Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Who was Jack The Ripper?

Comments

• Options
    The the most likely is Tumblety.
    Probably.  Although he would have spoken with an accent, was taller than witness reports and much older. 
  • Options
    edited July 2020
    Wasn't there a man who was later hung in Australia for butchering his wife, he had lived in London at the time, he murdered his first wife and kids in Liverpool.

Frederick Bailey Deeming

(Edited after Googling him)
  • Options
    Chizz said:
    John Montague Druitt - schooolmaster, teaching in Blackheath. Misogynist, homosexual. Probably mad. Threw himself in the Thames in December 1888.  It's almost impossible for him to have committed the first murder (Polly Nicholls) as he was playing cricket in Dorset the next day. 

Seweryn Kłosowski (aka George Chapman) - Polish migrant, arrived in the UK a few months before the first murder. Violent.  Misogynist. Lived in Whitechapel.  Worked as a barber.  Murdered three of his wives.  Took the same name as the second victim about five years later.  Had a tremendous moustache (a witness said the murderer of Elizabeth Stride had a large moustache).  

(Aaron?) Kosminski - Polish barber. Mad. Lived in Whitechapel. In 2014, mitochondrial DNA showed a female line descendant match between Kosminski and a shawl owned by fourth victim Catherine Eddowes. 

Michael Ostrog - Russian.  So, you know, probably dunnit. Even though he was in prison in France at the time. 

John Pizer - Prior conviction for stabbing.  Known as "Leather Apron" (an early contemporary nickname for Jack the Ripper). Had alibis for at least two of the murders, including a copper.  I have only included him because he's sometimes known as John Piser, which is a bit funny. 

James Thomas Sadler - A friend of fifth and final victim Frances Coles (a Whitechapel Murder victim, but not classed as a Jack the Ripper victim).  He was at sea during the Ripper murders, so it's clear it wasn't him. 

Francis Tumblety - misogynist. Quack. Pick pocket. Homosexual. Enormous moustache. Born in Ireland, grew up in the United States. Accused to be complicit in the assassination of Abraham Lincoln. Visited London in the 1880s, living in Whitechapel for a few months at the same time as the Ripper murders. 

Prince Albert Victor - Don't be ridiculous.  Why would anyone think that a member of the Royal Family would have anything suspicious to hide?  Lots of rumours about him.  No mention anywhere of him having visited the Woking branch of Pizza Express. 

Lewis Carroll - just no
    Not including Walter Sickert on your list? I remember reading the book years ago and thinking it looked quite compelling. It doesn't seem so fashionable now though.
  • Options
    It was probably Thatcher. 😱
  • Options
    edited July 2020
    My late cousin was a Jack the ripper expert, in fact she met her husband at a ripper convention.

There is a pod cast of a lecture she gave here:

https://www.casebook.org/podcast/listen.html?id=151

If anyone is intrested. 

• Options
    George Graham  14/1
  • Options
    No mention of Sir William Gull on your list Chizz? 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    George Graham  14/1
    Curbs 16/1
  • Options
    I'm waiting to see what Acworth has to say on the matter... 
  • Options
    I'm waiting to see what Acworth has to say on the matter... 
    It was The Krays. 
  • Options

• Options
    It was... Rebecca Vardy
  • Options
    Who's ITK
  • Options
    I used to think it was Tumblety but I think there is a lot of evidence pointing to Kosminski. We will never know for certain, but he has to be the most likely.
  • Options
    So many names put forward & every time I read about them.I say..."yes, that's the one".

First I saw the Michael Caine mini-series & thought it was Gull

Then I read the Diary of Jack the Ripper a few years back. Thought it was Tumbelty.

Then I watched a documentary by famous American author Patricia Cornwell where she says it was Walter Sickert.

Then there was a programme last year when they named someone else (cant remember who) and thought he did it.

I think it was the Whitechapel Preservation Society. Keeps the tourists coming back year after year.....
  • Options
    I have always wondered about Walter Sickert after seeing his paintings of the Camden Murders. They look about too real for me for the sitter to pose as dead. I think Barbara Cromwell is also of the same opinion. 
  • Options
    I used to think it was Tumblety but I think there is a lot of evidence pointing to Kosminski. We will never know for certain, but he has to be the most likely.
    https://www.newswise.com/articles/jack-the-ripper-a-wrongful-conviction-based-on-flawed-dna-analysis
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Saw a brilliant documentary on this on YouTube (probably the most recent one made) and they had it down to a butcher
  • Options
    Saw a brilliant documentary on this on YouTube (probably the most recent one made) and they had it down to a butcher
    Was that the one where they used modern profiling techniques to say that his "kill zone" would be within a certain radius from his home & working environment  ?  
  • Options
    Was that the one where they used modern profiling techniques to say that his "kill zone" would be within a certain radius from his home & working environment  ?  
    That's it. It was pretty convincing tbh
  • Options
    Solidgone said:
    I have always wondered about Walter Sickert after seeing his paintings of the Camden Murders. They look about too real for me for the sitter to pose as dead. I think Barbara Cromwell is also of the same opinion. 
    Cromwell maintains that Sickert was impotent due to a childhood op on his penis and he had a hatred for women. There’s no evidence for either claim. In fact, the hospital that she cites for his operations only performed them via the anus.
  • Options
    Best version I've read was Stephen Knights book The final solution.
    Think there was also a TV documentary. 
    The ripper was more than one person acting on behalf of the Royal family

Masonic rituals where used in the method of killing. 
    Apparently there was a connection between all the victims. 
  • Options
    I still don't think we can rule out a suicide pact
  • Options
    Has anyone said "your mum" yet?
  • Options
     Which documentary is this?

I've long thought the Ripper could have links to Smithfield market. It's a 10-15 minute walk away from most of the murders.
    Never heard the Butcher theory officially which is strange when you consider the method of the murders.

• Options
    ross1 said:
    Chizz, I saw a programme a long time ago that accused an assistant in the Coroner/Pathologist office who helped with all the murdered women's bodies. Cannot remember his name, over to you
    MJ Trow is an author who wrote a number of books centred on Inspector Lestrade (the fictional detective in the Conan Doyle Sherlock Holmes stories).  The sixth of which was "Lestrade and the Ripper", set in 1888.  

He also claimed to have studied FBI profiling which had "profiled" the killer and made wild assumptions as to his personality, location, job, etc.  From this, Trow concluded that the candidate who was the closest match to the FBI profile was Robert Mann, a Whitechapel morgue attendant. 

He wrote about it in a terrible book called Jack the Ripper: Quest for a Killer.  It's available, second-hand, on Amazon for 50p.  If you have 50p spare, don't buy it.