Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Ben Hamer's Twitter last night

Comments

• Options
    This is a serious thread take your jokes elsewhere.
  • Options
    boreoff.com
  • Options
    Bit stupid to use that word. Mainly because it makes no sense in the context.

Imagine if Joey Barton had sent the same tweet!
  • Options
    edited July 2012
    I saw the tweet and thought what a daft tweet , oh well he's a young lad , we all make mistakes , i'm sure he meant no harm/offence and someone from the club will have a quiet word in his ear about appropriate / inappropriate language , this really doesn't need to be blown out of proportion, i'm sure we've all said something we wish we hadn't.
  • Options
    I'm disgusted by this comment.... I think we should take away his number 1 shirt, rip his contract up and have him beheaded. Terrible human being... how dare he cause the holocaust... oh he never, he only wrote the word in a tweet?

It's funny how irate some people get over something that doesn't involve them, or actually affect them in any way.
  • Options
    bring back robbie
  • Options
    edited July 2012

bring back robbie

And the dog, Wellard. Or was it sonia

• Options
    As I think he is dog shit as a keeper I say sack him but if it was anyone else I would say stereotypical thick as shit footballer who doesn't know his holocaust from his danger mouse
  • Options

As I think he is dog shit as a keeper I say sack him but if it was anyone else I would say stereotypical thick as shit footballer who doesn't know his holocaust from his danger mouse

You sound lovely
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Athletico said -
    "People should be more careful about what they right on Twitter"
    Classic. If only footballers were as careful as Athletico, write on Brother.

Holocaust is a word that existed a long time (the ancient Greeks) before the terrible tragedy in WW2.
    In modern language 'The Holocaust' refers to this Nazi outrage. The word is not exclusively used in this context and is often applied to other acts of warfare (the war in the former Yugoslavia and the bombing of Hiroshima and Nagasaki being some examples.)

Hamer's comments were probably careless, definitely ill judged but were they Anti Semitic (although this term also applies to Arabs as well as Jews) - highly unlikely.

In my opinion this topic is preposterous.
  • Options
    I think somebody at the club should have a word though. At the moment, nobody is much interested in Hamer outside of Charlton, but the press could easily latch on to ill considered comments if he is news worthy which is possible if he becomes a Premiership keeper. Could be a good learning point for him.
  • Options
    Surely it's about context

By me typing that Hamer has had a holocaust by writing that on twitter

Does it make me racist, insensitive , anti semitic

No it doesn't it means that my choice of words doesn't sit well with some people well that's tough because in the context in which it's meant it is easy to see nothing was meant by it

Its a nothing theres nothing to say on the issue
  • Options
    edited July 2012
    Surely a mod can close this thread now? it's becoming boring.

Unless there is another Bertie Smalls lurking about, quick to dish the dirt??

Seems thats all people are interested in.
  • Options
    IdleHans said:

Umm, I think this is mountains and molehills but anyway...
    "Holocaust" was a word before WW2 and simply means great destruction, usually by fire. Only since WW2 has it become almost synonymous with genocide, when described as "The Holocaust". Hamer didnt do that - he said "a holocaust" - so if the valet at Gatwick had set fire to his car, he'd be right. although I reckon we've all given this much more thought than Ben.

Not too sure that your point is completely valid. Regardless of previous or dictionary meanings of the word, Holocaust has whether we like it or not become solely associated with genocide in Nazi Germany and now nothing else. I give you the word Gay. When I was a kid it meant happy and carefree but it is not a word that anyone would now use unless in reference to the homosexual community. Language changes and adapts as do overall impact of words.

• Options

IdleHans said:

"Holocaust" was a word before WW2 and simply means great destruction, usually by fire. Only since WW2 has it become almost synonymous with genocide, when described as "The Holocaust". Hamer didnt do that - he said "a holocaust" - so if the valet at Gatwick had set fire to his car, he'd be right. although I reckon we've all given this much more thought than Ben.

Not too sure that your point is completely valid. Regardless of previous or dictionary meanings of the word, Holocaust has whether we like it or not become solely associated with genocide in Nazi Germany and now nothing else. I give you the word Gay. When I was a kid it meant happy and carefree but it is not a word that anyone would now use unless in reference to the homosexual community. Language changes and adapts as do overall impact of words.

