Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

delays on southeastern today

Comments

• Options
    cafckev said:

As Strasburger points out well, its not the odd issues that are the problem. That is always going to happen. Its the continued poor performance. I have not had a single journey to work in the past fortnight where my train has arrived near its expected time. Along with broken down trains etc, almost every day you queue from New Cross to London Bridge just to congestion. But its ok, because South Eastern tweeted me to reassure they have plans in place to make it better in 3 years time.....

joke service where the cost goes up every single year.

But why is it Southeastern fault that there isn't enough capacity. Ultimately it's a Network Rail or Political matter.

If you are on a coach going to an away game, that is delayed at the Dartford tunnel because so many people are all trying to go through at once, do you blame the coach driver or coach company? No, you'd blame the tunnel operator. You wouldn't blame the coach company because they are only providing the vehicle to get you there and not responsible for the roads etc!
    Sorry Kev missed this post.

NR have made it clear that they are (currently ongoing) taking care of upcoming capacity (that is my field for a 3rd party) on Metro with 12 coach trains due for arrival in the next 24 months. Southeastern have a contact to run 8 -10 car trains from 7am - 10am and from 4pm until 8pm on every metro line. How many times do lifers get a train that is only 6 or 4 in these hours, per year? month? week?
    They have some great get arounds from all this, much like the fact they get to add the HS1 trains onto there performance charts to make out that they can run the service.

Problem that NR have is that they don't get to have a "word" with the DFT who are the ones that have the wool being pulled over the eyes.
  • Options
    The other TOCs aren't great either, tbf. Moved to Reigate three months ago - have caught the same First Great Western train to work every day. It has never - NEVER - been less than three minutes late. At least twice a week it's seven minutes late or more, and often gets to Redhill (where I have to change) and the Southern train (8:53 to Victoria) sits on the platform next to it with it's doors closed for thirty seconds, people hammering on them outside, then pulls away because of their utterly ridiculous policy of closing doors 30 seconds before departure. I repeat here - the train is NOT late when the other one gets to the platform at 8:52ish - it just sits there until 8:53 and then pulls away. Guarantee you if it was a Southern train, they'd wait. It's an absolute fucking farce.
  • Options
    Short shit train update. 19.14 from london bridge on Sidcup line. 4 coaches. Informed just as train pulls into platform. Happy days. Not.
  • Options
    We're in for a lot of hassle while they rebuild London Bridge with more platforms. Once completed the delays outside the stations should be reduced as the Thameslink trains will have their own tracks.

• Options
    I did a few weeks commuting not long ago and have to go up town every now and then for work and I gotta say I don't like 'commuters' but I understand their abject misery at the stinking level of service offered by south eastern. I cannot really express my disdain and intense dislike for them.

If I had to rely on them every day to get to work it would make me lose the plot and go flipmo in a very short space of time.

Should never have privatised the rail network, or utilities. It only leads to shit in the end and I challenge anyone to prove to me otherwise

And I count British telecom, British gas, the water companies and the electricity board in this. They are all more corrupt, rotten, greedy and nefarious than ever before now they no longer concern themselves with providing quality, value for money services but with how the latest jumped up pygmies can re-elect themselves to the board of a company bought with public money and feed themselves completely bloated payments dressed up as bonuses for consistently letting down their 'customers' who have no choice in modern times whether or not they need gas, water, electricity or communications.

And then take a humongous dump on the workforce by making weekends part of their working week as well as evenings whilst only doing three days a week themselves

Cretins

• Options
    All this train talk is getting me excited :-)
  • Options
    Carter said:

I did a few weeks commuting not long ago and have to go up town every now and then for work and I gotta say I don't like 'commuters' but I understand their abject misery at the stinking level of service offered by south eastern. I cannot really express my disdain and intense dislike for them.

If I had to rely on them every day to get to work it would make me lose the plot and go flipmo in a very short space of time.

Should never have privatised the rail network, or utilities. It only leads to shit in the end and I challenge anyone to prove to me otherwise

And I count British telecom, British gas, the water companies and the electricity board in this. They are all more corrupt, rotten, greedy and nefarious than ever before now they no longer concern themselves with providing quality, value for money services but with how the latest jumped up pygmies can re-elect themselves to the board of a company bought with public money and feed themselves completely bloated payments dressed up as bonuses for consistently letting down their 'customers' who have no choice in modern times whether or not they need gas, water, electricity or communications.

And then take a humongous dump on the workforce by making weekends part of their working week as well as evenings whilst only doing three days a week themselves

Cretins

Post of the week, if not the year.
  • Options
    Thank you Leroy, your view that it will take a global conflict to straighten things out again is about bang on the money.

