Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Ipswich Town vs. Charlton Athletic | 22nd September 2012 | Match Preview, Predictions, Teams & News

WSSWSS
edited September 2012 in General Charlton
Introduction

A relegation decider, a six-pointer, a win-at-all-costs, Powell must go if we lose…

After a promising start to life in the Championship for Charlton, any illusions of a comfortable season for the Addicks were shattered into a thousand pieces with successive defeats to Nottingham Forest, Crystal Palace and Derby County. Although all defeats were only by a single goal, the sluggishness of Chris Powell’s men in the opening period of all three games continues to be a worry and the faith/stubbornness of sticking with the same line-up is being seriously questioned by the fan base.

Saturday’s game against fellow basement boys Ipswich gives the League One champions a chance to redeem themselves and show the fans that we can compete on an equal footing in the second tier of English football.

Line Up

Many expected/hoped that Rhoys Wiggins’ long-term injury would give a chance to former Arsenal product Cedric Evina yet Powell opted to go with Lawrie ‘Marmite’ Wilson – expect the same defensive unit at Portman Road. The centre of the park is where the majority of people think our weakness is. A lack of bite, drive and natural width is limiting the attacking threat of the Addicks causing a style that is far too labourous for the fast-paced nature of the Championship.

Danny Green will hope to retain his place in the starting line-up after scoring and assisting a goal at Pride Park and the subsequent introduction of Kerkar (with Jackson moving inside) and Fuller up top gives Chris Powell real food for thought. Despite Fuller’s noticeable impact in recent substitute appearances, expect Wright-Phillips and Kermorgant to start up front once again.

Opposition

Ipswich Town are yet to win at home in three attempts this season and are conceding over two goals a game (skewed by a 6-0 thumping by Blackpool earlier in the season) so Charlton will hope to create some chances to reverse their season’s fortunes. As for their team, the Addicks could come up against former loanee Lee Martin, whilst a close eye will need to be kept on prolific Championship striker Michael Chopra who already has two goals this season.

Prediction

Both teams desperately need a win although the Tractor Boys will be under more pressure in front of their home fans to perform. It’s hard to see Charlton picking up a win if they start the game like they have in the three previous outings but we have to hope that Chris Powell has shaken that particular trait out of the team. A back-to-basic draw will be most welcome. 1-1.

Come on you reds!

Comments

• if you're on a bad run and can't get a result for love nor money this is the perfect team and time for you to be playing .................................................................................charlton

unfortunately we are charlton

as usual a draw at best but more than likely we'll kick start ipswich's season
  • edited September 2012
    We get our mojo back; 4 - 1 to Charlton. Kerker the star.

Jewel sacked in the morning.

• Actually agree Jewell could go if they flop again on Saturday.

The same won't happen in the case of SCP.

Let's knock one thing on the head now. There are FORTY games left this season. This is NOT a must win game.

But a more confident performance is definitely in order.

Fancy a draw.
  • First away game of the season, thoroughly looking forward to it. Hope the team that ended the game Tuesday night starts but with Evina at left back so Solly can go back to his natural position. Think we can get a win out of this. 1-0, Fuller
  • My heart is screaming win or draw however my head is saying another defeat by the odd goal. As said above Jewell must be feeling the pressure as are the players and I think Ipswich will be up for this one more than us.

Please let me be wrong
  • Ipswich were my favorites for relegation before the start of the season. Something is totally amiss at a very nice club, perhaps an over ambitious owner, a worn out manager, Roy Keaneitis .. who knows.
    I see this as a potential win IF the right team is selected. It's about time Fuller was match fit If he isnt he needs to get cracking and do a few more circuits of the pitch.
    Chris Powell needs to bite the bullet and drop a few of last year's 'heroes'. Fuller and Kermorgant is the right combination for a tough away game and midfield needs to be stiffened up. Equally, if Powell makes no changes and we win .. da boy's a genius !!

Hamer Morrison Dervite Cort Solly .. Stephens Hollands Kerkar Green .. Kermorgant/Wright-Phillips Fuller (still can't decide 'tween Bradders n Yann)
  • I think that if we can carry the momentum we showed in the last 20 mins on Tuesday night into this game - added to a few tactical/form changes - then we can win this match. The Tractor boys lost again last night at home to Wolves, confidence may be low in Suffolk so its 2-1 to the addicks for me.
  • This is the sort of away game we really need to be winning, struggling opposition, probably restive home crowd etc. A positive start is imperative, to up the home tension. Over to you SCP...
  • I think we will win 1-0. Kermorgant.
  • heart says a 2-1 win.........head says a 2-0 defeat
  • Sponsored links:

• 1-1

Hamer

Solly
    Morro
    Cort
    Evina

Green
    Jackson
    Stephens
    Kerks

Bwp
    Yann

But I'm pretty sure it will be solly at left back again
  • My 1st away game of the season. Looking forward to it. Whether I will be so happy about it at 5pm on Saturday is another matter!! We can take heart from the last 20 minutes on Tuesday and Ipswich are a poor side. 2-1 Charlton
  • Risky,I would have JJ at LB.Added to that I would play Kerkar.Green/Wagstaff not really fussed.Both inconsistent but on the day............I will go 1-1
  • Ipswich have had a tougher start than us

Tight game we will win this fuller and kermy 1-2
  • This is the one ... 2-1 charlton

• It's about time Fuller was match fit If he isnt he needs to get cracking and do a few more circuits of the pitch.

lol love it, Lincs!
  • If Solly plays left back 3-1 Ipswich, if Solly plays right back and Evina left back 2-1 to us.
  • Actually fancy a win here.
  • if Ipswich lose I expect Jewell out, Harry in
  • Back on track with a 1-0 win and Jewell sacked by Monday.
  • Sponsored links:

• who plays Left wing for Ipswich?
  • who plays Left wing for Ipswich?

Isn't it Lee Martin?
  • Poor performance. But an equally poor performance from Ipswich equals an 1-0 win.
  • 1 1 looking forward to it though
  • Based on the season so far, 2-1 Ipswich. I expect another dodgy decision to go against us.
  • Having read the reports form those who where at Derby, It appears Wilson had a stinker and Evina should be at left back with Solly at RB. Also Hollands has not cut it for me so fr this season so JJ inside. Kerker appears to have done well so should be included. If Ric can do 90 then stick him alongside Yann, Brad on bench.
    If Powell makes these changes perhaps we will nick a win, if he doesn't make changes then we stay in bottom three.
  • 1- 3 to us nervy game but we take the chances, BWP & Fuller 2 plus Jewell sacked by there next match.
  • i think we can win this one. 2 up at the break. 2-1 at ft. come on boys lets get going again ffs.
  • Greenie said:

Having read the reports form those who where at Derby, It appears Wilson had a stinker and Evina should be at left back with Solly at RB. Also Hollands has not cut it for me so fr this season so JJ inside. Kerker appears to have done well so should be included. If Ric can do 90 then stick him alongside Yann, Brad on bench.
    If Powell makes these changes perhaps we will nick a win, if he doesn't make changes then we stay in bottom three.

no stinker from Wilson, but Solly should def start at RB.

• Sorry to piss on the fireworks but I can see another narrow defeat here. 1 - 0 to Ipswich.