Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Charge to use Blackwall Tunnel

Comments

• Options
    I always feel for the people living near flats by the Blackwall tunnel. Having walked by it the smell of pollution is awful 
  • Options
    seth plum said:
    Sadiq Khan is a brave Mayor who sticks to principles ahead of popularity.
    From what I can see he is a top man.
    When Boris Johnson was Mayor he spent taxpayers money on Jennifer Arcuri so he could shag her pretending he was having IT lessons.
    Thought it was BoJo who introduced ULEZ?
  • Options
    Johnson announced it in 2014.
    Khan introduced it on the 8th April 2019.

• Options
    Gribbo said:
    seth plum said:
    Sadiq Khan is a brave Mayor who sticks to principles ahead of popularity.
    From what I can see he is a top man.
    When Boris Johnson was Mayor he spent taxpayers money on Jennifer Arcuri so he could shag her pretending he was having IT lessons.
    Thought it was BoJo who introduced ULEZ?

Makes him even braver, sticking to an opposition policy because he agrees with it, and taking all the associated flak. 
  • Options
    🙄
  • Options
    All aboard the ferry then.
    That would be a good idea but hardly ever runs these days and when it does its only 1 boat.
  • Options
    To be fair, the toll of the Blackwall Tunnel is to pay for the construction of the Silvertown Tunnel, which is nearly finished now.

£4 is too much though, I suspect that's a deliberate leak to test the water.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    google says 50,000 vehicles use the tunnels each day. That seems high to me but that results in £72m a year. 
  • Options
    Local discounts  will apply, same as Dartford Crossing. Also the £4 quoted will end up £2.50, so people will think "ah not so bad" Then discount for having an account so might end up at £2 a pop for regular user.

• Options
    To be fair, the toll of the Blackwall Tunnel is to pay for the construction of the Silvertown Tunnel, which is nearly finished now.

I not charge for the Silvertown tunnel instead? When the tunnel is paid for, will the Blackwall tunnel be free again?
    Both tunnels will be tolled. 

As for the future, that's up to future Mayors
  • Options
    google says 50,000 vehicles use the tunnels each day. That seems high to me but that results in £72m a year. 
    That's seems low if anything. There's always queues backing up to go through it whenever I've needed to use it 
  • Options
    So correct me if ive got this wrong 
    £15 a day congestion charge
    £12.50 Ulez charge , for non compliant vehicles
    £8 toll for tunnel 
    £35.50 each day to drive into Central  London
  • Options
    You forgot to add the price of petrol or diesel, car insurance and maintenance.
    It is harder to quantify the benefits in monetary terms.
  • Options
    seth plum said:
    You forgot to add the price of petrol or diesel, car insurance and maintenance.
    It is harder to quantify the benefits in monetary terms.
    I Also didnt factor in parking charges ! 
  • Options

I not charge for the Silvertown tunnel instead? When the tunnel is paid for, will the Blackwall tunnel be free again?
    A Bit like the Dartford Tunnel and Bridges ............. never going to happen when free money is involved .  
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Crusty54 said:
    Hal1x said:
    £4 would be a pisstake when Dartford costs £2.50 or £1.66 if paid by direct debit 
    Lets raise the Dartford toll as well!

If only there was some kind of free ferry you could use as an alternative, oh no sadly its never available to use!
    TfL have said both ferries will be in service by the end of the year with 7 day operation.

However, they want to introduce a toll in the future.
    Just found this on Wiki , never say never 
    Tolls cannot be levied on the ferry without changing the 1885 Act of Parliament. However, it is possible that the service may eventually be tolled in conjunction with other projects
  • Options
    As others have mentioned us over in the east/south east of London have (and always have had because we are mostly a poorer area in general) the worst infrastructure in the whole of London and the home counties. Tube basically non existent. Poor overground train connections. Slower service all round and seemingly more expensive for what service we do get. 
    Then we have to pay to cross the river in the limited amount of crossings that there is.
     Central and west have loads of free crossings.
    Yes the Thames is wider our side but there's plenty of rivers across the world that has bridges and tunnels over wide expanses of water. 
  • Options
    It is not a problem building a bridge the proposed one from Thamesmead to Barking would have been a better, but the route from the A2 had loads of problems ie destroying ancient woodland.
  • Options
    It would appear that Boris favoured the Silvertown Tunnel over a bridge at Thamesmead.

It was reported in May 2008 that the new London Mayor, Boris Johnson, planned to put the bridge project on hold.[9]

On 6 November 2008, Johnson announced a "massive investment in transport infrastructure" but confirmed the cancellation of the £500m bridge. The reasons cited for cancellation included local opposition, insufficient funding, projected detrimental effects on traffic flow and concerns over the bridge's location and environmental impact.[10] It was also independently confirmed that the public inquiry would not reopen.[4]

In October 2009, it was reported that consultants Mott MacDonald had won a contract to investigate the possibility of new crossings between Tower Bridge and the Dartford Crossing.[11]

Despite having abandoned the bridge the previous year and saying he favoured a tunnel crossing at Silvertown, Johnson resurrected the project, renamed Gallions Reach Crossing, as a lower capacity crossing that could start as a ferry service but could be upgraded to a fixed link later.[11]

• Options
    Probably just so he could have a chance of them being called Boris boats or Boris barges 
  • Options
    Johnson killed the Thamesmead Bridge as the Tory council in Bexley lobbied him to kill it 

• Options
    fadgadget said:
    So correct me if ive got this wrong 
    £15 a day congestion charge
    £12.50 Ulez charge , for non compliant vehicles
    £8 toll for tunnel 
    £35.50 each day to drive into Central  London
    Why would you use a tunnel to get into central London?
  • Options
    Khan needs more of your cash .. smile, pay up and vote Labour