Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Most overrated albums in music.

Comments

• Must admit for me, Weller's last three albums have all been ridiculously hyped/praised by the press, a lot of songs on them are unlistenable - imo he's forgotten how to write a decent tune, though I appreciate he's trying to experiment and try new stuff still, which is pretty admirable. I say this being a huge fan of his solo stuff up to 1996.

Sargeant Pepper was definitely a milestone as an album, but to me it's the most overrated Beatles album... too much filler for me (Good Morning, Good Morning, Lovely Rita, Within You Without You etc etc). Again, coming from a huge Beatles fan. Would say any of their later period albums were better (excluding Let It Be)
  • Actually, I quite like the raw unpolished "Let It Be" album; it's got an edge about it.

My vinyl copy has the red apple label - is that a USA edition, perhaps?
    Incorruptible will know, I expect?
  • Lots of albums are commerically succesful without being all that good - anything by the black eyed peas for example - but that doesn't mean they are highly rated perhaps. There are some non-commercial albums that are highly rated by the music press, like Nick Drake's Bryter Later, which is often quoted in top 10s of best albums ever. I really don't think it's all that good!
  • Surely all music is subjective - you don't really need anyone to tell you it's good or poor.

• I am a big fan of The Who but think Tommy is really overrrated lots of filler between some great songs
  • In terms of jazz Ah Um by Charles Mingus is excellent.
    Is it overrated though?
  • Lots of albums are commerically succesful without being all that good - anything by the black eyed peas for example - but that doesn't mean they are highly rated perhaps. There are some non-commercial albums that are highly rated by the music press, like Nick Drake's Bryter Later, which is often quoted in top 10s of best albums ever. I really don't think it's all that good!
    Anything by the black eyes peas? I would try the first two albums before the got famous or brought Fergie in. Both very good albums

• edited July 2012
    totally agree with previous posters about Nirvana-Nevermind.

i will add anything by the Red Hot Chilli Peppers-utter dross.

and i will also add that The Stone Roses is my favourite album of all time, there is not one bad song on there and it brings back fantastic memories.

Anything by the black eyes peas? I would try the first two albums before the got famous or brought Fergie in. Both very good albums

Agree with this, Eazy E must be turning in his grave at what they have done since then
  • Sponsored links:

• Surely all music is subjective - you don't really need anyone to tell you it's good or poor.

Quite true. I'm an obsessive fan of Todd Rundgren, but always feel slightly disappointed when I fail to turn any of my mates or colleagues onto his music.

• totally agree with previous posters about Nirvana-Nevermind.

i will add anything by the Red Hot Chilli Peppers-utter dross.

and i will also add that The Stone Roses is my favourite album of all time, there is not one bad song on there and it brings back fantastic memories.

Blood, Sugar, Sex, Magic is a work of Genius. After that they became standard boring Stadium rock.
  • Agree about Nevermind. One good track - Smells Like Teen Spirit. Come As You Are amuses me, but only because it's like a slowed down rip-off of Killing Jokes '80s.

If ever there was an album that was popular mainly because of the cover, this is it.
    Is it overrated though?
    Yeah fair point, ain't got a clue. Anyway can jazz be said to be rated in any form? I dunno, just this album impresses me a lot.

• Thank god for Bill_Stumps above. Please read his post because what he says about Sgt Pepper could be applied to lots of the other albums that are being written off on this thread. Music is undefinable and totally subjective. Music can define an era or the feeling of the moment (which explains both Definately Maybe and Nevermind's success for example). Music is like the sense of smell - it evokes memories and makes us feel happy or sad for no explicable reason. I hate both Simply Red and Coldplay for example but they have both written one song (which is not necessarily other people's favourite) that I love. I know why I love these songs but sometimes I love a song and I don't know why: the reason is in my subconcious.

This thread is about the most pointless I've ever read on Charlton Life.

Oh well takes all sorts Blackheath...... That album of Nick's album is in my top 10, along with Joni Mitchell's Blue, along with a fair dose of Hendrix, and guitar based prog rock, and blues. After Leige and Leif, probably the folk album, NIck's album was written at the turning point in his life into severe depression, but what talent that guy had. Like most of my favourite album's the artist/s are dead.
  • I find this thread quite interesting.

What we are (or should be) discussing here are albums lauded as being great by journalists, DJs and the general public, that we think are undeserving of that praise. Sgt Pepper is one of the best examples - generally regarded as a seminal album, it seems a fair few lifers think it's bollocks!
  • Any Kasabian or Oasis...

Love me indie me, but tried listening to albums from both bands and often wonder how these two receive such praise. Kasabian's latest record is bloody awful.

• Music is totally down to opinions, personally I cant stand The Smiths, Stone Roses etc, so they will always be utter pelt. Same goes for DJ's (Fat-Slim-Bloke etc) who are feted as modern rock stars (the old, 'they take me on an uplifting journey') which of course is ridiculous, they just play artists records.
    Regarding Sgt Pepper, Dark Side of the Moon etc, technically they may be excellent or groundbreaking albums, but because I dont like PF, again it will insult my ears. As I said in a previous post I think the Beatles Revolver is a better album than Pepper.
    Its a bit like Peter Crouch, I don't care if he scored a hatrick in every game for England and won us the World Cup, he doesnt look right, he should not play football and I would never put him in an England shirt.
  • edited July 2012
    Thank god for Bill_Stumps above. Please read his post because what he says about Sgt Pepper could be applied to lots of the other albums that are being written off on this thread. Music is undefinable and totally subjective. Music can define an era or the feeling of the moment (which explains both Definately Maybe and Nevermind's success for example). Music is like the sense of smell - it evokes memories and makes us feel happy or sad for no explicable reason. I hate both Simply Red and Coldplay for example but they have both written one song (which is not necessarily other people's favourite) that I love. I know why I love these songs but sometimes I love a song and I don't know why: the reason is in my subconcious.

