could range from anything like 1mil to 3mil ?
  • Options
    sammy391 said:

Think about it ; next season we will have season ticket revenue ( 5-10k ?) , new sponsorship money ( this I imagine had been planned since the summer ,and slater said a month or so ago the new sponsors were a reason for a takeover rumour ) which then means kit revenue ( ok maybe not a lot but it all adds up ) as well as what ever the board give Powell - this money could range from anything like 1mil to 3mil ?

I really want to believe that but im doubtful Chrissy will get that in the summer.
  • Options
    sammy391 said:

So we may not lose £7M next season ?
  • Options

sammy391 said:

I really want to believe that but im doubtful Chrissy will get that in the summer.
    Totally agree ! It all comes down to how much TJ and MS will want to give Powell , but what I ment is that there is IMHO a better chance of Powell getting money to spend

sammy391 said:

So we may not lose £7M next season ?
    I guess that £7m is across the whole club , but it may mean we lose £1m more after having a bit more money to spend
  • Options
    So we lose £8M next season, bringing the amount we owe to £40M.
    How are we going to repay this ?
  • Options
    I think it will be the tried and tested Charlton way in the summer, sell Solly/Stephens or someone else to a premier club & then Chrissy gets a percentage of that to bring in 3 or 4 new signings and that is me being very hopeful, im a little worried it could be much worse.

• Options
    I suppose another option is that some of our coveted youngsters step up to the mark to allow us to sell the likes of Solly.Stephens/Hamer ?.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Why wouldn't they WANT to give Powell money to spend? From what I've seen so far if the moneys available then Powell will get it. The only reason he didn't get any to spend this year is because there literally wasn't any.
  • Options
    edited February 2013

Why wouldn't they WANT to give Powell money to spend? From what I've seen so far if the moneys available then Powell will get it. The only reason he didn't get any to spend this year is because there literally wasn't any.

If there wasnt any this season, what makes you think there will be any next season?
  • Options
    edited February 2013
    Glad this thread hasn't gone off course.....
  • Options
    If I thought we were going down I wouldn't be trying to decide how many season tickets to renew. We'll be okay.
  • Options
    Average points needed = 48
    Lowest total needed = 41 points in 11/12
    Highest total needed = 53 points in 95/96
    52 points enough for 92% [22 years]
    51 points enough for 83% [20 years]
    50 points enough for 75% [18 years]
    49 points enough for 67% [16 years]
    48 points enough for 50% [12 years]
    47 points enough for 42% [10 years]
    43-46 points enough for 21% [5 years]
    41-42 points enough for 4% [1 year]
    40 points and below never enough

Last 24 years in this league since it expanded in 1989
  • Options
    Plus our goal difference should give us another point.
  • Options
    Bearing in mind this division appears to be the closest (in my memory), then it's reasonable to assume you may need a record amount of points to stay up.
  • Options
    We'll be fine. I expect a win on saturday.
  • Options
    edited February 2013

So we lose £8M next season, bringing the amount we owe to £40M.
    How are we going to repay this ?

By getting into the Premier League!
  • Options
    Someone's got to stay up , why not us?
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    nolly said:

Someone's got to stay up , why not us?

I reckon 21 teams will stay up for definite. I'd say we have a fair chance.
  • Options
    A little edgy but we'll be ok. We already have 40 points and the team has a lot of spirit. February was always going to be a very tough month and the law of averages should dictate that we pick up a few more home wins. Hopefully Fuller will stay fit for the run in.

We obviously lack some quality but we're not that far off and the reality is that, in terms of resources and spending power, this division is most certainly not a level playing field.
  • Options
    yeah.i'm sure we can scrape a couple of home wins plus 1 away and maybe a draw or 2 to take us thru the 50 point mark.
    Also, with the L1 promotion hopefuls not being particularly strong , we can more than likely push onwards and upwards next season.
  • Options
    who does need to worry about relegation? - a lot of people in Cardiff :)
  • Options

Bearing in mind this division appears to be the closest (in my memory), then it's reasonable to assume you may need a record amount of points to stay up.

this. I reckon we will need 54 to be safe.

• Options

Gulp.

In times like this, i always look at the Bookies to perk myself up,(they rarely get it wrong) - and they have us at 9th favourite for the drop...http://www.oddschecker.com/football/english/championship/relegation
    A bet i noticed as being good is Millwall at 40-1. Just 1 point better than us, on the slide, lost their main goal scorer,racked with recent racism issues- and there is always 1 team that makes a big slide down the table into oblivion.
  • Options

Bristol are going to be below us, peterborough will be below us, Wednesday will be below us and wolves, Birmingham and Barnsley don't look to great at the moment. I don't have a doubt that we are staying up

Just need to finish the chances better in front of goal and its a comfortable mid table place in may

Wouldn't include Barnsley there...unbeaten in 8....(including 2 in the cup).
    We have lost 1 in 10 in the League too.
  • Options
    I have been looking at the bottom of the table tentatively, but realistically we just need one more decent run of results like we did in November and January, plus a couple of draws. There are definitely at least three worse teams than us in this division, so barring the mother of all awful run ins we should be safe with a couple of games to spare.
  • Options

Gulp.

In times like this, i always look at the Bookies to perk myself up,(they rarely get it wrong) - and they have us at 9th favourite for the drop...http://www.oddschecker.com/football/english/championship/relegation
    A bet i noticed as being good is Millwall at 40-1. Just 1 point better than us, on the slide, lost their main goal scorer,racked with recent racism issues- and there is always 1 team that makes a big slide down the table into oblivion.
    but no doubt Rob Hulse scores bundles there
  • Options

If there wasnt any this season, what makes you think there will be any next season?
    So all those loan players we had must have been a figment of my imagination. Or prehaps that were given to us for free out of the goodness of other clubs' hearts?