No it hasn't.
  • Options
    I made the assumption that the word had changed meaning and now the kids use it on the road.

Unfortunately though it didn't go down too well at work. People are so precious these days
  • Options
    IdleHans said:

Absolutely this. Would any of those castigating a young goalkeeper, like to have a pop at the writers of these lines:

"There are women ... whose household labours resounds [with] the constant ringing of crashing china and glasses ... Those glasses that escape the holocaust of housework ..." ( Palestine Post, 26 July 1946, p. 8, cols. 1-2)

"When Major Percival has made a holocaust of your letters.'' OED holocaust (1883) Mrs. Croker Pretty Miss Neville III. 124

"Where you might have seen
    His conscience holocausted to his spleen
    . ''
    OED holocaust (1651) Cleveland Poems 52

"The first principles of holocaustic sacrifice.'' OED holocaust (1871) R. B. Vaughan St. Thomas of Aquin II. 920
  • Options
    SE10 said:

Stebo said:

it's like the swastika and toothbrush moustaches, now there too closely associated with Hitler and nazis.

The swastika died out because it took a good 4 attempts to draw it correctly...
    Are you suggesting that a good luck symbol that had been used for thousands of years should suddenly cease to be used because people lost the ability to draw it? And what of Hindus who still use the symbol, how come they can still draw it when the rest of us can't? Maybe Vishnu stepped in to preserve the Hindu's natural artistic talent, whilst the rest of the world lost it.

There is one reason, and one reason only, why the swastika has died out in all but a few religious groups. That is because it is completely and utterly tainted by its association with a brutal, barbaric and completely failed politically ideology.
  • Options
    new labour?
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Greenie said:

Don't think Hamer meant anything nasty in is tweet. I would just like to point out to posters who think 21, 22, 23 is 'young kids'. During the war, aircrews were made up of 19, 20, 21 year olds etc. My father-in-law was the 'old man' at 26. That sort of thing I find amasing. Youngsters find a maturity when they have to.

Yes we oldens know all this mate, last I knew we dont live in the middle of a war, so you point is irrelevant to Hamer and other 21, 22, 23 years olds who live in todays world. They dont have to be grown up or educated about such things as the holocaust or WW2. I would guess that most of the aforementioned age bracket dont know who were the Axis and who were the Allies in WW2. Also I didnt mention 'young kids' just 'kids'. But thanks for pointing it out.
    Take your comment on board but our 'kids' are in the middle of a few wars: Afganstan and Stratford. Sorry for straying a bit off orginal thread!
  • Options
    can't believe there is a phrase called facebook r*pe, when someone picks up your phone or laptop that you have stupidly left open, and posts something off on your profile.
  • Options
    sensitive bunch
  • Options
    imagine if it were John Terry or Joey Barton tweeting it.
  • Options

IdleHans said:

Agree language changes, but I take issue with this point - "Nuclear holocaust" was the great fear of the cold war through the 70s and 80s (and may yet resurface), though it had nothing to do with the Jews - it was much more in keeping with its original definition, even in post-WW2 use.
  • Options
    Stig said:

SE10 said:

Stebo said:

it's like the swastika and toothbrush moustaches, now there too closely associated with Hitler and nazis.

Are you suggesting that a good luck symbol that had been used for thousands of years should suddenly cease to be used because people lost the ability to draw it? And what of Hindus who still use the symbol, how come they can still draw it when the rest of us can't? Maybe Vishnu stepped in to preserve the Hindu's natural artistic talent, whilst the rest of the world lost it.

There is one reason, and one reason only, why the swastika has died out in all but a few religious groups. That is because it is completely and utterly tainted by its association with a brutal, barbaric and completely failed politically ideology.
    Whoooosh
  • Options
    edited July 2012
    Yer pwopa nawty banter init.

I reckon my arse could come out with funnier stuff. Not his best work but life goes on.
  • Options
    Ignore that, I'm only 20 years old and I know fuck all. Now if someone would kindly remind me how to use the toilet I'd be much obliged. I'm sitting here at my desk at work pissing all over the shop.
  • Options
    SE10 said:

Stig said:

SE10 said:

Stebo said:

Whoooosh
    I can explain it again if you like ;-)