Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Most overrated albums in music.

Comments

• Totally underrated albums - Daryl hall : sacred songs and the chameleons : any of their first three recordings starting with the script of the bridge
    Agree about the Chameleons.

Just about the most under-rated band of all time!
  • mark burgess is still playing gigs as Chameleons Vox .saw them at the o2 islington recently and the place was rammed.
  • Anything by U2
    u know f--k all

Thank God for that then
    Anything by U2
    u know f--k all

Thank God for that then
    Anything by U2
    u know f--k all

Thank God for that then
    sorry about the abuse bit p-ssed off at the time, but everyone likes different music all down to taste, must apologise.
    No problem. As Patti Smith said 'its only Rock n Roll but I like it'
  • No-one mentioned Dire Straits yet? The media-worship of them & bloody Springsteen in the mid-80s.. jesus!
  • For me anything by oasis because of the poxy thin moaning voice of the gallagher who does the singing, fingernails on a blackboard to my ears.
  • Anything by U2
    u know f--k all

Thank God for that then
    Anything by U2
    u know f--k all

Thank God for that then
    Anything by U2
    u know f--k all

Thank God for that then
    sorry about the abuse bit p-ssed off at the time, but everyone likes different music all down to taste, must apologise.

Or to quote another Patti classic "you don't need a weather man to know which way the wind blows"
  • Anything by U2
    u know f--k all

Thank God for that then
    Anything by U2
    u know f--k all

Thank God for that then
    Anything by U2
    u know f--k all

Thank God for that then

Or to quote another Patti classic "you don't need a weather man to know which way the wind blows"
    or to quote another Patti ditty

Over the cloud, over the bridge,
    sensitive muscle, sensitive ridge of my
    space monkey. Sign of the time-time
    Space monkey, so outta line-line.
    Space monkey, sort of divine.
    And he's mine, mine, all mine.
  • Radio 6 listeners created an interesting top ten, with the usual suspects already discussed on this thread, but with
    Nirvana - Nevermind
    as their number 1 over-rated album of all time
  • Radio 6 listeners created an interesting top ten, with the usual suspects already discussed on this thread, but with
    Nirvana - Nevermind
    as their number 1 over-rated album of all time
    Anywhere I can view this list? Would be interested to see it.
  • The R6 list

1. Nirvana - Nevermind

"One great single maybe but the rest is irritating second rate rock with mindless whining that had, has been, and is being written everywhere by admittedly less pretty and tragic characters."
    Greg Spellman, Northamptonshire

"There were many better bands - Dinosaur Jr, Mudhoney, The Pixies - who came before. Nirvana just came along at the right time and captured that Zeitgeist and then became the marketing mans dream."
    Ewan Swain

"Whilst I quite enjoy "In Uetro" I can't see what all the fuss about 'Nevermind' is about. Other than "Smells like..." there really isn't a decent tune on there."
    Chris, Birmingham

2) COLDPLAY - X&Y (2005)

3) THE LIBERTINES - THE LIBERTINES (2004)

4) OASIS - DEFINITELY MAYBE (1994)

5) U2 - THE JOSHUA TREE (1987)

6) RADIOHEAD - OK COMPUTER (1997)

7) THE BEATLES - SGT PEPPER'S LONELY HEARTS CLUB BAND (1967)

8) THE BEACH BOYS - PET SOUNDS (1966)

9) SEX PISTOLS - NEVER MIND THE BOLLOCKS (1977)

10) THE SMITHS - THE QUEEN IS DEAD (1986)

• Sponsored links:

• The R6 list

1. Nirvana - Nevermind

"One great single maybe but the rest is irritating second rate rock with mindless whining that had, has been, and is being written everywhere by admittedly less pretty and tragic characters."
    Greg Spellman, Northamptonshire

"There were many better bands - Dinosaur Jr, Mudhoney, The Pixies - who came before. Nirvana just came along at the right time and captured that Zeitgeist and then became the marketing mans dream."
    Ewan Swain

"Whilst I quite enjoy "In Uetro" I can't see what all the fuss about 'Nevermind' is about. Other than "Smells like..." there really isn't a decent tune on there."
    Chris, Birmingham

2) COLDPLAY - X&Y (2005)

3) THE LIBERTINES - THE LIBERTINES (2004)

4) OASIS - DEFINITELY MAYBE (1994)

5) U2 - THE JOSHUA TREE (1987)

6) RADIOHEAD - OK COMPUTER (1997)

7) THE BEATLES - SGT PEPPER'S LONELY HEARTS CLUB BAND (1967)

8) THE BEACH BOYS - PET SOUNDS (1966)

9) SEX PISTOLS - NEVER MIND THE BOLLOCKS (1977)

10) THE SMITHS - THE QUEEN IS DEAD (1986)

Cheers, very interesting.
  • Edit - sorry, HI beat me to it.
    Seems a good amalgamation of ideas - I could add some personal choices, but it is hard to remove any from their list
  • 3, 9 and 10 are just so wrong.
  • Basically that list is the most popular those bands have released, therefore because the 6 music crowd would not be seen dead liking an album that is popular by the masses it is therefore over rated. I like 6 music but there are a lot of pretentious arses who listen
  • Cheers, I listen all the time!