This thread is about the most pointless I've ever read on Charlton Life.
    great post.
    its all subjective.

however i wouldn’t say its the most pointless thread, there's stiff competition in that category.
  • Sponsored links:

• edited July 2012
    Music is totally down to opinions, personally I cant stand The Smiths, Stone Roses etc, so they will always be utter pelt. Same goes for DJ's (Fat-Slim-Bloke etc) who are feted as modern rock stars (the old, 'they take me on an uplifting journey') which of course is ridiculous, they just play artists records.
    Regarding Sgt Pepper, Dark Side of the Moon etc, technically they may be excellent or groundbreaking albums, but because I dont like PF, again it will insult my ears.
    You sound like a right barrel of laughs....

....are you Roy Cropper by any chance?

• Music is totally down to opinions, personally I cant stand The Smiths, Stone Roses etc, so they will always be utter pelt. Same goes for DJ's (Fat-Slim-Bloke etc) who are feted as modern rock stars (the old, 'they take me on an uplifting journey') which of course is ridiculous, they just play artists records.
    Regarding Sgt Pepper, Dark Side of the Moon etc, technically they may be excellent or groundbreaking albums, but because I dont like PF, again it will insult my ears.

I assume you disagree young lady!

Roy Cropper, great guitarist, didn't he play with Otis Reading on the album 'Coronation'?

Roy Cropper, great guitarist, didn't he play with Otis Reading on the album 'Coronation'?
    Are you thinking of Steve Cropper ? .. he's also the guitarman in Booket T & The MGs .. the Stax studio band
  • I don't think liking music or not is merely subjective. That's why the title of this thread makes it quite interesting. Isn't what we are talking about here albums that people - both music critics and general listeners - haven't dared say "actually that's pants/average/mediocre" because they are afraid of being ridiculed by their peers?
    So they just jump on the bandwagon; it's easier. (Should that be the rock bandwagon I wonder?) For example, I would put Pete Doherty firmly in the overrated category. But that's not his fault: in 15 years he's put out material sufficient to fill the number of albums that Neil Young would probably have knocked out in a year. It was the unwarranted media coverage that made you think Doherty must be better than he really was. In 2004 Doherty was voted to be joint No. 1 in NME's 2004 Cool List. Is anyone really going to say: "Well really he's just a nasty little moron that needs a good wash"?
    Now, in the cold light of day, you just sit down and think to yourself, hey, that material's not as good as everyone said it was.

Are you thinking of Steve Cropper ? .. he's also the guitarman in Booket T & The MGs .. the Stax studio band
    Yes Lincs, my response was tongue in cheek, I believe Roy Cropper is/was a bloke out of Coronation Street, hence my veiled reference to the album Coronation, I dont think Otis made such an album!!

Steve Cropper also appeared in The Blues Brothers film I think.
  • I don't think liking music or not is merely subjective. That's why the title of this thread makes it quite interesting. Isn't what we are talking about here albums that people - both music critics and general listeners - haven't dared say "actually that's pants/average/mediocre" because they are afraid of being ridiculed by their peers?
    So they just jump on the bandwagon; it's easier. (Should that be the rock bandwagon I wonder?) For example, I would put Pete Doherty firmly in the overrated category. But that's not his fault: in 15 years he's put out material sufficient to fill the number of albums that Neil Young would probably have knocked out in a year. It was the unwarranted media coverage that made you think Doherty must be better than he really was. In 2004 Doherty was voted to be joint No. 1 in NME's 2004 Cool List. Is anyone really going to say: "Well really he's just a nasty little moron that needs a good wash"?
    Now, in the cold light of day, you just sit down and think to yourself, hey, that material's not as good as everyone said it was.
    Very good post!

Yes Lincs, my response was tongue in cheek, I believe Roy Cropper is/was a bloke out of Coronation Street, hence my veiled reference to the album Coronation, I dont think Otis made such an album!!

Steve Cropper also appeared in The Blues Brothers film I think.
    Cheers !!
  • edited July 2012
    your right, we are talking about albums that critics often over rate and are afraid of ridicule if they put them down. which is fair enough. Pete Doherty is dramaticly over rated and has made a fair bit of money from it. No one challenges this. For me i find Amy winehouses music average and boring yet no music press would dare say this. especially since her death.

That’s what i think of Amy winehouse. when it comes to your own opinion, I’m certainly not going to be scared of saying what i like and what i don’t like, it’s my opinion. (If i met the band/artist who made it i might lie a little.)
    so it becomes subjective, its whatever you think of the album, no matter what others say. its your own personal thoughts and it cant be judged by anybody else.
    the critics such as the NME are in the business to hype albums up, its like brain washing. the artic monkeys were good but were they as good as the music press suggested they were?
    In the NME recently they did a list of the 100 best tracks over the last 60 years, number 1 was joy division's "love will tear us apart" a great track but could easily be argued with for that number 1 spot. its their opinion, what they think is the best track. you can say no, Katy perrys "i kissed a girl" is the best track. I'm sure there are some people who will say this. will they be right? no? yes? up to them really.
  • I don't think it's completely pointless. For example there was someone who is a fan of the Beach Boys who thinks Pet Sounds is overrated. But people who don't like the Smiths saying that The Queen is Dead is crap is pretty pointless.
  • Any of JJ Cale's albums. Just one song over and over in a tastefully laid back way. Dreck.

Although back in the day the ladies did seem to like listening to him whilst being romanced......