• Options
    I gave up commuting to London 20 years ( managed 6 years of it) sounds like things haven't changed much reading all these stories.
  • Options
    On the spare capacity of stock and train crew issue.The TOCs have sussed that 90% of fuck ups fall in to the lap of Notwork Snail so when it does go wrong they can sit back and reap in the compo from NR and a lot of people don't bother claiming so the TOCs are quids in.So why bother having spare stock and crews hanging around costing money? Stuff the customer service aspect about actually getting you to where you want to be!!! I'm afraid thats how the shambles that is the modern privatised railway works....
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Do people seriously believe that things were miraculously better back in the days of dear old British Rail?

Nostalgia is all well and good, but them days were just as bad - if not worse.

Who remembers those little wooden boards they used to slot into the wall that were supposed to tell you where the next train was going? Or those terrible single compartments you could get stuck in with some nutter and nobody would know? Or paying your fare at the other end knowing full well that the fella on the gate was going to pocket your cash?

No thanks!
  • Options
    Off_it said:

Do people seriously believe that things were miraculously better back in the days of dear old British Rail?

Who remembers those little wooden boards they used to slot into the wall that were supposed to tell you where the next train was going? Or those terrible single compartments you could get stuck in with some nutter and nobody would know? Or paying your fare at the other end knowing full well that the fella on the gate was going to pocket your cash?

No thanks!

Showing your age there Offy. Some things are still the same though mate.
  • Options

Off_it said:

Do people seriously believe that things were miraculously better back in the day of dear old British Rail

No thanks!

Those single compartments were a god send of somewhere to go with your bird as a teenager if both sets of parents were home!!!!
  • Options
    I know Brendan. Feeling my age.

Just makes me laugh that people seem to think things were so much better back in those days, when they weren't.

The trains are shit now, but they always were. Only difference now is that there is probably less "waste" which translates into profits for the train companies, rather than backhanders, pilfering and paying geezers to do fcuk all every day.

Same with the Royal Mail.

I ain't holding my breath for things to get any better.
  • Options
    richie8 said:

Off_it said:

Do people seriously believe that things were miraculously better back in the day of dear old British Rail

No thanks!

Those single compartments were a god send of somewhere to go with your bird as a teenager if both sets of parents were home!!!!
    Christ that shows I really knew how to show a girl a good time!!!!!!
  • Options
    richie8 said:

richie8 said:

Off_it said:

No thanks!

Christ that shows I really knew how to show a girl a good time!!!!!!
    Was that when you were after somewhere warmer than the graveyard?
  • Options
    Bullshit, with the advancements in technology that are available now there are less excuses for the abominable levels of service.

It's all well and fabulous all this cost cutting and waste reduction that comes with privatisation but these cost cutters never hang around to see the damage they do
  • Options
    Only slightly warmer Off_it !!!
    All it takes is something minor that the H&S deem the track needs to be shut and NR pick up the tabs while the TOCs do nothing for their punters.Joke!
  • Options
    Good job we've got Bob Crow around to highlight the greed of the TOCs.
  • Options

Good job we've got Bob Crow around to highlight the greed of the TOCs unions.

Spot on Leroy.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Carter said:

Bullshit, with the advancements in technology that are available now there are less excuses for the abominable levels of service.

It's all well and fabulous all this cost cutting and waste reduction that comes with privatisation but these cost cutters never hang around to see the damage they do

So, there might be less excuses, but was it actually any better in the past? That was my (bullshit) point.
  • Options
    edited December 2012
    I wasn't trying to make a point that things were better 20 years ago , but hearing some of the horror travel stories on here has reminded me why I got out of that soulless rat run.
  • Options
    edited December 2012
    Off_it said:

Spot on Leroy.
    My sarcasm might have been lost there. Just in case, Bob Crow is a ####. That should help clarify things.
  • Options
    Doesn't Bob Crow like to portray himself as a man of the people , for the people, on a six figure salary..,,,
  • Options

Millwall prick
  • Options

Off_it said:

Spot on Leroy.
    My sarcasm might have been lost there. Just in case, Bob Crow is a ####. That should help clarify things.
    Sarcasm is never lost on me!
  • Options

Off_it said:

Spot on Leroy.
    can't argue with that :-)
  • Options
    I'll see your southeastern and raise you a First Capital Connect, an utter shambles of a service
  • Options
    Off_it said:

Carter said:

So, there might be less excuses, but was it actually any better in the past? That was my (bullshit) point.
    It doesn't matter if it was better or worse in the past, fact is privatising something that was paid for by taxes is wrong. Where are your dividends from the sale of British telecom and the railways?

Or the water board?

It was a hell of a lot cheaper when it was public too, this is what annoys a lot of people. If you travel imtermitently up town it can cost £30 to stand in a rammed, late train. That is not on, brilliant for shareholders though
  • Options
    Carter said:

Off_it said:

Carter said:

It doesn't matter if it was better or worse in the past, fact is privatising something that was paid for by taxes is wrong. Where are your dividends from the sale of British telecom and the railways?

Or the water board?

It was a hell of a lot cheaper when it was public too, this is what annoys a lot of people. If you travel imtermitently up town it can cost £30 to stand in a rammed, late train. That is not on, brilliant for shareholders though
    But it was the point I was making, if that's ok with you.