I think 4 and 6 are fantastic albums, 4 in my opinion being better than Morning Glory.
  • Is there one 'significant' album in the world that 90% of us agree is an excellent album?
    Like Grace?
    or
    Jailbreak?
  • Is there one 'significant' album in the world that 90% of us agree is an excellent album?
    Wish you were here?
  • yeah 'wish you were here' seems pretty well liked......so far
  • Surfs Up...The Beach Boys.
  • Wild Wood by Paul Weller got critical acclaim but left me cold. Come to think of it, anything from him after The Jam was underwhelming.
  • Sponsored links:

• I like a lot by echo and the bunnymen ,simple minds and lou reed but I have to say that porcupine , life in a day and metal music machine are all unlistenable for different reasons ,the latter perhaps deliberately so.
  • Berlin - Lou Reed
  • watching them on bbc 3 has just reminded me...

Kasabian.
  • edited July 2012
    Is there one 'significant' album in the world that 90% of us agree is an excellent album?
    Like Grace?
    or
    Jailbreak?
    I think most people agree that Revolver is a stupendous album.

As far as Sgt Pepper is concerned, I understand why anyone who wasn't around in 1967 would think that it is overrated but pretty much everything about that album was ground breaking - from the psychedelic pop art of the cover, the radical sleeve design and even the printed lyrics to the innovative and imaginative production, the introduction of sounds and instrumentation that were entirely new and the quality and challenging nature of the songwriting.

Sgt Pepper brought concept albums to a new level. It single-handedly gained popular music a respect it had never had before and opened the way for modern musicians to be taken seriously. Not in an up-their-own-arse kind of way but as capable and talented performers and composers. Even if some of these things were being or had already been done by other bands - I have heard it said that some bands particularly in America were doing similar experimental things around this time - the influence of the Beatles was such that this album reached around the world and quickly came to represent the culture of a generation. I think it is hard for anyone who was not around in the sixties to understand how big the Beatles were and how important and influential they were, not just musically but culturally. There is simply nothing and nobody like them around now to compare them to. In my opinion, it is just impossible to overrate the Beatles, their influence is so wide-ranging. What would have happened if they hadn't existed? Difficult to say - but certainly we wouldn't have had the music industry we've had for the last fifty years without them.

By the way, I agree with all the comments on Pet Sounds - I, too, have tried my darndest to get into that album and just don't get it (although Here Today is one of my favourite Beach Boys songs). Likewise I have never understood the reverence some people have for OK Computer.
  • Couldn't agree more Bill the first time i heard Sgt. Pepper was when our history teacher came into class with a record player and said "Forget lessons to day listen to this it is history" we all sat there transfixed.

So my vote for most overrrated album "The seldom see kid" by Elbow one or two good tracks but generally boring
  • watching them on bbc 3 has just reminded me...

Kasabian.
    Fair point, some decent songs but albums as a whole aren't up to much
  • 9. Never mind the Bollocks - Is it highly rated? I think it is accepted for what it is - it isn't the best punk album (in my opinion) but I don't think anyone can deny the impact it made.
  • Well put Bill. Although I wasn't old enough in the sixties, I DO appreciate how groundbreaking it was. Sixty or seventy percent of my collection is from before I was old enough to appreciate music, and I am interested in the history of music, which helps.
  • Wild Wood by Paul Weller got critical acclaim but left me cold. Come to think of it, anything from him after The Jam was underwhelming.
    I actually think Wild Wood is vastly surperior to Stanley Road, which was hailed as something approaching a masterpiece at the time. I'm been a big supporter of Weller's solo career, but the last two albums... no thanks. Particularly Wake Up The Nation. His voice is incredibly mannered, there's murky, muddy production, with some of the tracks sounding like half-finished demos.
  • 9. Never mind the Bollocks - Is it highly rated? I think it is accepted for what it is - it isn't the best punk album (in my opinion) but I don't think anyone can deny the impact it made.
    But I think that's the problem with most of that list, the vast majority of albums there introduced a new generation to that band/genre. Not necessarily the best albums but the influence they had was enormous, being too young when Nirvana first came out my first knowledge of them came from Nevermind, this then in turn introduced me to others Pixies, Sonic Youth, Smashing Pumpkins, Soundgarden etc. I agree In Utero was probably better as others have said but Nevermind on a personal level was massive and I suspect for a lot of other people the same would be said.